Tips For Long Highway Drives in India

Thanks for the replies @ swadesh and @generalmax.

Is it good to maintain in the middle lane or in the left most lane of the three lanes ( six lane highways) of the highways ?

Is it good to be in the left or right lane of the two lanes ( four lane highways) ?

How to tackle the speed bumps on the highways ?
Do the same what you do while tackling them in city.

I want to drive in 3rd gear in the Tirumala hills. Is it okay ? Do I need to accelerate while nearing the climb up ? or Do I need to shift to higher gears well before the climb up ?
The steepness of hill will decide which gear to be used. Sometimes 3rd can do well but many times 2nd or 1st comes in easy way. When there is a climb it is good habit to downshift prior to negotiating it.

As the vehicle crossed just 1200 kms, would higher rpm's at lower gears have any effect on the engine on the long run ?
No problem as you will be in higher RPM for very less time. A 3000 RPM on 1st gear is enough for Grand i10 to climb the steepest gradient.

If I use the third gear for climbup, I need to use the same gear for climbing down. Right ?
Mostly right. But sometimes you may need to shift to 2nd or 1st as well.

If a vehicle wants to overtake me on the hills, where do I need to allow them to pass me ?
When you are in hills do concentrate on your own driving. The vehicle who wants to overtake you will anyway do it. You just stick to your own lane.

I do see the hairpin bends 16 to 1 have steep and quick curves.Do I need to maintain in second gears with higher rpm ?
If there is nobody ahead of you and you have good momentum then 2nd gear will be enough. If some slow mover is ahead of you then you need to shift to 1st as the revvs will drop at greater extent on climb which may result in stalling your car midway.

Last edited:
I somewhere read "Carry lots of water and best places to keep is under the seats as they donot occupy space and can be easily picked up"[frustration]

never never keep bottles under the seats as they can roll and come under the brake and clutch pedal causing serious accidents!!!
100 % Agree, That's the most Dangerous place to keep water bottles, It can roll below the break Pedal and hamper the brakes !!! Never Keep any thing, that can potentially hazardous for operating the vehicle, near Driver seat.

Is it good to maintain in the middle lane or in the left most lane of the three lanes ( six lane highways) of the highways ?
Ideally, you are supposed to be in Right lane as that's the lane for Fast moving Vehicles, but here we seldom follow that, so, never mind. Use the Lane that you feel comfortable. Usually Heavy vehicles occupy the Middle Lane. Drive where you feel most secure. You can change it as and when you need, but keep in mind for the vehicles behind you and Give Indicators before changing the Lanes.

Is it good to be in the left or right lane of the two lanes ( four lane highways) ?
No such Rule. Feel free to drive in any of the 2 Lanes. You'll need to change to left lane very often , as vehicles behind you will ask side to Overtake.

100 % Agree, That's the most Dangerous place to keep water bottles, It can roll below the break Pedal and hamper the brakes !!! Never Keep any thing, that can potentially hazardous for operating the vehicle, near Driver seat.
100% true. Please be careful with the bottles in your car. Always make sure it is on holders. Never leave it on seats (especially on driver side) which might roll down to near your pedals and that is risky.

imagine the below sitution when you are in 80 or 90 KM speed and you want to apply brake.
550px-Stop-a-Car-with-No-Brakes-Step-3Bullet1.jpg

The rule for three lanes is that heavy loads should always keep left. The middle lane is to be occupied by car, buses which are sedately driven and the right most lane should be used only for overtaking and nothing else. But in our country where traffic roads are disobeyed , people are seen sticking to right most lane until they reach their destination.

On two lanes, the left most lane should be occupied by 2 wheelers, auto rickshaws and heavy loads. While the second lane should be taken by other fast vehicles (obeying speed limit)

A good question indeed. 1 point which I see missing in everyone's answer here is that never be on the left lane on Indian roads. And mainly while driving during night time. The reason is trucks / bigger vehicles tend to have stopped on the left lane, or slow moving two wheelers or autos may be occupying the lanes, and the most idiotic scenario is when the locals come the wrong direction with tractors / tata ace / two wheelers. So unless you are a slow driver, never use the left lane for driving / overtaking.

Right lane is meant for fast moving traffic, but I have seen drivers with less confidence / on phone prefer to take the right lane and drive. Added concern here is on intersections, you may see vehicles popping out a bit at 90 degrees ready to cross road in a micro second flash. Also at some places people / cattle just pop out of no where in the divider. So if you are driving at high speed / reflexes dont work immediately, you may be involved in accidents.

Having said these, I prefer to drive in middle lane, as that gives me more time to react in case of anyone jumping / not following rules. Also the visibility from middle lane is like a V, and hence you have better visibility. Also since middle lane is also used by truck drivers who dont like left / right lanes, just because they dont want to change lanes with the heavy load (its cumbersome), plan your overtake whenever you see them and get back to middle lane.

In this scenario where you have to choose between 2 and not 3 options, I will stick to right lane, as probability of law breakers / slow traffic is lesser than that on left lane.

Having said these, I prefer to drive in middle lane, as that gives me more time to react in case of anyone jumping / not following rules. Also the visibility from middle lane is like a V, and hence you have better visibility. Also since middle lane is also used by truck drivers who dont like left / right lanes, just because they dont want to change lanes with the heavy load (its cumbersome), plan your overtake whenever you see them and get back to middle lane.
Perfectly said. I do this.

mainly in curves it will be very useful. Sometimes the broken down vehicles stop the vehicle where ever it happnes (mostly this happens at heavy vehicles like lorries, trucks ) which will not move to side or don't even bother to put any signals. maximum they would do is keep some big stones with some tree branches sticking to it which is more dangerous first of all. if that is also not there when you are cruising in good speed in curve you will not see this vehicle at all.

Middle line is the safe one in 6 way road and right lane is the safe in 4 way road (but you have to take extra care)

Hello everyone,

I'm a new owner of my first car I.e. Datsun go plus. It has done around 1600 Kms in one n a half month. I'm planning 2 drive to Sitamarhi, Bihar from Guwahati and back after a week stay there. The distance is about 800-900 Kms one way. I'm planning to complete the journey with a night halt in between.

Please guide me with the various aspects as m new n don't know much about it.

I shall be highly obliged for your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,
I'm a new owner of my first car I.e. Datsun go plus.. It has done around 1600 Kms in one n a half month. I'm planning 2 drive to Sitamarhi, Bihar from Guwahati n back after a week stay dere. D distance is bout 800-900 Kms oneway. I'm planning 2 complete the journey with a night halt in between.
Please guide me wid the various aspects as m new n don't know much bout it.
I shall be highly obliged for ur replies.
First, congrats on your new car, that to + [;)].

First decision you have took (night halt) itself the best one. for first time long drives night is not suitable for various reason.

Take the general cautions as it is mentioned in this post. (need to consolidate, it. Soon will post a consolidated one here) regarding road conditions someone from the specific area has to give you information.

Hello everyone,
I'm a new owner of my first car I.e. Datsun go plus.. It has done around 1600 Kms in one n a half month. I'm planning 2 drive to Sitamarhi, Bihar from Guwahati n back after a week stay dere. D distance is bout 800-900 Kms oneway. I'm planning 2 complete the journey with a night halt in between.
Please guide me wid the various aspects as m new n don't know much bout it.
I shall be highly obliged for ur replies.

Congratulations on the new car. The list what you are looking for is huge, and the whole thread should be referred again. But let me put the top things first
1. Highway driving is very different from city driving. No need to be agressive. be passive and cruise, with least maneuvering / lane changes. Anticipate the unexpected and be vigil on wheels. You will see many idiots on road, so be aware and be calm.

2. As a new driver avoid driving on nights , and mainly during sunset and sunrise as the lights play a lot of tricks

3. take break at an interval of every 2 hrs max. Wash face, drink water / tea, walk a bit and back to driving. carry water in car to keep yourself hydrated

4. it being monsoon season, if it rains heavily, park in a dhaba / byelane with blinkers on. In light rain, do drive, but a bit slow than your usual speed and never on extreme left as many vehicles would have stopped / road broken. Drive with blinkers on during rain.

5. keep extra tire properly inflated, make sure you have all tool boxes available, carry all documents, keep service center numbers handy

Dear TAIans,

I have little experience on highway driving, but I can't help but have to ask you a question those who prefer night driving than the day - How do you dare to drive in nights on an Indian highway. Don't you have any mechanical empathy for your car? Have you ever felt the feeling of hitting a deep crater @ 120 kmph.

Regards,

Roy

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear TAIans,

How do you dare to drive in nights on an Indian highway. Don't you have any mechanical empathy for your car? Have you ever felt the feeling of hitting a deep crater @ 120 kmph.

Regards,

Roy
For me night driving is ok (though I drive seldom) because it keeps the car cool (as nights are relatively cooler than daytime), lesser traffic than daytime so easier to drive at night, car gives better FE due to less traffic so I prefer night drive than day. I have traveled on NH-24 during winters with a chauffeur and really it does benefit with regards to driving and time taken for journey. Also, as you asked about hitting a deep crater, firstly Roy this thread I don't think is about sharing negative experiences on highways as for it we have another specific thread. This thread is for suggesting safe and logical tips for highway driving.

Apart from that, under any circumstance, driving in triple digits on highway at any time is dangerous and mentioning it here is even more out of place. 120 km/h is never a safe speed to drive whether you drive in day or at night and regardless of the fact that whether one drives in CITY or Highway.

Regards

Akash

Dear TAIans,

I have little experience on highway driving, but I can't help but have to ask you a question those who prefer night driving than the day - How do you dare to drive in nights on an Indian highway. Don't you have any mechanical empathy for your car? Have you ever felt the feeling of hitting a deep crater @ 120 kmph.
Regards,
Roy
I love driving at night[drive] , I seldom drive in day time. Best part of night driving is No Stray cattle, No 2 Wheelers , no Pedestrians , no one trying to cross the road, no Carts, etc ,etc.... You One needs to be extra careful, but that rewards with peaceful driving experience and good Speed with FE.

Dear Akash,
No offense, to me 100 - 120 Kmph ( according to speedo ) is very much possible in most of the Indian highways, provided its’ got a descent surface up to some stretch.
Anyways, here are my suggestions,
- Avoid Night Driving.
- Only drive in night, if you are very thorogh about the route.
- Getting a good pair of driving light, with well adjusted throw is a must.
- Don’t follow a same car for very long, as it’s invites the lethal one minute sleep.
- Best always have a reliable driving partner & keep changing the seats, even without reasons.
- Don’t drive unnecessarily slow when road condition pemits, it can also invite the lethal sleep.
Hats’ off to you Swadesh, for your cool reasons to drive at night, but I am not buying any thing other than the cattle issue. You should always trust your eyes only, not the feeble lights.
Regards,
Roy

Akash1886

Honoured Member
No offense, to me 100 - 120 Kmph ( according to speedo ) is very much possible in most of the Indian highways, provided its’ got a descent surface up to some stretch.
Non taken buddy, see my simple rule is "Driver should control the car and the Car should not control the driver". No matter how good the roads be but the driver should always be mindful of his/her caliber and the caliber of the car whether driving on highway or city roads.

Anyways, here are my suggestions,
- Avoid Night Driving.
Subjective one.

- Only drive in night, if you are very thorogh about the route.
Correct 100%

- Getting a good pair of driving light, with well adjusted throw is a must.
Too bright lights may help you surely but can distract the on-coming traffic.

- Don’t follow a same car for very long, as it’s invites the lethal one minute sleep.
Yes

- Best always have a reliable driving partner & keep changing the seats, even without reasons.
Ya, long drives does need it. Valid one.
- Don’t drive unnecessarily slow when road condition pemits, it can also invite the lethal sleep.
Drive in proper speed limits. Neither over speed nor under speed.

You should always trust your eyes only, not the feeble lights.
Over and above the listed suggestion, I would like to add some more:

* 3 Major A's of driving to be followed always i.e Alertness, Anticipation and Action. In the night or daytime driving, the above 3 A's are really important.

* Never fall asleep when sitting next to the driver. Remember, not everyone has such strong will-power.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom