The Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium – Built Tough

Thread Starter #196
Made 2 trips of close to 2300 Kms each in a month. While one was a family roadtrip to Rajasthan (covering Pushkar, Jodhpur, Mount Abu, Udaipur and Jaipur), the other was to meet fellow Endeavour owners from Pan India at Bandhavgarh (M.P.). Sharing a few pictures from the trips.

Umaid Bavan Palace Jodhpur
Endeavour RJ Trip 1.JPG

Army Storme towering over the Fortuner and Endeavour
Endeavour RJ Trip 2.jpg

Parking it too close to the planter due to limited space
Endeavour RJ Trip 4.jpg

City Palace Udaipur
Endeavour RJ Trip 5.jpg

The final trip stats which included close to 3 hours of idling
Endeavour RJ Trip 7.jpg

The entire collection of Endeavours at Bandhavgarh
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 1.jpg

Lining-up for photoshoot
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 3.jpg

The convoy going on trail
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 4.jpg

Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 4a.jpg

Getting the mud
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 5.jpg

The highlight was an owner's RC F-150
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 6.jpg

Final Trip stats
Endeavour Trip Bandhavgarh 10.jpg

A few videos from the trip

Post the trips, cleaned the air filter and found that the remains of bugs encountered on highway which would have entered via the Snorkel
Endeavour Airfilter Dust Post Snorkel.jpg

Looks damn enjoyable!
It's looking even beter with the snorkel and the new grill Sir.. And the stripes add to a more sportier look!
Have many lakhs of happy and safe miles ahead ..

Fitting the Rat mesh (Part 1/2 - answering the tough question)

There have been numerous instances of Rat damaging the vehicle. Interiors are a special target as on long journeys most of us have a quick bite in the car leaving the smell of food behind if not the food leftover particles itself. I also had an unanswered question - whether the fresh air vent is closed or open when the blower is off. In a pursuit to get the answer to this question, ended-up installing the mesh as well.

First the answer to the question - with blower turned off and ignition off, the vent is neither fully open nor fully closed. This position of the vent could be a potential access for any Rat or even dust when the vehicle is parked. The cabin air filter can save the day but once a Rat is inside, it's game over.

Picture showing the Vent at around 50% position with Blower Off, Ignition Off
View attachment 242540

Picture showing the Vent at fully closed position with Blower Off, Ignition Off, Vent manually switched to internal re-circulation mode
View attachment 242541

Picture showing the Vent at fully open position with Blower Off, Ignition Off, Vent manually switched to fresh air mode
View attachment 242542

Video showing the vent in action

With the question answered and the assembly already open, it was time for the DIY fitting of Rat mesh.
Hi

This morning I was shocked to see a rat sitting in the glove box. By the time I could reach it went inside and was unable to trace it. Took my car to Chennai ford they want to keep the car and remove dash board to trace the rat. Shockingly Ford says that there are many ways a rat can get into the car. Completely frustrated

Thread Starter #200
This morning I was shocked to see a rat sitting in the glove box. By the time I could reach it went inside and was unable to trace it. Took my car to Chennai ford they want to keep the car and remove dash board to trace the rat. Shockingly Ford says that there are many ways a rat can get into the car. Completely frustrated
Sad to hear that but I would surely like to learn the other entry point(s) for the rat.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Double sided 3M tape was also used on the flat edges of the mesh to stick it to the vent panel.
Run a thin bead of silicon over and above the edges of mesh where you have the 3m tape. And flatten the bead to the sides to it holds onto the sheet metal.
I don't trust 3M tape in such hidden & long term location.

Thread Starter #202
Run a thin bead of silicon over and above the edges of mesh where you have the 3m tape. And flatten the bead to the sides to it holds onto the sheet metal.
I don't trust 3M tape in such hidden & long term location.
Thanks for the tip. While the mesh itself is snug fit with 3M tape being additional, would surely open it someday to put some silicon sealant.

Fitting the Rat mesh (Part 2/ 2 - DIY install)

With the question answered and mesh available, there was no point in closing the panels without putting the mesh in place.

The DIY took close to an hour as I wanted to plug the 2 vents directly in front of the fresh air duct and not the 3 cut-outs in the panel of the cavity in front of it. This was done to avoid any surprises as there could have been 3 more openings below the drive side cover or more importantly, if the cavity area between the actual 2 vents (which I covred with mesh) and the outer cut outs had any opening, the whole exercise would become pointless. Due to the limited access available to the 2 vents behind and through the 3 cut outs in front of them, the measurements were crude and the mesh was made with trial & error correction method which took time.

Step 1: Removing the locks for front passenger side cowl cover. After opening the bonnet, to access the vents for meshing, the passenger side cowl cover for the wiper assembly needs to be removed. There are 5 locks which in the absence of the special tool can be opened with a small flat tip screwdriver. The center part needs to be popped-up with the screwdriver and then the entire lock can be pulled.

Locks to be opened
View attachment 242558
View attachment 242559

Step 2: Removing the bonnet hinge cover. The small cover on near the bonnet hinge between the windshield and fender needs to be removed. Lifting it from near the far end from fender will allow it to come out.

Bonnet hinge cover removed
View attachment 242560

Step 3: Removing the cowling cover. From the fender side, the cover needs to be gently pulled upwards from near the edge of the windshield to open it up. The locks are along the windshield.

Passenger side cowl cover removed showing vents to be meshed
View attachment 242561

Step 4: Meshing the vents. There would be 3 rectangular cut outs visible behind which there would be 2 vents. The latter need to be meshed. The size of each of the vent opening is approx. 135mm x 80mm. The mesh needs to be a bit larger in size so that the edges can be bent. This would enable the mesh to fit on the collar of the vents. Double sided 3M tape was also used on the flat edges of the mesh to stick it to the vent panel.

Close-up of Mesh...
View attachment 242563

... which needs to be installed with limited access through the front cut outs
View attachment 242562

One done, one to go
View attachment 242564

Close-up of the mesh stuck on the collar of the vent and pasted using 3M double sided tape
View attachment 242566

Meshing done
View attachment 242565

Step 5: Putting it all back. Following steps 1 to 3 in reverse order, the task would be completed.

Disclaimer: No liabilities or responsibilities whatsoever assumed.
Brilliant advise. I am also getting it done. Just got the sheets cut. Would fix them once the rat is out of the car. Is this the only way the rat can get inside the passanger compartment ?

Thread Starter #204
Is this the only way the rat can get inside the passanger compartment ?
As per my info, this is the only possible way inside the cabin apart from the obvious doors and windows. The problem in the Endeavour is compounded by the unique resting position of the fresh air duct. Otherwise with the vent fully closed in re-circulation mode, the first line of defense would have been the cabin air filter.

Thread Starter #205
Tyre replacement again – getting stinged by Pirelli’s Scorpion:

Over the course of close to 45K Kms with the Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8, these tyres were developing a wear pattern resembling close to that of overinflated tyres. The shoulders had a tread depth close to 8mm while the center of the tread had a shade above 5mm of tread. The main culprit here was rim width – 8.5J was simply not wide enough for the 285/60R18 tyre. This resulted in the tread on the edges being always sort of pulled-in leading this unusual wear pattern. Rim with 10J width would have been ideal solution.

Wear after 45K Kms resembling that of overinflated tyres
Endeavour_Scorpion_1.jpg

While this issue was already under observation, the punctures had really become a menace until a fateful night all hell break loose. While driving at 1 am, I could see on the TPMS that the Front Left tyre was loosing air. Found a repair shop at a petrol pump and despite repair, the leak started again after a few kms. Since the spare was smaller size (265/60R18), using it was out of question. Only solution was pumping air every 20-25 kms (by when the pressure dropped from 40Psi to 24 Psi) for the next 90 Kms of the journey. Later that day it was found that tread itself had developed a bulge which most likely indicated to failed / broken steel ropes internally.

Bulge in Tread at the outer edge
Endeavour_Scorpion_2.jpg

It was evident that this tyre would need to be changed but with the harrowing experience of not being able to use the spare, it was clear stock size was the best solution. Also in favor of the stock size was the overinflated look alike tread wear. Since the tyres in stock size were needed like yesterday, there were only a few options – Falken Wildpeak, Yokohama Geolander G015 and Pirelli Scorpion ATR. Selected the Pirelli since I had no previous experience with Falken and a fellow Endeavour owner was facing issues in his Geolander. Had used the Scorpion ATR for quite some kms on the Pajero Sport before selling it off on the same tyres. During their stint, never faced any issues with them.

Multiple plugs were used to stop the leak before finally making it to the Pirelli Center in Delhi
Endeavour_Scorpion_3.jpg

Look from the inside
Endeavour_Scorpion_4.jpg

Getting stinged by Pirelli’s Scorpion
Endeavour_Scorpion_5.jpg

Tyres removed and ready to be changed – the difference in width evident
Endeavour_Scorpion_6.jpg

First one done
Endeavour_Scorpion_7.jpg

And the other side comes on it’s tyres as well
Endeavour_Scorpion_8.jpg

Tread pattern
Endeavour_Scorpion_9.jpg

Claimed treadwear rating
Endeavour_Scorpion_10.jpg

Before leaving the tyre store, correcting the tyre size back to stock using FORScan
Endeavour_Scorpion_11.jpg

The initial observations with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR are good with lesser road noise and good grip, especially in wet. Being stock size, atleast the spare tyre is useable now in case of emergency.

Hi A.G.
This is a wonderful blog , very well articulated ownership review , I am in plan of Getting the beast " Endeavor" for myself , and seems that I should be expecting a lots of inputs from your end. Mainly towards setting up things right , specially on change of tyres and tuning the KM run thereafter , and some customization around the display which was done by you were really interesting . I would seriously need your suggestion and guidance around them . Thanking you in Advance

Thread Starter #207
Sixth Service Experience:

The sixth service threw a curve ball when it was diagnosed that the front upper arm bushes need replacement since one of them had lost a collar and other had signs of cracking. Apart from this, the wiper blades were additionally replaced. In addition to the schedule, the fuel filter was replaced while the cabin air filter and engine air filter were cleaned. The transmission oil quality and quantity was visually inspected via the provided dipstick.

Part of bush collar missing
Endeavour T43_1.jpg

Upper Arm removed for bush replacement
Endeavour T43_2.jpg

New wiper blades prices
Endeavour T43_3.jpg

Transmission oil dipstick
Endeavour T43_4.jpg

2 Endeavours getting serviced side-by-side
Endeavour T43_5.jpg

A couple of door visors had broken and they were replaced too along with the addition of cargo cover. Including these 2 accessories, the overall service bill came to a shade above Rs. 25,000/-.

Hi A.G.
This is a wonderful blog , very well articulated ownership review , I am in plan of Getting the beast " Endeavor" for myself , and seems that I should be expecting a lots of inputs from your end. Mainly towards setting up things right , specially on change of tyres and tuning the KM run thereafter , and some customization around the display which was done by you were really interesting . I would seriously need your suggestion and guidance around them . Thanking you in Advance
Thank you for your kind words. Would be glad to assist with the customizations.

Transforming to Raptor look...
View attachment 236616
Hello A.G , I would like your Help and Advice towards understanding the following ,
a. I find you have installed Auxiliary Lights
b, I would need to understand as How have you taken the wiring inside the Cabin (To access the Switch) or is it that the light points are taken either from the fog lamp point or any of the main light points ?

I found that Endeavor to have a more sealed cabin towards protection water wading and better cabin insulation , kindly please help , I am planning for installation of a RIGID LED Bar in the same place, where you have installed you Auxiliary lights

Thread Starter #209
a. I find you have installed Auxiliary Lights
I have installed a LED light bar behind the Raptor Grill. Earlier it was positioned in the lower part of the bumper.
b, I would need to understand as How have you taken the wiring inside the Cabin (To access the Switch) or is it that the light points are taken either from the fog lamp point or any of the main light points ?
The LED bar is connected to the battery via a relay and turns-on with High beam since the coil of the relay is connected via the High Beam bulb wire tapped using a Scotchlok. Another option is adding a wireless wiring kit - the wireless remote in the cabin can be used to operate the relay.

I have installed a LED light bar behind the Raptor Grill. Earlier it was positioned in the lower part of the bumper.

The LED bar is connected to the battery via a relay and turns-on with High beam since the coil of the relay is connected via the High Beam bulb wire tapped using a Scotchlok. Another option is adding a wireless wiring kit - the wireless remote in the cabin can be used to operate the relay.
Thanks you So much AG , I was planning to mount the LED Bar on Cross Member , now because i have a RIGID LED BAR , it has its own harness , is it OK to connect it with the Fog Lamp ? wireless switch is no doubt a good options suggested in case they are effective .

Top Bottom