Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

AnantG

Suspended
Re: Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

It’s really exasperating to see fuel prices skyrocketing, right? We can only feel helpless in the face of recurring and economy-driven price fluctuations. Seeking measures to improve fuel economy is the only way to combat rising fuel prices. Do not disregard these simple guidelines; each little step can really start adding up to significant savings to your budget.

Check Tyre Pressure

Keeping the tyres well inflated is one of the simplest things you can do to help improve your car’s fuel efficiency. You can improve the mileage by about 3.3 percent if you keep your tyres inflated properly, according to the DOE.
Lighten Your Load

Empty out your boot of unnecessary items. For every extra 45 kg you carry, your fuel efficiency can drop by 1-2% in a typical vehicle.

S-L-O-W D-O-W-N

The faster you drive, the more fuel you use. Driving within the speed limit recommended by the manufacturer helps save fuel. Driving just 5mph over the speed limit can affect fuel economy by up to 23%. Likewise, quick acceleration consumes too much fuel; accelerate slowly and gradually.
Do Fuel Quality/Types/Additives Help Mileage?
Petrol pump attendants often try to convince you to go for ‘Speed petrol’ or ‘X-tra Mile diesel’. But this need not necessarily help improve your vehicle’s fuel efficiency. Always use the grade recommended for the vehicle by the manufacturer. Higher octane fuel may not only be a waste of money but may harm the vehicle, as well. However sticking to one brand of fuel is always good for the engine.

Tune Your Engine

A well-tuned engine can improve fuel economy by up to 4%. So change your oil and follow your car manufacturer’s recommendation on servicing.

Clean the Air Filters Regularly

Air filters keep impurities from damaging your engine. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve fuel economy by as much as 10%.

Keep the Windows Closed

Driving with your windows open considerably reduces mileage, far more than keeping the AC on while driving along highways. So preferably keep the windows closed and the AC on if you want to keep cool. Of course the air-conditioning decreases fuel efficiency considerably, so use it judiciously.

Clean Spark Plugs

Ensure your spark plugs are in good condition. Renew the plugs and wires at intervals specified by the manufacturer. This will keep all cylinders firing properly resulting in higher efficiency.
Don’t Be a Clutch-Driver

Never keep your foot on the clutch while driving. When you do this, pressure is being placed on your clutch, and it not only reduces mileage, but also wears out the clutch plate, replacing which is not cheap.

Keep the Car in Showroom Condition

It’s always prudent to keep the car in the showroom condition. Remember that any modification to the car, such as broad tyres, diffusers etc., will adversely affect the mileage.

For more Information please visit the website source below.

Source: Improve Your Car
Thanx, good work, keep it up.

@anantG, Good write-up. Couple of clarification as follows

• what you people meant by over-accelerating?
  • Shall we clear air-filter ourselves?
  • What is the time intervals for cleaning air filters?
  • Spark plug cleaning, I thought spark plug firing is required just once when we start the vehicle. As per this write-up it is being used constantly during our ride.

[*]Spark plug cleaning, I thought spark plug firing is required just once when we start the vehicle. As per this write-up it is being used constantly during our ride.
[/LIST]
No sir. As far as I know, spark plugs are constantly firing at (or close to) TDC position of the piston during the compression stroke in 4-stroke petrol engines and at every TDC in 2-stroke petrol engines. Diesels don't have spark plugs and ignition is by compression heat. The timing is controlled by diesel injection timing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

@sethu

Air filters are normally cleaned every 5000kms but it differs to the conditions on the drives,if we are frequently travel in a dusty path then it is good to clean every 2000kms for good result.

No sir. As far as I know, spark plugs are constantly firing at (or close to) TDC position of the piston during the compression stroke in 4-stroke petrol engines and at every TDC in 2-stroke petrol engines. Diesels don't have spark plugs and ignition is by compression heat. The timing is controlled by diesel injection timing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.
Thank you for the answer. Since no one objected you should be right. Let me check about the same with ASS during my next visit.

@sethu

Air filters are normally cleaned every 5000kms but it differs to the conditions on the drives,if we are frequently travel in a dusty path then it is good to clean every 2000kms for good result.
Okie. In my case i never travel on dusty path. so as per your recomendation, i think I can do it once in 6-8 months.

how to clean air filter at home.
I have spark
Thanks for asking for all sparky owners.

how to clean air filter at home.
I have spark
Gently take out the filter from it's housing and tap it very gently with the fins facing downwards on a table or any hard surface. Most of the dust should fall off by this. Further, you can use your home vacuum cleaner to gently such the remaining dust out of it. DO NOT WASH THE FILTER EVER.

freakdude.

Milage Ford Fiesta(Classics)

Guys i am getting 14kmpl in my Fiesta 1.4 TDCI with 42K in ODO ,100% city driving with 50% AC,Last serviced done on 37K odo.Is this mileage ok or some thing wrong with my car. Last time i filled rs 500 diesel to check the kmpl and car run about 141km with it and MID showing 10

Re: Milage Ford Fiesta(Classics)

Guys i am getting 14kmpl in my Fiesta 1.4 TDCI with 42K in ODO ,100% city driving with 50% AC,Last serviced done on 37K odo.Is this mileage ok or some thing wrong with my car. Last time i filled rs 500 diesel to check the kmpl and car run about 141km with it and MID showing 10
IMO, FE is good as per Kolkata standards with AC. If you drive bit more sedate may push upto 15 but might be difficult to get more.

This is a OK mileage. Do not worry much,your car is returning a decent FE.
But I suggest make a highway kind of run for 50 KM and check how much it is returning,it should be more than 18+.

Try using a fuel system cleaner with normal fuel or use premium diesel that is available at any Company Owned Company Operated fuel pump in your city.Try this for atleast 3-4 tankfills(full tanks) and report back.

Good thread of the time.

I understand that keeping up in the "Power Band" & "Early Upshifting" are vital factors for better FE. Here are my question around that.

In Figo (D) the Power Band (Turbo Range) starts as low as 1500 RPM and may last up till 2000 RPM. Now, if I upshift early, I practically can't reach the Power Band for every gear or even maintain it after the shift. Otherwise, I need to be heavy footed for that, which work's against FE. Doesn't it look like Catch 22?

Also, the Gear Shift is lot more smoother when do it up past 2K, maybe 2100/2200 range. If done earlier, not only that the Gear Shift is hard/sticker but also gives a "jerk" effect after the shift, which is a clear indication that the Wheel Speed and the Engine Speed aren't in sync. So if I shift up past 2K, I rule out both the former pointers (Power Band & Early Upshift) which helps for better FE. Catch 22 again?

How do I overcome this? Do early upshift, without any such Jerk effects and also maintain in the Power Band, AND most importantly, all these in Bangalore TRAFFIC [frustration]

Tune Your Engine

A well-tuned engine can improve fuel economy by up to 4%. So change your oil and follow your car manufacturer’s recommendation on servicing.
I guess, this isn't appropriate for today's engines, at least Diesel ones AFAIK.

[:D] Speaking on mileage, Me & my friend achieved an unbelievable

45 KMPL - THATS RIGHT 45 KM to a liter of DIESEL !
Mannnn... You guys should approach Limca Book of Records to have placed next to Mr. Narayanan Menon who managed to fetch 46.33 from Manza. Check it out here.

Very good points covered bmwrockzz[clap]
I noticed in my car that fuel consumption was directly linked to the RPMs in the tachometer.
For my petrol car (manual - 5 fwd gears), I tried to limit the RPMs to 2000 by shifting to appropriate gear according to driven speed. In this way at topmost gear (5th) I could not go above 80 km/h (which is a speed high enough for me) without increasing the RPM above 2000.

Top Bottom