Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: The Electric Vehicle & Hybrid Scene in India

MG Motor to launch global electric vehicle in India

Press Release - MG Motor to launch global electric vehicle in India-1.jpg

Press Release - MG Motor to launch global electric vehicle in India-2.jpg

MG Motor India - First Product of India Teaser 2018-10-15.jpeg

2.jpeg
(L to R) – Louis M Sanches, Chief Digital Designer, MG Global; P Balendran, Executive Director, MG Motor India; Michael Yang, Executive Director of International Business, SAIC Motor & President of SAIC Motor International Company; Rajeev Chaba, President & Managing Director, MG Motor India and Ying Lu, Senior Designer, MG Global.

Regards

Akash

Nairrk

Honoured Member
New Maruti WagonR electric LED headlights spied – Launch in India by 2020

WagonR electric is powered by a 72 volt system with 10-25kWh battery capacity. The electric model will be positioned on a new platform on which the next-gen WagonR is based. This HEARTECT platform also underpins the new Swift and DZire.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Hyundai Could Bring Smaller EV after Kona Electric SUV Launch in India

South Korean auto major Hyundai could bring in a smaller electric SUV to India after assessing the response for its bigger Kona electric SUV which it plans to introduce in the country next year, a top company official said. The company, which operates in the country through its wholly-owned subsidiary Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL), would launch its first electric model Kona in the second half of the next year.

Read:

Thread Starter #65

bhvm

Honoured Member
Finally an Indepth, Rational Video explaining The real Deal with EVs, Especially with the knee Jerk wave going on with EVs in most countries including India.
https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

Please note that this video does not consider Electricity Produced from Nuclear Power plants, Which would throw off the toxicity balance way crazy. Nor it does consider sub-standard End of Life (Dismantling) process in Lesser developed and developing countries of EVs or Regular cars.

Very informative video, so despite coal based electricity, electric cars in India too can reduce pollution in 5 years time. I think the only problem is large percentage of vehicles have to turn electric. The greatest pollutants in vehicle category are heavy vehicles but I don't see any plan of truck EVs in India[confused].

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Fleet of Maruti Suzuki EV’s Spotted in Gurgaon

Just a few weeks back, Maruti Suzuki had announced their new plan to test electric vehicles on the Indian roads. They put out a fleet of over 50 cars, to go through various driving conditions are roads have to offer. These cars are developed by the Suzuki Corporation in Japan and assembled here at the company’s plant in Gurgaon. A big thanks to our reader, Kym KH Kongor, for sending us these images. We see two of these electric vehicles roaming on the highway bearing HR registered temporary number plates.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Hyundai’s Second EV For India After Kona Could Be A Small SUV

Hyundai India is going to be one of the first manufacturers to introduce a full-blown EV to India and the company is planning to launch Kona EV by the middle of next year in India. YK Koo, HMIL Managing Director and CEO confirmed that the Kona will come to India via CKD route and the company is not looking for volumes with this model.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Honda’s First EV In India Will Have 150-200 Km Range – Launch Details

Honda Cars India will be launching its latest generation Civic sold globally in the domestic market in early 2019. While the brand new City could arrive in 2021, plans regarding the next-gen Jazz with bigger proportions remain a mystery yet for India. The Japanese auto major had previously been vocal about its foray into the electric vehicle market and new details have now emerged on the internet.

Read:

Frankly speaking, for a nation like India, I think we should first move towards purely hybrid vehicles and then towards purely electric.

We should concentrate or focus on smaller cars having hybrid varients. I would prefer to see smaller engines which use petrol and produce power at its most economical conditions, and that power stored in smaller batteries that would drive the electric engine. So we save in the engines a bit and losses a bit on the battery. I would consider say, 50-100 km of travel on battery alone.

With govt subsidies in the form of reduced or no road tax and other taxes, they could possibly built it hopefully within say 50k-100k over the normal engined cars.

From what I know, smaller engine and operating it at its most efficient conditions at all times means we get super mileage. Plus running these hybrids on pure electric power in cities/ slow speeds/ heavy traffic means again savings in fuel. If the manufacturers can really show how much a person could save with this, normal people would surely go for this. Average drivers who doesn't care for the fun factor (which could be said about most drivers) would go for hybrid cars then.

Once we have enough hybrids to justify building charging points, we could start building them.

Currently a lot of drivers use their cars for intercity travels or city to hometown travels regularly. Purely electric vehicles would find it very difficult to recharge cars in their travel. If charge is gone and they are stuck somewhere, unlike petrol cars which can be started again with petrol bought in a can from any nearby station, purely electric cars are useless.

Once we have good enough charging infrastructure, with the improvement in battery technologies during that time, we could slowly transfer to pure electric vehicles.

I feel hybrid is better technology right now in India.

What do you guys think?

That's my take on this subject.

Last edited:
I think maybe some people should start a startup company like say Jayem from coimbatore who does modifications along with original manufacturers.

If this company can take a Maruti Alto or a Kwid and remove big engine, put a smaller one and put in electric engine and batteries, thereby modify it to a hybrid.... Maybe then it will catch up.

Yes I know its not really safe to do that kind of modification on a car rather than designing from ground up. But those cars are not really safe as of now and if done proper, can work with the manufacturer on it like the Tiago JTP.

Thread Starter #73

bhvm

Honoured Member
ARAI-approved Retrofit Maruti Alto Electric With 150KM Range – Details

ARAI-approved Maruti Alto electric and Wagon R electric models developed by a startup company, have a range of up to 150 kilometres

Read:
This is the step in Right direction. Throwing away old cars is worse way of polluting the planet. I always wonder why Manufacturers themselves are not coming forward to launch and retrofit Hybrid or EV "kits" for their older vehicles?

Throwing away old cars is worse way of polluting the planet.
Exactly. I didn't think of it that way, but this is the best solution to reuse older cars. I'm sure there will be people to buy old cars with such kits if it's priced well. First time buyers moving from bike/scooter or buyers looking for a second car for the spouse/ children/parents could buy cheaper cars that pollute less.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Honda To Launch An Electric Vehicle In India by 2023-2024

Honda Car India is considering launching an electric vehicle (EV) in India by 2023-24 according to a report published by Economic Times. The electric car which will be launched in India will be one of the company's global models which will be produced after 2019 after the Japanese carmaker rolls out its electric plan for a wide set of market. The vehicle that will make its way to India could be a 'B' segment vehicle the development of which is under process for the Indian Market.

Read:

Last edited:

Top Bottom