The Definition Of A Good Driver

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Definition Of A Good Driver

Driver is a person who either drives by self or as chauffeur, all kinds of vehicles ranging from a 3 wheeler to the multi axle ones. For some enthusiasts driving is passion, a hobby. But for some it’s a compulsion. While driving on roads, there are 3 types of good drivers that one shall often see i.e One who has learnt from his mistakes, one who learnt by seeing other’s mistakes and the third one is the time taught. I have considered them as "Good" drivers as all those who fall in these 3 categories understand the importance of responsible driving.

I believe there is no term as ‘Bad Driver’ since no driver is bad rather he/she is learning the art of driving and at times it does take a bit long to grasp the basics but definitely one learns them. Let me also clarify here that those who drive under any type of influence are the one’s who are taught to be responsible on road by circumstances and due happenings. They definitely learn from them since even the most insane driver worries for his/her life.

A good driver can be anyone, not necessarily a middle aged man/woman. It can be one among the youth or could be an elderly person. Anyone who sets an example of safe and responsible driving for others is a good driver. A driver who is respected for his/her driving by other fellow motorists is a good driver. A good driver may not be that well educated, but still can be a good driver simply because of the positive attitude towards driving.

I have come across many forums where in people do feel there exists bad drivers, but, honestly there are just 2 types of drivers i.e good and learner. Often teenagers are called to be most unsafe drivers but it would be better if we see them as learners. They grasp the skills from a good driver no matter whether slow or fast. Even the teenagers know the importance of their life no matter from which back-ground they come from.

For me a good driver is one who not only knows acceleration but also knows control. Speed is the easiest to attain but control comes with great deal of effort and precision. Hence, A good driver is one who masters the art of achieving precise control on the vehicle.

Following the traffic rules in City or Highways leads to safe driving which is one characteristic of a good driver. However, A good driver, as a term, is much more vast since, a good driver has a bigger role to play among the fellow learners on road who are encountered on a daily basis. How a good driver deals with them is really interesting to see and know because there are more number of learners than good drivers.

Everyone on road knows driving, but not everyone is as precise as a good driver. Somewhere down the line there is still scope of improvisation and it is actually the hand-holding by a good driver that can help a learner to become a good driver.

Just like us, when we were kids, our parents taught us to walk, our teachers educated us and there were many of us who were not born brilliant and had our share of failures and upon being mentioned as bad student we have felt humiliated. Similarly when we label a person as bad driver, he or she surely feels insulted.

So a good driver on the road never looses cool or shows sign of agitation because he’s like a teacher to those who are yet to learn the art and those who are practicing to be a good driver. Remember, to raise a finger on any learner is easy but to support a learner is very difficult.

Here are just some characteristics that I feel characterizes the personality of a Good Driver:

• A good driver always respectfully addresses the novice/ learner’s temperament.

• A good driver is confident of his skills and temperament. This confidence level always inspires the others around including the learners.

• A good driver never gets full of their self. He/She respects the fact that still there is scope of betterment.

• A good driver always gives good advises to new learners even if they are a passenger in the car without affecting their passion and enthusiasm to drive in a negative way.

• A good driver always leaves ample space for the learners most of the time so that they can also improvise.

Lastly I would like to quote a small saying “Be the change, you want to see”. If you want others to drive responsibly, then, be the first one to implement safe and responsible attitude in your driving.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: The Definition Of A Good Driver.

When you say "Bad Drivers" don't exist, the same is applicable for the term "Good Drivers" as well.
Hi Satish, I understand your view but express mine in slightly different manner buddy in my OP.

there are more number of learners than good drivers
Regards

Akash

I agree there are a lot of learners on the road, but they are not supposed to be on road before they understand their responsibility.
- Public road is not the place to learn responsibility.
- One need not learn their (driving) responsibility on road. They should know it before they sit behind the wheel (learning is different from enhancement)
Classify all such cases under "Irresponsible drivers"

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I agree there are a lot of learners on the road, but they are not supposed to be on road before they understand their responsibility.
That is where effective hand-holding can be implemented.

- Public road is not the place to learn responsibility.
- One need not learn their (driving) responsibility on road. They should know it before they sit behind the wheel (learning is different from enhancement)
We learn from what we see, If these learners see a good driver who drives responsibly they definitely can learn. Even the motor trainers take the learners out on road to see and learn how to drive and achieve control and precision like a good driver. Along with constructive advises, practical experience of good driving on the roads is a must for the learners.

Regards

Akash

Thanks Akash for starting such a wonderful thread. It is really important to drive respectfully on the roads. I have little bit different view of seeing the situation.

I agreed with Mr Boss. Its not about whether they know how to drive or not. This is all about respect to other vehicles/pedestrian on the road. This is all about responsible or irresponsible drivers. I have seen people who are very good at driving but act over smarly on roads and trying to show their skill by overtaking it from the wrong side, frequently chaning the lanes to just cut the traffic (no offense, nothing personal). [frustration] I have seen, mostly in city, people are frequently changing the lanes without even bothering if any vehicles approaching in that lane or not. [anger]

All the driver should follow at least below rules.
- Always buckle up your seat belts if you drive 4 wheeler or wear helmet if you drive 2 wheeler.
- Avoid frequent lane changing
- While changing the lane, please indicate your intention by using your vehicle's indicator and make sure nobody is approaching you in that lane. Don't change the lane suddenly. While changing the lane, make sure nobody is at your blind spot by simply turning your head over shoulder and checking it. There is no other good & safe way to check whether somebody is at your blind spot or not. In india we don't have this habit as most people rely on ORVM & inside rear view mirror.
- If you are in mood of going slow while listening your favorite old songs please be on slow lane (i.e. left most lane) so other traffic can move smoothly. I have seen people who drives very slowely in right most lane and causing trouble for other traffic because everybody has to over take from the left lane then.
- Please respect the traffic signals and pedestrian who are crossing the road at traffic signal or zebra crossing. As per me this is mostly ignored in India.
- Please drive at safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you. So, in case if vehicle ahead of you apply break suddenly, you will have time to react on.
- Please avoid honking at the traffic jam. I have seen most people are honking when there is traffic jam. Please think that whether you honk or not does it make any difference in traffic jam?
- Don't ever drive on wrong side.
- Don't over speeding. I know speed limits in India on some roads are not reasonable though. I have observed that there is no significant time difference to destination either you drive within limit and constantly on safe speed or you drive very fast but breaking here & there.
- Don't talk using your phone while driving. (I am planning to start separate thread for this topic)

I don't know how we can teach others to follow the rules and respect other vehicles/pedestrian on the roads. Least thing we can do is, lets drive safely ourself first so others can see and one day people starts learning from others.

Great article. But what I have seen, here, in india atleast is "patience" is also a quality that a driver must possess to be rated good/responsible. There are many people on the roads who drive their motors like they have a ferrari and they are at F1. People go nuts when they see such drivers missing their cars by a whisker and they start showing their anger in the way they drive. So atleast in india, Patience is a factor too according to me. Just my opinion [:)]

Thread Starter #9

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Let's have a poll to understand others view as well
Satish, Do provide the criteria for the poll. It would surely be very beneficial. My question for the poll is "What constitutes a Good Driver?"

Options from your end and others are most welcome. Then I'll report it to attach the poll.

Satish, Do provide the criteria for the poll. It would surely be very beneficial. My question for the poll is "What constitutes a Good Driver?"
My suggestion for poll was on a different topic all together and I don't wish to drag off-topic.

Great subject. There are lot of drivers who just don't know the driving rules (makes me wonder how they got driving licence in the first place [;)]) so can't blame them for not following a rule that they are not aware of.

So educating the drivers on road rules and etiquette should be top priority for all of us. Educational institutes (schools, colleges) would be a great place to start off - I know some schools do provide but that is more of a lip service and not taken seriously. Political parties, RTO's and insurance agencies should also start conducting awareness campaigns.

I feel RTO's should start mandating every driver take refresher course followed by a test on road rules and regulations every 5 years or every time DL has to be renewed. Thoughts..

Good sugesstions by blackbird. We have new bill yet to be passed. In that bill I believe there is provision to suspend the license for multiple offenses. But that's the future.

Below are some more things that can be done.

I think auto insurance should be clubbed with the driving offenses. There are some contries like USA where they follow this. If driver is breaking rules more often then auto insurance premium goes up. The same way good driver will be rewarded with low premium. [clap]Most important thing is that this history clubs with person and not with car so it will be with you forever. I believe if people have to spend more bucks from their pocket then they will automatically follow rules. I know its difficult to implement but should start moving towards that. I know unfortunately we don't have proper mechanism to associate driving offense to the driver's license. [frustration]

A good driver will have two things.Skill and road sense.Skill, one can get by training but road sense is inbuilt and it is not got to many.I know so many people who have got driver's license by learning 6 months and going through an examination, but don't have the road sense, by which that driver becomes a nuisance to the other road users. Rash drivers,people who gets to road rage, all come under this type of driver whom I call bad driver.A driver who is having a presence of mind,giving way to the other drivers, keeping calm, confidence, care for other road users, ( having road sense) I will call a good driver.

Nicely written Akash. I would like to summarize MY definition of a Good Driver. A Good driver is one who:

1. Causes NO discomfort to other Good Drivers, Novice / Aged Drivers and Pedestrians.
  2. Knows how to give back to those drivers who cause discomfort or irritate other road users. Giving BACK or NOT is irrelevant. Knowing is important.
  3. Shows compassion to pedestrians and 2-W drivers when weather / road conditions are bad.
  4. Parks his vehicle in such a way to cause no (or least if impossible to avoid) trouble to others.
I do believe that Bad drivers exist; they don't follow the above 4 points.

I think that pretty much covers ALL sorts of road behaviors involving ALL sorts of vehicles and people.

Vijay_968 @

Plus that a good driver have good reflections, good presence of mind and he can avoid/save from many accidents.

When i think of good driver, i'll remember some old truck/bus drivers who driven the old NP bus/lorry with Air brakes and low lights in some of the most dangerous ghat secion. Also when think about a bad diver, it reminds me of some auto & private bus drivers here in Kochi. Some of them are still alive because of many others patience and presence of mind.

Top Bottom