Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

How to Caluclate your average Fuel Effeciency

Hello Guys,

With the price of petrol steadily going north, fuel efficiency is becoming an even more important factor in our lives. Hence I give you a small and effective way to calculate the average fuel efficiency your car is returning. I guess the more seasoned members will be familiar with this method.

When you go to a filling station, top up your car and note the Odo reading(or reset your trip computer B, if your car has that). When the fuel gauge drops to 3/4th or Half, fill her up again, and check the amount of fuel you just put in. Check the Odo reading again and you will get the Distance travelled. Now that you have the distance travelled and the Fuel spent, you can calculate the average fuel efficiency your car returned in the distance traveled between the two Fill-ups.

Re: Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

Some tips which i know,

Do not accelerate too fast

Too quick acceleration consumes too much fuel, accelerate slowly and gradually. That will save quite a significant amount of fuel in city driving.

Try to keep a constant max speed

When driving in a city or highway, try to maintain a constant speed, that will help the engine put less effort to accelerate or decelerate unnecessarily. This will help reduce fuel consumption.

Buy fuel during morning hours

Buying fuel during morning hours makes sense, because the fuel is a liquid and cools during night hours as temperature is low, and it becomes more dense, so in night hours, you get more weight of fuel for same litres, so its like a bargain in fuel amount

Clean up the crap from the boot-space

Remove any un-necessary luggage or stuff that you don’t need from back space, that will let the car feel light and run easy on less fuel.

Re: How to Caluclate your average Fuel Effeciency

Hello Guys,

With the price of petrol steadily going north, fuel efficiency is becoming an even more important factor in our lives. Hence I give you a small and effective way to calculate the average fuel efficiency your car is returning. I guess the more seasoned members will be familiar with this method.

When you go to a filling station, top up your car and note the Odo reading(or reset your trip computer B, if your car has that). When the fuel gauge drops to 3/4th or Half, fill her up again, and check the amount of fuel you just put in. Check the Odo reading again and you will get the Distance travelled. Now that you have the distance travelled and the Fuel spent, you can calculate the average fuel efficiency your car returned in the distance traveled between the two Fill-ups.
It’s called top to method.
Subdivided to
A. Stop filling fuel when sensor in the dispensing pipe feels the fuel the mechanism automatically shut the supply.
B. Stop the dispensing fuel when you visibly see fuel in pipeline of the car.
C. Wait for some times let the fuel bubble settle and again fill fuel.

In above methods I have observed the about 4~5 lts difference though it’s called full tank.
When I got thuck sound of automatic dispenser fuel and reading was approx 32ltrs.
When I see the fuel reaching to border of pipeline reading was close to 37.
After settling the bubbles again filled final reading touched 40 ltrs.
I prefer B method coz observed the silage of fuel in C method.

Buy fuel during morning hours

Buying fuel during morning hours makes sense, because the fuel is a liquid and cools during night hours as temperature is low, and it becomes more dense, so in night hours, you get more weight of fuel for same litres, so its like a bargain in fuel amount
does this trick work for GAS too

Keep enough braking distance so that you can be more safe and your FE will increase dramatically as your brakes are being used less.

Its always important to look ahead, anticipate an idiot cutting into your lane to avoid braking hard. Keeps your FE in check and the backseaters dont curse you as well [:D].
No point in accelerating slowly, it will just annoy everybody behind you, accelerate at the normal rate that you generally do, reach desired speed and put the car in the highest gear for that speed.

Re: How to Caluclate your average Fuel Effeciency

It’s called top to method.
Subdivided to
A. Stop filling fuel when sensor in the dispensing pipe feels the fuel the mechanism automatically shut the supply.
B. Stop the dispensing fuel when you visibly see fuel in pipeline of the car.
C. Wait for some times let the fuel bubble settle and again fill fuel.

In above methods I have observed the about 4~5 lts difference though it’s called full tank.
When I got thuck sound of automatic dispenser fuel and reading was approx 32ltrs.
When I see the fuel reaching to border of pipeline reading was close to 37.
After settling the bubbles again filled final reading touched 40 ltrs.
I prefer B method coz observed the silage of fuel in C method.

I do the same while filling up, ideally in the evening when a queue is not there behind you. Jiggling the car after Step A generally makes the Step C faster. Even i have observed a difference of about 4 litres while using this method.

I have couple of questions in this regard.

I have filled Nitrogen air in my 800 and when i look the tyre presure it seems to be normal and I used to go for refilling once to two or three months when i cross a bunk where nitrogen air is available [ in the private tyre shop they are charging a lot ]. Will this have any impact in my FE?

Since I have m800 I do not have dead pedal near my clutch. instead of completly taking off the left leg from clutch i used to keep in there itself. I have noticed that am not just keeping it there but it is pressed a little bit [ not fully ]. am doing this cos, if i completely take it off when neccesary it is little bit difficult to take it back there. is this right ?

Thanks

I don't know still whether using Nitrogen increases the FE or not but certainly it is better as you don't have refill it again for 2-3 months atleast!

Yes placing your leg on the clutch pedal will not only harm the FE but also cause premature wearing of clutch plate. I suggest you stop this practice soon.

@sethumurugan - No it is not right. Keeping your clutch pressed will decrease the fe. Even if you car does not have a dead pedal, note most small cars dont, take off your foot once gear engaging exercise is over and keep it on the left side. Try to adopt this practice. I have driven so many of these small cars and never use Clutch pedal for resting my left foot.
It is also not advised as the clutch plate will worn off quickly.

does this trick work for GAS too
I do not know much but my friend runs his Alto on CNG and he prefers refilling during morning hours. According to him, he gets more gas during morning hours as compare to evening or afternoon. It could be due to pressure at pump but since he is satisfied I do not see any harm in it. [:)]

Tips to save fuel...

If you have a 4 cylinder engine car bought in recent 3-4 years, switch off the engine if its going to stand stationary for more than 35 seconds..

4 stroke Motorcycles under 200 cc- if more than 25 seconds,

4 stroke Motorcycles above 250 cc- if more than 30 Seconds..

Figures calculated on average basis.. Can vary on the basis of individual vehicle.. Save Fuel, Save earth... Save Money

If you have a 4 cylinder engine car bought in recent 3-4 years, switch off the engine if its going to stand stationary for more than 35 seconds..
4 stroke Motorcycles under 200 cc- if more than 25 seconds,
4 stroke Motorcycles above 250 cc- if more than 30 Seconds..
Figures are interesting, could you please share the logic behind these figures?
Also is it applicable only to 4 pot motor?

Top Bottom