The Shining Blue TVS Jupiter 125: My Latest Two-Wheeler

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Finally, after a long waiting of around 3.5 months, I got my scooter delivered on 10th February, 2022.

Now, it's time for me to pen down a brief ownership review

The search for a new two wheeler started in the month of August 2021. I was having an 5 year old scooter which was given away to my relative thinking that I would go for an electric scooter. Of course, that decision was taken in a hurry without checking the market and availability of a good electric scooter in my area.

Frankly speaking, I was not having much knowledge about electric scooters at that time, but after giving away my old scooter, I started reading YouTube reviews of various local electric scooters, but only one or two brands were available in my area which were of course Chinese made parts assembled here and marketed as India made vehicles. And the worst was almost all of them are of slow speed scooters - 250W motor with max speed 25km/h)

Also, Opinion from others, including other TAI members was that considering my low usage, an electric vehicle is not at all needed and may not be able to save any money (electric vehicles are usually worth for those who drive atleast 30 kms a day or more. My usage of a two wheeler has been very low all these years, i.e. just about 100/120 kms per month so its not that worth going in for an electric vehicle.

There were a couple of branded ones like Ather and TVS iQube which reviews were good, but unfortunately, both of them do not have a dealership nearby my place. A good 2 months passed by searching for a good electric scooter and eventually I couldn't locate any decent brand, I started looking for Petrol variants again.

The scooters checked were TVS Ntorq, Honda Grazia, Hero Maestro Edge 125 Bluetooth, Access 125 Bluetooth. I took my friend along with me (He also was looking for a new two wheeler to replace his old Bike) who has more experience in two wheeler, to whom I have asked to test ride TVS Ntorq (the others didn't have a test ride vehicle hence unable take a test ride) and he liked the vehicle's drive quality. I too liked the scooter but I didn't like the body graphics and also the external Fuel tank lid as well as the seat opening lock was kept down below the seat (left side).

The confusion kept growing and I was not in a position to make a decision and at that time I have seen a media report that TVS planning to launch a new 125CC scooter which later confirmed that it was going to be the Jupiter 125.

So, I decided to wait for the launch of the new scooter. I spoke to the TVS dealer in my area (Malabar Motors) whose Managing Partner Mr.Ashokan is well known to me for over a decade (I purchased 3 vehicles and 2 scooters purchased by my relatives as per my recommendation from them in the last 10 years) to let me know when the new scooter will be available to see/check it.

IIn the meantime, I have been getting regular calls from another dealership for their Scooter a 125CC fully digital console with Bluetooth connected.
They even ready to provide me a test ride vehicle, but I did not show much interest as I already decided to buy a new vehicle from known people rather than a new dealer.
I also knew well the Service head of the TVS dealership so do not want to change my decision.

It is always better to deal with a dealer where you have known people around as after sales service is more important than purchasing a new vehicle

When I got confirmation from him that scooter arrived at the dealership, self along with my friend again visited the showroom on 21st October, 2021 and seen (also test driven) the scooter and we both liked it especially the large under seat storage area and the new style/look. The sales executive suggested me to pay Rs.1000 so that they can book one which I agreed. Though, the girl advised that the waiting period was around 10/15 days, but I never received that good news till 3rd week of January 2022 and I too did not push them all these days.

January 2022

Since I was not getting any positive news, I called them in the last week of Jan 22 and was promised that new scooter will be made available in a couple of days and finally I was asked to pay the full amount which I did on 2nd February 2022. The documents submitted to the RTO on the same day and was waiting for the completion of Registration formalities.

On 5th Feb the Registration number was allotted by the RTO and on 8th Feb HSRP number plate was received. I got a call from the dealer informing that the scooter will be ready for delivery on 9th of Feb, but I took delivery of the scooter on 10th of February. The ODO meter shown '1km' at the time of delivery

Delivery process was very smooth, all documents handed over to me, photos taken etc. - all over within 30 minutes.

Accessories: Seat Cover and Foot mat were given as FREE from the dealer and I opted for steel guard (Rs.2000) and scooter body cover (Rs.300).

Driven the scooter for about 1/1.5 kms and then took her to a petrol pump and filled full tank (3.92 litre has to be filled up to get the tank full mark which means around 1.1 litre was there in the tank on taking delivery). Since then I did a test drive like for 8 kms just to feel how the scooter performs, before I reach home.

It is too early to give a pros and cons about the scooter, but my initial findings are:

Pros:

1- The scooter impresses with its stability and handling , while the refinement levels are right up there
2- The scooter comes with largest under-seat storage capacity (33 litres). and that's ample space to store a lot more than knick-knacks. Two half-face helmets
will fit easily. There's also the usual hooks and an open mini glove box too.
3- The floorboard is quite large and not only accommodates the rider's legs well but is wide enough to carry other things, may be a gas cylinder.
4- The seat is long and possibly can accommodate 3 people, though it is not allowed by law.
5- The fuel tank is placed under the floorboard with reinforcements all around and the fuel filler lid is placed on the apron which is very convenient.

TVS Jupiter 125 comes with a new semi-digital instrument cluster that includes an analogue speedometer and LCD for readouts such as trip meter, odometer, malfunction indicator, average fuel economy, instantaneous fuel economy, distance-to-empty, clock, helmet reminder, Side stand indicator etc.

The Jupiter 125 shares its wheelbase with the 110CC engine Jupiter, but is longer by about 18mm. One of the reasons why this 125 CC scooter gets a longer seat.

Cons:

Too early to find out any cons on the scooter. However, wish they should have come with a fully digital instrument panel,which is already available in other brand scooters of similar range. Ofcourse TVS Ntorq comes with Bluetooth connected and digital panel, but thought TVS would provide a similar instrument panel in Jupiter 125 also.

Further, most of the other brands have the black colour for their scooters, which also missing here on Jupiter 125.

There was no Owners manual given this time instead there was a Service Handbook (just 28 pages) contains service related matters and other major topics like TVS area office details, Safety information, Running in information, Safe riding tips, Recommenede lubricants, Warranty and Services, Service information, Technical specification of the vehicle, Free and Paid service record sheet etc.

IMG_20220212_101437.jpg

TVS Motors already sent me a link with Owners manual which has to be downloaded and printed, if needed (another cost cutting process from TVS motors). It contains 88 pages and if we have to take a print out of all pages definitely need minimum one full ink cartridge.,!

My sincere thanks to all in the dealership M/s. Malabar Motors, Payyanur, especially for Mr. Ashokan K (Managing Partner) and Mr. Biju KV for all their cooperation and assistance throughout this scooter purchase process.

Herewith some pictures of the Blue Beauty:

The Jupiter 125
Jup1.jpg

The front view
Jup2A.jpg

OEM Kick Starter (Initially the scooter came without a Kick Starter)
Jup3.jpg

Central Console
Jup4.jpg

Fuel Tank cap
Jup6.jpg

Front Disc Brake/Telescopic front Fork
Jup8.jpg

Multifuncion all in one lock, Smartphone charger and front Glove Box
Jup9.jpg

Head light switch (Dim/Beam), Pass switch, Turn indicator switch and Horn switch
Jup10.jpg

Meter Console when Ignition ON position
Jup11.jpg

The large (33 Litres) under seat storage
Jup12.jpg

First aid kit and tool kit pack kept under the seat
Jup13.jpg

Chasis Number(VIN)
Jup14.jpg

The Rear side of the scooter
Jup15A.jpg

Jup16.jpg

Foot mat
Jup17.jpg

Parking Brake (rear)
Jup18.jpg

The headlight
Jup19.jpg

Rear View mirror with Chrome insert
Jup20.jpg

Intelligo switch - Engine cut off automatically if idle more than 15 seconds if kept on ON condition
Jup22.jpg

The Keys
Jup7.jpg

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Congratulations for the new scooter. The blue colour is very very beautiful. I like it very much.The scooter looks smart (and the plastics used are of good quality ).It will be a success.
What did you mean by saying that "Initially the scooter came without a Kick Starter".
Was
the kick starter not present earlier? Did you get it installed aftermarket??

Thread Starter #4

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congratulations for the new scooter. The blue colour is very very beautiful. I like it very much.The scooter looks smart (and the plastics used are of good quality ).It will be a success.
Thanks you very much

What did you mean by saying that "Initially the scooter came without a Kick Starter".
Was
the kick starter not present earlier? Did you get it installed aftermarket??
When this scooter was launched by TVS, all the variants had Kick starter, but when the first lot reached at the showroom the Kick starter was missing. Many YouTube reviews started pointing out this and then I heard that TVS started fixing the kick starter on their own. So, now it comes with Kick starter from the factory itself. [:)]

Thread Starter #6

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Just for information, the total cost (OTR) of the scooter:

Ex-showroom price - Rs.88,740.00
Registration fee - Rs.9,329
Insurance - Rs.5511
Acessories - 2,300

Total - Rs.1,05,880

++
Free Accessories: Foot mat and Half face Helmet

Jup23.jpg

Jup24.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
The helmet looking smart too!!
This carbon fibre wrap around, it's OEM or aftermarket? Looking nice. And maybe scratch proof also.

Thread Starter #8

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The helmet looking smart too!!
This carbon fibre wrap around, it's OEM or aftermarket? Looking nice. And maybe scratch proof also.
Everything in the scooter are OEM and I have not fitted any aftermarket parts yet (Ofcrouse except the steel guard).

Thread Starter #9

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Technical Specifications

Engine

Type: Single cylinder, 4 stroke, fiuel injection, air cooled, spark ignition engine
Piston displacement: 124.76cc
Air filter: Dry paper filter element
Oil filter: Wire mesh
Maixmum power in kW: 6.0kW@6500rpm
Maximum torque in Nm: 10.5 Nm @ 4500 rpm
Maximum speed: 84 km/h
Emission norms: BS VI

Transmission

Clutch: Dry - Centrifugal
Primary transmission: CVT

Chasis

Overall Length: 1852 mm
Overall width: 681 mm
Overall height: 1168 mm
Seat length: 790 mm
Ground clearance (unladen): 160 mm
Wheel base: 1275 mm
Kerb weight: (with tool kit and 90% of fuel): : 108 kg
Maximum laden weight: 238 kg
Front suspension: Telescopic hydraulic
Rear suspension: Toggle link, gas filled hydraulic damper

Brakes

Front: 220 mm dia Disc (hand operated)
Rear: 130 mm dia Drum

Tyre

Front and Rear: 90/90 - 12 54J (tubeless)

Fuel tank capaciy: 5.1 L
//

Thread Starter #10

Nairrk

Honoured Member
TVS Auto Assist

TVS Auto Assist plan has been given this time against a payment of Rs. 441/- .
The plan name is ''Platinum'' and it is valid for one year from the date of purchase.

I don't remember the above amount was billed to me separately and seems it included within the ex-showroom price for the first year.

The services provided under this Assistance are as follows:

Towing Assistance,
Onsite support for Minor repairs
Rundown of Battery
Flat Tyre
Fuel Assistance
Customer Coverage Care
Urgente Message Relay
Emergency Assistance
Key Lost/ Replacement
Taxi Assistance
Accommodation Assistance
Outward / Forward Journey
Arrangement Rental Vehicle
Coverage

(*All consumables would be charged back to the Customer. Cost of accommodation, Taxi, rental vehicle needs to be paid by the customer)

new.jpg

IMG_20220213_091710 (1).jpg

Thread Starter #11

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Some important Tips / instructions from the Owners Manual

Running-in Information

The first 1000 km is a crucial part of your scooter. Proper running-in operation during this period helps in ensuring a maximum life and smooth performance of your scooter.

The reliability and performance of your scooter depends on the special care and restrain exercised during the running-in period. It is especially important that you avoid operating the engine in high speed (RPM), which could expose the engine parts to excessive stress.

Recommended speed during the running-in is: Maximum 50 km/h speed upto 1000 km (vary the engine speed for better mating of parts).

The first free service at 500 ~ 750 km is most important. During running-in period all the engine components and other parts will have set in. All adjustments to be restored, all fasteners to be tightened. Engine and Transmission oil to be replaced. Timely performance of the first free service will ensure optimum service life and performance from the engine

Emission Control

Your vehicle is tested and certified for emission which meets BS VI emission norms and is valid for initial 12 months from the date of purchase. Get your vehicle certified by the Government authorised emission testing station after initial 12 months of usage. And ensure to get vehicle certified on expiry of the certificate obtained.

TVS intelliGO’ ( A)

TVS intelliGO’ system is introduced in TVS Jupiter 125 to automatically shut down the engine when it is kept idling for long and restart from stop condition by simply pressing the Brake and performing Throttle operation (open and close). We recommend to use of this ‘TVS intelliGO’ system to improve the fuel economy and reduces emission.

Activation of ‘TVS intelliGO’ system

TVS intelliGO’ system gets activated when the following requirements are satisfied,
1. ‘TVS intelliGO’ switch is in ‘(A) ’ position
2. Engine is warmed up and
3. When the vehicle speed has crossed 5 kmph When the vehicle meets the above condition, ‘TVS inteliGO’ system gets enabled and the intelliGO indicator ‘(A) ’ in the speedometer glows continuously and informs you that the vehicle has entered intelliGO mode and the engine will stop automatically at upcoming vehicle idling condition.

Once the vehicle enters the idling condition, the intelliGO indicator starts blinking instead of glowing and the engine stops after predetermined time. Now, the intelliGO indicator starts glowing again during the engine stop to indicate you that the vehicles has been stopped due to ‘intelliGO’ system. The vehicle stopped by ‘TVS intelliGO’ system can be restarted at any time within 5 mins from the stop of the vehicle by intelliGO feature in a simple way of applying brake and open & closing throttle trigger.

Deactivation of ‘intelliGO’ system:
1. ‘intelliGO‘ system will be deactivated if the intelliGO switch is positioned at 'off'' position or If the ISG malfunction indicator or Malfuncion Indicator light is ‘ON’
2. If there is 5 unsuccessful start of the vehicle either by electric start or by intelliGO restart method in one ignition key ‘ON’ cycle.
3. If the vehicle is not restarted within 5 mins from the idle stop condition.
4. During low battery condition the intelliGO system will be deactivated

//

Thread Starter #12

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Utility Box light (Boot light)

After taking delivery, I found that the boot light is missing in my scooter (the light supposed to be lit up automatically when the seat lid is open). I took the scooter today to the showroom and their Service Head shown me another couple of scooters of similar variant which also do not have this feature. They said that initially this feature was there and now all the scooters delivered recently do not have the feature.

I came home and just checked the Owners Manual where it is written as '' Your scooter has a provision to fix utility box light which lights up the utility Box automatically whenever the lid is open''. So TVS conveniently removed the feature and now makes it as ''Provision'' means whoever want the feature has to fit it at their cost (again a cost cutting idea from TVS)

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Utility Box light (Boot light)

After taking delivery, I found that the boot light is missing in my scooter (the light supposed to be lit up automatically when the seat lid is open). I took the scooter today to the showroom and their Service Head shown me another couple of scooters of similar variant which also do not have this feature. They said that initially this feature was there and now all the scooters delivered recently do not have the feature.

I came home and just checked the Owners Manual where it is written as '' Your scooter has a provision to fix utility box light which lights up the utility Box automatically whenever the lid is open''. So TVS conveniently removed the feature and now makes it as ''Provision'' means whoever want the feature has to fit it at their cost (again a cost cutting idea from TVS)
It is just like that starter kick issue. To cut costs they made it optional accessory. After total hungama, because it's actually very much needed feature, they added it back again. Now they have removed this light and this won't be missed much. After all there is lot of pressure to show low sticker price.
But even after all this I do believe that this scooter is very good and VFM. And you can enjoy this even without the dicky light.!!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Nairrk

Honoured Member
It is just like that starter kick issue. To cut costs they made it optional accessory. After total hungama, because it's actually very much needed feature, they added it back again.
Yes, absolutely, you are right

Now they have removed this light and this won't be missed much. After all there is lot of pressure to show low sticker price.
But even after all this I do believe that this scooter is very good and VFM. And you can enjoy this even without the dicky light.!!
Yes indeed, I don't need this boot light at all. Sometime it may cause battery drain in case we forgot to close the lid properly (It happened in my previous scooter)

Thread Starter #15

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Fuel economy and Performance

I know it is too early to calculate fuel economy of a new vehicle (just 6 days from delivery and driven only 73 km total), but just giving it for some idea how this scooter going to work in the future.

According to speedometer readings, so far the fuel economy shows as 56.4km/l. The DTE shows 201km and Odo reads 73km making total 274km which means total distance can
be covered in full tank fuel (5.1l). This works out to 53.72km/l fuel economy. Not bad, I think, as it may improve after couple of services and hope to reach the 60km/l mark as the company claims.

As far as the performance of the scooter - I have used 6 or 7 two wheelers in the past and definitely this one is much better than all those I have all these years. Very comforting and smooth ride, very good balance (even at very low speed I can keep riding without taking the foot out of the footboard).

Kick Starter - I doubt the Kick starter is not functioning as was in the case of other previous scooters. I did not use the scooter last two days and today I wanted to start the engine, hence used the Kick starter, but even after 10 or more kicks nothing happened. Tried to Push start even then the scooter was not starting. I switched the key 'off' and again 'on' and the scooter started in first push. I don't know why it is happening - Is that because of Fuel injection system which prevents easy kick starting?

Top Bottom