Time for Kodaikanal -- June, 2012

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIs,

I am ready for another trip to Kodaikanal on my Punto with my 4 family members. I found some articles here trip to Kodaikanal but none of them direct to Kodai from Bangalore.

So any idea on
a. Exact timing from Bangalore to Kodaikanal?
b. Which is the best route with 5 ppl on Punto?
c. Places to visit in Kodai in 2 days?

Thanks for your Help in Advance !!!

Re: Time for Kodaikanal -- June,2012

Guys anyone recently covered Kodai??? Please respond to my queries...
You can try visiting the following places. I am planning for Kodai in the last week of July.

Green Valley View(aka Old Suicide Point):5.5 kms from bus stand and near the Koai Golf Club
Pillar Rocks : 8kms from the bus stand.
Guna Caves
Pine Forests
Moer's Point
Dolphin Nose : 8kms from bus stand. Liril falls as well is nearby.
Bear Shola Falls (3kms from bus stand)
Coakers Walk (500m from bus stand)
Berijam Forest(Visit Forest Office(09:30 to 10:00 A.M), next to Padma lodge, fill a form(Rs.10) for permission and cost of ticket(Rs 100/person)
Silver Cascade Falls : 8kms from Kodaikanal
Echo Point
Bryant Park(East of the Lake)
Kodaikanal Lake(500m from bus stand)
Kodaikanal Solar Observatory(6kms from the bus stand)

Hello Sujeet, good that you are planning for another trip in your punto.

Kodaikanal is best time to visit now except for the rains which plays spoilsport sometimes.
okay this place is smaller than the Nilgiris and you can cover lot of places in a short span of time.

As i had visited the place once i guess this route will hold good enough to reach faster.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Kodai Road - Kodai Kanal.

Kms- Apprx - 400 kms, 8 - 9 hrs max.

When you reach Salem - take the outer ring road and go on till you find the board for Namakkal-Karur, you have to take the flyover to the right.

After reaching Namakkal, continue on the highway to Karur and then the same to Dindigul too, and i guess you have to take a right for Kodai Road prior or after to Dindigul(I am not sure), you can ask the people there.

I am not sure whether other routes have shorter distance but this stretch has full-time 4 Lane upto Kodai road.

Guys anyone recently covered Kodai??? Please respond to my queries...
Sorry if i am being a spoil sport, I had visited kodai exactly a week back and trust me it's not the worth travelling so far, as viswas mentioned it's small place and there is nothing fascinating to see or do and it's surely not a take your family spot.
Instead you can head toward's ooty on the way you can also visit Bandipur.

Sorry if i am being a spoil sport, I had visited kodai exactly a week back and trust me it's not the worth travelling so far, as viswas mentioned it's small place and there is nothing fascinating to see or do and it's surely not a take your family spot.
Instead you can head toward's ooty on the way you can also visit Bandipur.
I do feel the same and that place was bored for all of us in no time, Ooty is very big and you can visit numerous places, anyway you would have a nice experience at both places driving.

Folks - I am also trying to visit Kodai end of July. Plan is to chill out there. My only worry is the rains. Hope it's not too much and stays away. Nevertheless rains or not, I have decided to go.

Was in Kodai from 28 ~ 30 June 2012. As posted earlier took the usual route

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Vathalagundu- Kodai Kanal.

Just be alert when you are approaching Dindugul, take the service road on the left of the flyover in Dindugul and take right to Vathalagundu. Sign boards are nice and easy to read. Drive slow from Dindugul to Vathalagundu as the road work is in progress you will fond broken patches. After Vathalagundu on you will see an Indian Oil Petrol station on the Right side take right turn here to Kodai, there are no sign boards here so be careful.
Also if you are a Non Veg, Dindugul is famous for mutton briyani suggest you give a try (Hotel 'Venu Biryani' is famous)

It took me 7 hours in my new i20 Diesel, dint cross 90 kmph as the car had clocked only 300 km on odo. Toll can cost you appromixately INR 335 one way.

In Kodai never got bored, did horse riding, cycling by lake, Shikara Boat ride, and small tour of kodai tourist spots arranged by the hotel. Tourist spots are nothing to scream about. But had a good time at the property in Carlton hotel. Morning/Evening Coffee in the balcony with super view of lake was unforgettable. I was lucky it was not raining.

Thread Starter #9
Folks - I am also trying to visit Kodai end of July. Plan is to chill out there. My only worry is the rains. Hope it's not too much and stays away. Nevertheless rains or not, I have decided to go.
I too completed the Kodai tour from 6th June to 8th June. The route mentioned was the same. This is the straightest road I have been till date for such a long distance(approx. 500 Kms). Just After Dindigul, do not take the flyover but take the service road. If you miss the service road (as i did [;)] ), take the 1st U-turn after the flyover and take the 1st left turn which leads to Kodai road(90+ Kms from the intersection point). Be careful for the last 50KMs, which is the Ghat road. It took 9hrs in my Punto with 5 ppl on-boarded from Old airport road to Kodai kanal bus stand. Got mileage of 18.8 KMPL.
Total Kms covered is 1075.

Was in Kodai from 28 ~ 30 June 2012. As posted earlier took the usual route

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Vathalagundu- Kodai Kanal.

Just be alert when you are approaching Dindugul, take the service road on the left of the flyover in Dindugul and take right to Vathalagundu. Sign boards are nice and easy to read. Drive slow from Dindugul to Vathalagundu as the road work is in progress you will fond broken patches. After Vathalagundu on you will see an Indian Oil Petrol station on the Right side take right turn here to Kodai, there are no sign boards here so be careful.
Also if you are a Non Veg, Dindugul is famous for mutton briyani suggest you give a try (Hotel 'Venu Biryani' is famous)

It took me 7 hours in my new i20 Diesel, dint cross 90 kmph as the car had clocked only 300 km on odo. Toll can cost you appromixately INR 335 one way.

In Kodai never got bored, did horse riding, cycling by lake, Shikara Boat ride, and small tour of kodai tourist spots arranged by the hotel. Tourist spots are nothing to scream about. But had a good time at the property in Carlton hotel. Morning/Evening Coffee in the balcony with super view of lake was unforgettable. I was lucky it was not raining.
I too completed the Kodai tour from 6th June to 8th June. The route mentioned was the same. This is the straightest road I have been till date for such a long distance(approx. 500 Kms). Just After Dindigul, do not take the flyover but take the service road. If you miss the service road (as i did [;)] ), take the 1st U-turn after the flyover and take the 1st left turn which leads to Kodai road(90+ Kms from the intersection point). Be careful for the last 50KMs, which is the Ghat road. It took 9hrs in my Punto with 5 ppl on-boarded from Old airport road to Kodai kanal bus stand. Got mileage of 18.8 KMPL.
Total Kms covered is 1075.
Folks - Couple of questions.

1. How was the weather in Kodai?
2. Was it too crowded?

Thread Starter #11
Hi Roadracer,

1.The weather was quite good when i visited. Not suuny at all but not rainy as well. If it rains also, you can cover the places and view points very quickly when it's not raining.
2. The best part of my visit was, it was not so crowdy and hence the whole family enjoyed to full extent. Specifically Coakers Walk...

Try your luck buddy ... Have a safe drive
Cheers !!

hi people.
1.planning a family trip from hyderabad to ooty to kodaikanal ,starting on sunday i.e 15-7-2012..the car will be a honda civic.just wanted to know about any good restaurants and places to visit,,also how is the weather there..
is it raining in ooty or the weather is cool and normal??
answers would be greatly appreciated

can any one please help or suggest some do's and donts.as this is my first trip to ooty and kodai...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi people.
1.planning a family trip from hyderabad to ooty to kodaikanal ,starting on sunday i.e 15-7-2012..the car will be a honda civic.just wanted to know about any good restaurants and places to visit,,also how is the weather there..
is it raining in ooty or the weather is cool and normal??
answers would be greatly appreciated

can any one please help or suggest some do's and donts.as this is my first trip to ooty and kodai.
Hello Suhail, i suggest you to have a look either to ooty or Kodai, because both are at a great distance(250-350kms distance).

In ooty you can move round near Botanical gardens, there are some nice restaurants.

Be careful that Lower GC cars takes hits(underbody) very much.

Top Bottom