The Way 2 Wheelers Are Treated on Indian Roads

I was planning to start a thread to talk about ever-increase rash driving habits of 2W users. That's when I stumbled on this thread..

In highways, the only problem used to be lorries around 10 years back and within the city it was autos and busses. Now, I feel lorries have become very disciplined and seldom a cause of concern in the highways. It could be also be because magnitude of other trouble makers are so high [anger], we don't feel lorries as threat.

While mini-tempos are one of main irritants nowadays, 2 wheelers are equally annoying as well both within the city and highways. In the highways, instead of they being scared of rash driving car drivers are more afraid because even slightest impact will seriously injure / kill the 2 wheeler riders. Do they even realize that their life is at risk they zip across speeding cars ?

Within the city the problems caused by 2W is multifold. As some friends discussed earlier in this thread, most 2W drive as if only they have right of the road. They don't give a damn to your rear view mirrors, bumpers etc. Even if they bang and cause severe damage to any of these, unless there is some damage to their ride or themselves, they don't care even to stop.

And irrespective of whose fault it is, on most occasions 4W guys end up taking the blame only for the reason that they are driving bigger vehicle & go through all trouble. Needless to say about the standard police response "Sir, you were driving bigger vehicle & hence need to take responsibility"

I know it is absolutely impossible to correct even a single 2W user by cribbing.. or even creating an awareness session, unless they go through an accident personally. I think it is time for enforcement folks to rethink about rules taking in to consideration current generation 2W & 4W users. For example, there should be heavy fine for rash driving (not just over speeding) to that tune for 1000 per instance or so, which will make 2W user think twice. Again no rule will be helpful, unless it is enforced diligently and honestly as well.

In highways, the only problem used to be lorries around 10 years back and within the city it was autos and busses. Now, I feel lorries have become very disciplined and seldom a cause of concern in the highways. It could be also be because magnitude of other trouble makers are so high [anger], we don't feel lorries as threat.

While mini-tempos are one of main irritants nowadays, 2 wheelers are equally annoying as well both within the city and highways..

Within the city the problems caused by 2W is multifold..

Needless to say about the standard police response "Sir, you were driving bigger vehicle & hence need to take responsibility"
Absolutely bang on target. On a highway, I feel that Lorries and trucker and even the buses are pretty well disciplined. Infact the car drivers are feels are the ones who are rash.

But when the two wheelers and three wheelers enter the scene, that changes altogether.

I feel they belong to different species altogether.

Be it city, or highway the two wheelers seems to have thier own rules. While driving they would drive in such way that its impossible to overtake clearly. Need to honk them so as to get the way.
And while overtaking even slight gap is enough for them. Side is immaterial to these species. Any side is right side.
They can stop the vehicle at their whims and fancy, on any side of the road, bridge, flyover.
They can hold a phone between ear and shoulders (by tilting the head in 45 Degree angle and by raising shoulders ) and talk and drive.
Take turns either ways without intimating. Turn and look back. Rear view mirrors are for looking at one self and not the driver.
Indicator are an useless addition on the bikes and good for nothing feature. Provided only to improve the asthetics of the bike.

There are few four wheeler species as well who find Rear veiw mirrors are useless addition to a vehicle. Have seen big cars like city and elantra drivers closing thier outside rear view mirrors and driving the car without a care in the world. I guess these have evolved from the two wheeler ones.

Teenager on the two wheel are like live bomb running on the road. Very few scenario will be there, if a teenager is involved in a accident and Casualty is very less.

Now a day all two wheeler are capable of 100+ kmph and this functionality is tested for every single opportunity they get.So what if they are in city, that can't be let off. So if they get a 50 mtrs of clear road, this has to be tested.

One more common scenario at the traffic light. They will place them self at signal to the front at any cost by squeezing,scarping,turning the ORVM etc etc. Then the count down already have begun.Just think the scenario of drag race. Normally drag race happen between two racers,but here all are drag racers and and the road is their track.When the countdown will reach to 10 all bike will start and when it is near 5 all will be ready with gear to proceed.Now the countdown is at 0,all two wheel will try to zoom to the vehicle's core. and all vehicle will roar to the best they can do.A small race will happen and the same thing will repeat at the next signal.

Last edited:
Teenager on the two wheel are like live bomb running on the road. Very few scenario will be there, if a teenager is involved in a accident and Casualty is very less.
A teenager has got young hot blood, whatever you do, can not curb them. They run always, that is the nature of a teenager. This is going for generations.

Then the count down already have begun.Just think the scenario of drag race. Normally drag race happen between two racers,but here all are drag racers and and the road is their track.When the countdown will reach to 10 all bike will start and when it is near 5 all will be ready with gear to proceed.Now the countdown is at 0,all two wheel will try to zoom to the vehicle's core. and all vehicle will roar to the best they can do.A small race will happen and the same thing will repeat at the next signal.
This is very dangerous but a good scene to watch.
[I also do it sometimes and it is fun to do, but I give up after say 100mtrs.[;)]

All said and done it is irresponsible act by teenagers since even smallest mistake at high speed is dangerous (not just for themselves). Parents are also to be blamed for buying them powerful bikes at an age when they are not fully matured.

One of my nephews hit a dog while speeding from signal. Since he wasn't wearing a helmet had a bad head injury & he is undergoing very painful & long recovery. 6 months since injury he has retained only partial consciousness - still cant walk, talk etc. A moment of adrenaline rush (what you are calling as young blood), completely screwed up lives of so many folks. No justifications please !!

But it is not just teenagers. Even middle aged & elderly people try to squeeze through without bothering about damaging doors, side view mirrors or bumpers. To avoid scratches to front bumper I generally try close in gap on the front & one side (reducing risk) & last week one guy shouted at me in traffic for not leaving gap at the front for him to squeeze through. [anger][cry]

I generally try close in gap on the front & one side (reducing risk) & last week one guy shouted at me in traffic for not leaving gap at the front for him to squeeze through. [anger][cry]
It seems same in every state or city in India. Is there any member from any state who can deny this?[cry] As an Indian we shall be happy then.

Last edited:
As i have observed half of the two wheelers never ride responsibly,they dont have any mirrors at all,but ya the other half still do give some faith in humanity when they stop & let you pass & are polite.

But its really sad to see how much they put themselves at risk for making up a little distance & its even annoying crossing the road cos its like predicting which way the zig zag two wheeler is going to go,especially when they come at you without lifting off the throttle.

Last month i remember in traffic a lady on Scooty pep had a little child sitting behind her without any grip,she just changed lanes right into my left fender(not even in front of the car),i braked & was convinced car behind me would rear end me(although slow 30km/hr traffic),she dint even care & coolly went on like nothing happened.Am sure if she had clipped my car it would have been an ugly scene,even if public knew or saw who was at fault.
They can hold a phone between ear and shoulders (by tilting the head in 45 Degree angle and by raising shoulders ) and talk and drive.
Take turns either ways without intimating. Turn and look back. Rear view mirrors are for looking at one self and not the driver.
Indicator are an useless addition on the bikes and good for nothing feature. Provided only to improve the asthetics of the bike.

There are few four wheeler species as well who find Rear veiw mirrors are useless addition to a vehicle. Have seen big cars like city and elantra drivers closing thier outside rear view mirrors and driving the car without a care in the world. I guess these have evolved from the two wheeler ones.
My friend had an accident a week ago cos a 2 wheeler guy as u mentioned on his cellphone just cut from junction into busy traffic,ramming my frnd & another two wheeler,car behind them nudged my friend.

If you see my current status its about indicators,cos every day i wait at junctions assuming the two wheeler or car will pass ,only to see they turn in other direction! If they had used indicators i would not need to wait & be annoyed.[frustration]
One more common scenario at the traffic light. They will place them self at signal to the front at any cost by squeezing,scarping,turning the ORVM etc etc. Then the count down already have begun.Just think the scenario of drag race. Normally drag race happen between two racers,but here all are drag racers and and the road is their track.When the countdown will reach to 10 all bike will start and when it is near 5 all will be ready with gear to proceed.Now the countdown is at 0,all two wheel will try to zoom to the vehicle's core. and all vehicle will roar to the best they can do.A small race will happen and the same thing will repeat at the next signal.
I like to stretch my car when i get an opening,on my usual route i get a strech after signal,unfortunately two wheelers cut ahead at signal & even when they all race off you will still have one biker with formal shoes granny shifting & holding back traffic [roll]
But it is not just teenagers. Even middle aged & elderly people try to squeeze through without bothering about damaging doors, side view mirrors or bumpers. To avoid scratches to front bumper I generally try close in gap on the front & one side (reducing risk) & last week one guy shouted at me in traffic for not leaving gap at the front for him to squeeze through.
Actually two wheeler users & auto drivers here in Bangalore are most verbally abusive people i feel.My apartment is on a narrow road where traffic shoots up in the evenings, two wheelers block me from the opposite side as they try cutting ahead of standing traffic. I just can go on & on about annoying cases & can write a book about it.
I have not had two wheelers asking me to move(verbally) yet,but have honked annoyingly ,some wildly from behind,in one case where i put the car into reverse sending him a clear message.
@ TAi Dhana,next time ask the abuser if he would like to drive through the car,you will open the doors for him to pass :)

Last edited:
If you see my current status its about indicators,cos every day i wait at junctions assuming the two wheeler or car will pass ,only to see they turn in other direction! If they had used indicators i would not need to wait & be annoyed.
I am also facing the same problem almost everyday. While crossing a junction I see a two wheeler coming at moderate speed without any indicator. I simply wait to let the two wheeler pass. But to my surprise that two wheeler will take sudden left / right turn at the junction. This is really [frustration]

On top of that I have seen two wheelers squeeze between two trucks to overtake them on Highway[frustration]. This is a common scenario in Mumbai Pune highway stretch between Bhumkar Chowk till Katraj.

Top Bottom