The Risks Involved in Driving Non-ABS Car?

verna

Suspended
+1 to above statement. Once due to some morons jumping a signal i had to brake hard to avoid hitting them , my wheels locked and skidded.[frustration]

So without ABS is always a risk.
What is meant by the term "locking of wheels" and skidding ?? When one pushes the brake hard and all the 4 wheels come to a standstill and the vehicle skids,specially during rainy weather, are you meaning that ?[confused]

So what happens incase of a vehicle equipped with ABS and EBD ?
What about Brake Assist ?
And Mechanic brake Assist and Hydraulic brake assist ?
Traction control is to prevent the vehicle from skidding/overturning at high speeds while taking turns, i guess.
And ESP ?

ABS,EBD,TC,MBA,HBA,ESP. Are all a part of the package in Skoda Laura L&K.

I always had one doubt in my mind when it came to Airbags !! Are they really safe/ Do they really help ?
In the user manual of my car, it is written that an whichever airbag will inflate, the person concerned will possibly not be able to see it.... He will just be able to see the deflated airbag and fine powder and dust. (the whole thing is a matter of a fraction of seconds).
Is this the same in all cars (Including Mercs,Bimmers,Audis,VWs,Skodas etc.) ??

Recently a family friend of ours met with a serious accident (due to god's grace, he survived)... His father was saying that the impact was so high that the airbag got deflated !![confused] Now, Is it that the man / his son were not aware of airbags getting deflated immediately after they get inflated or does it vary from car to car ????
The car concerned here was a Skoda Fabia.

Re: The Risks of Driving Non-ABS Car?

I always had one doubt in my mind when it came to Airbags !! Are they really safe/ Do they really help ?
In the user manual of my car, it is written that an whichever airbag will inflate, the person concerned will possibly not be able to see it.... He will just be able to see the deflated airbag and fine powder and dust.....( the whole thing is a matter of a fraction of seconds).
Is this the same in all cars (Including Mercs,Bimmers,Audis,VWs,Skodas etc.).... ??

Recently a family friend of ours met with a serious accident (due to god's grace, he survived)... His father was saying that the impact was so high that the airbag got deflated !![confused] Now, Is it that the man / his son were not aware of airbags getting deflated immediately after they get inflated or does it vary from car to car ????
The car concerned here was a Skoda Fabia ....
TELL ME about it!
my friend went from australia to India and on her way back she emailed me that she is coming.
2 days later I found she is in Comma cuz she met accident near delhi airport.
I hope she gets better..She is in comma from over a month.

She is a nice car enthusiast drives a Ford Falcon XR6

What is meant by the term "locking of wheels" and skidding ?? When one pushes the brake hard and all the 4 wheels come to a standstill and the vehicle skids,specially during rainy weather, are you meaning that ?[confused]

Traction control is to prevent the vehicle from skidding/overturning at high speeds while taking turns, i guess...
And ESP ?

ABS,EBD,TC,MBA,HBA,ESP.... Are all a part of the package in Skoda Laura L&K.
Yes, that is what we mean by locking wheels, basically when you slam the braes and if your car isn't equipped with ABS the wheel locks up (Doesn't spin) whilst the car is still moving forward. It increases you stopping distance dramatically.

Traction control is basically a unit that stops you from doing burnouts [lol] In all seriousness, it is to reduce wheels spin while take off or for that matter when ever the drive wheels spin excessively. It won't help in stopping the car while overturning.

In the user manual of my car, it is written that an whichever airbag will inflate, the person concerned will possibly not be able to see it.... He will just be able to see the deflated airbag and fine powder and dust.....( the whole thing is a matter of a fraction of seconds).
Is this the same in all cars (Including Mercs,Bimmers,Audis,VWs,Skodas etc.).... ??

The dust we are talking about here consists of cornstarch, french chalk, or talcum powder, which are used to lubricate the airbag during deployment.
Aribags are designed to come out within a fraction of a second, so yeah it is the same case.

Last edited by a moderator:

@ drifter: I wont agree you on the aspect that ABS is useless on Gravel, its more useful on slippery surfaces.
And what ABS requires is Panic braking in case of emergency, then only ABS comes into play and stops well before.
Whether you do agree or not, you can't deny the facts. On gravel the maximum braking is achieved with locking up the wheels.

I am an automotive engineer and also hold sailing licenses. From experience I can tell that people who panic are dangerous. ABS will not save lives when panicking. The key to survive is preventing an accident, which requires thinking ahead. Part of thinking ahead is preparing oneself for eventualities.

Everyone thinking that they can handle a car just because they passed the driving test should think twice.

verna

Suspended

Yes, that is what we mean by locking wheels, basically when you slam the braes and if your car isn't equipped with ABS the wheel locks up (Doesn't spin) whilst the car is still moving forward. It increases you stopping distance dramatically.

Traction control is basically a unit that stops you from doing burnouts [lol] In all seriousness, it is to reduce wheels spin while take off or for that matter when ever the drive wheels spin excessively. It won't help in stopping the car while overturning.

The dust we are talking about here consists of cornstarch, french chalk, or talcum powder, which are used to lubricate the airbag during deployment.
Aribags are designed to come out within a fraction of a second, so yeah it is the same case.
It comes out within a fraction of a second, yes and then ?? deflates right ? or does it remain inflated ?? I was surprised when a family-friend met with an accident and I heard that the impact was "SO MUCH"[confused] that the airbags burst !![confused]

I always had the opinion that airbags immediately inflate within a fraction of a second and get deflated too. Its too fast for the person concerned to notice.
And yes, Airbags are dangerous without seatbelts !! They can "KILL"

AMG

Suspended

Were they wearing the seat belts?

An Airbag wont inflate till seatbelts are worn because it is the seatbelt that houses the Airbag Sensor.

Traction control is to prevent the vehicle from skidding/overturning at high speeds while taking turns, i guess...
And ESP ?

ABS,EBD,TC,MBA,HBA,ESP.... Are all a part of the package in Skoda Laura L&K.
ESP means electronic stabilisation program, which will be helpful when the tyre looses traction, it comes into play.
Especially on slippery roads it brakes and releases intermittently.
So that the car will be in full control.

Whether you do agree or not, you can't deny the facts. On gravel the maximum braking is achieved with locking up the wheels.

I am an automotive engineer and also hold sailing licenses. From experience I can tell that people who panic are dangerous. ABS will not save lives when panicking. The key to survive is preventing an accident, which requires thinking ahead. Part of thinking ahead is preparing oneself for eventualities.

Everyone thinking that they can handle a car just because they passed the driving test should think twice.
Yes on gravel the wheels are locked and released within fraction of seconds.
This prevents further movement and stops well behind.
I am not saying one should panick.
I am saying ABS comes into play only when brakes are pressed hard to stop.
One should never lift the brake pedal when braking, ABS wont work at that time.

As you are an automotive engineer , Can you explain the difference between different channel ABS.
What is the latest technology in ABS in high end cars, used in current industry.

Last edited:

verna

Suspended

Were they wearing the seat belts?

An Airbag wont inflate till seatbelts are worn because it is the seatbelt that houses the Airbag Sensor.
Yes, seatbelts were worn...
But My doubt is their statement " itna jabardast impact thaa ki airbags bhi phat gaye !! " [;)]

I mean, how is that possible dude ?? didn't argue with him because he was 60+ years old and yes, also because his son had just met with an accident [:)]...
My question is that airbags are always inflated and then immediately get deflated within a fraction of a second !! How is it that " AIRBAGS PHAT GAYE " ?? [:D]

ESP means electronic stabilisation program, which will be helpful when the tyre looses traction, it comes into play.
Especially on slippery roads it brakes and releases intermittently.
So that the car will be in full control.

Yes on gravel the wheels are locked and released within fraction of seconds.
This prevents further movement and stops well behind.
I am not saying one should panick.
I am saying ABS comes into play only when brakes are pressed hard to stop.
One should never lift the brake pedal when braking, ABS wont work at that time.

As you are an automotive engineer , Can you explain the difference between different channel ABS.
What is the latest technology in ABS in high end cars, used in current industry.
ABS was developed by Telefunken for aircraft. The concept was sold on to Bosch for the automotive field.

Bosch developed the 4 channel system, which is the most efficient system. Other manufacturers came up with their own ideas and had to control it in different ways. Honda's early ALB was a joke as it was not controlling the wheels independently.

The one channel ABS is generally a truck rear wheel control system that has got 2 rear wheel sensor and brake line. The pulsing depends on the locking wheel.

The two channel rear ABS is different from the above. It has two brake lines acting independently from each other.

The two channel criss-cross ABS has got 4 sensors but only two brake lines where the front wheel on one side is pulsed with the rear wheel on the other side and vice versa.

The three channel system has 4 sensors and three brake lines, where the rear wheels are pulsed together and the front wheels independently. This is a very common system due to cost.

The four channel system is pulsed by 4 independent brake lines. This system is the best, but at the same time the most expensive.

Please note: In the context brake lines is not as in physical brake lines rather than brake line circuits, where each brake line is a set of brake lines but fed from one solenoid.

Other than this ABS systems have been improved over the years improving the pulse rate, which makes them more stabilising then earler versions and brake performance is superior.

ABS is a must for those who drives in greater speeds on highways.

But ABS is not a solution for accidents due to over speed especially on slippery/loose surface roads. ABS will not help you much in this case as the car moves more than a non ABS car.

Moreover roads in Kerala are made to stop and not to steer just because of the narrow nature of even mainstream roads.
So ABS in Kerala means 'Accidents Being Sure'.

How old is ABS buddy. People have been driving without ABS lifelong. ABS is very good if you are driving in rains as vehicles tend to skid on water while applying hard brakes.
If you have controlled driving and can maintain speeds below 40 KMPL, you may not require ABS.
You cannot do manual control of braking to attain ABS standard.
ABS is good. Afterall someone spent millions on research to develop it. Not only ABS but also Airbags, Seatbelts, Crumple Zones, Side Impact beams etc go a long way in making a car safe. Basically if the car is not well designed structurally, ABS and Airbags are more or less useless. A car with bad handling characteristics will always make the ABS work overtime. Having said all this, ...

even ABS can't replace common sense.

Ill try and summarize it. There is no risk involved with driving a non ABS car. None watsoever. Its not like u are driving without brakes. Driver skill is the first and foremost safety feature missing all over the world. And these kind of aids make those morons feel invincible. As Jalex explained, most of the people dont know how to brake properly. More so in bikes. If u brake proggresively, even in the worst of circumstances u can stop safely. In our part of world, engine braking is non-exixtent. Some ppl go to extent of switching off cars downhill, killing even his brake boosters. What the hell is ABS supposed to do here?? And most ppl brake using the reatr on two wheelwers. Who is the culprit here?

Sorry for the bad image quality, but the below picture explains one of the situations where ABS does more damage than saving anything. However there are a 100 other situations where ABS is a boon.

I would still vote for ABS [:)]

abs vs non-sbs.jpg

Top Bottom