The Comparison of 'Auto Rickshaws' in India!

@ raj-

First of all I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this thread. Buddy, from where you got the idea to start such thread ?? You met some nice rickshawala or what ??

Anyways, this thread reminded me of my school days when I used to go to school by rickshaw for few years. When I was very small....or rather tiny, I was made to sit on top behind the seat with legs on backrest of regular seats [clown] & later was promoted to that small foldable wooden plank facing the regular seats. I was able to sit on regular seat not before I went in 5th grade.

I still wonder how I managed to sit on such odd locations[thinking]. Earlier it was Bajaj RE 2 stroke & later I traveled in Greaves Garuda (my entire body used to shake when rickshaw was kept on idling mode), it was the first diesel 3 seater, 3 wheeler in India, if I am right. Ofcourse, now its Ape Piaggio which is the segment leader in diesel & TVS in CNG.

Nowadays in Pune, Ape Piaggio are used a share rickshaws also called as tum-tums [lol]. Earlier it was Vikram & Minidor (Firodiya then, now Force motors). The regular rickshaws are Bajaj in petrol & LPG (it was local co. once) but in CNG, it is TVS King & I traveled in it for curiosity & found that it is the most comfortable rickshaw with good power compared to Bajaj or Ape.

@ raj, it is good that you brought up this thread....refreshed my school days memory.

Re: Pics of YOU!!

Himalayan, I love those blue autos. Actually I have been there for a month. And for four or five times I have visited regularly. I liked the place especially during winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sethu sir: blue autos? as per my knowledge autos are green & yellow in Chandigarh, black & yellow in Mohali area and yes we can also see pink autos :lol!: as well these days in Chandigarh region. I agree with you, Chandigarh is worth to visit for in winter seasons. [:D]

@Singh,

Good modeling pose man !!

@Sethu,

Oh you look more handsome than Dhoni !! Oh God by next year this photo is going to be changed where Dhoni catching Sethu with cut-out[clap]
Ha Ha. Ya it might happen. Thanks for showing much interest. But actually speaking it is too much Mr. Gurralla.

Sethu sir: blue autos? as per my knowledge autos are green & yellow in Chandigarh, black & yellow in Mohali area and yes we can also see pink autos :lol!: as well these days in Chandigarh region.

Mr. Himalayan, I was talking about autos as it in the pic. I am talking about 2009/2010. Daily I used to go in that auto to client place and return back to hotel. That was the vehicle arranged by client for me.

cth16.jpg

3408611-Auto_rickshaws_Chandigarh.jpg

Ok Ok. Really that blue autos used make your body paid. I think they used to start using a rope.

And these new autos are looking great man. are the TVS one or which make is that?

Was going through youtube & found this song- Rickshawala. It is in Marathi, choreography is crap but song is hilarious. Doodhwalyane vajawli ghanti [lol] Just watch for fun.
BTW, my Marathi is also not great but still managed to understand most of the song.

Rikshawala - YouTube

That was really hilarious friend.. Where did u got this? Is it from any movie? If it is a movie I was wondering how the entire movie would be.

If 4 wheel "autos' are included would love someone to comment on the Magic IRIS from Tata-feel it would give any of the others a run for their money[;)]-only seen some-never traveled in 1!

That was really hilarious friend.. Where did u got this? Is it from any movie? If it is a movie I was wondering how the entire movie would be.
I think it is just an album.

If 4 wheel "autos' are included would love someone to comment on the Magic IRIS from Tata-feel it would give any of the others a run for their money -only seen some-never traveled in 1!
Few days back during Ganeshutsav, I travelled in Tata Ace tempo & the ride quality was better than Omni. [lol]

What is the engine that runs on the cargo three-wheelers?

Hey guys!
Came up with another doubt, as usual!
You saw those cargo three wheelers who carry large items on that? It has those small engine (its size will be equal to a helmet) with a pepsi tin like petrol can and it is a two stroke.
Some Tamizhargale!
That three wheeler is known as Meen-Body Vandi!
What engine is that?
I asked 2 mechanics, one said its a Raliegh engine and another said its a Chetak engine with a single gear.

Mr. Himalayan, I was talking about autos as it in the pic. I am talking about 2009/2010. Daily I used to go in that auto to client place and return back to hotel. That was the vehicle arranged by client for me.

View attachment 65152

View attachment 65153
Thanks for sharing this pic Sethu Sir, i still remember travelling in this auto in my childhood and most often in ooty when we used to go from bus station to granny's place.

I loved these types more than the bajaj RE and FE was the one which i loath to greater extent for its extremely bumpy ride.

Posting some snaps of rickshaws by KAL(Kerala Automobiles Limited).The company is not much popular in its birth place-Kerala!:
View attachment 164960
I remember traveling on these rickshaws (the one in the first pic) as a kid. It was popular in kerala in 1980-90s. It had a kickstart mechanism and most of the time it won't start ever after 4-5 kicks. Then they will pull up the driver seat (where the engine was located) and do some stuff there (choke may be), phew it started!. It had a turrr-turrr sound unlike Bajaj rickshaws and many drivers were said to be using kerosene mix fuel[lol].

Last edited:

Top Bottom