The KTM Duke 200 and I

Thank You Iron Rock, I was a little busy last week, Had some things to tend to back at home. Hope I did not keep you waiting for too long for the review.

Your words were the reason make a decision so fast. Never get that kind of support from friends usually. When they came to know about my plan, they just said things like, "Are you nuts?, 1 lakh plus for a bike???; Shell out some more, Ditch the Alto and get a bigger car." They will never understand what biking means to me as most of them have never even rode a bike and probably wont ever realize what it feels like to be bitten by the Biker bug. The baby Duke gives me more fun and takes me higher than a car that costs ten folds more. What more do I need? I'm Happy as can be.

The Duke is currently giving me around 35kmpl and about the fuel, I'm running on a cocktail of regular and 91 octane. Whenever I see 91 is available, I tank up to the brim, When its not I go for regular. I also came across somewhere that all Petrol is 91 octane now, Dont know how true that is. And I also have got a new helmet.
Ha Ha I know exactly what you mean, its impossible to connect with people who ignore the heart and listen only to the head, you can never convince them - but i think you have made the absolutely right decision - the biker in you will never regret - enjoy the many miles. Looks like you read my mind as well, i was suggesting a orange fiery helmet and there you go you already procured it..

On the fuel here is my observation :-

1) Shell Normal is 91 Octane with additives
2) BPCL Regular: 91 Octane.
3) BPCL Speed/HP Power/IOC Xtra Premium: 91 Octane + additives

BPCL pumps might be the best/safest bet for you.

Also, suggest you to get a puncture guard coating on the tyres. You do not want to get the delicate rear set up disturbed in case of a rear puncture.

hey, what exactly is puncture guard coating, how effective it is , where can I do it in Bangaloreand how much it cost. I believe it's for tubless tyre only.
Thanks in advance.

hey, what exactly is puncture guard coating, how effective it is , where can I do it in Bangaloreand how much it cost. I believe it's for tubless tyre only.
Thanks in advance.
Try out any Reliance AutoZone, it is promoting a brand called "Slime".
Its only for Tubeless AFAIK

Thanks Vamsuduk, I got the info from Reliance Autozone. They are quoting around rs1200 for it. They mentioned that a liquid will be filled inside the tire, the punctured holes will be filled by the liquid incase there are any.In case , there is a nail then as soon as nail is being removed the hole will be filled.

Thanks Vamsuduk, I got the info from Reliance Autozone. They are quoting around rs1200 for it. They mentioned that a liquid will be filled inside the tire, the punctured holes will be filled by the liquid incase there are any.In case , there is a nail then as soon as nail is being removed the hole will be filled.
You're welcomed, happy to be of help [:D]
BTW... also check how often u have to refill this.
My guess is that there's a specific number of times it works.

Thread Starter #37
Congrats for you new KTM DUKE jalex., Drive Safe!
Congrats Jalex... Its a beast!!

Amazing Review. Wish you clock many happy miles!!
Thankyou Rakesh and Sudeep[:)].

Ha Ha I know exactly what you mean, its impossible to connect with people who ignore the heart and listen only to the head, you can never convince them - but i think you have made the absolutely right decision - the biker in you will never regret - enjoy the many miles. Looks like you read my mind as well, i was suggesting a orange fiery helmet and there you go you already procured it..

On the fuel here is my observation :-

1) Shell Normal is 91 Octane with additives
2) BPCL Regular: 91 Octane.
3) BPCL Speed/HP Power/IOC Xtra Premium: 91 Octane + additives

BPCL pumps might be the best/safest bet for you.
You are right. And about the fuel, I must be safe, I've been filling BP regular when Premium 91 was unavailable. Never filled anything else ever, can't take any risks as the nearest and only ASC is 235Kms away.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #38
The Duke is ready to go for its 1st service and I'm taking it to Trivandrum tommorow. I'll be doing around 500Kms to and fro. I had called the KTM folks and should be getting the KTM Tank pads and Rim Stickers.

I have decided to buy two 1 litre cans of Motul 7100 4T 20W50 synthetic lubricant for the replacement oil instead of the DTSi Oil that Bajaj uses for its bikes. The baby Duke requires 1.4 litres of Engine Lubricant and guess I'll keep the remaining 600ml for next time.

I had asked them whether I could go for Motul 300V 4T Factory Line 15W50(Again Fully Synthetic), But the folks at KTM as well as the people at Motul told me that it will make the warranty to go void. I have no idea why they say that, cause as far as I know the 15W50 exceeds the 20W50 on all counts here. Well I'll ask them again tommorow and if they still say the same thing, I'll go for the 7100. It still will be better than going for the Bajaj DTSi 10000 20W50.

Regarding the puncture protection sealant, I tried calling Ride-On dealers with the contact numbers I got from their web page. But none of the phone numbers for my region in Kerala work. So I guess I'll have to hunt for someone else who does the same job later on.

I will be looking for a good replacement headlight bulb as well tommorow, Philips or Osram 60/55w(Same as O/E), have also ordered an LED bulb online to swap the park bulb

I'll be leaving at 5.15 A.M tommorow. It probably will be raining all the way, So the ride might be pretty hard, I also have to take into account the motorists who will be sleeping behind the wheel while driving in the early hours of the day, so I would have to be extra cautious.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39
I got the Duke's 1st service done last saturday. I left at 5:15 A.M and reached the ASC at 9:45 A.M. My luck, It did not rain much as expected on the way. On reaching the ASC, I meet the Works Manager and he parked the bike inside the ASC.

ASC Scam

As soon as I handed over the bike, The Works Manager started pestering me to go for "Tufflon"(That would be 'Teflon' for you and I) coating on the bike. The bike had dirt and grime due too the drizzle on the way, Next up he rubs the front mudguard along with the dirt using his finger and said, ''Sir, these kind of scratches wont be there if you go for 'Tufflon' coating." I saw that there was a two inch scratch on the front mudguard now and I got real pissed off. It wasn't major though, Could be wiped off with some wax polish. But still what the hell?

After his pestering me even more I tell him okay. He tells me that the cost is 300Rs for the "Tufflon", I asked, "Teflon coating for 300Rs??" He says its a new type and is rubbed onto the bike and will last a year, I figure that he will be using some wax polish and tell its Teflon. A scam of sorts for unsuspecting owners. As soon as I agree he's mighty pleased and leaves me alone.

Oil Upgrade

I then asked them whether I could get Motul 300V 15w50 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for the bike. They said that the recommened grade is 20w50 and that its better to stick to that. I tell them that 15w50 only exceeds the reccomendation and that it wont harm the engine in any way, I also said if they had any problem with warranty, then I'll get Motul 7100 20w50 (again synthetic). They tell me its okay and that some owners had even used 0w50 in their bikes. Happy that they obliged, I go out and get two 1 litre cans of 300V and give it to them.

Things that shocked me while at the ASC

There was no customer lounge, The one that looked like it was the one, was converted into a spare parts godown. And there was not even a good chair to sit on, I tried sitting on one that was broken and almost fell off. There was no fan and the works bay was kept dirty and oily. So much for a Probiking ASC, I mean my local mechanic has a better setup than this.

There was no decent rest room, The only one that was available was a common one shared by the mechanics, a wash basin was also set in the open and there was no soap to freshen up after a long haul. I've already messaged KTM India about this and maybe this might just be a one off case.

Next, I ask them for a place to keep my helmet as I needed to go out for lunch, The works manager tells me that I would have to leave it at my own risk as someone had lost theirs a while back and that they will not be responsible for anything if it gets stolen. Thats usre is great assurance for me to leave it there, Especially when I just bought a new lid that cost me in excess of Rs 4000. Seeing that I was unhappy, The Spares in Charge tells me, "Give it to me Sir, I'll take care of it." So now I know who to seek for assistance at the ASC.

Being a biker for almost two decades now, I have visited two wheeler ASC's of Yamaha, TVS and Honda among others in different States and places over the years. Never before have I come across such a sorry ASC with the least regard for customer comfort and amenities.

An interesting thing to note here is that all this is in sharp contrast of the Showroom which has things from automatic sliding glass doors, Central Air conditioning and other 5 star comforts. The ASC is located some 2Kms away from the showroom. If you look at the Showroom and ASC back to back, You'll feel that they dont want to have any relations with you after they sell you the bike[confused]

Regarding the KTM Power Parts I had asked for

I had asked for some KTM Power Parts, viz. the Hand protectors, the Rim Stickers and the Tank Pads at the time of booking the bike. At delivery they tell me that the person who fixes those things on to the bike was on leave that day and that I can have it done at 1st service. This time also I ask them for it, But the ASC people tell me that its all out of stock and that they also dont stick the rim stickers on to the bike as they had lost a set after trying to get it done a week back. They tell me that they'll get it soon and that I can call to check in a week or so. So for the time being no Power parts for me.

The First Service

The First service was over by 2:30 P.M. The wash was not so good. There was left over areas here and there. The radiator fins were also not cleaned properly. They had sprayed Diesel on all matt finish plastic parts.As far as I know, Diesel will ruin the plastics and on reaching home I had to spend in excess of three hours to wash it all off, The Diesel spray had attracted a lot of dirt and grime and it was a real pain to get it all off. My hands were all sore after the wash.

At service, I had got a replacement bulb, A 60/555w Philips X-treme Vision. Just to see whether I can further improve the lighting. I asked the mechanic to change it. He swapped it with the O/E one. I also asked him to show me how to get about it so that I could change it myself if I find that the beam is not good enough. Riding back home I find out that its not that great. It seemed to annoy other motorists even with the beam on low as it had a longish pencil beam with little spread. I changed back to the O/E one the very next day I got home. What to say Rs494/-(Cost of the bulb) down the drain.

First Impressions after service and break-in

After service and going in for Motul 300V, The bike sounds more refined and feels more smooth. I think the revs build up a wee bit faster too. The Oil is green in colour and someone asked me whether its coolant that is used in the crank case[lol].

I hit the limiter a few times and tell you what, its real aggressive and feels like you are on a mad two stroke[evil]. The adrenalin rush you get when the revs build up is simply addictive. The exhaust also sounds great at revs in my opinion.

P.S: Just got a message from KTM India that they will open a new Sales and Service at Cochin soon.

Well thats all for the moment, will continue when there's more.

Attachments

Last edited:
@Jalex:
Looks like the Duke is keeping her owner quite happy.

About ASC thing,nothing new it is,its same nearly everywhere.

Rest,I want some new pics of the bike on the road.And yes,s it only me or anyone else too who is feeling the front number plate positioned wrong?
Why don't you get it removed and let the Duke look more fierce,instead you can get a white sticker with number stuck on it on the front mud guard like on various superbikes.

The same happened with me too Jalex during my 2nd free service for Activa, he clearly listened to all my queries once I said yes to Teflon coating.

I asked whether its from Dupoint, he said some other name.

In the end they gave a card for Free 2 free checkups during the subsequent touch ups.

Good to see that you are munching miles with Duke, but it's sad to see Duke standing near to Pulsar in a cramped area, where the owner and ride need some good lounge and grease free service bay.

How are you managing with premium Petrol for your KTM.

Good to see that you are munching miles with Duke, but it's sad to see Duke standing near to Pulsar in a cramped area, where the owner and ride need some good lounge and grease free service bay.
Eh,you just hurted a Pulsar 220 owner..[lol]

Its very simple:-
Search for the bunk,enter it then ask the attendant to fill the tank and hand over him cash..
You should try it,its really easy..:lol!:

Eh,you just hurted a Pulsar 220 owner..[lol]

Its very simple:-
Search for the bunk,enter it then ask the attendant to fill the tank and hand over him cash..
You should try it,its really easy..:lol!:
Lol , what I meant was at least some breathing space, instead of parking it so closely.

There is non availability of Premium petrol near Jalex' s town, so I was speaking on the context of backward compatibility with normal Petrol.

And the behavior of bike in this regard.

Thread Starter #44
@Jalex:
Looks like the Duke is keeping her owner quite happy.

About ASC thing,nothing new it is,its same nearly everywhere.

Rest,I want some new pics of the bike on the road.And yes,s it only me or anyone else too who is feeling the front number plate positioned wrong?
Why don't you get it removed and let the Duke look more fierce,instead you can get a white sticker with number stuck on it on the front mud guard like on various superbikes.
The Duke is keeping me happy alright, No problems till now, Except that I'm getting too much attention everywhere than I need. Kids on other bikes want to race me, No matter what I try to decline. People ask too many questions and literally hold you up when you park it somewhere. I think I should print a review along with pictures and details and carry some 100 Copies with me for giving it out to people who ask questions.[lol]

I took it to the Court Complex here last week and I had to remain near the bike without leaving its side cause a crowd soon gathered around the bike. People starting from fellow lawyers, cops, court staff and accused surrounded me and the bike. I became too afraid to leave the bike unattended. What if someone hops on it and by mistake tips it over? It would be a rented pick up and 235Kms to the ASC for me and the bike if something breaks.

As I expected, many people hopped on the bike and some asked me for a test ride. I politely refused and had to leave the area without even going to court that day. That too, after standing there for over an hour, Hoping people would leave once I answer their questions. What happened was that more people just came after a few left and it could go on for ever. There's an Engineering College and a Polytechnic nearby. If one of them students hear that the bike is there, I would have had real trouble getting away from there. Its crazy.

And new pics, I'll try and get some along with videos this weekend if the weather is good.

Regarding the front number plate, Thats the second thing I hate about the bike(The first one's the pip squeaky horn, My daughter's rubber duck sounds better.) I would love to have it off and get the number done on the front mudguard, But I dont want to give reason for the cops to get at me. So it has to remain there as it is.

The same happened with me too Jalex during my 2nd free service for Activa, he clearly listened to all my queries once I said yes to Teflon coating.

I asked whether its from Dupoint, he said some other name.

In the end they gave a card for Free 2 free checkups during the subsequent touch ups.

The one this guy sold me on was called 'TUFFLON' as was mentioned in the bill and it came in a shoddy plastic dubba[lol] Its nothing but some cheap wax polish made by some local person. If it was Teflon by Dupont for real, There's no way he could have done the job by charging a mere 300 Rupees.

Another thing is that KTM has sent me a message mentioning that a new Sales & Service outlet is coming up soon in Cochin. If that happens then it will just be 75Kms to the ASC and I can breathe a huge sigh of relief. And I hope that they will make the place customer friendly as its in Cochin, Kerala's commercial hub.

Regarding the 91 octane fuel. I tanked up with IOC Premium from Kottayam which is 75Kms from where I stay on my way back home from service and Iron Rock and some one else had told me that BP's Regular Petrol is also 91 Octane now. So when I go low or when Speed or Premium is unavailable, I fill BP regular. Last time I went to Cochin, I had carried a 20Litre Jar with me in the car to get Premium or Speed, But I could not source it all the way from Cochin till home.[confused] Guess after the recent petrol price hike, People here dont care for Premium or Speed and they just want to run their vehilces somehow without burning their pockets.

Last edited:
The Duke is keeping me happy alright, No problems till now, Except that I'm getting too much attention everywhere than I need. Kids on other bikes want to race me, No matter what I try to decline. People ask too many questions and literally hold you up when you park it somewhere. I think I should print a review along with pictures and details and carry some 100 Copies with me for giving it out to people who ask questions.[lol]

I took it to the Court Complex here last week and I had to remain near the bike without leaving its side cause a crowd soon gathered around the bike. People starting from fellow lawyers, cops, court staff and accused surrounded me and the bike. I became too afraid to leave the bike unattended. What if someone hops on it and by mistake tips it over? It would be a rented pick up and 235Kms to the ASC for me and the bike if something breaks.

As I expected, many people hopped on the bike and some asked me for a test ride. I politely refused and had to leave the area without even going to court that day. That too, after standing there for over an hour, Hoping people would leave once I answer their questions. What happened was that more people just came after a few left and it could go on for ever. There's an Engineering College and a Polytechnic nearby. If one of them students hear that the bike is there, I would have had real trouble getting away from there. Its crazy.
Eh,you are in a serious trouble buddy.
If you don't mind,then let m ask this question:"Aren't there any premium cars or bikes at your place"?
Why I asked such a question?
Come here to NCR and you will notice that people don't bother to give even a second look to even Harleys and a liter class bike as their are a lot of them as well as all are busy in their own works.But yes,if you are driving anything like a Ferrari,Porsche or Lambo,then you can be in a trouble at red lights.

And new pics, I'll try and get some along with videos this weekend if the weather is good.
Just one clear pic of complete bike,none else.

Regarding the front number plate, Thats the second thing I hate about the bike(The first one's the pip squeaky horn, My daughter's rubber duck sounds better.) I would love to have it off and get the number done on the front mudguard, But I dont want to give reason for the cops to get at me. So it has to remain there as it is.
Buddy,as we say in Hindi "Jyada bade kanoon baaz nahi bante(Don't be a very big law follower)".Most of the big bikes,even Yamaha R15s etc here in NCR have no number plates on front,instead all of them have the numbers stuck on front mud guards on white sheet.
And if cops stop them then they have a simple reason "There is no place to put number plate".And hence cops let them go.
And secondly no cop is going to stop your bike as its a BIG bike there and if they do this mistake of stopping the bike then ask them where to put the plate?

Top Bottom