The Street Encounters with Wild Animals

once had an encounter with a wild tusker. me and family were returning from bangalore via gundalpet. passed many elephants on the road in bandipur. it was about 11 pm. suddenly a large tusker appeared on the middle of the road. he was in no mood for giving way. initialy he was about 25metres away on the road. i had been given advice by a friend to switch off the head lights and wait it out. which i promptly did. i was jittery and after few minutes i switched on the head lights and low the fellow had sneaked nearer to my car ( actualy my friend's car wagon r ) about 5 metres right in front of the car. i was really frightened and asked my friend who was in the co drivers seat what to do ?he asked me to take the car off the tarmac and speed off by the side of the tusker which i did.i guess i was really lucky.
so friends in such a situation i would suggest not to switch off the head lights.and to ride behind or in front of any large vehicle like a truck or a bus.i have seen tuskers getting off the road on seeing trucks approaching.

once had an encounter with a wild tusker. me and family were returning from bangalore via gundalpet. passed many elephants on the road in bandipur. it was about 11 pm. suddenly a large tusker appeared on the middle of the road. he was in no mood for giving way. initialy he was about 25metres away on the road. i had been given advice by a friend to switch off the head lights and wait it out. which i promptly did. i was jittery and after few minutes i switched on the head lights and low the fellow had sneaked nearer to my car ( actualy my friend's car wagon r ) about 5 metres right in front of the car. i was really frightened and asked my friend who was in the co drivers seat what to do ?he asked me to take the car off the tarmac and speed off by the side of the tusker which i did.i guess i was really lucky.
so friends in such a situation i would suggest not to switch off the head lights.and to ride behind or in front of any large vehicle like a truck or a bus.i have seen tuskers getting off the road on seeing trucks approaching.
Hmm even we had been into such situation , In 2007 we had hired a Qualis and it was a first trip to ooty, after returning from Ooty on the way in Bandipur, we were returning to mysore.
But the vehicle leaving to Madumalai were more and we were alone going towards Mysore, the vehicle in the other direction were constantly clicking photos of the elephant group which had 2 baby elephants.
Where a male elephant from the group started coming towards us.
The driver suddenly reversed the car in full speed, for upto 300 metres.
Then we waited for about 15 minutes to let those elephant group to pass that stretch, And elephants are too ferrocious and attack with speed to bottom up the car.
So reverse few metres and never pass when the herds of elephant's are on roads.

350Z

Core Team
Some interesting experiences there. During our trip to Haridwar and Rishikesh, we were warned about the Wild Elephants from Rajaji National park because every night they create a big chaos on the public roads. The localities don’t go outside their houses after 8 PM. And we were cautioned about it too. Although luckily we had no experience with them but next day while departing back Delhi, we came to know that a Gardner was killed by an Elephant early in the morning. The following pictures shows trees uprooted by those Elephants.

Drive Safe,
350Z

There are many cases of wild animals being killed by vehicles especially in Bandipur every alternative and a recent horrifying story is here:
At night time somewhere in the Gundlupet-Sultan-bathery road an elephant was crossing the road with its calf,then came an artificial beast(Read Truck) and had the calf run over its rear wheels and dragging over a few distance!!!.The beast's driver fled off! Then the forest officials alerted the highway police of the incident and the truck was caught by them in Maddur which was apprx.180,sources say they checked every truck coming from Mysore towards Bangalore and found this truck's read wheels and suspension having blood stains EDIT:Flesh of the dead calf! and then arrested the driver and booked under wildlife protection act.
And this is happening very frequently in the Bandipur stretch,so i say there should be a night ban on the vehicles
Source:Deccan Herald.

Attachments

Thread Starter #38
Found a baby hare today in our farm. Took some pictures and released it back where I found it. Was a cute and cuddly little fellow. Seems like our cat too liked him.

Thread Starter #39
Thread Starter #41
Awww!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sweet.
You should have kept it.
Its essentially a wild animal. When I find such animals or birds, I take some pictures and leave them. I keep them only if they are hurt or too little to survive on their own and release them off into the wild once they have regained strength.

And usually hares can't be tamed. I tried to keep and save a smaller one for a week which I found a year back and it died. Was only drinking milk and was not taking enough nourishment.

Its essentially a wild animal. When I find such animals or birds, I take some pictures and leave them. I keep them only if they are hurt or too little to survive on their own and release them off into the wild once they have regained strength.

And usually hares can't be tamed. I tried to keep and save a smaller one for a week which I found a year back and it died. Was only drinking milk and was not taking enough nourishment.
It looks same like a toy!.. I have one question:
Are people allowed to keep such animals at home?

Thread Starter #44
+
It looks same like a toy!.. I have one question:
Are people allowed to keep such animals at home?
If it is scheduled as protected species under the Wild Life Protection Act, Then no its not allowed.

Hares come under Schedule IV,4. of the Act and its against law to hunt them. Its also usually not allowed for people to keep wild animals as pets.

Hunting is allowed in certain cases and is mentioned in Section 11 of the Wild Life Protection Act,1972.

Viper (Snake!) on the bonnet

mods i don't know to which section this thread should be posted. please shift to the appropriate thread. today one of my colleagues was driving his xylo to office when suddenly he noticed a snake on the bonnet. he was terrified and parked the car on the side of the road. it was a viper. he had parked the vehicle below a guava tree for few hours. people gathered with sticks and were ready to kill the poor creature. but it went inside the bonnet and couldn't be traced. one of the onlookers then brought some kerosene and poured it on the inside and lo the fellow fell on to the ground. my friend intervened and saved the poor creature and let it go free.

Top Bottom