Tips For Correctly Filling The Fuel

Re: Tips For Correctly Filling Up the Fuel

Yes Mukesh even i see many Taxiwallas following that practice. Yes even my guess is , it is to carry more fuel. But i never do that , because if i fill beyond the auto-cut point i will see diesel spilling out of my tank after a drive.

I never fill at a bunk which does not have Auto-cut feature. So for this i plan my re-fuelling accordingly during long trips.

I know this feature. But even after cut off also when the bunk attender try to fill the tank accepts without shaking or nothing. what does that means?

will the lenght or shape of the Dispensing Nozzles will be same across the bunks?

AFAIK the nozzle stops dispensing fuel when it comes in contact with fuel inside the tank. After a minute the bubbles will settle down and the tank will still be good enough to take a few more litres of fuel , but i don't follow this. I think the length and shape of nozzle is same across all fuel pumps.

1) Get down from your car and keep an eye on the meter. Stop being lazy, getting down will reduce the chance of being cheated.

2) Don't fall for the "Saar, card or cash?" trick, speak to none while re-fueling and keep your eyes fixed on the meter.

3) If possible, go for early morning/late night fill up. The fuel doesn't vapourize much during this time of the day.

4) If possible try going to the pump when the crowd is less. Trust me, its much more easier to cheat when the crowd is more. Sad as it is, people get impatient and agitated to wait for long. However, on the brighter side, if you catch 'em cheating, more people will get to know of their cheating practice.

That's all I can think for now.

Re: Tips for filling up petrol tank

@ Truecitylover Buddy auto-cut off feature is available at most of the petrol bunks inside the city. You will hear a click sound and the nozzle will stop filling fuel. However i have seen people shaking the car and filling in more fuel , i personally don't like this habit. I always stop filling once auto-cut stops fuel supply.

And for knowing the exact fuel efficiency number of KMS in the trip meter / number of litres when you fill fuel next time.
@truecitylover: If you want to calculate the most accurate average with Tank Full Method (Most accepted methed), then you will have to Tank up again with the same Petrol Pump and same nozzle. Others may have slight variations.

The other best way is to Tank Up to the Brim...

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

tips posted by a member manjoo

PETROL TIPS - info!! (MUST READ)

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy to get maximum value for the buck.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period .. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.

You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Re: Tips To Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

tips posted by a member manjoo

PETROL TIPS - info!! (MUST READ)

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy to get maximum value for the buck.
Thanks for sharing.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:
Whatever the money is paid it is money. so everyone might be interested in such tips

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
Mostly I try to follow this

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high.

You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
I do not know will the petrol pump guy will accept for this. Because of auto-cut of and defining the quantity/price of the petrol required, most of the pump guys put it in high mode and just leave it. And more over, most of the pumps are having Q, since he would be happy to fill it fast and make you move out of the pump. We can try this when there is less crowd.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
No. I have n't followed this. I should try to do this in future.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

I follow this. whenever i see lorry is loading fuel into the storage, I will move out of the pump and move to next station.

350Z

Core Team

Here's a useful piece of information. Thanks to our member Kenlitting who shared this through mail.
Recently I came across a very useful tip. I was surprised to know it but had a doubt so I talked to one of the pump technicians and he too accepted it as a fact. I think apart from providing space for the gas generated inside the petrol tank this is yet another reason why we shouldn't fill the tank to the brim. Many of us are not aware that the petrol kiosk pump has a return pipe-line (in Pink). When the petrol tank (in the car) reaches full level, there is a mechanism to trigger off the pump latch and at the same time a return-valve is opened (at the top of the pump station) to allow excess petrol to flow back into the pump. But the return petrol has already pass through the meter, meaning you are donating the petrol back to the Oil Dealer.

Also only fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your liter is not exactly a liter. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount. Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Drive Safe,
350Z

how much fuel can be safely fillled after auto cut off
Can we fill 1/2 a litre or a litre more

I am asking this because the auto cutoff always occurs at odd numbers such as rs1923,rs561
And the pump attendant wants to round it off( to 2000,600 respectively)
I often let him round off ( it is convenient for me as well )

how much fuel can be safely fillled after auto cut off
Can we fill 1/2 a litre or a litre more

I am asking this because the auto cutoff always occurs at odd numbers such as rs1923,rs561
And the pump attendant wants to round it off( to 2000,600 respectively)
I often let him round off ( it is convenient for me as well )
It varies with different nozzles' sensors. I have seen a variation of 2 - 5 Litres after Auto Cut Off. Of course, it's got to do with the incorrect measurement as well.

It varies with different nozzles' sensors. I have seen a variation of 2 - 5 Litres after Auto Cut Off. Of course, it's got to do with the incorrect measurement as well.
But it should be safe to fill up to a litre more to round off to the nearest 100 Right??

Top Bottom