Tips For Correctly Filling The Fuel

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have few questions about filling up the petrol tank.
1. Is there soemthing called as "Air-out" method to accomodate more petrol?
2. Is filling petrol in the wee hours/ early morning worth it as claimed by people that "The colder the ground, the more dense the fuel. When it gets warmer, petrol expands"?
3. Is there any method to calculate the actual mileage if i fill the tank completely?

@ Mods: Please merge this thread if this is a duplicate of any other thread.

Cheers :)

Re: Tips for filling up petrol tank

Not sure about 1st and 3rd.

yeah 2nd point is absolutely true.But the changes are negligible. Wont make much of a difference.

Last edited:

Yes, the fuel can be topped to the brim by air out method. Traditionally, drivers used to shake the car so as to allow more fuel to accomodate in the tank. However, i suggest to follow the auto shut off feature which automatically clicks as soon as the fuel level has reached the specified limit. The space left allows the fuel to expand.
Petrol/Filling in morning or evening is recommended since you get more fuel during these hours due to the density difference, however the difference between the quantities is not very huge.

Thread Starter #5

Yes, the fuel can be topped to the brim by air out method. Traditionally, drivers used to shake the car so as to allow more fuel to accomodate in the tank. However, i suggest to follow the auto shut off feature which automatically clicks as soon as the fuel level has reached the specified limit.
Thank you Akash! Is the auto shut off feature available in pumps? Is the air out available in ANHC?

Almost all the modern cars have this auto fuel off feature (this is not the exact term). Yes, the City has this feature.

It can be obseved this when you are filling the tank full.

Thread Starter #7

Almost all the modern cars have this auto fuel off feature (this is not the exact term). Yes, the City has this feature.

It can be obseved this when you are filling the tank full.
I have filled fuel upto the fullest 3-4 times and cannot recollect anything different. Will it make a noise or something? like a click?

@ Truecitylover Buddy auto-cut off feature is available at most of the petrol bunks inside the city. You will hear a click sound and the nozzle will stop filling fuel. However i have seen people shaking the car and filling in more fuel , i personally don't like this habit. I always stop filling once auto-cut stops fuel supply.

And for knowing the exact fuel efficiency number of KMS in the trip meter / number of litres when you fill fuel next time.

I have filled fuel upto the fullest 3-4 times and cannot recollect anything different. Will it make a noise or something? like a click?
Spot on. You will hear a click and the supply from the nozzle is interrupted. Though you can fill more fuel but it is not recommended since fuel needs some room or the expansion.

Thread Starter #10

Spot on. You will hear a click and the supply from the nozzle is interrupted. Though you can fill more fuel but it is not recommended since fuel needs some room or the expansion.
Voila! Let me check it out while filling her tonite or tomorrow morning. [thumbsup]

Fuel filling tips...

Hey guys recently i saw a taxi guy shaking the car, while fuelling the car.
May be to remove air bubbles.

Can we fill the tank upto the brim.
Or should we leave some gap in tank?

I always fill the diesel in early mornings or late nights, heard that the density of fuel will be more and we get more fuel.
Is this true?
But never in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Top Bottom