The Big Chinese Grand Theft

Fake chinese cars

Beijing's fake cars - BBC Top Gear Australia

China is well known for its 'Shanzhai' products, i.e. their fake goods. You can get anything from fake Rolexes to imitation Prada bags.

Now, cars can also be added to the country long list of 'Shanzhai' products. Earlier this week, it was reported that a home-made Lamborghini was up for sale for $66,000.

Would you buy and drive around in one of these China cars?
-Courtesy: AsiaOne Ride | Your pitstop for transport & motoring news

The news for this Lambo goes like this:

If you're on the market for a fake Lamborghini, look no further than China. An enterprising company there is selling a Toyota-powered Murcielago lookalike for about $66,000, a mere fraction of what China's super wealthy normally pay for Lambos.

PPIt goes from 0-100 kph in about nine seconds and tops out at about 200 kph, but from several meters away it looks pretty good. Step a little closer and the discriminating Lambo ogler might notice that a few things are amiss. Like a spoiler, for instance.

PPBut if you're worried about detection, some of those little details can be taken care of for extra cost. Buy Lamborghini wheels for $7,800. Get a Lamborghini key for $1,400. Ditch the stock Toyota 2.2 liter 3S engine for something with more grunt; say, a V6 or V8 (Can you imagine seeing/hearing a Lamborghini-looking car emitting an American small block burble?).

PPIt's not clear which car the company used to make the replica, but there are people who seem to have a good head for these things in China. Hell, they're cheaper, and how many people are really going to know the difference? This Chinese copy will likely have a market in the land of the dragon, where a base Gallardo can cost more than $500,000 and an Aventador goes for almost a million.

Attachments

Re: Fake chinese cars

And there is more......

Attachments

Boss, Chinese are absolutely shameless. From toys to phones, cars to ships, buildings to bridges they can clone anything. No patent works there.
First count the number of "Made in China" products in your house and then repeat what you have written to yourselves. I am sure you'll be wanting to remove your post. Nobody is forcing Chinese products onto us. We buy them as they are cheap. So, who exactly is shameless here??

On the contrary, I'd say hats-off to the teams that are executing these replicas as some of them are so nicely copied that it could be very hard to tell which is original and which is copied.

From electronics to household products most of the products in USA and UK are outsourced from china and india, doesnt mean their products are not quality made.
As far as copying them is concerened its how their market is developed as with same looking vehicle available with their local manufacturing company at much cheaper rate, as and how market wants to.

First count the number of "Made in China" products in your house and then repeat what you have written to yourselves. I am sure you'll be wanting to remove your post. Nobody is forcing Chinese products onto us. We buy them as they are cheap. So, who exactly is shameless here??

On the contrary, I'd say hats-off to the teams that are executing these replicas as some of them are so nicely copied that it could be very hard to tell which is original and which is copied.
I agree that most of products in today's date are Made in China. But I will stick to what I said. We dont buy made in China products by choice, but we are forced to buy. e.g. the laptop which I am typing from is Made in China. And 90% of branded laptops are. We are not shameless, we are forced to be. Because no other country is into manufacturing anymore except China (and few other Asian/BRI).

Yes, they have skills for cloning, I agree to that.

From electronics to household products most of the products in USA and UK are outsourced from china and india, doesnt mean their products are not quality made.
As far as copying them is concerened its how their market is developed as with same looking vehicle available with their local manufacturing company at much cheaper rate, as and how market wants to.
I disagree to that. I have seen made in China mac-books fail faster that made in Europe ones. They try to adhere to strict QC, at end it is - Chinese.

Last edited:
I think if I would be in China, I would just close my eyes and buy one of these and then remove the LOGO, and on being asked by some one I would claimed the car as original and LOGO is stolen. No would know that I bought a cheaper version. [clap][lol]

I think if I would be in China, I would just close my eyes and buy one of these and then remove the LOGO, and on being asked by some one I would claimed the car as original and LOGO is stolen. No would know that I bought a cheaper version. [clap][lol]
True, many people I know have done it for iPhones. [clap]

Thread Starter #45
Lamborghini Urus Already in Production in China a company called Sichuan Yama built this SUV based on what's probably the platform of the Austin Rover Mastro.

The front grille and headlights are a little bit different, but the side profile, sloping roof and rear quarters are definitely inspired by the Urus.

Attachments

Top Bottom