The Value of ‘L’ Board on Learner’s Cars

When I got my learner's license way back in 2004 I put the "L" board in front and rear windscreen of the car.I was always accompanied by my mother or parent as they had a proper license.But today I see lot of "L" board cars in which driver is unaccompanied by another person.

When I got my learner's license way back in 2004 I put the "L" board in front and rear windscreen of the car.I was always accompanied by my mother or parent as they had a proper license.But today I see lot of "L" board cars in which driver is unaccompanied by another person.
Well maybe it might be another person in the family with a Full Licence. Just cause there is an L board, Its not necessary that the person at the wheel is someone with just a learner's licence. And maybe it can be the other way around like you said. But we cant be sure.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Folks!
I had a doubt so I jumped in,
Imagine A Person (newly learned) has obtained a Permanent License but still does not feel confident enough in tricky situations-

(Uphill starts, panic Braking, Other Vehicles sudden lane changing, Reversing while turning, Ghat sections)

These advanced maneuvers I feel will take atleast 2000KM + Driving experience to get correctly. Shall we keep the "L" boards intact just to inform everyone that the driver is not THAT perfect in driving?[confused]

I feel having L boards makes others more Co-operative or simply maintain more distance from the car.

Here the L board drivers must be more educated on the road etiquette.
1)They are not supposed to overtake .
2)They must not drive above 80 Kmph
3)Know that others are cooperating with you and show them that care back
4)Do not overtake through the left side at any point.
5)In a junction,without signal,wait for the vehicles on the main road to pass through.
6)Drive on the left most lane.
7)Stop at zebra crossing to give way for the pedestrians.

If we cultivate these good habits when in Learners license, we can get good drivers on road. The purpose of L sticker is to make you a good driver and not to do anything on road.

Hello respected forum members,

I'm new to driving and my learner licence expired 5/3/2014 as I passed the Driving Licence Test at 27/2/2014.

As of now I didn't get any DL and it is not possible to issue the DL until the Election is over. In the meantime I may or may not get hold some doc which certify my successful DL test completion.

As bhvm point out here, Can I keep (L) board in display front & back of my car ? Is it legal ? I'm not very comfortable doing overtaking a slow Heavy vehicles from Left Hand Side (when they crawling at Right Side) as well sometime Right Hand Side if a divider is present or not ? Can I keep L board and how long ?

Below the pic of what my L board looks like

Front L.png

Back L.png

Today I crossed almost a good amount of L Boards. To my surprise some of the L boards were not visible at all.
1. L written by using red insulation tap on windshields.
2. L written by black marker in white of A5 size (Half of A4 paper)
3. L shape cutting done from A4 size pink flourcest colour paper.

I wonder, are we don't have standard for the L Board? During my driving school training, my instructor explained about size of L board which I am sharing here. May be useful to somebody who need it.

Board Size 18 cm with white background
Letter Colour RED
Letter Size height 10 cms. Width 9 cms. Thickness 2 cms.

And the L board to be prominently displayed in front and rear of the vehicle.

Hello respected forum members,

I'm new to driving and my learner licence expired 5/3/2014 as I passed the Driving Licence Test at 27/2/2014.

As of now I didn't get any DL and it is not possible to issue the DL until the Election is over. In the meantime I may or may not get hold some doc which certify my successful DL test completion.

As bhvm point out here, Can I keep (L) board in display front & back of my car ? Is it legal ? I'm not very comfortable doing overtaking a slow Heavy vehicles from Left Hand Side (when they crawling at Right Side) as well sometime Right Hand Side if a divider is present or not ? Can I keep L board and how long ?

Below the pic of what my L board looks like

View attachment 129943

View attachment 129942
I have driving license but I still use L ( made of red sticky tapes ).[:D]

I have driving license but I still use L ( made of red sticky tapes ).[:D]
I also have permanent license but still kept "L" on windshields. The size is just as per RTO norms, but the "L" is made of red tape [:)]. I am planning to keep it till i overcome stalling in lowest speed [:D]

Last edited:
I never kept L in my car's even while i was learning. But i remember the way people looked at me when i stalled the car at an junction. It was like, i am the "Bad Person of the day". I hated that and promised will never do that to anyone. Over years, i have had issues created by Learners and never did anything to panic them.

I also have permanent license but still kept "L" on windshields. The size is just as per RTO norms, but the "L" is made of red tape [:)]. I am planning to keep it till i overcome stalling in lowest speed [:D]
RTO norms include the background also along with the letter size. Don't paste "L" with red tape directly on wind shield.

We spend Lacs to purchase a car. But we save a great amount by using the red tap on the windshield directly which is poorly visible to fellow road users.

No offence. Please highlight L clearly and be safe to you and others.

My wife is learing the car i have pasted two L boards with white back ground on both the glasses.

Results

My wife has not yet banged the car in last 3 months [:D]

Sometimes I drive the car and no body honks even I am preety slow

Sometimes I drive the car and no body honks even I am preety slow
Being slow is not the only problem. In kolkata the drivers are always in hurry whether it is Sunday or beyond office hours and so they always resort to all kinds of dozing. One has to keep up with this type of driving otherwise he is a bad driver and supposed to get all types of irritating comments.

I think in Bangalore it is other way around.

If you put an L board, you get lots of honking from others even if you drive properly.
If you do not put an L board and if your vehicle stops in between, they do not honk much as they honk to an L board. (comparatively)

In Bangalore, every one honks for no reason. So do not expect people give a 'let them go' attitude to L boards.

If your registration do not start with KA, you are expected to get 'more' honking :D (Main reason to change a KL car to brand new KA car)

Top Bottom