The Tablet PC Buying Thread: Ask Your Queries Here

nexus 7 2013 is the one to buy in 7"
current stock in market is all 2012 version.
For sure it would be 2013 nexus if he decides to go for a 7" device.

Do you have anyone coming from USA ? If yes the dell venue pro 8 is amazing .
Or else the nexus 2013 or ipad mini is the best .

Dell Venue 8 Pro - Unboxing and first impressions - YouTube
Nice tab raja, but sadly no option of getting from US.

@Fd
It is not very easy to migrate from laptop to tab who does things on word , excel, but it is a good decision once get used. So for the kind of tasks he do every day he needs a 10 " one, 7 would be little difficult.
choose one has more space,ram,battery life.
I prefer Samsung tab over I pad
I have seen a Sony z with our member nitin-k was really good, it is expensive and won't come in that budget.
As even my requirements would be same when I buy a tablet soon, so I did little research on this already.
I agree on this. You need to swype our type everything on screen with your finger(unless you buy a keyboard).
10" or more is the ideal size. Imagine typing (pressing) numbers on the screen. Would be difficult and he may end up buying a laptop soon.

Tablet is for those who are using mainly internet, mails, presentation at times, games , etc.

Typing a whole document, creating presentation would really be a pain.

Even dual core laptops comes in and around 20k.

If I have to suggest, would recommend lenovo yoga 11.6. It is microsoft os with Tegra processor. You can bend 180 degree and use it as a tab or use as a laptop with the built in keyboard. Costs 29990 @ croma. Sleek, neat for an iim guy :-)
The first ques i asked him was how much would be his typing and he said that it would be quite less. That is when we decided for a tab rather than a new laptop. Moreover we can a BT keyboard later if his needs change. Budget is almost maxed out at 20k so looking at options aaround the same.

Thanks a ton for the very valid and great suggestion. Initially i too told him to get a laptop only as a tab is always second in typing comfort but insisted that his typing would be very less and a tablet would do. I could sense the urge in His voice to get a fab device. [;)]

He has the link to this thread, will ask him to again evaluate the possibility and convenience of a laptop. Lets see what he decides.

I use my father's iPad when he comes home at night for browsing. Yes, it's great. But you know, even browsing is a pain in it (not talking about Facebook, twitter and common websites). I really think they should bring flash to it, without flash, it's going to be well.
I really think tablets are for fun (entertainment).
Maybe it'll improve in the future. Hope so.

BTW tell him to choose the one with 4GB RAM, so future-proof. It costs around 22K.
The new netbooks now look pretty neat. :tongue:

Once you have it in mind, difficult to think of anything else. Bluetooth keyboard is good option, but normally comes in 7" (size of the device).

One of the client asked suggestion for 10"tab and gave two option. One xperia and other samsung. He bought samsung from flipkart as it came with a pen. He is not using that now a days as the files are getting saved some place and not where he wanted.:cool:

If you are thinking of laptop (at any stage), do not consider atom processor laptop. It cannot run the operating system smoothly. 1015cx is one of the worst laptop(i had one) and it is impossible to upgrade ram to 2gb. Opened completely to understand that came with the fixed chip of 1gb. Asus support for laptop is not commendable. Took almost one month in my case.

@edios,
Other tablets comes with flash support. Do not know about ipad's

@Appus,
Bro, please have a look at this model: Acer Aspire V5-121 Netbook (APU Dual Core/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 256MB Graph) (NS.M83SI.005) Rs. 21452.81 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire V5-121 Netbook (APU Dual Core/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 256MB Graph) (NS.M83SI.005) Black Online - Acer: Flipkart.com
It has an APU Dual Core processor, 4 GB RAM and some low end graphic card.
I font know whether that processor is good or not, please tell me so that I can learn.

And about the flash, AFAIK, Adobe discontinued flash for mobile device (Android including).
Also, I'm talking about complete flash support, like watching live videos etc.

Freakdude
In android - nexus 2013

Or Apple iPad mini .

Edios flash is a resource hog . And there are many apps in App Store that can run flash videos and that's not such a big deal .
The Eco system is strong there .

Gurralla in tablets there is not a rule of thumb that the ram must be so and so , it all depends on how the software is optimized . Full blown windows 8.1 on 2gb ram can run like this --->

Dell Venue 8 Pro - How fast is this baby! Multitasking! - YouTube

And iPad air with I gb ram run likes this --->

iPad Air Infinity Blade 3 Demo 1080p - YouTube

And iPad mini with 512 ram run likes this ---->

Infinity Blade 3 Gameplay on iPad Mini - YouTube

And read this now ---->

Lag on the galaxy note 10.1 2014 - xda-developers

And see this devices with much more ram ->

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt2m4k7cV8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Wqt2m4k7cV8

Guys looking to buy a tablet mainly for home usage for kids and travelling purpose, and sabsung tab 3 looks good with wifi and 3g option.
What do you guys suggest is the best suitable one, is 10" a better option or 7 and which brand and model is the best one to go for now.
dont want to spend too much but one which can be kept for a better period to use.
Most usage is for movies for kids and my work on the go.
Price wise around 15 to 16K is what i am looking at.
Suggestions please.

Freakdude
In android - nexus 2013

Or Apple iPad mini .
Exactly my shortlisted ones in tablet devices. If he changes his mood then he might go for a laptop(which I doubt, he is too much interested to hold a tab device in his hands [glasses].

@Appus,
Bro, please have a look at this model: Acer Aspire V5-121 Netbook (APU Dual Core/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 256MB Graph) (NS.M83SI.005) Rs. 21452.81 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire V5-121 Netbook (APU Dual Core/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 256MB Graph) (NS.M83SI.005) Black Online - Acer: Flipkart.com
It has an APU Dual Core processor, 4 GB RAM and some low end graphic card.
I want know whether that processor is good or not, please tell me so that I can learn.

And about the flash, AFAIK, Adobe discontinued flash for mobile device (Android including).
Also, I'm talking about complete flash support, like watching live videos etc.
Bro,
APU benchmark

& a basic i3

When you select a laptop, try to get a laptop with a better benchmark score. At least 3000 or above. Desktops with 6000+ score (AMD FX8350 scores really nice in desktop)

You can always increase the RAM size later in most of the laptops DDR3 (up to 8GB if they have two slot and 16GB if the slot supports 8gb single chip). So if you have a low end processor with 8GB or 16GB RAM, it does not do any good. But, if you have a good CPU even a 4GB/2GB will give a better result. You can not upgrade the processor in laptops (most of the time) but you can increase RAM anytime.

@Vijay,
Samsung TAB 3 with 3G slot would be the best option for you ! (On travel, to get the internet thru the SIM). If you do not have 3G Slot, you can make your android/iOS/windows phone to share the internet thru wifi-hotspot feature.

Nexus also would be a good choice. I do not know their support in India. A good 10" wont be coming in the price range you mentioned.

Last edited:
@ vijay, i will not suggest a 7" for kids or for anyone. Bigger the better. And tabs are such that you do not change very frequently. And do remembers, we need to protect ours and our kids eyes as well since we/they tend to spend a lot of time on such things.

Anything less than 10" does not make sense for reading /playing games/ watching movies etc. Also when you buy a Tab the most important thing apart from the screen size/ram is the battery. Anything less than 6000 mAh does not make sense.

@ vijay, i will not suggest a 7" for kids or for anyone. Bigger the better. And tabs are such that you do not change very frequently. And do remembers, we need to protect ours and our kids eyes as well since we/they tend to spend a lot of time on such things.

Anything less than 10" does not make sense for reading /playing games/ watching movies etc. Also when you buy a Tab the most important thing apart from the screen size/ram is the battery. Anything less than 6000 mAh does not make sense.
Buddy just a thought, since these tablet devices are always used when handheld, so, wont a bigger screen size have more bad effect on the eyes rather than a smaller size. Also, 7" is not that small that should cause strain on eyes. Say, a nice 7" tab with better ppi isn't better than a 10" with lesser ppi??

Buddy just a thought, since these tablet devices are always used when handheld, so, wont a bigger screen size have more bad effect on the eyes rather than a smaller size. Also, 7" is not that small that should cause strain on eyes. Say, a nice 7" tab with better ppi isn't better than a 10" with lesser ppi??
issue is that kids/we do not realize the time spent if you start playing a game. Another big use of tablets is while travelling in train, you tend to watch movies etc which are almost 2 hours and more.

Also for many, tablets have taken over the ritual of the morning paper and people use it to browse many newspapers. Zoom facility helps but the screen size also matters.

If the tablet is small, strain will anyways be more. Also we tend to keep contrast high since viewing becomes much better. Its obvious that a 10" screen will offer better viewing experience than a 7" in spite of the DPI.

I agree on what nitin said and i too was thinking that while on the go watching tv or playing games overall experience on an 10" would be better then on 7".
Which ones do you suggest guys i shall look for, is sammy tab3 a better choice to opt for? or any other tabs i shall look to.
And also let me know shall choose wifi +data option or only wifi as can get the data connection via mobile as well so no need to spend on data option and how much is the difference on these two variants.
I dont want to spend on pads like micromax or so brands as have heard lots of complaints about them.

Last edited:

Top Bottom