The BRAKING Effect

ABS cannot be installed after market as of now.You have to buy the ABS variant.
Are you sure Sir? ABS in Ritz Vxi is an optional feature as far I remember. [cry] VXi/VDi/VXi(AT) ZXi/ZDi
Dual airbags No No Yes
Front ELR seat belts Yes Yes Yes
Rear seat belts-Side 3 point ELR, Middle lap belt Yes Yes Yes
Immobilizer (iCATS) Yes Yes Yes
Front fog lamp No Yes Yes
Rear fog lamp No Yes Yes
ABS + EBD No Opt (S-AT)

@Sidd7hartha:
ABS in Ritz is optional in case you are buying a new vehicle. This way your ABS unit will be fitted from the manufacturing factory itself. Eg- You go to buy a new car. If you choose Vxi, the dealer will get it. If you choose the Vxi ABS, the dealer would place an order with the manufacturing plant (since optional ABS models don't sell much) rather than fitting the unit at his end. [:)]

ABS, AFAIK, can be fitted as it has a separate unit which can be fitted to even the base models. The reliability and feasibility of this is not tested though. Expert modification shops would be able to do it for sure. Cost would be less than that which we pay for optional ABS in new cars (around 30k?).

There is no longer an option to buy the ABS Ritz. I know that the 2015 Swifts have ABS optional. It means that MS knew there was a problem but that's for a different discussion.
Recently when I had to open up my fusebox after blowing the cabin light fuse, I noted that the ABS fuse is available, meaning that the wiring is already in place but the components required (sensors, rotors etc) are not. Now I am no car expert but if the fuse is in place, it means that ABS can be added in. The Ritz and the Swift are mechanically the same car, so I guess this applies for both

Ameyam

A general Trend around the World is - You need atleast 25-30 Mtrs, of distance if you apply Hard brake at 80 kmph. But that further depends upon Road conditions, Break pads conditions, Tyre conditions, etc.

Disadvantages of ABS in indian roads-

Potholes.
Callliberation of ABS in potholes is in question.
If at all the tyres reach inbetween the pothole and road surface, vehicle under motion, ABS doesn't sense(Tried in Verna,Swift), the only option left with user is again press the pedal (ie,press pedal,leave again press it),then it works fine.
Actually you can keep it pressed down harder & they work instead of releasing but the pedals would have become hard.

I did some digging around and i guess its called Ice Mode,Because thats how ABS behaves on ice or snow.

Actually you can keep it pressed down harder & they work instead of releasing but the pedals would have become hard.

I did some digging around and i guess its called Ice Mode,Because thats how ABS behaves on ice or snow.
I don't have the ABS, but we can still Imitate the Action, by Pressing and releasing the Breaks. This results in better braking action , rather than pushing the breaks all the way down in single motion. , (as mentioned by some members)

I don't have the ABS, but we can still Imitate the Action, by Pressing and releasing the Breaks. This results in better braking action , rather than pushing the breaks all the way down in single motion. , (as mentioned by some members)
Well ABS comes with Electronic Brake Distribution> EBD & that has advantage of braking individual wheels to keep car on course. So i can safely say we cant imitate it any where close in conditions where grip varies from wheel to wheel. As for manual braking in non ABS cars lifting slightly off as we sense lock up helps no doubt.

As for retrofitting ABS i dont think its anywhere cheap as when choosing as option,because i read in Autocar India about a Swift owner complaining on the 50k odd bill just for the ABS sensor. If you guys really want better braking so badly my suggestion is to look at better tires with just a 1cm wider than stock size to keep weight distribution(like for example stock is 175 wide you get a tire at 185), soft tires with less tire life but better grip like Yokohama S Drive or C drive.

Top Bottom