The Way 2 Wheelers Are Treated on Indian Roads

Thread Starter #1
two wheelers are the choice of transportation for the majority of population but there is no consideration for two wheelers in indian roads shown by many motorists driving other vehicles especially the commercial ones

experiences faced.

in trivandrum i was taking a deviation in a y intersection a goods auto who was on my right(coming in the opp direction) at quite some distance charged towards me despite me flashing the headlight and using the indicators before initiating the turn.the driver wanted me to avoid the turn till he passed.things would have been different if i had been driving my tata safari.had the auto hit me i would have been hurt very badly so i had to let the freak pass by.

when driving the safari a single horn is all it takes to make the autos and other cars to behave in a sane manner but in a bike they just pay no heed to horns or indicator lights.

this trend where might is right should be avoided i had been to the u.k for five years and the way the respect each other on the road shows their general awareness of road safety

there should be greater awareness campaigns especially among the lower strata of society who drive as hired chauffeurs and auto rickshaw drivers

Last edited:
Re: the way two wheelers are treated in indian roads

dear Roman
I agree to your concern.But ,just like a coin have two sides, opinions differ when we are in different shoes.Two wheelers push things to the maximum as they are found to be the most dangerous drivers .They do lane cutting,zig zag driving ,wheelies etc.etc.
In a traffic jam ,many times you can see two wheelers squeezing in and creating more traffic jam,as if the two wheeler riders are the only people ,who needs to reach destination on time.On highways they don't give way to other vehicles .
Autos are a bigger fish in the sea, they are organized ,so they do taunt two wheelers.
The education must start from the two wheeler riders itself.
Learn to respect other users on the road.Keep the speed to the given limits.
And change of attitude towards law and order is the real change.
Cheers!

@ roman,

Please dont feel bad. But as a car driver, I hate the majority of bikers on the road. Personally, I would go to the extent of saying - they dont deserve my respect.

Reasons are simple -

1) You give respect, you get respect.
2) They show absolutely no care to our car's ORVMs while we are stationary.
3) They zig zag around you, making your driving experience stressfull.
4) On a signal, they will cut across all cars and stand in front of you. When the signal turns green, they are the slowest to move.
5) They have absolutely no lane discipline.
6) They drive on the opposite side of the road after jumping through dividers.

Not all bikers are bad riders, but the majority of them are. Personally, if given a choice, I would want all 2 and 3 wheelers off the road. They are a menance to 4 wheelers.

I sometimes think - what is it that the 2 wheelers or 3 wheelers are arrogant about? That they can scratch our cars if we are not careful or slow? What if all car owners decide to mow down 2 wheelers coming in their way? Think about it...

I feel for you Roman for the bad experience that you have encountered of late.

You have appropriately said about inculcating best driving methodology for the rick & commercial drivers. In fact i am of the view that this should be relevant for any drivers for that matter and there should not be any unfairness like upper/lower but it is for any class of people who drive automobiles.

But before I say how to bring best practices it’s a must to say that two wheelers are a real pain to deal with. No offenses to two-wheelers but most of them take the roads for granted. There have been manifold occasions when I had to negotiate these flimsy bikers while riding especially on 2 lanes. Sometimes it’s very irritating to see that despite multiple honking they don’t give you way and finally you will have to manage somehow or the other. Again nothing personal against bikers as you can see other class of drivers too involved in such wrong-doings.

Having said this I know it’s difficult to drive on Indian roads, firstly the roads are not wide enough (at least in Kerala) so there is no shoulder lanes marked properly and the bikers will rely on the available trail. Now to take a broad view, we Indians are extremely notorious when it comes to driving and for following road rules. Leave the bikers and other automobile users, what about the pedestrians? How many of us could honestly put up their hands and tell that we use only the zebra crossing to cross the roads at least while on a junction?

The best part is that the same people if they move to a foreign land we could surprisingly see them following the road rules religiously. So what is the reason for this sporadic change? It’s the unique ability of Indians to be flexible and learn things fast so I believe it’s the system and not the individual that is responsible for all the wrong-doings to a great degree. Authorities should have the courage to curb traffic violations by enforcing stricter rules/fines which will force the people to become better road users. Character building happens when you are young, so better session for school children on how to evolve as responsible citizens should be a part of the core curriculum which will ultimately help us bring up more responsible and safer drivers/citizens in the country.

Ride a cycle. You will say all motorized two wheeler, three wheeler, four wheeler , 6 wheelers & above should be banned. They are causing real problem to environment etc etc.

You ride a two wheeler. You see bus in the middle. One car on right side half. Other one on extreme left. You see plenty of space in front of cars. But they stop as close as possible to other vehicle so that two wheelers are blocked. You really started hating all autos, four wheelers , buses even the cyclists. Some of the car owners feel that they are the only one who got a car. Daily, I face this problem when I go home from office. They come on left and stop when there is a free left. They actually want to go straight but block all left side traffic. DAILY !!

When you are in auto, you shout at guys who are in car and two wheelers and bus. You wanted to reach early and because of two wheelers, cars and bus, you are stuck somewhere.

When you are on car, You hate the two wheelers the maximum. They come so close on your front bumpers and take a twist and go to the front. So you end up not giving even that small gap for two wheelers. We think that autos & bikes should be banned with immediate effect for a better road manners.

When you are inside a bus, You hate all these mentioned above. You want only Volvos should be in road as public transport and they should reach the destination faster. You hate the car guys who drive alone as occupying most of the road for no reason.

There are lots of cyclists who wear proper gear and follow the road. There are others who do not care about getting hit.
There are many bikers who follow the rules & behave properly on road. There are others who do not care a damn about other vehicles.
There are many car drives who follow the rules/lane. There are some car drivers who thinks they are the only one who owns the road.

There are very few bus drivers who follows the lane/rules. Rest of them drive like insane.

By the way, there are few auto drivers who give ways & follow rules. Some of them are goons.

To experience the above:- Travel in cycle for a week or two. Travel in two wheeler for two weeks. Travel in auto for few times. Travel in your own car once or twice. Travel in Volvo buses once or twice

EXCEPTION : Tempo/Force Traveler . Who ever I saw on the road got only one thinking. Other than TT, no one deserves the road.

EXCEPTION : Tempo/Force Traveler . Who ever I saw on the road got only one thinking. Other than TT, no one deserves the road.
Bang on. Sometimes I really wonder why are these temp travellers always in hurry? Even in dense traffic they drive like crazy.

Roman, please don't feel bad. But, whenever i am in my car i just can't tolerate the two wheelers. They just don't care about others. In fact they don't care about their own lives. Believe me in my area death due to two wheeler accidents is very common. Just 15 days back 2 employees from our company died in a two wheeler accident. Are these two wheelers doing so important work that they can't wait for a single minute and ready to get killed??

Hey Roman! Very very true. Nicely summarized!

Before I start supporting Roman's viewpoint, let me confess that many bikers, especially in South India, do think that they are sitting on a Safari and drive in a snake-like dangerous manner. I personally hate them, yes hate them and no better words please, but I have never harmed them, rather I have just always let them go before me. One instance when I really wanted harm a biker but didn't, I wish I could have:
One biker came and hitted my car's rear bumper badly when I was standing in red signal. I was in Chennai at that time and I don't know Tamil. I immediately came out and asked the guy why he did so. To my surprise, he said that he is a "local" and I am an "outsider", and that's enough reason for him to harm me! Then he ran his bike on my feet and vanished (since the signal turned green at that time). It was the height of harrassment I had in Chennai on top of all Auto-Drivers/Bikers did to me. Only literate people in Chennai are open-minded and I have many Tamil friends also. However, that was the day I felt soooo bad that I left Chennai within a month's time and relocated.

But to support Roman's viewpoint, I deeply feel bad when I heard that many of my South Indian friends lost thier loved ones (brother/father and one case a mom lost her 3 yr. old daughter) in two-wheeler accident. Personally, I can't imagine that an older person of my father's age would be doing rash-driving when he lost his life. Also, I have met the mom who lost her daughter and still she thinks that she is a killer of her own daughter. My eyes still gets full of tear when I think that. Somehow, South Indian guys are not aggressive enough to curb the wrongdoing of commercial vehicle drivers. At least, if anyone does that to me in Kolkata, people will screw them up and that's why Kolkata ccommercial vehicle drivers are quite better than Chennai drivers.

Since I have driven extensively in Kolkata and South India, I can say that Kolkata people incuding bikers drive much better.

Guys, please don't read this as South vs North story, but just my experience. I repeat I have South as well as North Indian friends and by birth I am a Bengali. I said by birth Bengali since I believe that South Indians, North Indians are at first Indians.

Last edited:

India-Traffic.jpg

Accept it or not, this is how a typical traffic in our country, most of the time. I do you see in there, other categories of motor vehicles also, not just two wheels.

Of course, two wheelers have their own advantages [read size and easy maneuverability] while squeezing in, to move ahead in the traffic.

Until we learn how to park, overtake and maintain lane discipline, have an efficient enforcement of traffic rules and improved and scientific infrastructure, the chaos will continue irrespective of whether one is on a two wheeler or a ten wheeler.

when driving the safari a single horn is all it takes to make the autos and other cars to behave in a sane manner but in a bike they just pay no heed to horns or indicator lights.
Are you sure? At times I think, even one of these wouldn't help.

jcb_3cx_2.jpg

Thread Starter #9

i have been driving both cars and bikes for the past 23 years.i have always owned bigger cars as my profession as a planter demands it. from 93-02 i had a tata estate which was a tank back then,now a safari is what i have.i have respected the rules of the road and never showed high handedness with the vehicles i owned.

when i take my bike for short commutes i usually drive in a cautious manner as one hit can be fatal but really gets angry when some vehicles refuse to let me take a u turn,y intersections e.t.c. and accelerates when i take these deviations which they would not have dared if i was behind the wheels of my safari.

my friends say that since i use a yamaha rx 100 with an explosive exhaust note ,at least some drivers may mistake me for a spoiled teenager thanks to the helmet.

some vehicles users have a prejudice against two wheelers but there are many who value human lives and drive in a sane manner.

Only literate people in Chennai are open-minded and I have many Tamil friends also.
Not only people like you hate these a***oles, people like me in chennai also hate them to the core. one way they are true, they are indeed "local" (read: cheap souls). it is always better to stay away from these kind of guys as you would do from stray dogs!

South Indian guys are not aggressive enough to curb the wrongdoing of commercial vehicle drivers. At least, if anyone does that to me in Kolkata, people will screw them up and that's why Kolkata ccommercial vehicle drivers are quite better than Chennai drivers..
very true but i believe the onus is on traffic police and not entirely on public. but i think these kind of vehicles are owned by either politicians/big shots and that's why this continue to happen. some half baked restrictions are applied but life lost is lost, nobody understands this!

Big vehicle always think that he is more powerful, Ego problem, You will not give way to bike and a truck will not give way to you.
I daily go to office on bike and from my experience :

Despite of giving indicator for turning well in advance, cars will act like they didn't saw it.
People walking think for bike like he will stop, or swing, never care for us.

In night, when opposite vehicle came in high beam i constantly try to beep my pass light 10 times hoping that car will come to low, sometimes car will low down but sometimes he will try to come towards you, and i finally completely blind and ended up to slow down to 10 kmph and at edge of road. (just think if there's a poth hole or some cycle driver there with/near to car)

while on single road, if any big vehicle decide to overtake and he see a bike coming he will not care and think like bike will go off road to save himself.

same thing happens when i'm in car and facing some big vehicle (truck/suv)

ps:

what you guys do when got completely blinded by oncomming traffic? i always fear of getting hit with some thing (pole on road/foothpath/poth hole/speed breakers)

@ roman,

Please dont feel bad. But as a car driver, I hate the majority of bikers on the road. Personally, I would go to the extent of saying - they dont deserve my respect.

Reasons are simple -

4) On a signal, they will cut across all cars and stand in front of you. When the signal turns green, they are the slowest to move.

Not all bikers are bad riders, but the majority of them are. Personally, if given a choice, I would want all 2 and 3 wheelers off the road. They are a menance to 4 wheelers.

I sometimes think - what is it that the 2 wheelers or 3 wheelers are arrogant about? That they can scratch our cars if we are not careful or slow? What if all car owners decide to mow down 2 wheelers coming in their way? Think about it...
Have you ever put your thought on why these type of things happen?
Why people take 2 wheelers, to save some time of course. But still after burning so much petrol an ordinary people does not reach at desired time, why?
Why every people need to wait at signals more than 1 min. Many a time it becomes 3-5 mins and more. Do you know it is an atrocity and gives a mental impatience when a signal is more than 45 secs. (this is according to research report by Delhi University).
Why a person will give 1 hour or more to cover only a distance of about 10 km?
Why a road is so narrow and why there are not enough percentage of roads in a city, why the road condition is so bad?

Last edited:

Have you ever put your thought on why these type of things happen?
What things happen?

Why people take 2 wheelers, to save some time of course. But still after burning so much petrol an ordinary people does not reach at desired time, why?
No idea!

Why every people need to wait at signals more than 1 min. Many a time it becomes 3-5 mins and more. Do you know it is an atrocity and gives a mental impatience when a signal is more than 45 secs. (this is according to research report by Delhi University).
Why a person will give 1 hour or more to cover only a distance of about 10 km?
Why a road is so narrow and why there are not enough percentage of roads in a city, why the road condition is so bad?
I am sorry, I am completely lost now. I did not understand the context or meaning of your post.

What things happen?
Reasons are simple -

I am sorry, I am completely lost now. I did not understand the context or meaning of your post.
Put your thoughts and think about the system, about the society, about the environment, about the culture, about all the people, their condition. You will get all the answers and proper cause.

Top Bottom