The Way 2 Wheelers Are Treated on Indian Roads

Big vehicle always think that he is more powerful, Ego problem, You will not give way to bike and a truck will not give way to you.
I daily go to office on bike and from my experience :

Despite of giving indicator for turning well in advance, cars will act like they didn't saw it.
People walking think for bike like he will stop, or swing, never care for us.

In night, when opposite vehicle came in high beam i constantly try to beep my pass light 10 times hoping that car will come to low, sometimes car will low down but sometimes he will try to come towards you, and i finally completely blind and ended up to slow down to 10 kmph and at edge of road. (just think if there's a poth hole or some cycle driver there with/near to car)

while on single road, if any big vehicle decide to overtake and he see a bike coming he will not care and think like bike will go off road to save himself.

same thing happens when i'm in car and facing some big vehicle (truck/suv)
This is 100% true and well said Mahender Singh and happened single lane highway/bypass in my place.

Now these days some car got extra headlights (factory fitted not after market), don't know which series of car have but experienced with vista line up many time - with constant flashing with additional headlamp + High beam when they overtaking other vehicles they want you (as you come from opp. direction) to completely leave the road and drive your bike in the loose gravel/mud/construction stone lying besides so they can speed away in Dark .

Last edited:
This is 100% true and well said Mahender Singh and happened single lane highway/bypass in my place.

Now these days some car got extra headlights (factory fitted not after market), don't know which series of car have but experienced with vista line up many time - with constant flashing with additional headlamp + High beam when they overtaking other vehicles they want you (as you come from opp. direction) to completely leave the road and drive your bike in the loose gravel/mud/construction stone lying besides so they can speed away in Dark .
In my opinion when a person is getting driving license then he/she should learn how to behave in road, be familiar with traffic, how to use headlight high beam/low beam, how to react, how to obey traffic rules, where to stop everything, then only license should be issued. For all these Govt. should take the required steps, otherwise the same system will go for generations and may become worse in future.

In my opinion when a person is getting driving license then he/she should learn how to behave in road, be familiar with traffic, how to use headlight high beam/low beam, how to react, how to obey traffic rules, where to stop everything, then only license should be issued. For all these Govt. should take the required steps, otherwise the same system will go for generations and may become worse in future.
Every body know about it, that there is some sort of rule are exist ,But who cares about this. Some couple days ago a 14 years boy died while driving a scooter in Bangalore. Whom do should be blame for this.It is not a isolated case,daily a lot are happening,but couple are getting captured by media.

I would say the two driver should be more careful than any other media of transport be it auto,car ,bus etc. Two wheeler dose not have any safety feature.Even in auto also fatality will be less than the two wheeler.

In Bangalore, two wheeler drive like a crazy.Every single inch will be filled.They will hit your ORVM, Scratch your car body while in the red signal.Most pathetic is they will ride on the footpath and honk at the footpath walker and abuse also if not given way.As if they have only important work to do and rest of the world are just roaming on the road.

An ill-educated/ignorant person will show what he is, on roads irrespctive of whether he drives a 2-wheeler or a 4-wheeler. Only that with a 2-wheeler, it becomes easier for him to dart into gaps, at will, in the traffic, thus more evident.

In Bangalore, two wheeler drive like a crazy.Every single inch will be filled.They will hit your ORVM, Scratch your car body while in the red signal.Most pathetic is they will ride on the footpath and honk at the footpath walker and abuse also if not given way.As if they have only important work to do and rest of the world are just roaming on the road.
It is really hard to believe, people ride through footpath [surprise] . Sheer crazy. What all traffic police do?
I should say that compared to that it is much more sane in Kolkata. At least Kolkata traffic police is too much strict. They will fine you out of nowhere, and suddenly. So minimal rules are maintained. But this should be much more.[anger]

I believe it's a problem with person's nature. A sober guy whether he is educated ,poor or rich will have some sense to respect other commuters on road. People are barging here that 2-wheelars should be banned from road or they do not have right to be road etc etc. You can hate them but cannot ignore them. Just imagine all the two wheelars will start using car then what would be traffic situation in city. I drive both car and bike but never push it to an extent which cause other any problem. Yes, 2-wheelars have to be more careful while negotiating at red-signals.I am also one of the victim of this where one Bajaj Discover's foot rest scarted my door now it's require re-painting. But after this incident am I suppose to abuse or hate all the 2-wheelar riders. It is a nation where all of us cannot afford car and also infrastructure does not allow the same. I used to commute on car but I felt I am taking 1 hour extra so again started using bike. If you ride it sensible then you cannot hurt other.

Many car driver honks a lot and do not give a damn to pedestrian and even refused to slow down at Zebra crossing. I request all to think twice before commenting at others.

Well basically there are few factors which are responsible for driving:
1. Lenient/ or rather no test for obtaining a drivers license.
2. No strict enforcement of rules.
3. Insensitivity towards other (Careless attitudes of Drivers towards others)
4. "Chalta hai" attitude that we indians have in common.

Everyday, I see most of the problem mentioned in the posts above.

Two wheelers going on footpath (Whether he is educated nor not). I see some honk at people walk on footpath. Some wait on side till pedestrian passes.

I too have car & two wheeler. I mainly take two wheeler to reach in time & traveling alone in car does not make the Bangalore traffic any better.

These days, am used to hearing abuses from bike riders/ car drivers.
Yesterday, was at kanakapura signal (Bangalore) on RED. Another guy came and hit on by bike's back side(Happened after 30-40 second after i stopped). I asked 'What is this' . He said 'Go man' (in kannada with a bit of own touch). That is, you should not care even if you are hit by someone. Not all are like this 'Gentleman'.

Today, I went to Bommanahalli from BTM layout and saw at least 5-6 car drivers (including women) speaking on phone. The moment you honk, some gets panic and some ignore. They care a damn on the other vehicle on road. Does that mean all car drivers are bad ?

While coming back, near SilkBoard junction, there is a free left. But, it was blocked with a series of cars. Cars, bus, bikes and lorries were blocked because those 'High-Class / well educated' guys wanted to go to right which got a signal. The guy at front was not a cabbie. It got an IT company parking sticker. So, all well educated guys behave well on road? All are bad ? I guess NO.

If everyone started behaving & riding properly, you may not see many people riding on footpath. If everyone is getting proper roads, they need not overtake you from left (when CAR goes on extreme right at times).

Till these things are not learned by everyone, those who drive cars continues to abuse two wheelers. Two wheeler riders continues to abuse 4 wheelers & others. That will go on.

Everybody is telling that the problem is Indian people's mentality or nature or may be salta hai attitude. But IMHO it is the problem with enforcement of rules. Enforce the traffic rules very very strictly. Don't spare anyone. Just think the same Indian people when they visit abroad they behave differently.

Everyday, I see most of the problem mentioned in the posts above.

Two wheelers going on footpath (Whether he is educated nor not). I see some honk at people walk on footpath. Some wait on side till pedestrian passes.

I too have car & two wheeler. I mainly take two wheeler to reach in time & traveling alone in car does not make the Bangalore traffic any better.

These days, am used to hearing abuses from bike riders/ car drivers.
Yesterday, was at kanakapura signal (Bangalore) on RED. Another guy came and hit on by bike's back side(Happened after 30-40 second after i stopped). I asked 'What is this' . He said 'Go man' (in kannada with a bit of own touch). That is, you should not care even if you are hit by someone. Not all are like this 'Gentleman'.

Today, I went to Bommanahalli from BTM layout and saw at least 5-6 car drivers (including women) speaking on phone. The moment you honk, some gets panic and some ignore. They care a damn on the other vehicle on road. Does that mean all car drivers are bad ?

While coming back, near SilkBoard junction, there is a free left. But, it was blocked with a series of cars. Cars, bus, bikes and lorries were blocked because those 'High-Class / well educated' guys wanted to go to right which got a signal. The guy at front was not a cabbie. It got an IT company parking sticker. So, all well educated guys behave well on road? All are bad ? I guess NO.

If everyone started behaving & riding properly, you may not see many people riding on footpath. If everyone is getting proper roads, they need not overtake you from left (when CAR goes on extreme right at times).

Till these things are not learned by everyone, those who drive cars continues to abuse two wheelers. Two wheeler riders continues to abuse 4 wheelers & others. That will go on.
All the problem point you mention has not happened in a day or even a year. It took decades. Now the whole system got crooked. Bringing back in straight line would be daunting task, but should start at some point.

It is really hard to believe, people ride through footpath [surprise] . Sheer crazy. What all traffic police do?
I should say that compared to that it is much more sane in Kolkata. At least Kolkata traffic police is too much strict. They will fine you out of nowhere, and suddenly. So minimal rules are maintained. But this should be much more.[anger]
Well in Bangalore also if traffic police see them doing this, traffic police fine them.But this fine dose not deter them to this again.They become more vigilant and more smart .Next time they will get down from the footpath to the road before the police notice them .

I understand that the two wheeler guys are taking all the wrath of the weather.They are directly in contact with the smoke,dirt,heat or rain or cold air always. May be this might be making them little more impatient or may be little agitated.

I always give way to two wheeler if it is raining or during mid of the day when heat is more.Sometime I really feel bad when it is red signal and it is raining, car guy might be enjoying the music and rain altogether.But the poor two wheeler guy is getting wet in the rain water .

Well in Bangalore also if traffic police see them doing this, traffic police fine them.But this fine dose not deter them to this again.They become more vigilant and more smart .Next time they will get down from the footpath to the road before the police notice them .
But every rider or driver here is so much scared of traffic sergeant that they dare to do too many foul things. Without helmet riding and not getting caught means he should buy lottery ticket that day and will surely win.

I always give way to two wheeler if it is raining or during mid of the day when heat is more.Sometime I really feel bad when it is red signal and it is raining, car guy might be enjoying the music and rain altogether.But the poor two wheeler guy is getting wet in the rain water .
Please do not insult 2 wheeler riders. As biking and car driving is not same. Bikes are ridden by passion, what ever it takes if you do not have the sheer passion you can not ride bike. That is why the name comes "BIKER". A bike gives a person freedom, freedom to fly like a bird, express your inner feelings, feel the gush of air, feel the motion. These only a true BIKER can understand. [:)]

Please do not insult 2 wheeler riders. As biking and car driving is not same. Bikes are ridden by passion, what ever it takes if you do not have the sheer passion you can not ride bike. That is why the name comes "BIKER". A bike gives a person freedom, freedom to fly like a bird, express your inner feelings, feel the gush of air, feel the motion. These only a true BIKER can understand. [:)]
You got me wrong mate. BIKER and two wheel Rider are altogether different nodes.
Two wheel rider use bike just as a communication medium.They are just bother about how fast it can go and "Kitna deti hai".
But Biker see a bike in a absolutely different way.So far what I have seen Biker use the highway to enjoy their passion and freedom, but in side city, I don't think so,IMO.

Thread Starter #29
Re: the way two wheelers are treated in indian roads

@ roman,

Please dont feel bad. But as a car driver, I hate the majority of bikers on the road. Personally, I would go to the extent of saying - they dont deserve my respect.

Reasons are simple -

1) You give respect, you get respect.
2) They show absolutely no care to our car's ORVMs while we are stationary.
3) They zig zag around you, making your driving experience stressfull.
4) On a signal, they will cut across all cars and stand in front of you. When the signal turns green, they are the slowest to move.
5) They have absolutely no lane discipline.
6) They drive on the opposite side of the road after jumping through dividers.

Not all bikers are bad riders, but the majority of them are. Personally, if given a choice, I would want all 2 and 3 wheelers off the road. They are a menance to 4 wheelers.

I sometimes think - what is it that the 2 wheelers or 3 wheelers are arrogant about? That they can scratch our cars if we are not careful or slow? What if all car owners decide to mow down 2 wheelers coming in their way? Think about it...
i have been driving since 1985 and i have treated all road users with courtesy and respect.

my college mates joined me in kovalam a fortnight back and we reached there in our bikes for the sake of old times and we discussed how indian roads are becoming more and more dangerous for bikes.we all have cars but still enjoy a ride in our steeds.we are still the old biker gang of s.n college who drove from kollam in kerala to mercara in karnataka in our college days back in the 80s.

cars usually want to block bikes in u-turns and y intersections they usually tailgate a bike and hit the bike if the bike encounters a rough piece of road.

the car owners worry about a broken ovrm or dented bumper but a biker worries about broken ribs and a brain in coma.

once a pulsar hit my safari when the biker missed my car when he joined the main road from a byroad it was obviously his fault ,my gut instinct was to check the man's safety rather than being angry enough to mow him down.the safari got a big dent near the left wheel arch and the man escaped with a broken arm and a non fatal head injury and i claimed insurance.

we always remember the biker who broke our ovrms and dented our bumpers but never the biker who lost his life for no fault of his

Last edited:
Re: the way two wheelers are treated in indian roads

My comments are in bold. No offence mate just want to clear some things

Please dont feel bad. But as a car driver, I hate the majority of bikers on the road. Personally, I would go to the extent of saying - they dont deserve my respect.

Reasons are simple -

1) You give respect, you get respect.

i agree
2) They show absolutely no care to our car's ORVMs while we are stationary.

that's somewhat wrong, we biker's know that car parts cost a bomb at-least for us, so we drive with extreme care at busy spots. what i see that if bike touch's some car bumpers/ ovrms and than car owner with his friends will beat you, abuse you. ( como'n guys that's just bumper and we didn't did it intently ) it can be repaired but if you hit biker a hard he might lost his life too. If you behave friendly he might give you repair bill too. i know it hurts but its just mistake that can be happened on a very busy road by anyone. Think about it. What will you gain by beating him, will u get your money?

3) They zig zag around you, making your driving experience stressfull.

can't comment on this as i never did this, this type of guys just don't understand that what if bike tyre got slipped and thy came under vichle behind them. They just don't have respect for their own life as well as others

4) On a signal, they will cut across all cars and stand in front of you. When the signal turns green, they are the slowest to move.

We do so because bikes are small in size and can easily pass between standing jamed traffic. But we do it very carefully as if some one's car got even slightest scratch then you never know... Can you move your car at traffic light? Actually car owner get pissed when he see himself standing in red light and a biker passing in front of him and gets up to front of line.. i have seen that many car owner try to sandwich biker between them so he can't get pass.
5) They have absolutely no lane discipline.

Mostly we try to be on left side as we do care for our life. car owner will drive with a dent but we can loose our life.
6) They drive on the opposite side of the road after jumping through dividers.

LOL if cars could jump dividers then might be we didn't found such comments.. BTW i'm not saying that its right.

Not all bikers are bad riders, but the majority of them are. Personally, if given a choice, I would want all 2 and 3 wheelers off the road. They are a menance to 4 wheelers. and vice-verse

I sometimes think - what is it that the 2 wheelers or 3 wheelers are arrogant about? That they can scratch our cars if we are not careful or slow? No they know that they can get killed if car owners are not careful or slow What if all car owners decide to mow down 2 wheelers coming in their way? Think about it...

basically Biker don't drive bike by choice, but we are lower middle class who can't afford car for daily long use. I have seen that many persons sitting in car all alone and going to office, when i was in college i use to think that how good it might be if he use bike for his office in that way he might save some on oil and there would be more space on road too [evil].

3 wheelers are really a problem but if we watch from their point of view than he also have something to say.

If i have hurted feeling of any car owner then i'm extremely sorry.[cry]

every one have some sorrows with other but at center its our country's infrastructure, if Roads are enough wide and good with proper planning and if laws are followed by heart and strictly then there would be no problem to anyone.
And at last you have to give respect to take it, with lot of negatives for a biker how car we think good for them?

Last edited:

Top Bottom