The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Msn1@
I agree with ashbabu. I own a petrol esteem(drives inly in weekend) and daily drives a diesel punto.it is the same case with ritz,swift etc..though there are some diesel cars have linear power delivery(Etios) petrols are faster to achieve speed compared to same size diesels. For smaller Diesels to achieve speed, they need to be in turbo range.
Most of this people thinking like turbo is part of diesel engine only and not thinking it is also possilble in petrol too.
When you compare a turbo diesel engine you should compare it to turbo petrol not a NA petrol even though still they are better to achieve speed from a stand still.

Re: perol vs diesel

Boss, seems you never and ever driven a diesel car... am using diesel car since 5 years and after reading your post i just cannot stop [lol]
MSN1 I am owning a diesel car for last 3 years and owned petrol cars for 10+ years. Cars are self driven. I am quite aware of the behavior of Petrol and Diesel engines. I believe engine torque and pick up is two different things. Whenever you change the gear and push the accelerator, the pick up of the petrol engine is there to feel in your blood. There will always be a lag in Diesel response. I love this petrol engine characteristic apart from low noise, but have to move to Diesel due to cost factor.

Just to mention I own a Etios, where the low end torque is superb and the car is breeze to drive even at low speed. But still I can feel the difference of this diesel engine.

Last edited:
Shailinder, thanks for the calculator. I'm looking for a new Sedan and got pretty impressed by VW TSI engine. But was concerned about running cost of petrol (currently have a diesel fiesta). With the price diff of petrol and diesel narrowing it really doesn't make sense for one to pay a lakh+ premium for diesel engine, unless you are renting your car as taxi. My fiesta has done 75 k in last 6 yrs
Booked my Vento TSI DSG (Facelift) last week[:D], but waiting period of 2 months! [frustration]
Attached my simple calculator (conservative)

Attachments

Re: perol vs diesel

MSN1 I am owning a diesel car for last 3 years and owned petrol cars for 10+ years. Cars are self driven. I am quite aware of the behavior of Petrol and Diesel engines. Whenever you change the gear and push the accelerator, the pick up of the petrol engine is there to feel in your blood. There will always be a lag in Diesel response. I love this petrol engine characteristic apart from low noise, but have to move to Diesel due to cost factor.

Just to mention I own a Etios, where the low end torque is superb and the car is breeze to drive even at low speed. But still I can feel the difference of this diesel engine.
@Ashbabu - Partially agree with you. The characteristics of Petrol & Diesel is way different. I think, you have considered only Fiat's Multijet Diesel Engine for comparison, then it's valid as the "Lag" is evident. However, that's not the case with all other like the one you mentioned Toyota's D-4D, Renault's DCi or Ford's TDCi etc. You hardly feel any lag with those engines. Moreover, the driving style and gear shift too differs with Petrol & Diesel. A seasoned driver can keep the diesel mill spinning at par or even better than petrol.

I believe engine torque and pick up is two different things.
Agreed. However, better low end torque with perfect gear ratio and turbo spooling will make the lag disappeared and thus would result in better pickup. So, though they are different aspects, can be interrelated by perfect mating.

Guyz,

Here is my version of Petrol vs Diesel TCO calculation. I have tried to consider all aspects.

This same question was in my mind when I was deciding for Zest Petrol or Diesel. Calculations are based on Delhi prices. Make the adjustments accordingly in input fields.

View attachment 154501
I could not understand as how to enter the Insurance field and also rate of interest ( does it denote the loan interest rate ) ?

If you could add emi month calculation too it will be greatly useful and can get a overall idea of cost per month one need to afford.

Last edited:
I could not understand as how to enter the Insurance field and also rate of interest ( does it denote the loan interest rate ) ?

If you could add emi month calculation too it will be greatly useful and can get a overall idea of cost per month one need to afford.
Kbase,

"On Loan" calculation is on second tab. First one is for all cash deal.

You can put total insurance cost for remaining years in respective places. E.g. if you want to keep your car for 5 years. Put remaining 4 years insurance cost.

So now life of diesel is 10 yrs now vs 15 yrs of petrol

Plus, now i see only a matter of time before private diesel cars are phased out

Game over for diesel

It was in Delhi and now in Kerala. With many Indian cities having air quality worse than Delhi, I won't be surprised if more cities follow suit in the next 5 years. My car buying plans is on hold due to the uncertainty.

Reliability Petrol v/s Diesel

Friends imagine a situation you are on long trip and all of sudden engine refuse to start.

So which one is more reliable Petrol or Diesel?

Here I'm concern with only engine problems and not breakdown due to other issues like clutch.

Re: Reliability Petrol v/s Diesel

Friends imagine a situation you are on long trip and all of sudden engine refuse to start.

So which one is more reliable Petrol or Diesel?

Here I'm concern with only engine problems and not breakdown due to other issues like clutch.
Modern diesel engines are silent to an extent and are equally reliable at par with petrol engines and more over in high range / hillstation drives gives adequate torque for smooth drives especially the new turbo diesel ones. Problems do occur rarely for turbo but with adequate idling at start/ switch off it seems very less for a turbo failure.Only factor is higher cost of diesel engine and cost of diesel filter that s a hindrance.
Fiat MJD diesel engines are little more expensive to maintain than toyota s diesel but still both are reliable.

Top Bottom