The Das Auto Chronicles - Initial Ownership Review Of My Volkswagen Vento Highline

Thread Starter #1
DISCLAIMER:-The following thread is a initial ownership review of Volkswagen Vento TDi Highline bought on 19 october 2011.
This is my first ever attempt in writing any review so forgive any mistakes.
The following is a very long post as it was hard for me make it short lack of innovative writing skills you may say.

INTRODUCTION:- We are a family of three me and my parents you can say that we are a Hyundai loyalist because all our cars till date have been Hyundais our first ever car was a Hyundai Santro (1999-2006), Hyundai Accent ( 2006-2011), Hyundai i20 Asta (2009) to sum it up in short our experience have been excellent all over these years and we are thoroughly satisfied.

PROLOGUE:- Come 2011 petrol prices are starting to climb up north gradually and to hurt more our accent decides to let her mileage go south suddenly we are getting mileage of 7-8 kmpl, thought might be some mechanical problem tried various hits and miss such as changing the spark plugs, clutch plate (it got hard), engine oil (synthetic), checked the actuators, filters, even changed the filling station but it all went in vain even the HASS guys couldn't determine what went wrong. In the mean while the running cost went up as high as Rs 10-11/ km. At last with a very heavy heart we decided to sell her off and sold it in the month of september. I would like to say during her tenure of 5 years she never missed a beat and always bought a smile on our face it was a wonderful car.

DECISION MAKING :-
So now we were in the market for a new diesel car due to rising fuel cost and also our running has increased by quite some margin and it will rise more in future. I first suggested to go for a diesel hatchback keeping in view the traffic and parking woes in cities like New Delhi and suggested Skoda Fabia liked the car since it was launched even my father agreed but when he heard that its a three cylinder diesel he became slightly apprehensive then my mother flatly refused for a hatchback and said we already have a hatchback (i20) and said she want a sedan.
So out goes the hatchbacks in the recycle bin and comes out new contenders such as:-
Volkswagen Vento
Hyundai Verna

HYUNDAI EXPERIENCE:- As you all have read that we are hyundai loyalists our first choice was the Verna really liked its styling, features kit, refined engined according to me its the best value for money diesel sedan below 11lakh price band and its hard to beat. We went to Hans Hyundai which is the major dealership of hyundai in Delhi and from where we got our other cars and also get them serviced. The experience was very bad I entered the showroom a SE came to attend us, I asked him about diesel Verna and comes the reply sir booking closed 8 months waiting please come next year. He gives me a price list and off he went i chased him and told him about our past association with Hyundai and their showroom but still he flatly refuse to entertain anymore question no TD asked not even a display car in the showroom. We leave the showroom immediately.

VOLKSWAGEN EXPERIENCE:- We cross the road and steps inside the Volkswagen Showroom across the road . The showroom is quite empty we are immediately greeted by a staff who asks which car we are interested in, and immediately deploys a SE so far so got. The showroom is Volkswagen Delhi West they claim to be the largest dealer in Delhi-NCR ,the showroom itself is very big and airy with lots of natural light coming in and comfortable to sit and discuss the deal. Also many cars from the volkswagen stable are displayed in the showroom.
We check out the display car inside out every minute detail although I have researched everything about the car but still it was a first hand experience and my father liked the car a lot. We took the TD and decided thereon that this is our next car.

BOOKING EXPERIENCE:- Booked the car after a week from Volkswagen Delhi West . I came to know about a new Vento in the pipeline with some added features through some automotive forums when i confronted the same with the sales staff in the showroom they refused to accept any new model launch and were adamant on selling a existing car from their stock. I also maintained my argument and requested to call their GM he accepted that a new model will be launched shortly but they are not taking any new booking for diesel Ventos I requested politely to the GM and he accepted to book a new one for me but he also asked me not to disclose it any other customer i agreed. Booked the car by paying Rs 75000 and was told at least a month to wait.
The car came in exactly after a month went to the showroom to do a physical PDI found everything ok and gave my green signal.

DELIVERY EXPERIENCE:- Took delivery of the car on 19th october 2011 the delivery went smoothly mine was the only car to be delivered today as people were waiting for more auspicious Dhanteras and Diwali in a weeks time.
No freebies were offered to me not even complimentary chocolates or plant but Iam complaining I got my car quickly and in perfect shape that what matters more to me.

Price:- Ex Showroom- 9,74,000
Insurance- 37,401
Road Tax- 71,000
Logistics- 6,000
Total- 10,88,401

Some accessories I took from the showroom are as follows:-
Sunflims (Front and Side 4 windows)
Door Sill Guards
Body Cover
Mud-Flaps
Floor Carpet
Rubber Door Protector

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:- Since I have been driving this car for a littler over two weeks this is how i feel about the Vento Tdi.

POSITIVES
Great engine - the engine of this car is just great and the turbo boost is very addictive moreover urban drivability of this car is very good with negligible turbo lag and a great gear box its a breeze to drive in the city.
Handling - The handling is also very good feels rock stable at even speeds upward of 16 km/h, also the ride is very good its very linear and compliant on every road surfaces not to bouncy nor too harsh.
The air conditioner is also very effective although only the peak summers will tell but still it cools quickly and nicely.
Space is not a issue both front and rear are generous with ample shoulder room but the rear seat is strictly for two people due to the stupid central hump
The built of this car is super solid after driving the Vento my i20 feels light as a feather (be it the gear stick the clutch the doors even the self seems broken in i20 some times) .
NEGATIVES
The engine noise is on the higher side i mean although its not audible so much inside the cabin but outside you can hear the clatter very much. When compared to verna’s 1.6 crdi unit its quite loud.
The left hand drive control for wipers and indicators is quite confusing more so if you have different cars with controls in your garage.
The interiors colour is so light it gets spoiled very easily it is a dirt magnet even the floor carpet is biege colured
Lack of electric folding outside view mirror i mean common it should be standard in car of this price
The stupid central hump it just spoils the otherwise great space.
The tiny inside rear view mirror visibility from it is pathetic.

VERDICT
Even with few negatives Vento otherwise is avery good car Iam enjoying driving it so much that my personal car I20 feels lonely and dejected but cant help just loving the crazy torque this car produces. It is a value for money product though may not be as flashy as its competitors but still one should give it a thought if he is in the market for a diesel sedan

Any questions Or comments from fellow readers are warmly welcomed and will be highly appreciated.

Re: The Das Auto Chronicles- Initial Ownership Review Of My Volkswagen Vento Highline

congrats on your new ride mate. welcome to the club. you won't regret your decision in buying this car. what about a few snaps of your beauty.

Thread Starter #3
Re: The Das Auto Chronicles- Initial Ownership Review Of My Volkswagen Vento Highline

congrats on your new ride mate. welcome to the club. you won't regret your decision in buying this car. what about a few snaps of your beauty.
thanks a lot, regarding the pictures i will post them in a day or two for sure

anirban_i20 congrats, do post some pics. How do you find highway ride ?
Drive safe.

Thread Starter #5

anirban_i20 congrats, do post some pics. How do you find highway ride ?
Drive safe.
Tough I havent taken it for a proper highway drive till yet but from what i have experienced during my drive to F1 on yamuna expressway, high speed stability is excellent took it to 180kmph to check high speed manners and the car was rock stable the ride is also pliant and comfortable not wobbly like my i20.

180 kmph [:)] don't stretch new car for first few months.Good to hear that car was rock stable in ride. Now post some snaps [;)]

hey first of all congrats and wish u million safe miles ahead , so here is question for you which i think is a tricky one , so if you have choice between vento disel and verna disel what will be your pick , i mean if you are getting a verna with in same time frame of your vento ?[cheers]
one more will u also take test drive of verna and if you did then , which car you feels are more stable and premium ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

180 kmph [:)] don't stretch new car for first few months.Good to hear that car was rock stable in ride. Now post some snaps [;)]
Yes i know about the new car thing just took it for few second just to check the stability
On a lighter note i think while going for the F1 it was hard to control your right foot everyone feels he is vettel . [lol]

Thread Starter #9

hey first of all congrats and wish u million safe miles ahead , so here is question for you which i think is a tricky one , so if you have choice between vento disel and verna disel what will be your pick , i mean if you are getting a verna with in same time frame of your vento ?[cheers]
one more will u also take test drive of verna and if you did then , which car you feels are more stable and premium ?
Thanks for the compliment
Regarding the question if both were available in same time i would have picked up the Verna just because of its super value proposition such as more features more refined engine more power and most important peace of mind ASS and reliability.

Ya i took TD of Verna handling is not bad in Verna but the Vento takes the edge in terms of handling and stability but for a average joe like me Verna is also a good handling car, man at the end of the day iam not a rallyist.
Premium factor is almost the same in both the car hyundai has improved it quality by leaps and bounds (ex i10,i20,verna,i40 etc) but the solidity is more in Vento its more heavier.
(These are all my own observations no offense to any hyundai or Verna owners i myself drive a i20 and love it to the core)

350Z

Core Team

Congratulations! That's an excellent description of buying experience. The review is still not complete though without pictures. Do post them soon and keep us updated in future about experiences with Vento.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11

Uploading some pictures to share although the pictures are not so good but will do the job for the time being i will upload some more pictures in next week as i get some more time and at a better location.

The Rear 3 Quarter
IMG_3788.jpg
Blower For Rear Passengers
IMG_3796.jpg
The TDi Heart
IMG_3803.jpg
Rear Tail Lamp
IMG_3808.jpg
The Rear (Notice The New Parking Sensors)
IMG_3787.jpg
The Steering With Audio Controls
IMG_3810.jpg
The New Music System With Parking Sensor Display
IMG_3794.jpg
The Euro Style Light Switch
IMG_3812.jpg
Front Lamps With individual Map Lamps
IMG_3802.jpg
The Front Look
IMG_3782.jpg
The Rear Individual Reading Lamps
IMG_3797.jpg
The Identity
IMG_3806.jpg
Sharing A Space With Its Sibling
IMG_3816.JPG
The Understated Look
IMG_3785.jpg
Metal Scuff Plates
IMG_3799.jpg
Front Side Profile
IMG_3784.jpg
Meters And MID Display
IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg
The Lamps (wish they were smoked like the european spec polo)
IMG_3809.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Re: The Das Auto Chronicles - Initial Ownership Review Of My Volkswagen Vento Highlin

My car had its first visit to the workshop yesterday the car had some braking issue from the very first day the car vibrates when braked at speeds above 70 or above the vibrations occurred during normal braking as well as heavy braking and was felt even on the steering.

WORKSHOP EXPERIENCE:- It took them a full day and a half to ascertain what was wrong in the brakes first they cleaned the front discs and took a test drive nothing happened then they bought new front discs and changed them and again took a test drive again the problem persisted and with that the first day came to an end.
Today when i went to the workshop to see whats happening I saw no work was going on in my car then I complained to the senior service advisor he himself came and ordered to start the work ASAP he told me they have got a brand new vento from their stockyard to interchange the rear drums and then check out if the problem is sorted out they didnt have drum brakes in stock [frustration]
Then we went for a very long test ride on an open stretch achieved some good speed and then braked and surprise the problem was gone came back to the workshop finally with a solution they said it will take 10-12 day for the new drums to arrive from Pune and they will change it under warranty. Again my old drums were refitted in my car.
My car was totally dirty with bird poops , dust and muck all over the body complained about it and they gave a nice body wash free of cost a nice gesture indeed. At last got my car at 5:30 in the evening today .

Overall experience is quite satisfactory although the workshop guys are so slow that it feels like eternity to get your car repaired atleast they got the solution for my car saw two brand new jetta highlines hoisted on the lift since yesterday undergoing some suspension repairs, space is a big concern any given time 50-60 VW's are jostling for a space which also includes touaregs and phaetons . VW seriously needs to come up with more workshops to reduce the burden on the current ones atleast in the metros.

Thread Starter #13
Re: The Das Auto Chronicles - Initial Ownership Review Of My Volkswagen Vento Highlin

A quick update about the car. The car has clocked almost 2500km everything is going great the rear brakes have been changed last month and now the brakes are perfect.
Planning a 800km road trip at the end of this month will update more about the highway performance.
Also thinking of posting a 30,000 km long term review of my i20 in a separate thread

Somehow missed this thready earlier, hearty congratulations Anirban! Vento has that subtle styling which says class all over. Among the best interiors and dash. 1.6L Diesel heart is again hoot to drive. A great choice of color!

One question how is the new Vento different than the old one? I mean what are the changes?

Thread Starter #15

One question how is the new Vento different than the old one? I mean what are the changes?
The changes in the new vento as compared to the old one are:-

1.Rear parking sensors.
2.New head unit with parking sensor display.
3.USB for the audio system.
4.Black color display for head unit and ACC.
5. Steering grip.

Top Bottom