The Namesake of Indian Cars

I Also remember people calling Qualis at its time of debut as COO-LIS lol! [lol]
A lot of people confused the Qualis to be "Tata" Qualis..
A colleague of mine recently introduced another friend to me, saying that I have purchased a Nissan "meek-ra"..
And of course, when I broke the news of my purchasing my TJet to my grand-mom ..she asked, which car is it ? I said a Fiat..So she asked "that Fiat ??? -implying the Padmini, to which I said no, its Fiat Linea..and promptly, she said, now what is this new "Minnea " ?? I just burst out laughing.
Of course, she was damn impressed when she actually saw it and experienced it.

Another idiotic friend of mine was telling me that Fond was an awesome car. Me:"What Fond?" Him:"That car, whose ad I keep seeing." "You mean Ford? [confused]" "No, it's Fond." "Whatever. What is it like?" "Like XUV." "Tell me if you see it." I gave him a ton of options.Even Ecosport. I was confused for some days after that. Again, the topic went like that. "It looks like Duster.". I instantly asked "Ecosport?" "Yeah!! Ecosport!!" I gave him a handful of bad names. The fool is still confused between XUV and SUV. [lol]

Name choosing pattern for cars in India

Hi folks,

Off late thinking of the indian car names and how they look. Most of the car companies models are naming the car names with more or less an italian form of name. All the names are ending with the letter "a" or "o" .

Some names which i can think of:
Tata Zica
Tata Indica
Fiat Linea
Hyundai Creta
Hyundai Verna
Maruti Ertiga
Maruti Vitara (older one)
Maruti Vitara Brezza

mahindra Verito
Fiat Punto
Tata Indigo
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra Quanto
Mahindra Bolero

I personally somehow felt this is a boring phenomenon, and its hightime to change. Do you guys think so too?

Why can't atleast cars made in India and sold in Indian market can't have a good sounding Indian name? What say?

Re: Name choosing pattern for cars in India

I agreed with you BoltFromTheBlue .
I also observed that for Mahindra, all vehicles names ends with letter "O"
1. Bolero
2. Scorpio
3. XUV5OO
4. TUV3OO
5. KUV1OO
6. Impero
7. Verito
8. E2O
and even for two wheelers also
9. Centuro
10. Panthero
11. Gusto
12. Rodeo.

Tata has started name hunt for Zica, Lets hope a new name will come out from this hunt.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

what according to you is a good indian sounding name for a car [lol] ?
force gurkha is apt for the end customer.

what according to you is a good indian sounding name for a car [lol] ?
force gurkha is apt for the end customer.
there are lots of good indian names if you think of. as of now we are just accustomed to all italiano names.

Look at how DRDO and ISRO are naming our defence missiles and satellites.

Are they not good? Infact they are much better than some names like a-star and vitara brezza.
What say?

Hi folks,

Off late thinking of the indian car names and how they look. Most of the car companies models are naming the car names with more or less an italian form of name. All the names are ending with the letter "a" or "o" .

Some names which i can think of:
Tata Zica
Tata Indica
Fiat Linea
Hyundai Creta
Hyundai Verna
Maruti Ertiga
Maruti Vitara (older one)
Maruti Vitara Brezza

mahindra Verito
Fiat Punto
Tata Indigo
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra Quanto
Mahindra Bolero

I personally somehow felt this is a boring phenomenon, and its hightime to change. Do you guys think so too?

Why can't atleast cars made in India and sold in Indian market can't have a good sounding Indian name? What say?
I agree, but they might lose buyers because of the name (Lots of different logic and prejudices might play their part. Also, I wouldn't like a car named after me :P)

As for Mahindra, I guess there is a kind of superstition.

Tata named the Indica because they wanted to emphasize that it is an INDIan CAr. (read this somewhere) No idea about Indigo though. Zica is, as most of us know, ZIppy CAr. (though I liked the name Kite more)

Fiat itself is an Italian company.

Hyundai Accent was a better name IMO, Creta as a name is pretty cheesy.

Maruti Baleno, Alto, Celerio, Hyundai Santro , Ford Figo (don't know why, but I really seem to like the name Focus), Ford Mondeo, VW Vento, Mitsubishi Pajero etc are also some of the contenders.

I read somewhere on Quora that the name is usually the last thing that is decided for a new car (though it might not be true).

I agree, but they might lose buyers because of the name (Lots of different logic and prejudices might play their part. Also, I wouldn't like a car named after me :P)
By Indian names, I did not mean the names of persons like Hari, Kishan, Ram, Laxmi, Madhu, etc. [lol]

I meant like Dhanush, Talwar, Akash, Pruthvi etc. there are lots like this, if they want to name. Just named a few.

Anyways I personally have sent 8-10 names for Tata Zica renaming hunt. Lets see what happens. [glasses]

By Indian names, I did not mean the names of persons like Hari, Kishan, Ram, Laxmi, Madhu, etc. [lol]

I meant like Dhanush, Talwar, Akash, Pruthvi etc. there are lots like this, if they want to name. Just named a few.

Anyways I personally have sent 8-10 names for Tata Zica renaming hunt. Lets see what happens. [glasses]
There is a boy (yes, boy) named Pruthvi in my class!
Also, there is our Akash1886 on TAI here itself [:)]

I really like the names like Vikrant (Indian aircraft carrier), Chandrayaan, Mangalyaan etc..

Another reason for the foreign names might be that cars came from the west originally. Me and my lame reasoning, lol.

There is a boy (yes, boy) named Pruthvi in my class!
Also, there is our Akash1886 on TAI here itself [:)]

I really like the names like Vikrant (Indian aircraft carrier), Chandrayaan, Mangalyaan etc..

Another reason for the foreign names might be that cars came from the west originally. Me and my lame reasoning, lol.
again shrid, you have taken the example names literally. I meant to search the sanskrit dictionary for vocabulary and find out good names...like they were doing with english names. or italian names.

Top Bottom