Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

Re: Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

^^See my buddy,here are simple 5 tips:
  • Right air pressure in tyres.
  • Driving at constant speeds for long time.
  • It is advisabe to keep between 1500 to 2500 rpm in any gear to get best of the FE for Alto.
  • Drive when traffic is low.
  • Be soft on paddles and use them only when needed.

thanks guys, I got the FE check done by Dealer and I understood what it takes to get the expected mileage :)

1. Don't accelerate in first gear unless required.
2. Don't rev up more 1.5k RPM in any gear.
3. go to top gear asap.
4. Keep the foot off the clutch and be soft on acclerator.

I agree with all the suggestions here and thanks again :)

Lets share some mileage tips!

Hey fellow motorists. The fuel prices in india have shot up like rocket. Especially Petrol. I have few tips to get the best mileage out of your cars..

1. Drive at economy speed:

Drive around 40-60km/hr. Do not rev the engine too much. Change the gears at 2 or 2.5rpm, above that will strain your engine making it thirsty. When you see a red signal far away, put your car in neutral and slowly cruise to a stop.
Do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal.

2.Tyre pressure:

Driving with very low tyre pressure reduces your car mileage. Always check once a week and keep the tyre pressure up!

3. Check your air filter.

A dirty air filter restricts the flow of air into the engine, which harms performance and economy. Air filters are easy to check and change; remove the filter and hold it up to the sun. If you can't see light coming through it, you need a new one or clean it.

4.Clean your car:

More weight = More strain to engine and hence low mileage. Clean our your. take away all the junk items.

5.Acceleration & Gear shifting:

If you drive an automatic, accelerate moderately so the transmission can shift up into the higher gears. Stick-shifters should shift early to keep the revs down, but don't lug the engine, downshift if you need to accelerate. Keep an eye well down the road for potential slowdowns. If you accelerate to speed then have to brake right away, that's wasted fuel.

This is my top 5 mileage tips from my own experience and a bit of researching on the internet.. Hope it helps!

Feel free to share your tips too!

Happy motoring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Few Mileage tips!

This is going to be my first post after having been lurking here for years. I am so happy to participate in the discussion.

Fuel price is going up - at least diesel price will keep increasing every month. I came across this tips on fuel economy Improve Your Car Mileage

Some of the tips are not practical and some sound weird - like polishing your car for better mileage.
One thing is sure - I deliberately inflate my tires a bit on the higher side and I notice one extra km per liter.

Nice Thread ! A worn out clutch also affects mielage figures

This is going to be my first post after having been lurking here for years. I am so happy to participate in the discussion.

Fuel price is going up - at least diesel price will keep increasing every month. I came across this tips on fuel economy Improve Your Car Mileage

Some of the tips are not practical and some sound weird - like polishing your car for better mileage.
One thing is sure - I deliberately inflate my tires a bit on the higher side and I notice one extra km per liter.
Welcome to TAI Aiswarya

Just being curious - I was wondering why you were not posting and were only lurking ?

Re: Lets share some mileage tips!

GUYS, simple one from me do not push hard on the acc pedal,speed is no issue you can cruise gradually on high ways on the 5th gear on soft pressure on the pedal,and cut the throttle early if you know that you may need to apply the brake.
@Aish
One km/ltr on safari by increasing tyre pressure? if it is on long drives at day time then you dont have to do this, the pressure automatically increases as the air inside gets hot.

Last edited:

Nice Thread ! A worn out clutch also affects mielage figures

Welcome to TAI Aiswarya

Just being curious - I was wondering why you were not posting and were only lurking ?
Being a woman driver I tend to be careful on the road as well online too. So I was lurking in most forums. This is the first time I took the plunge. [:)]

@Alexddas Ok. I don't check the pressure often. So I consciously kept the pressure high and found that my mileage slightly increased.

Thanks for all the nice warm greetings.

Being a woman driver I tend to be careful on the road as well online too. So I was lurking in most forums. This is the first time I took the plunge. [:)]

@Alexddas Ok. I don't check the pressure often. So I consciously kept the pressure high and found that my mileage slightly increased.

Thanks for all the nice warm greetings.
Nitrogen instead of air may help people like you as you do not need frequent checking and you may get a better tyre mileage too.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i had a question.

i normally do cruising ( putting car in neutral ) when the car is going downhill. it's safe right ? or will it damage some parts ?

also , my car shows current fuel usage. that's in every 3-6 seconds it gets updated with new mileage figures , and i have noticed when i remove my foot from the accelerator , even when the car is in gear , the mileage just starts increasing.

i normally do cruising ( putting car in neutral ) when the car is going downhill. it's safe right ? or will it damage some parts ?
Driving downhill in neutral is not a safe driving practice.

Ideally, one should be in the same gear that would have used for going uphill (for that slope) for downhill also.

i had a question.

also , my car shows current fuel usage. that's in every 3-6 seconds it gets updated with new mileage figures , and i have noticed when i remove my foot from the accelerator , even when the car is in gear , the mileage just starts increasing.
If we are dicussing mileage then there is a light chance on mileage improvement and on safety, always drive and brake on gear.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Driving downhill in neutral is not a safe driving practice.

Ideally, one should be in the same gear that would have used for going uphill (for that slope) for downhill also.
ok thanks for confirming. will stop doing it from now on. yeah the car speed is normally around 50 so will keep the car in gear.

If we are dicussing mileage then there is a light chance on mileage improvement and on safety, always drive and brake on gear.
thanks alex. i'm glad that i asked and will stop doing this from now on because i thought this will improve mileage. but i guess keeping in gear and not accelerating will do the same.

Last tankful my petrol Etios gave me 14.66 kmpl. Quite happy to achieve this. The reason for the increase in the mileage was I drove the car for longer distances so as to allowing the engine reach it's optimum operating temperature and always kept the car in it's power band.

freakdude.

[:D] Speaking on mileage, Me & my friend achieved an unbelievable

45 KMPL - THATS RIGHT 45 KM to a liter of DIESEL !

Vehicle : Brand New Swift DDis Ldi ( The year was 2011 - old model swift)

Test Drive Range : 185 km

Facts:

1. Driving speed 65 KMPH - Thats the minimum possible speed with out knocking in 5th gear in DDis.

2. No A/c

3. Correct tyre pressure

4. Was really carefull while driving - Never over accelerated.

5. Full HIGHWAY driving

6. Fuel measurement - Auto cut off - Auto cut off.

Opening & Closing in the same fuel station (Indian oil) - Even in the same fuel pumping machine.

8. Early morning drive

When we covered 185 Km, before refilling the Fuel Gauge was lowered by a slight position only.

We were amazed by the fuel consumption figure.

(Our 1st testing - which contains 20% city driving returned only 35 KMPL)

In fact - when we shared this wonder, people never believed us - they were telling about craps like air gap, this that.

But, Honestly the fuel gauge never came down more than a millimeter.[clap]

have also read a news on tata Manza delivering 47 kmpl - on a 40-50 km test drive.

Common Rails - are the future! No wonder the technology gave diesel cars a rebirth.

Members out there can also test their cars and give their figures. Im sure all CRDi engines will deliver a minimum of atleast 35 KMPL.

Regards
Om

It is believable, normally we accelerate,change gears break frequently etc etc, still this engine is giving a 20kmph on a drive of 200kms on a stretch.

Top Bottom