The Risks Involved in Driving Non-ABS Car?

350Z

Core Team
Re: The Risks of Driving Non-ABS Car?

It should not be more than 30-35k. However, I don't think it would be a wise decision to go for ABS after wards.
Amiti is right here. I personally would not suggest anything similar to anyone. Because certain things cannot be fitted afterwards or would give similar effects as the original one would have.

It is like you either has it or not..[thumbsup]

ABS Vs Non ABS braking

Hi Guys,

Though to create this thread to know the significance of ABS braking system. As we all know one of the latest technique available in Automobile braking is ABS and we have lots of online source to know about it. Still I would like to know some practical experiences to know more about it.

When a person decides to buy a car, his most of the requirements are satisfied except the ABS and Airbag which is avaiable only in Top Variant and that cost around 1 Lac extra. We know how Airbag works and thats not the thing we can discuss about since it occurs only when any hazard happen and hence we can't discuss about the experience in our day to day life.

We "The Automotive India" are the only team which can scruitanize all in detail. Thought we can analyse how effective is ABS in indian condition, How its effective from Non ABS and in what type of condition does ABS be useful. Awaiting ur responses guys.

Thanks
Ramesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ABS Vs Non ABS braking

Some facts of ABS braking evolution

One-channel, one-sensor ABS
It has one sensor located in rear and that controls all the four wheels.

Three-channel, three-sensor ABS
This has 3 sensors, 2 in each front wheel and one common for both rear wheels.

Four-channel, four-sensor ABS
This type of ABS has sensor in all four wheels. It is said that this is very effective compared to Three and One-channel ABS.

Considering the fact above, I would like to know the channel(Sensors used) used in our indian cars and how to find them. Awaiting for your input guys.

350Z

Core Team
Last edited by a moderator:

@ Alok: Well i can tell you the exact difference between ABS vs Non-ABS one.

My Scorpio is equipped with ABS.

It had a sensor failure 2 times, the braking is all together different.

With ABS when you press the brake pedal, just a gentle touch from the toe stops the car within no time.

Where as when the ABS Sensor had failed, there was drastic changes, the pedal needed to be pressed hard and it was throwing your leg back.

And when you do 3 digit speeds you will worry with Non ABS one's.

It makes your vehicle to stop than what you had anticipated.

But with ABS no worries.

And ABS won't work if you press and release brake pedal.

What it requires is Panic braking.

Scorpio is equipped with 3 Channel ABS.

Note: Normal braking pumps the brake 1 time / second.
Where as with ABS it pumps 30 times / second.

My personal experience with a car without ABS ended up in a crash.
I almost daily drive my Dad's Skoda Superb. The level of confidence you have when driving a car that stable is priceless.
Okay, so after I bought myself a cheap lancer, I wasn't used to driving it as much as the Skoda. The road was damp, and I think I was doing no more than kph when I noticed my mate in front of me brake hard because of an idiot cutting him off. He managed to stop his car inches away from the idiot. But as soon as I slammed the brakes, all the car did was slide forwards at an angle. I had a good 3-4 seconds where I could have done something. I ripped the hand brake up as well, turned the steering wheel to the right with no vail.

I ended up hitting my mates car with the drivers side front of my car. Working part time, all my money was drained after the crash. Not only does ABS save money, it saves much more valuable things - life

A picture of the damage to my car:
lancer4.jpg

i didnt know there are many versions in ABS. can anyone classify with what version of abs are cars in India equipped

AMG

Suspended

People ride 100 BHP motorcycles, which have much less traction and much more power to weight ratio and much MUCH more top speed.

And I havent ever heard them skidding.

It all depends on skill.

People ride 100 BHP motorcycles, which have much less traction and much more power to weight ratio and much MUCH more top speed.

And I havent ever heard them skidding.

It all depends on skill.
Two wheelers are completely different to 4 wheelers mate, you can't compare both of them. When you are riding a bike, you don't use the front brakes as much as you use the back ones. In case of an emergency, you automatically tend to shift your weight to the front wheel of the bike hence improving the efficiency of the front brake without locking it up. Not that it won't happen, I've seen many crashes where idiots fell of their bikes after their front whell locked up.

Hand brakes in a car are designed not to be able to use it when the car is moving, it is placed in a somewhat 'difficult to access' position when driving.

How ever safe you are on the road, you just cannot react fast enough during an emergency situation. Its just human mentality to panic when something sudden happens, it won't be in your control until its too late, that is where ABS comes in during hard braking.

It definitely helps.

Two wheelers are completely different to 4 wheelers mate, you can't compare both of them. When you are riding a bike, you don't use the front brakes as much as you use the back ones. In case of an emergency, you automatically tend to shift your weight to the front wheel of the bike hence improving the efficiency of the front brake without locking it up. Not that it won't happen, I've seen many crashes where idiots fell of their bikes after their front whell locked up.

Hand brakes in a car are designed not to be able to use it when the car is moving, it is placed in a somewhat 'difficult to access' position when driving.

How ever safe you are on the road, you just cannot react fast enough during an emergency situation. Its just human mentality to panic when something sudden happens, it won't be in your control until its too late, that is where ABS comes in during hard braking.

It definitely helps.
whether 2 or 4 wheeler, the driver/rider should use the brain. I have seen needlessly a number of people die on the roads because they did not use the brain. And even ABS can't replace common sense.

Common sense tells to keep a safe distance, which varies depending on the road conditions.

Hand brakes are a very effective tool when used correctly while driving.

Panicking is showing unprofessionality. I used to live in the mountains and therefore trained to bring the car to standstill down the serpentines without the use of the brakes (engine only). Doing this many times I acted automatically when I had 3 brake failures. No accident was the result.

The type of ABS depends on license agreements and copy rights. They are manufacturer specific. Additionally there is several generations of the different types too,

ABS has got its place in the automobile, but it is not a universal solution. On gravel it is next to useless.

What is more important then ABS is to have good quality tyres and they should be right for their purpose (No summer tyres in cold areas etc). Extremely important for stability is that the tyres on each axle are identical and the rear shocks are in good working order. And last but not least the tyre pressure should be checked regularly as this has got its own effects on the braking.

Whether ABS or not, you can drive safely at high speed. The highest speed I ever drove without ABS was 246kph and on snow around 210kph. Okay I do this professionally, but physics applies to me too.

Whether you drive with or without ABS, driving always has got its risks. The key to survive on the road is skill combined with a responsible attitude and ongoing training.

Also depends on the way you drive the car

panic and brake at higher speed will never save you even if you have 6 piston brembo brakes.
as drifter said above I agree with him

It definitely helps.
Wrong, two wheeler riders- experts or people who know what they are doing make most of the braking from the front wheel and they dont use the back brakes much. I personally shift down and just feather the rear brakes while I'll be yanking the front brake hard when in an emergency. The only times bikers use the rear brakes alone are when they are going into a turn and then too its with a downshift and a light feathering on the rear brakes.

And the majority of bikers know the fact that 60-80% of stopping power on a motorcycle comes from the front brakes alone. And the reason why bikes especially big ones dont crash as much as cars do is cause people respect the limits of bikes more than on cars, cause you dont get a second chance 90% of the time while on a bike.

@ drifter: I wont agree you on the aspect that ABS is useless on Gravel, its more useful on slippery surfaces.
And what ABS requires is Panic braking in case of emergency, then only ABS comes into play and stops well before.

Last edited:

Top Bottom