The BHAP - My Dream Circuit! (Badami, Hampi, Aihole, Pattadakkal)

Thread Starter #1
INTRO....

Friends! Wishing you all a Happy, Prosperous and Eventful New Year!!!

I thank the TAI for giving me opportunity to share my thoughts / travel experience among like minded people!

I always prefer visiting places, especially on Road. Sitting on Front Seat (So called 'Navigator's Seat') gives immense view of the terrain ahead of the vehicle. The Driver may sure miss this opportunity.

My Few favourite historic locations are

1. Mahabalipuram.
2. Hasan & Halebid
3. Badami, Hampi, Aihole, Pattadakkal (BHAP)
4. Ajanta, Ellora
5. Kajuraho

I got an opportunity to visit BHAP in Mid April 2011. I got severe warnings not to venture because of scorching heat during that period. Two of my colleagues joined the trip also wary of the caution. However, I prevailed upon them by saying, 'Nothing equivalent to Chennai's heat'.

Probably you all may not know, Chennai has only two seasons. Summer & Peak Summer [lol]

and finally, the trip finally got materialized....

@Venakatesh: Hello Sir Welcome to TAI, i hope you are the same person from HVK sir's group.

Wish you happy stay on TAI and New Year 2012.

And waiting for the rest of your travelogue.

Even i had thought to do this trip, prior to Kanyakumari.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

Thread Starter #4
THE PRELUDE

On April 13, 2011, (Wed) Tamilnadu faced Assembly Elections. We also got leave on 14th for Ambedkar Jayanthi / Tamil New Year (Thur). So we need to manage leave on 15th & 16th (Sat is a working day for us).

We got a long week at our disposal. Destinations ranged from Ooty to Kanyakumari. I proposed this trip, which was graciously accepted with caveats on Heat!

Details of the Trip

Equipment - Toyota Innova
No of People - Three
Places Covered - Badami, Navabrindavana, Hampi, Aihole, Pattadakkal
Base - Hotel Mallige, Hospet.

Day 1 - 13/04/2011

This was Election Day. Our plan was to start immediately after exercising our constitutional right, around 8.30 AM. However, one of team member's relative got hospitalized. We need to postpone the departure to the noon. In between I made a small trip with family to Besant Nagar Beach (basically to pacify kids!)

Finally we set on the trip at 2 PM.[clap]

contd...........

Thread Starter #5
@Venakatesh: Hello Sir Welcome to TAI, i hope you are the same person from HVK sir's group.

Wish you happy stay on TAI and New Year 2012.

And waiting for the rest of your travelogue.

Even i had thought to do this trip, prior to Kanyakumari.

Thanks for all the suggestion.
Hi Mukesh! Yes the same person [:)]

Thanks for the wishes! Wishing you the same!!

Hey bro welcome to TAI , nice to see another member from Chennai! Will wait for more updates.

Thanks Cooldhaya!!!

The Roads were empty on account of Election! But, the Driver was maintaining a constant speed of 100 kmph!! For Dinner we reached Kamat Upachar (I think it is Dobbaspet). I have attached list of Kamat Upachars as displayed in another place near Sira!

We stayed at Hotel Mallige. Good but costly hotel in Hospet!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
So your ride is an Innova sir?

The windshield looks dirty, i am wondering how the driver, drove the vehicle.

I want a crystal clear glass in the night.

That's a big tour Venkatesh Krishnan,subscribing to this thread for more updates and pics.

No matter how much you clean the windshield,it becomes dirty in minutes.

Welcome Mr. Venakatesh,

So, you escaped from chennai heat last year[surprise]...
What about this year, where you planned to go?

Great Travelouge..

Continue with more Pics[:)]

Thread Starter #9
Welcome Mr. Venakatesh,

So, you escaped from chennai heat last year[surprise]...
What about this year, where you planned to go?

Great Travelouge..

Continue with more Pics[:)]
Thanks Appu!

That's a big tour Venkatesh Krishnan,subscribing to this thread for more updates and pics.
Thanks Vishwas!

So your ride is an Innova sir?

The photo was taken in the Evening with the Drive towards West! Though we clean the windshield initially, it would get dirtier immeidately.

Thread Starter #10
Day 1 - 13/04/2011

We took the following route

Chennai - NH4 - NH46 (Ranipet Junction to Krishnagiri) - NH7 - NICE - NH4 (upto Chitradurga) - NH13 to Hospet

We reached Chitradurga in the Midnight and hence could not see the famous Windmills :frown:

NH13 is a horrible stretch with heavy lorry traffic and large pot holes. Don't know the status now. Reached the Hotel around 2.30 AM.

Day 14/04/2011

This day happened to be the Tamil New Years Day! The Plan was to cover Hampi & Navabrindavana.

Weather was unexpectedly pleasent. (Lesson Learnt - Expect the unexpected!)

Had breakfast in the Hotel Mallige and proceeded towards Hampi at 9 AM.

Hospet to Hampi is about 10 KMs. Roads are Good. On the way we saw some ' Jyothi Yatra' by some young men.

We also saw a Murugan Temple in Hampi. Interestingly Hospet has lot of Tamil speaking community. We could get latest Music CDs / DVDs in the Market. There were Tamil movies running in the theatres!!

(Sorry for the Poor Quality of the Imges :frown:

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
HAMPI

Hampi, is one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India. It now houses the ruins of erstwhile Capital of Vijayanagar Empire. The City was also named after the Empire - 'Vijayanagara'. The City was said to be a thriving Business Centre about 500 years old.

It is amazing to see only the ruins. Temples are almost intact. Only Virupaksha Temple is now functioning as a Full-fledged temple. Others remain as Monuments.

The Magnificient Temple Complexes are simply awesome.

As we enter the Hampi, we were welcomed by a Entry Arch.

We went to Navabrindavana. (Updates Later - Separately)

After Navabrindavana, we went to Vitthala Temple, Rajagopuram in a ruined state. It is a Monument. No worship is taking place.The Carvings in the Panels are superb and still alive. The Famous Ratha - supposed to House 'Garuda' - The carrier of Lord Vishnu. You will find Garuda Statues in front of the sanctum sanctorum and near 'Dwajasthambha' of every Vishnu Temple.
(Similarly Nandhi in Shiva Temples.)

Attachments

Top Bottom