Tire Upsize Guide

Hello All,
I am new to this forum and need expert help. I have booked Honda Amaze and delivery is expected in about 2 weeks. While I am quite excited about the car, I was a little disappointed with the tyre size. The stock tyres are 175/65 R14 which I think is too puny for this size of the car. Planning to upsize and the dealer I got in touch with gave me 2 options - 195/55 R15 and 205/50 R15. Can someone please help me with the option, and if anyone has upsized to R15, and to what size. Assistance in this will greatly help me. Thanks!!

Hi, my 3 year old stock MRF Zvtv tyres of Honda Brio is all dried up and started shreading though the tread is not worn that much (Tyre dealer said its a common problem with MRF and JK tyres. Is it so?). The tyre size is 175 65 R14, the car is vibrating slightly at lower speeds due to this tyre wear. So I am planning to upsize the tyres by retaining the 14" alloys. What is the safest upsize without much compromise in FE which provides better handling and grip. Any specific models, brands to suggest?. Michelin, Yokohama (Just for better looks?), Bridgestone are in my preferred list. What about 195 60 R14? Is this size available easily?

It would be a great help if the thread starter or some other experts could come up with a response.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #33
Honda Brio
Michelin, Yokohama (Just for better looks?), Bridgestone are in my preferred list.
What about 195 60 R14? Is this size available easily?
195/60R14 is the best possible upgrade from 175/65R14 (Same as City ZX & Ford Classic) This improves the braking and handling drastically compromising the FE portion (but negligible) My friend's Brio is running with 195/60R14 XM2 from Michelin for over 20k km without any issues.

Is it true if the rims and tyres are upsized, you lose warranty on suspensions and steering wheel column. Honda dealer is suggesting not to upsize and they have been getting complains of suspensions getting harder with upsized tyres and alloys in about 20K run of the car

Thread Starter #35
Is it true if the rims and tyres are upsized, you lose warranty on suspensions and steering wheel column. Honda dealer is suggesting not to upsize and they have been getting complains of suspensions getting harder with upsized tyres and alloys in about 20K run of the car
Yes, Tire / wheel upsize will void the warranty on certain parts (including the body) Suspension parts will not turn hard, net stiffness characteristics of the vehicle will increase due to change in Tire stiffness (either due to stiffer compound or reduction in Tire wall height --> Aspect ratio)

What to Look For in Your New Tires

Regarding tires, there area unit a minimum of one or two of things that we all know of course. First, they are available altogether sizes and kinds, betting on vehicle sort, season, and traction needs, to call some. Second, tires don’t last forever, from as very little as twenty,000 miles to eighty,000 miles, and will, sooner or later, need replacement.
When it comes time for replacement, there area unit usually 2 ways in which to travel regarding it. a way is to easily raise your sure technician for replacement tires, all-season tires for a 2005 Toyota RAV4, as an example, and he’ll search a listing of tires that area unit designed to suit the vehicle. the sole issue you, as a client, might need to try to to is make a choice from brands and models. On the opposite hand, you may leave buying tires on your own, at that purpose it becomes slightly additional sophisticated.

The Basics of Tire Size Designations
Aside from the complete and model designation, the numbers is also the foremost relevant a part of buying a tire. the primary letter, if gift signifies whether or not the tire is selected for a railcar or lightweight truck. In our 2 examples, P255/40R17 is for a railcar, and LT33/12.50R15 is for a light-weight truck. viewing the 2 tires, it'd appear obvious, however the knowledge is there for comparison. consequent a part of the listing refers to the dimensions of the tire. To note, the “/” is a centrifuge and, contrary to fashionable thought, “R” doesn't talk to Rim diameter, however to the very fact that the tire uses Radial construction, as opposition older bias construction sorts.

Load and Speed Designations
Depending on application, these numbers will vary wide. when the tire size information, consequent number-and-letter combination refers to load and speed capability of the tire at forty two psi. detain mind, however, that every explicit vehicle has its own counseled tire pressure specifications, which every vehicle and driver has their own limitations once it involves speed and handling.

Hello All,

This is my very 1st post on this site, to all the experts out there
I have been driving my etios Liva GD 3 years now and have come close to completing 45000 km on the odo. The stock Bridgestone 175/65/R14 tyres don't really look all that worn(will post pics of the tyres soon). I think i need to upgrade the tires now or in the next couple months.

All suggestions/advice welcome. Please let me know what would be the right upsize
Im thinking 195/65 R14 or 15.

Thanks again.

^^For Liva and its kerb weight as well as power on tap, I guess 185/65 R14 is good enough. In case you are a bit more enthusiastic then you can try out 195/60 R14, nothing more than that is needed.

Yeah i was actually thinking about the 195 section tyres. Don't remember seeing too many livas with broader tyres on road except for a few & the ones that i spotted on road were definitely a pleasant sight to watch.
Any known or related issues to upsizing to 195 section tyres?
Also I'm thinking about giving Continental tyres a shot - heard its a good brand too.
I've used bridgestone on this so far and have no complaints, decent set with good overall performance.
Michelin i think has more life compared to the others and ive also tried yokohama as well.
Gurus/pundits --- your input on continental tyres will be a great help.

^^ Try 195/60 R14 in Continental Premium Contact. I know someone who is using them on older gen Figo and the performance is really satisfying.
Your ride height will be increased by (117-113.75) 3.25 mm at max if you upgrade from 175/65 to 195/60.

Last edited:
HI all I have Beat Diesel i have Stock Rim and Tyre of Goodyear size is 165/65 R14 .what U all Suggest for Beat .current tyer Noise level is too much Inside the cabin even on Good highway road .i want silent tyre and more grip wide tyre i Have Two Choices, now i have question below,

1.Can I Go For 15'tyre ! ?
2.is there any issue with suspension or other things
3.i Run on high speed Some time near 130kmph ! is there safe if i Upsize

Last edited:
^^ Try 195/60 R14 in Continental Premium Contact. I know someone who is using them on older gen Figo and the performance is really satisfying.
Your ride height will be increased by (117-113.75) 3.25 mm at max if you upgrade from 175/65 to 195/60.
Yeah but the car cant take full load if upgraded to 195/60/R14 or R15 I guess. I'm not too worried about the power - she can do 120-140 on the highways without stress which is more than enough.
I'm not sure if there's an ownership thread of the liva or if someone has done this this kinda upgrade already.

HI all I have Beat Diesel i have Stock Rim and Tyre of Goodyear size is 165/65 R14 .what U all Suggest for Beat .current tyer Noise level is too much Inside the cabin even on Good highway road .i want silent tyre and more grip wide tyre i Have Two Choices, now i have question below,

I'm not an expert but I think an upgrade of 175 or 185 sections would be good choices Of course you also have to consider the technical factors.
What make of tyres are you running on currently?
You should definitely consider your personal mechanic or if you know a trusted person at the showroom works.

Completely forgot to post the pic of my tyre. All of the tyres look like this with the remaining treading. I think i can wait a while before changing.

An example as to what 15 inch might look like on your car.

Attachments

hello all
my new car swift dzire vdi tyres are jk tornados and I read somewhere in forums that jk tyres are made with hard compounds
so road noise is higher is it true ??
and I'm feeling lots and lots of vibrations and road noise filter into the cabin and u know that is irritating at some times
so I want to change the tyres to some comfortable type ones ,and I hear xm2s are cool
vdi stock tyre size 165/80/r14
need comfort and less vibrations
should I stick with stock size or upsize ??
comfort is the main priority
xm2 or any other suggestions!

Last edited:
A veteran tyre mechanic in my city told me MRF, JK tyres have less rubber content, from what he have seen they tend to get dried up and starts to shred if you keep it unused for some time and road noise and wear rate are comparitively high. He said Apollo is the better one among other indian tyres, though he stocks JK tyres. Michelin XM2 is a good choice for performance and driving comfort. I have seen many people upsizing in Swift, it will improve handling anyway. But make sure the speedo error, change in circumference etc are in the recommended limits. Please find the tire upsize calculator in post#06 of this thread.

Last edited:
A veteran tyre mechanic in my city told me MRF, JK tyres have less rubber content, from what he have seen they tend to get dried up and starts to shred if you keep it unused for some time and road noise and wear rate are comparitively high. He said Apollo is the better one among other indian tyres, though he stocks JK tyres. Michelin XM2 is a good choice for performance and driving comfort. I have seen many people upsizing in Swift, it will improve handling anyway. But make sure the speedo error, change in circumference etc are in the recommended limits. Please find the tire upsize calculator in post#06 of this thread.
185/70 r14 suits my requirements
I knew it before
and one more doubt
zdi tyre size 185/65 r15 and vdi 165 tyres which varient is tested for the ARAi figures
if it is with zdi so then can I get the same FE as with my 165 tyres
and is that speedometer error related to ECU ?
does vdi and zdi have different settings for speedometer according to their stock tyre size???

Last edited:

Top Bottom