The Game Changing Cars of Indian Auto Industry

The one in your avatar too is a big game changer bro[;)]
Thank you for reminding.
Its a game changer. Its sales numbers and the waiting period proclaims the same.[:)] If my knowledge is right, Swift is a car that had almost the same waiting period since its launch in 2005 and the same continues(waiting period) at a more increased rate even now.

When we say "Game changing cars", that do not actually mean cars selling in large numbers or cars with some special features.

Its not mathematics but about industry and management.

Game changing cars of Indian Auto Industry are:

M800 - Started Car revolution in India and generated brand loyality

Indica - creation of the practical diesel segment.

Sumo - created a new segment and a mini revolution in MUV catagory in India.

Scorpio and Innova - For various reasons

Swift - Created the premium hatch back segment and took brand loyality to a very high level

Fortuner - Created an aspirational purchase segment in a mini mass scale.

Nano - Took Indian auto industry to the world stage (not only automobile but the industry in general took notice about Indian Engineering)

Last edited:
When we say "Game changing cars", that do not actually mean cars selling in large numbers or cars with some special features.

Its not mathematics but about industry and management.

Game changing cars of Indian Auto Industry are:

M800 - Started Car revolution in India and generated brand loyality

Indica - creation of the practical diesel segment.

Sumo - created a new segment and a mini revolution in MUV catagory in India.

Scorpio and Innova - For various reasons

Swift - Created the premium hatch back segment and took brand loyality to a very high level

Fortuner - Created an aspirational purchase segment in a mini mass scale.

Nano - Took Indian auto industry to the world stage (not only automobile but the industry in general took notice about Indian Engineering)
Autosafari, you say that game changing cars may not be just cars that are selling in large volumes which I agree with you to a certain extend. But majority of the cars that you have listed are all game changers who proved their mettle through their constant sales numbers and extra long waiting periods.[:)]

According to Me :

1. Ambassador:- it started the trend of cars in India. No list can do without this car.
2. Maruti 800 :- the history maker, the car which lured the Indians into buying the tiny little tin can.
3. Maruti Van :- well, it still has no competition. Versa and Eeco failed to do what the two decade old van still does.
4. Hyundai Santro:- this has to be THE CAR which completely changed the game. The launch of Santro in 1998-99 was an epoch making step for Indian automotive industry. The Tall Boy single handedly toppled the maruti juggernaut in its hay days. Still one of the most convenient car. The car which led to innovation in the industry.
5. Hyundai Getz:- created a new segment in the Indian car market which in the future, the likes of swift and i20 have mastered.
6. Hyundai Verna:- The BHP car. The rocket on roads.
7. Hyundai i20:- THE PREMIUM HATCHBACK with truckloads of features and comforts putting even 20-30 lakhs segment to shame. This car has made the competition sit up and notice what a feature laden hatchback can do to the segment it belongs to. Jazz, Punto, Polo and Fabia, nothing comes close to the volumes this car is doing, in the course even surprising its manufacturers by surpassing their own goal by a titanic margin.
8. Tata Safari:- You bet it. The first SUV of India.
9. Toyota Qualis:- Created a new segment, MUV. An Epic success.
10. Mahindra Bolero :- still doing amazing numbers, this UV also created a segment in the India car market.

My list of game changers:

1. Premier Padmini : For the decent looks & giving tough time to Ambassador.
2. M800: Small car revolution.
3. Hyundai Santro: Tall-boy design, first car for many Indians in it's times.
4. Tata Safari: First Indian SUV.
5. Maruti Swift: Sporty premium hatchback
6. Tata Indica: Most VFM spacious hatchback. The diesel hatchback.
7. Tata Nano: Most affordable.
8. Mahindra Scorpio: Muscular, sporty SUV giving tough competition to Safari.
9. Old Honda City: Premium sedan aspired by many.
10. Toyota Qualis: Good UV.
11. Maruti Ertiga: Premium VFM MUV.
12. Premier Rio: First compact SUV, although could not sell much, but introduced new segment on which others will be cashing now.

Apart from cars, few commercial vehicles which were game changers are the Tempo Matador, Tempo Traveller, Tata 407 mini truck, Maruti Omni.

M&M Jeep - True work horse
Maruti 800 - First compact hatchback
Tata Sierra - I m loving it...[:)]
Tata Safari - True Indian Blooded SUV & Sofa on wheels
Tata Indica - Segment shaker
M&M Bolero - Unchallenged Leader MUV
Maruti Swift - Saga of Sporty hatches
Toyota Innova - Business class travel comfort
Tata Nano - An Engineered Gem
M&M XUV5OO - Cheetah with Gizmos

In commercial vehicles: Tata 407 & Tata Ace, both are legends.

Only selling in Huge numbers or Extra long waiting period doesn't tell you revolution. Its inherent technology which is stepping stone for future vehicles.

Oh !! I missed this wonderful thread which makes us remember the revolutions in Indian Auto Industry. My list goes like this

Premier Padmini : Took away people from Ambi
M800 : Tool away people from Ambi and Padmini
Indica : Took away people from petrol to diesel
Sumo : Took away people from Mahindra Jeep
Qualis : Took away people from Sumo
Scorpio : Re-birth for Mahindra
Sierra : I think it was the first UV with Auto transmission(correct me if I am wrong), it was the first stylish SUV in Indian market
Indigo CS : First affordable diesel sedan
Swift : Took away people from Indica V2 and made people to feel the premium hatch back
Innova : Lot of reasons
XUV : Made people to really think of SUV's in present day

Maruti Ertiga should be called a real game-changer, see how it took the numbers off Innova in less than a year,really amazing.

I would agree with Vishwas and was going to write that as well, Maruti did it again with its new so called LUV utility vehicle Ertiga, prefect blend for the market and indian families, petrol and diesel variants.
Maruti did it with M800 days, then with their WagonR, then with their Swift with and without boot in diesel engines DDiS and now with Ertiga.
Mahindra did it with Scorpio which changed their branding from jeeps only with scorpio.
Toyota did that with Qualis first and then with Innova.
Tata did it with indica affordable diesel hatchback below 4L price and the most spacious of all.
Mahindra did it again with its Xuv, world suv from their stable at half the price of fortuner.
If we can include commercial ones would like to add tata ace which changed the whole scenario of commercial vehicles in urban and rural indian market which still rules and forced every other player to come up with such pickup vehicles and still tata rules here.

Which facelift/ new cars have been the game changers in 2015

Hi guyz, 2015 year has already seen plenty of facelifts and new car launches in automotive industry. Poll in your choice which you think will be trend setting in its class and will make a major turnaround for their prospective OEM'S.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Which facelift/ new cars have been the game changers in 2015

New Cars

1) TATA Zest

2) Maruti Ciaz

3) New C-Class Diesel by Benz

Face-lift

1) Hyundai Verna is a good competitor.

Regards

Akash

Game changing cars. Let me list down with respect to auto cos.

Renault: Duster
Ford: Ecosport
Honda: Idtec engine is the game changer for Honda, this Engine has single handedly changed fortunes
Toyota: Fortuner is a game change in D2 segment selling 1500 copies M-O-M
TATA: Indica
Mahindra: Bolero for the mass market and XUV 500 for the premium segment
Hyndai: Santro
Maruti: The ever green M800, which revolutionised the Indian Auto Industry.

The above is my opinion.

Top Bottom