The KTM Duke 200 and I

Hello Jalex,
I have read all your post regarding KTM Duke 200.Its because of you i have came to know about various problems,points,etc to keep in mind (apart from Service manual ).
I have a problem-how to set shift speed RPM 2 on duke,as acc. to service manual i followed the instructions but its not helping.Its showing RPM 1 only,as instruction to set both RPM 1 & RPM 2 are same?
Also is noise coming from front wheel disc is normal when you try to move bike?
Another thing when riding duke without hand gloves,after some times my hands are stressed-out.On many blogs i read about this problem is due to handlebar grip,they are too *uncomfortable.So can it be solved by putting after-market handle-bar grip covers?

Thank you in advance.

Posting prices of some spares:

Duke 200 parts
Front fender : Rs 613
Handle bar : Rs 765
KTM Fuel tank : Rs 1611
KTM fuel tank cover : Rs 1020
Swingarm : Rs 6375
Mirror : Rs 225
Radiator assembly : Rs 4359
Radiator fan : Rs 1339
Radiator protector right side : Rs 72
Radiator protector left side : Rs 72
Lever front brake : Rs 109
Lever and Sup holder assembly : Rs 288
Lever break : Rs 234
Number plate front : Rs 22
Grip assembly RH : Rs 151
Leg assembly right side : Rs 8350
Leg assembly left side : Rs 8871
Single Indicator: Rs 560
Set of 4 indicators : Rs 1800
Holder Step RH (Right Foot Peg) : RS 132
Assembly Main Step (whole Bracket) : Rs 534
Fairing under cover (head Light Mask bracket) : Rs 194
Coolant Solvent top-up only : Rs 35
Digital Meter : Rs 6000
Dashboard : Rs 101
Right Foot lever Brake (Rh foot lever) :Rs 209
Oil filter: RS 65
Fuel filter: Rs 85
Air filter: Rs238
Leg Guard Rh (right Leg Guard) : Rs 120 (Pair Rs 240)

KTM Powerparts and power wear:
KTM Tank pad : Rs 1450
KTM front crash pad : Rs 2180
KTM rim sticker : Rs 1270
KTM tank-cap sticker : Rs 1820
KTM Vented Jacket : Rs 14890
KTM radical gloves large : Rs 5270

(source: Facebook forum of India KTM Duke 200 Owners Group)

Nice to see your bike giving you so much pleasure. Nice DIY on the tyre hugger too. Did you try out any others mods. Some people have put the bar ends from the Yamaha FZ. Also some people have put the small visor on of the FZ fairing. They seem to go quite well with the Duke and are cheap too.

Thread Starter #260
Nice to see your bike giving you so much pleasure. Nice DIY on the tyre hugger too. Did you try out any others mods. Some people have put the bar ends from the Yamaha FZ. Also some people have put the small visor on of the FZ fairing. They seem to go quite well with the Duke and are cheap too.
Thank you. Bike is great. But these days service is starting to be less than perfect.

I have got the hand guards of the 390 along with bar end weights in place. Had to do some modifications on the stock handle bar as they do not have any provision to screw in the bar ends. I also have the FZ visor on my bike. Its the cheaper option of the lot and looks kind of okay on the bike I guess.
Attaching couple of pics of my bike. That's how it is now.

Attachments

Thread Starter #263
@Mr. Jalex
The visor you have put in belongs to Yamaha SZ and not FZ. FZ's is very smaller and shorter than this.
Sorry, it was my mistake and you are right.

Awwww My Lord, why the bar end weights, the grips look much cooler sans the weights. And pray why the knuckle guards too?
The bar end weights reduce vibrations on the handle bar at high speeds. The hand guards are for protection in city traffic. Sometimes when stopped and waiting for traffic to start moving in one's lane, cars coming opposite willl be passing too close. The hand guards will prevent a direct bad knock on the knuckles if a wing mirror hits by chance.

jalex said:
The bar end weights reduce vibrations on the handle bar at high speeds. The hand guards are for protection in city traffic. Sometimes when stopped and waiting for traffic to start moving in one's lane, cars coming opposite willl be passing too close. The hand guards will prevent a direct bad knock on the knuckles if a wing mirror hits by chance.
I read at some review that the Duke(s) are vibe-free and are stable at high speeds.

Good idea! BTW, did you experience any sweat on your knuckles and between your fingers?[evil]
I said my friend who has a D200 and asked him to put this guard and he came out with the above reason[frustration].

Hello All,
I have read the entire forum and gone through many other blogs for Duke 200. But I am still unsure whether to put my money on it or not. I will be buying the 2015 model.

A little about me - I have previously ridden the Honda Unicorn 1st gen and the Hero Hunk. My longest ride has been 750 KM in 48 hrs on the Hunk. I am a novice biker recently bitten by the Biking bug. And I would like to spend my money on a bike that would give me city maneuverability and occasional long rides comfort as well.

I took a small test ride at the showroom and fell in love with the way the Duke roars along with the build quality.

It would be great if you guys could clear a few doubts for me -
1) I know it is a performance bike but I would still like to know the latest figures on mileage, especially in city.
2) I have heard a lot about the stiffness of the seat. Will it be comfortable for 300 KM in a day rides?
3) The engine seems to emit a lot of heat. So will it be comfortable for daily commuting?
4) My target is to eventually go on long rides. But KTM does not have many service centres in India. Also, I have come across a number of negative feedbacks regarding the servicing and spare part availability. Any comments on this? And will this affect a novice biker like me, especially on long tours?

Sir
I am 2014 duke owner. I wanna make my duke taller geared.Previous model duke can easily sprocketed by using p220 sprockets.Because of the 4 mounted sprocket hub.
My Duke is with 6 mounted hub.Is it possible to make my duke 4 mounted without rim change?
I am looking for a relaxed ride and interested in long rides.
Thanks in advance..

Mr. NitishG,
If you try to ride 300 kms in 24 hrs ON A DUKE OR ANY KTM, you wont feel your butt anymore, your wrists will die on you, and your back will cry

Hello All,
I have read the entire forum and gone through many other blogs for Duke 200. But I am still unsure whether to put my money on it or not. I will be buying the 2015 model.

A little about me - I have previously ridden the Honda Unicorn 1st gen and the Hero Hunk. My longest ride has been 750 KM in 48 hrs on the Hunk. I am a novice biker recently bitten by the Biking bug. And I would like to spend my money on a bike that would give me city maneuverability and occasional long rides comfort as well.

I took a small test ride at the showroom and fell in love with the way the Duke roars along with the build quality.

It would be great if you guys could clear a few doubts for me -
1) I know it is a performance bike but I would still like to know the latest figures on mileage, especially in city.
2) I have heard a lot about the stiffness of the seat. Will it be comfortable for 300 KM in a day rides?
3) The engine seems to emit a lot of heat. So will it be comfortable for daily commuting?
4) My target is to eventually go on long rides. But KTM does not have many service centres in India. Also, I have come across a number of negative feedbacks regarding the servicing and spare part availability. Any comments on this? And will this affect a novice biker like me, especially on long tours?
Hello Nitish ,

I own a duke 200 and have done many non stop 150 km trips and felt no problems whatsoever. In fact I prefer the firm seat for long drive as it doesn't deform or change shape much and you can just keep going with the correct riding position. You should easily be able to do 300 km trips in the Duke with a stop or two for tea or something.

That being said the most fun you can have is in urban traffic than during touring with the Duke. Also in my opinion the Duke 200 is a little less value for money if you compare it with the Duke 390. With about 60k more you get ABS , slipper clutch , awesome Metzeler rubber and bike with a lot more capabilities. If money is not an objective go for the 390. If you want something in the 1.5 lakh segment also consider the mojo 300 which will offer better touring capabilities and comfort.

Top Bottom