The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Re: Petrol vs Diesel

After driving my father's Swift 2011 ZDI, I dont get the connect nor the fun factor with any petrols I have driven after that.... And I am kind of apprehensive to own a deisel hatch owing to the myth around low running diesels !

Let's see if the heart wins or the head ! :)
It's very debatable I must say. Each car is different in its petrol and diesel avatar.

Regarding maintenance and issues of low running diesels, I can say it's not true in case of most contemporary diesel engines, at least the MJDs. We had a Punto 1.3MJD - 2016 and it ran only 20k kms till May 2018 before we sold it. This is very less in my opinion compared with what a diesel car's mileage is supposed to be.

One more to ease your apprehension, my friend owns a Swift VDI 2013. He has ran only 6k Kms so far in the past 5 years. Yeah, you read it right - just 6k in 5 years. The car neither has issues nor has any problems so far.

If I may take the liberty to ask what cars have you considered, may be we can discuss and bring in new perspectives.

Cheers!

Last edited:

For small cars it is wiser to go for petrol unless you intend it for commercial taxi.

For mid and full size SUV, diesel is only option considering torque and economy.

Setting aside the initial premium of 80 - 100K of Diesel over Petrol, which you think is better ? in terms of

1)Driveability
2)Cost of maintenance
3)Long term reliability

Is it a myth or a fact that low running diesels creates a hole in the pocket

Mods - Add it to any existing similar thread if any
Interesting thread, which needs to be debated, more so due to the thin price blurr between the 2 fuels.

Have been a Petrol head all along, currently own a 2014 Wagon R, and a 2016 Nano AMT.

Have found many opting for a small diesel 1.5L and below, for the mighty low end torque and grunt, and fuel economy, especially found the reasoning of our very own @mayankdixit who has always been a diesel junkie despite his seemingly low usage.

Well as for me was eagerly awaiting the Nexon XMA diesel to take a plunge and get rid of the Wagon R?

Regards
Vinod

It's very debatable I must say. Each car is different in its petrol and diesel avatar.

Regarding maintenance and issues of low running diesels, I can say it's not true in case of most contemporary diesel engines, at least the MJDs. We had a Punto 1.3MJD - 2016 and it ran only 20k kms till May 2018 before we sold it. This is very less in my opinion compared with what a diesel car's mileage is supposed to be.

One more to ease your apprehension, my friend owns a Swift VDI 2013. He has ran only 6k Kms so far in the past 5 years. Yeah, you read it right - just 6k in 5 years. The car neither has issues nor has any problems so far.

If I may take the liberty to ask what cars have you considered, may be we can discuss and bring in new perspectives.

Cheers!
This is the sort of answers I am looking for just to make up my mind to buy a diesel Hatch - Specially the Figo's 1.5 TDCI in the freestyle avatar!!

I just love it's torque :)

Interesting thread, which needs to be debated, more so due to the thin price blurr between the 2 fuels.

Have been a Petrol head all along, currently own a 2014 Wagon R, and a 2016 Nano AMT.

Have found many opting for a small diesel 1.5L and below, for the mighty low end torque and grunt, and fuel economy, especially found the reasoning of our very own @mayankdixit who has always been a diesel junkie despite his seemingly low usage.

Well as for me was eagerly awaiting the Nexon XMA diesel to take a plunge and get rid of the Wagon R?

Regards
Vinod
Today, I saw that the price gap is a mere INR 6 !! But still as you mentioned I just love the low end torque and grunt, not to mention the mileage !

My only apprehnsion is the myth around low running diesels, if not for that I am looking at the freestyle diesle or the new figo diesel only it is launched ! :)

Wagor to Nexon Diesel is a great leap and you will love it ! :)

Setting aside the initial premium of 80 - 100K of Diesel over Petrol, which you think is better ? in terms of

1)Driveability
2)Cost of maintenance
3)Long term reliability

Is it a myth or a fact that low running diesels creates a hole in the pocket

Mods - Add it to any existing similar thread if any
1)Driveability - Debatable! Long Term owners of both vehicles claim it in their own way. Also, it depends what you expect from dirvability? Ease of driving? comfort? drive pleasure? IMO, petrol is smoother (low NVH levels, smoother clutch etc.) but Diesels have higher low end torque which helps to move better in city traffic and better pick up if turbo is tuned well to start from low end RPMs. Else, turbo lag make you feel the worst side of it.

2)Cost of maintenance - Diesel is indeed expensive. Eg: You change the fuel filter every 20K KMs which is otherwise 60 or even 80 in Petrol. Even, the same part in both siblings are found to be expensive than petrol (Eg: Clutch). However, would you offshoot this difference with your saving in fuel expenses? That depends on your running, driving pattern, FE and most importantly fuel price, which is trending negative these days.

3)Long term reliability - I think both are equal in this point. It may depend on the quality of parts used in the product, usage and maintainence by the user.

Is it a myth or a fact that low running diesels creates a hole in the pocket - Yes it will if you don't do the math well. Basically, it depends on when you reach the breakeven point as only anything above that is a profit. You must consider the premium for Diesel which is generally a lakh + difference in maintenence / spares + interest on loan for that 1 lakh + difference in insurance amount for all the years for the higher price as the total additional amount spent. So, when you reach a point you realize you have recovered it, that's the breakeven point and anything beyond is the profit. The sooner you reach it, better it is. So, for low running, reaching this point takes more time, so end up in loss. BTW, with the way petrol and diesel fuels priced today or future, diesel won't make sense unless we would run a taxi [:D] Exageration though!

BTW, I am a diesel driver always, but will consider Petrol Automatic for my next car!

Last edited:

My only apprehnsion is the myth around low running diesels, if not for that I am looking at the freestyle diesle or the new figo diesel only it is launched ! :)
It is a notional loss in the sense that if your running is low, you could have purchased Petrol variant and saved the difference between Petrol and Diesel vehicle price.

If I understand correctly, your query is related to physical problem due to low running. Right ? Rest assured that there is no physical vehicle related problem due to low running.

This is the sort of answers I am looking for just to make up my mind to buy a diesel Hatch - Specially the Figo's 1.5 TDCI in the freestyle avatar!!
I just love it's torque :)
That's one wonderful choice and it's indeed a torque monster. I was in your shoes 2 years back when we switched from a petrol vehicle to diesel one and went ahead with my heart and picked a diesel.

How much do you estimate your annual mileage to be?

One more suggestion, if you aren't in a hurry and don't bother picking a Figo, I suggest you to wait for the new Figo. I will any day suggest the current Figo as well. Since its production is stopped, you can avail a hefty discount around 80k on the current stocks. I know a couple of top folks from Ford and the new Figo will be mechanically identical to the old one so no worries on availability of parts as well.

Cheers!

1)Driveability - Debatable! Long Term owners of both vehicles claim it in their own way. Also, it depends what you expect from dirvability? Ease of driving? comfort? drive pleasure? IMO, petrol is smoother (low NVH levels, smoother clutch etc.) but Diesels have higher low end torque which helps to move better in city traffic and better pick up if turbo is tuned well to start from low end RPMs. Else, turbo lag make you feel the worst side of it.

2)Cost of maintenance - Diesel is indeed expensive. Eg: You change the fuel filter every 20K KMs which is otherwise 60 or even 80 in Petrol. Even, the same part in both siblings are found to be expensive than petrol (Eg: Clutch). However, would you offshoot this difference with your saving in fuel expenses? That depends on your running, driving pattern, FE and most importantly fuel price, which is trending negative these days.

3)Long term reliability - I think both are equal in this point. It may depend on the quality of parts used in the product, usage and maintainence by the user.

Is it a myth or a fact that low running diesels creates a hole in the pocket - Yes it will if you don't do the math well. Basically, it depends on when you reach the breakeven point as only anything above that is a profit. You must consider the premium for Diesel which is generally a lakh + difference in maintenence / spares + interest on loan for that 1 lakh + difference in insurance amount for all the years for the higher price as the total additional amount spent. So, when you reach a point you realize you have recovered it, that's the breakeven point and anything beyond is the profit. The sooner you reach it, better it is. So, for low running, reaching this point takes more time, so end up in loss. BTW, with the way petrol and diesel fuels priced today or future, diesel won't make sense unless we would run a taxi [:D] Exageration though!

BTW, I am a diesel driver always, but will consider Petrol Automatic for my next car!
Thanks for the exhaustive response ! Trust me, I have done all the maths I was taught off and the answer is the petrol :) But, you know the kind of enemy the heart is, it keeps pulling me towards Figo :)

ANyways, I am not in a hurry for the car, so probably I will wait out for the new Figo - Expecting it to be priced a bit less than the freestyle ! If It is not it my budget then , I will take a look at probably Ignis Delta or the Tigor !

CHeers

That's one wonderful choice and it's indeed a torque monster. I was in your shoes 2 years back when we switched from a petrol vehicle to diesel one and went ahead with my heart and picked a diesel.

How much do you estimate your annual mileage to be?

One more suggestion, if you aren't in a hurry and don't bother picking a Figo, I suggest you to wait for the new Figo. I will any day suggest the current Figo as well. Since its production is stopped, you can avail a hefty discount around 80k on the current stocks. I know a couple of top folks from Ford and the new Figo will be mechanically identical to the old one so no worries on availability of parts as well.

Cheers!
My estimate is upto 1000 Kms per month, But I for sure know that it will increase if I get a Diesel Hatch ( In my father's Swift ZDI, we drove all the way from Vizag - Siliguri - Vizag 3000 Kms as part of our North east tour where we could have simply taken a flight - But we drove just for the love of driving )

Yes, I can see hefty discounts on the current Figo, but I think the new figo will be priced much lesser than the current Gen Figo since the freestyle was launched at the price lesser than the Current Gen figo :)

Cheers Mate !

It is a notional loss in the sense that if your running is low, you could have purchased Petrol variant and saved the difference between Petrol and Diesel vehicle price.

If I understand correctly, your query is related to physical problem due to low running. Right ? Rest assured that there is no physical vehicle related problem due to low running.
Thank you !! And also I think Ford is doing well in bringing the price of After sales and service down, so tha'ts definitely a confidence booster

My estimate is upto 1000 Kms per month, But I for sure know that it will increase if I get a Diesel Hatch ( In my father's Swift ZDI, we drove all the way from Vizag - Siliguri - Vizag 3000 Kms as part of our North east tour where we could have simply taken a flight - But we drove just for the love of driving )

Yes, I can see hefty discounts on the current Figo, but I think the new figo will be priced much lesser than the current Gen Figo since the freestyle was launched at the price lesser than the Current Gen figo :)

Cheers Mate !
1000Kms/month is a decent mileage and I suggest you go for the diesel if your heart says so. Even our monthly mileage was low but once we got the diesel, I was tempted to take it frequently and eventually clocked more miles.

Side note: I was talking with my SA to check how much is being offered on the current stocks and he was ready to offer close to 2 lakhs for Aspire :o So you're basically getting Aspire 1.5D Titanium for something close to 6.7L OTR Chennai. Please give a thought about this too! I'll be more than happy to connect you with my SA, in case you're interested.

Cheers!

Last edited:

1000Kms/month is a decent mileage and I suggest you go for the diesel if your heart says so. Even our monthly mileage was low but once we got the diesel, I was tempted to take it frequently and eventually clocked more miles.

Side note: I was talking with my SA to check how much is being offered on the current stocks and he was ready to offer close to 2 lakhs for Aspire :o So you're basically getting Aspire 1.5D Titanium for something close to 6.7L OTR Chennai. Please give a thought about this too! I'll be more than happy to connect you with my SA, in case you're interested.

Cheers!
Yes 1000 KM/Month transpires to Rs 2000/month saving approximately at present pump prices.

Which variant they are giving so much discounts? Petrol, AT or Diesel ? MY 2017 or MY 2018 ?

Yes 1000 KM/Month transpires to Rs 2000/month saving approximately at present pump prices.

Which variant they are giving so much discounts? Petrol, AT or Diesel ? MY 2017 or MY 2018 ?
Hey Anshuman,

Basically what I heard from the SA is that they're giving then current stocks of Aspire at such discounts. As production of Aspire has stopped, available stocks of Aspire petrols, diesels, and ATs get such discounts. Though I'm not sure about the year of manufacture, I think there will be 2018 models as well since the production was stopped only in late May 2018.

Cheers!

Hey Anshuman,

Basically what I heard from the SA is that they're giving then current stocks of Aspire at such discounts. As production of Aspire has stopped, available stocks of Aspire petrols, diesels, and ATs get such discounts. Though I'm not sure about the year of manufacture, I think there will be 2018 models as well since the production was stopped only in late May 2018.

Cheers!
OT - but why is production stopped ? Are they upgrading the model ?

Cheers!
Thank you so much buddy, However Had a discussion with Father who is also a bit inclined towards Petrol !! So let's see how it goes !!

Top Bottom