Tips for Driving in the Rain

Thread Starter #1
The danger of driving when the road is wet is tenfold especially when you are new to driving. An inexperienced fellow in a driver’s seat during a rainstorm can put others at risk as well himself. If you are experienced enough, there is no need to panic but not everyone comes as an expert in driving. Rain brings out the worst in most drivers and can cause dangerous driving hazards. The following tips are some of the safety measures which you can adopt to protect yourself while driving on raining days:

* Turn on the lights and wipers. Slow down instantly when the rain starts as rain water mixed with oil can make the road slippery and slick.
* Don’t follow another driver too closely and try to keep plenty of distance between the front and back vehicles.
* Pay attention to the pedestrians walking aside or trying to cross the road.
* Pull off the road if the rain is too heavy and the road is unclear.
* Drive in the lane which is closer to the center as the slow lanes may have water build ups and is not safe.

To add to above information -

• Before start of Monsoon season or once a year - replace windshield wipers
  • If road are clogged with water slight slip the clutch and pump the throttle just enough so that water does not enter exhaust pipe.
  • Drive slowly as brakes will be wet so allow the brakes to dry by pumping intermittently
  • If your car has Air conditioner, switch it on and keep it in defroster setting to prevent fogging of windshield
  • In light drizzle use intermittent wiper setting

Not only changing wiper blades.
But one must fill the tyres with manufacturer recommended PSI Nitrogen/air.
Else will lead to Hydroplaning.
ABS is a boon in such conditions.
Tyre condition must be checked.
Worn out tyres must be replaced without hesitation.

Fog lamps can be used to warn the vehicles from the opposite direction.

Great suggestions. I am sure people will take benefit out of it.

If I am struck in a rain (heavy ofcourse) I will park my car at the left and enjoy rain. No matter how urgent it is for me to reach to the destination.

On Cortina's post line item 2, even if you do not press the gas padel. Water will not enter the exhaust pipe because even if it is idiling there is some amount of pressure there to keep water away. I personally experienced it last year, wherein, I had to took my Estilo from 13" tyre length water because of no way around case. It was horriable experience in Gurgaon but since then I have not taken any chances but even on that day my dear Estilo did not ditch me.

I love her....

So, Its rainy season here, from last 3 days, its raining here frequently.
Got some queries:
i don't have covered parking, have to park her in open area, Do parking in rains damage cars in any manner? Paint, Rust, Animals or any thing else?
How to protect her. I'm really worried as i don't even have a cover for her, have ordered on ebay 3 days ago but seller didn't shipped yet..

How to clear moist during driving, I have tried 1. A/C with clod, 2. With hot and defoggers 3. Kept window 3 inches open, but all these methods were not enough to clear moist.

So, Its rainy season here, from last 3 days, its raining here frequently.
Got some queries:
i don't have covered parking, have to park her in open area, Do parking in rains damage cars in any manner? Paint, Rust, Animals or any thing else?
How to protect her. I'm really worried as i don't even have a cover for her, have ordered on ebay 3 days ago but seller didn't shipped yet..

How to clear moist during driving, I have tried 1. A/C with clod, 2. With hot and defoggers 3. Kept window 3 inches open, but all these methods were not enough to clear moist.
Its better if you can do a wax coat on your paint. ya its not really practical when its raining. But still Instead of waiting for a day without rain, when ever there is a break start applying wax to small small portions, like car hood, fenders etc, so within in few days wax can be applied all over the car paint.

Where is the moist outside or insde?
Inside moist can be removed with the AC blowing to the windshield.

For a trouble free ride during raining, see my product review link below.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/15591-proklear-nano-anti-glare-rain-shield-treatment-windshield.html#post350052

Load the gears in rain and avoid the 5 th gear.
load gears while driving down a down slope and brake on gears even if you have an ABS.
If you are climbing a high range climb on lesser rpm.
White halogen or any white light is not suitable for rainy season.

Last edited:

Top Bottom