Tire Upsize Guide

Thread Starter #16
One more negative point in Tire upsizing (increasing the overall diameter)

This will increase the vehicle Ground Clearance, on one hand it is very much favorable. But, the raised body level will have an effect on Jack
Jack height (or the max open height) is designed considering the jack point height (from ground) and the suspension rebound stroke (along with some margin considering the uneven surfaces) Once if the increased height is beyond the margin, OE jack couldn't help while changing the tires.

Thread Starter #18
I think that is unlikely jacks always have a fair amount of excess travel built in.
Yes, considering certain margin (like uneven surfaces, mud / non-solid surfaces, etc) But when you are in a situation where all those margins were already utilized and over and above we have a bigger tire, we will end up with tire still touching the ground even after expanding the jack to it's max height.

so... the B or J sizes are not revalent to width. i10 has simply 4 inch rims.
Thanks for the share..[:)]
Finally, got to clear out the misconception about the letter "J" in the case of rim size.[lol]

Even though the minimum required width is 4.5inch for the tire 175/70R13, still we can read here and there about people mounting this into their stock 4 inch rims. [confused]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes, considering certain margin (like uneven surfaces, mud / non-solid surfaces, etc) But when you are in a situation where all those margins were already utilized and over and above we have a bigger tire, we will end up with tire still touching the ground even after expanding the jack to it's max height.
that will only be for monster truck or extreme mods. adding a ride of 3% or more will require expensive mods to the suspension, wheel wells and what not. such people will buy new jacks anyways.

Hi Tyre Gurus...
I am getting my new WagonR VXi in another 10 days or so. I believe the stock tyres are 155/50R14. Without changing the rims, can I upsize to 175/50R14 ?
I am only looking for some better road grip as WagonR has a tall-boy design and broader tyres might give some better stability.
Please advise..

Hi Tyre Gurus...
I am getting my new WagonR VXi in another 10 days or so. I believe the stock tyres are 155/50R14. Without changing the rims, can I upsize to 175/50R14 ?
I am only looking for some better road grip as WagonR has a tall-boy design and broader tyres might give some better stability.
Please advise..
The stock tire size for wagon R VXI is 155/65/R14.
The maximum that you can go,without changing the rim is 175/60/R14.
Anything above will touch the wheel well.
With this also you will have 1.5 % speedometer correction.Means speedo will show you 60 but actually you will be travelling at 62.

Better still why dont you go for VXI with ABS which will give better stability and control.

With this also you will have 1.5 % speedometer correction.Means speedo will show you 60 but actually you will be travelling at 62.

Better still why dont you go for VXI with ABS which will give better stability and control.
This discussion has cleared most of my doubts..

Mine is WagonR LXI and comes with 145/80 R13. I have not more options available in this R13 section. If i upgrade to VXi tyre (155/65R14 ) by changing the steel rims, does it a big problem for my car as there are lot of options available in VXI type spec

Actually, as of now, the dealer does not have a stock of VXi ABS. And they are not going to get more as of now as it is year-end. If I wait until next stock is available, it will be new year and the discounts and offers being given presently will not be applicable. So I opted for VXi without ABS.

Actually, as of now, the dealer does not have a stock of VXi ABS. And they are not going to get more as of now as it is year-end. If I wait until next stock is available, it will be new year and the discounts and offers being given presently will not be applicable. So I opted for VXi without ABS.
@Ashwin Sad story!!! ,Same story !!! I went with Celerio VXi.[:D]
Anyway upgrade will cost you max 10K for all 5 tires.Check with a local tire dealer and make a deal with him for exchange on day 1 or 2 of your ownership itself.

@Kumar You can definitely go for R14 ,but upsizing may decrease the fuel efficiency a little bit.

Last edited:
This discussion has cleared most of my doubts..

Mine is WagonR LXI and comes with 145/80 R13. I have not more options available in this R13 section. If i upgrade to VXi tyre (155/65R14 ) by changing the steel rims, does it a big problem for my car as there are lot of options available in VXI type spec
The company claimed FE for both LXi and VXi versions are same; so I don't know how far the rim change and tyre upgrade to VXi tyre should effect you in terms of FE. But, I got to know from some of the people who have used the VXi variant that the stock tyres of VXi is pretty decent in terms of road grip.
So it should be a good upgrade for your LXi.

the stock size of my wagon r is 145/80/13, I want to change it to 165/65/13.
what are the cons?
how much it will affect fuel economy and comfort???

hi, wanted to upgrade my Tyre for my swift vdi. Was planning to upgrade to 185 width from the stock. which one could be a good pick. Which could be a better choice from the below
1, Michelin XM2
2, Yoko Earth One
3, Yoko A/ C drive
4, Good year duraplus ( 185)

Top Bottom