The Value of ‘L’ Board on Learner’s Cars

I think,my issue is going to hack this thread.This is regarding 4 wheeler driving license.
(Mods:Kindly transfer to the respective thread, if any, available)
Question No 1. Is there a system of License for these driving schools?
Question No 2. Are the teachers/instructors in these schools given any license to teach?
Question No 3. If not,isn't it time to have a regulation for driving schools.
Question No.4. When will these schools feel responsible for the bad drivers?
The reason behind these questions are,I am seeing many people saying that we just got a license from a driving school, we learned to drive by our own,( by causing minor accidents) .

If,I recall, when I learned driving, through a school, it was different. They taught me for 3 months, everyday. I never had an accident till now.

The saddest part is, that of the commercial drivers.
Scenario goes like this,a guy will learn driving in a bike/auto, he will slowly start driving a taxi, the same guy graduates to Bus. He is getting a license, but his skills or his capabilities are not increased. If you see, this is the reason why bus and trucks overtake in a rash manner or parking / stopping wherever they want .(reminiscence of driving a bike or a three wheeler)

What should be done?

As regards question number 1 ,I think the answer is yes but for rest of the questions I have no idea. You are lucky that you got three months training. In MDS I got 20 hrs or 300 Km driving in two phases. After having beginner's training I thought the rest of the techniques can be achieved by the help of local drivers. Here I encountered a strange behavior. On the very first day the driver who accompanied me in a morning commented 'you know driving' and from the next day he did not help me stating he was otherwise busy.Neither other drivers of the locality expressed willingness to train. Then I had no option but joined MDS for their advanced course. And I am happy to say apart from a few scratches on my bumper I had no untoward incident so far. The scratches which I mentioned are due to my early effort to drive within my housing complex. Then I drove watching Youtube driving videos.

I think,my issue is going to hack this thread.This is regarding 4 wheeler driving license.
(Mods:Kindly transfer to the respective thread, if any, available)
Question No 1. Is there a system of License for these driving schools?
Yes. Differs from state to state. Tamilnadu has various regulation about minimum space of school, driver instructor training, training vehicles age (less than 8 years for LMV and less than 10 years for HMV)
Question No 2. Are the teachers/instructors in these schools given any license to teach?
Yes. Government specified schools test and train them. They also have to go fo refresher courses after a specific period. In TN trainer drivers have to go to Institute of Road Transport's office at Taramani or its driver training wing at Gummidipoondi or the Ashok Leyland's Training School in Namakkal or the GDN Advanced Driving School in Coimbatore. After two years, they should go through refresher training courses.
Question No 3. If not,isn't it time to have a regulation for driving schools.
See above
Question No.4. When will these schools feel responsible for the bad drivers?
The reason behind these questions are,I am seeing many people saying that we just got a license from a driving school, we learned to drive by our own,( by causing minor accidents)

If,I recall, when I learned driving, through a school, it was different. They taught me for 3 months, everyday. I never had an accident till now.

The saddest part is, that of the commercial drivers.
Scenario goes like this,a guy will learn driving in a bike/auto, he will slowly start driving a taxi, the same guy graduates to Bus. He is getting a license, but his skills or his capabilities are not increased. If you see, this is the reason why bus and trucks overtake in a rash manner or parking / stopping wherever they want .(reminiscence of driving a bike or a three wheeler) What should be done?
Due to the nature of my job, I know many people with international driving licence who got their DL after stringent tests in their country. Not a single person is confident enough to drive in our traffic. One person tried and after just 5 km, gave up. By that time, he was sweating profusely (despite a/c) , was swearing and was taking out $100 from his wallet because he just lost the bet with me [:D]
The learners are trained in low traffic areas. The aim is to pass the DL test, not to make them a good driver. No one can simulate actual Indian traffic, so novice drivers have to learn on their own in traffic. Note that most of the accidents involve professional, long time drivers who are either drunk or speeding with over confidence. Yes, there are few cases of teenage driver accidents but they are relatively few.
Everyone knows that following traffic rules, maintaining vehicles in good conditions, not mixing drinking and driving, driving only after sufficient rest, heavy fine for breaking traffic rules etc can help in reducing accidents but as we know, that is a tall order for many of us Indians. All I can say is always be vigilant and watch out for the unexpected. If you watch YouTube dashcam videos, you will know that we are not unique ! We have Russians to keep us company !!

Last edited:
I am really happy to see the initiatives TN government had taken regarding instructors. Sadly,the same cannot be said about other states. I searched in google for any course or programs for driving instructors and all that is there, in US only. Somehow,there are government registered driving schools,don't know what they mean, which boasts about world class instructors,in Bangalore . Let us hope for the best in the new policies that central government is coming out with.

Regarding Chennai traffic, I agree, as we Bangaloreans, drive on what is left of the road .[:)]

Last edited:
But holding license and using a learner's board is against law. The above mentioned guy was caught once for driving solo with an L-board. Escaped saying his wife is learning, so the L. They asked to put a removable one or cover the one when a non-L'er is driving.

Getting license and getting confidence is not always same , especially in our country .
So if anyone ant to use L board , let him/her use it till he/she gets confidence.

I personally never honk at L board cars if i find that the driver is really learning. You know, from their car manners you can tell if the driver is learning or if he is sn experienced driver loitering in a car which has an L board for some relative. If the guy is really learning, you can always schedule your speed so you can go past when he gives you the opportunity. Most leaners will give you the chance to pass anyway. If the people behind me start to honk in such a case, i just put up my hand in the car asking them to wait & most get the message immediately

I do honk at people it signals when its in the last 3~4 secs. More than being rude, its just to wake them up. Most people at switch off mentally when stopped at signals. I politely beep as gently as possible twice when the thing is about to change. More than anything, this is just that they are ready in gear when it goes green so more cars can get through and it reduces traffic backups. I only do this at known short signals or when i can see the driver distracted by is phone or talking to passengers
I also beep twice when overtaking vehicles if i am not sure that the driver has noticed me or is not aware i am passing. Not sure if i am doing right though

Ameyam

Top Bottom