The Basic Guide To Road Safety in India

To obtain a license here in USA, we need to know the distance at which our vehicles stops at a give speed. Their manuals of law and safety are way ahead from us.

The other important thing while driving are, (Excuse me, if they are mentioned earlier already)
1. Always check your blindspot by turning to your shoulder before changing lanes.
2. Give right of way for pedestrians.
3. Always use proper indicator before taking right or left
4. Switch on your hazard lights when your vehicle breaks down. No matter if it is day or night. If it breaks down in a curve, make all possible things to inform the oncoming traffice about your broken vehicle on the curve.
5. Never overtake on left in India. No matter even if a slow truck is blocking.
6. No high beams under city limit
7. No reversing on highway
8. If you want to turn right, stay in right lane and vic versa.
9. Keep your hands at 10-2 '0 clock position on steering wheel
10. The distance between you and steering wheel should be from your shulder to wrist.
11. In a curve, slow on entering the curve and then accelerates. You should not enter fast on curves and break in between.
12. Don't drive continuosly for longer. I take a mandatory break afer 2 hrs in a long drive.
13. No stepping on gas above speed limit
14. Keep safe distance between vehicles and always aware of all vehicles position around you. Keep scanning your mirrors.

Above all drive safe and break anything above mentioned if you can save a life.

This is very useful information you shared about rad safety & rules. thanks for sharing this useful knowledge & improving the awareness among society. You explain all the important information about road safety very nicely. Thanks again for posting this thread.

I am not sure whether this has been discussed before but I think it's appropriate for this thread.

If someone you are very close to or emotionally involved with (parents, son, brother, sister, wife, husband, etc.) passes away, please do NOT drive to that place alone. I would go so far as to say that unless you find 2 people who are not emotionally involved, opt for public transport.

Even if you find someone who's not too close to the situation, your emotional state will affect the driver. If you find 2 people, then they can sit in the front and you at the back.

Although, the best choice would be to take a cab, auto, train or plane.

Useful Safety Tips - Quick Reference Guide

Hi guys!

Its just my 2nd post here, and I feel that I have certain useful information to share to you all, so that we can change the driving scene in India and hopefully many people will read this & comment on the same as I write this with good intent. OK right off the bat let me tell you I'm not a slow driver, I like to indulge, have a little fun, enjoy the ride.. enjoy the music & feel as if I'm connected to the machine. Emotional drivers will understand what I mean. Nevertheless, I have seen what happens when others make a mistake. It may not be our fault but sometimes people like to blame you when it's clearly them cutting you off, or encroaching in your rightful lane. The hallmark of a good driver is not making a mistake & allowing for others "rashness" too, our ego will not permit us to make a mistake & so for that I give you quick points which anyone can brush up regularly.

1. Always use bluetooth headset/built in bluetooth when in the car. Always pair up. You need the hands to enjoy the steering wheel more.

2. Preferably switch off the phone when in drive mode, for those who might say its impossible, think about it? Its only 30-60 mins on average, so if possible put your worries of lifting a call/msg at ease and enjoy the drive.

Note : Use of phones distract the mind and make your reflexes 40% slower even in handsfree mode. Using hands is akin to sabotaging yourself. Remember others want a peaceful ride as much as you, so would you like it if someone else made that mistake and affected you?

3.Use seatbelts always, in all the seats.

4.If affordable drive a model with 2 airbags, 6 preferable, if you can stretch that budget a little more. Safety is the hallmark of a good car. Also check Euro-NCAP tests for safety online before looking at a model.

5.This is from pure experience that I say, never change lanes suddenly, never THINK of turning that steering before giving signal in advance. This is very prevalent in India and must be stopped.

6.Honk only if you are sure the vehicle ahead is driving slow or not allowing you to pass. If that vehicle is acting that way because of another in front leave it be. Honking creates tension to self and to the other. Always try to leave over 2 feet of room with the vehicle left of you as in India they always swoop towards right and I hate it!!!

7.In India (correct me if wrong), I feel on average this should be the speed-to-lane rule in 90% of the roads : 50+ kph - Rightmost/ 30-50 kph - Middle /
Under 30 - Leftmost. Maintain this and honking and lane changes might stop. Of course the above speeds can drop over 50% in jams but the ratio can be maintained depending on how you like to drive.

8.Never keep eye contact with any vehicle and trust me on this. Only do so to indicate something like a flat tyre or to ask to give way. This intrusive/threatening manner must stop in India

9.Never open doors/windows when someone knocks. Even if they say there is money on the ground or if they purposely try to lure you out. Its never for the right reason. Keep central locks on always.

10.Never choreograph your feet to the sound of music when driving. You dont suddenly dance when walking on the road with earphones do you? Or do you jump up from the sofa to the sound of Mtv and jiggle? So why do it when driving? Music is isolated from speed and you train yourself to know it.

Many of you may already know most of these things but I just felt like contributing what I know here and if it helps even 1 person Im happy. I just wish more people would drive knowing they are entitled to their space but also be aware that their mistakes affect others. A perfect driver is one who realises he wouldn't want to do the same "small errors" that he would hate to be a victim of.

As a parting note, yes jaywalking is irritating and rampant and we all hate it! But I sometimes cross (carefully) and wish a vehicle or 2 will show consideration and slow down a bit, rather than flash lights and speed up and scare me. So I always do what I wish for, even for the most careless jaywalker. Note for pedestrians : DON'T JAYWALK!!

Last edited:
Under the driver sheet we should not keep any water bottles while driving, because there are some chances that bottle will roll up to the brake pedal or clutch pedal when we put a hard brake while driving.

So Please keep away the bottles below the driver seat.

Last edited:
Re: Useful Safety Tips - Quick Reference Guide

Hi guys!

Its just my 2nd post here, and I feel that I have certain useful information to share to you all, so that we can change the driving scene in India and hopefully many people will read this & comment on the same as I write this with good intent. OK right off the bat let me tell you I'm not a slow driver, I like to indulge, have a little fun, enjoy the ride.. enjoy the music & feel as if I'm connected to the machine. Emotional drivers will understand what I mean. Nevertheless, I have seen what happens when others make a mistake. It may not be our fault but sometimes people like to blame you when it's clearly them cutting you off, or encroaching in your rightful lane. The hallmark of a good driver is not making a mistake & allowing for others "rashness" too, our ego will not permit us to make a mistake & so for that I give you quick points which anyone can brush up regularly.

1. Always use bluetooth headset/built in bluetooth when in the car. Always pair up. You need the hands to enjoy the steering wheel more.........
That's a nice, exhaustive list. While I am careful about most things like mobile phones/ indications while changing lanes/ no sudden steering inputs/ minimum honking etc, my area of concern, and, saying candidly, what I many times succumb to, is .... aggressive posturing/ eye contact etc. [evil] Really requires a lot of self control to walk away when you know the other guy deserves a bashing for his stupidity. But then, I guess it is a sign of maturity to maintain your cool and WALK AWAY!! Easier said than done (again, saying out of experience) but, nevertheless, very important. We must all make efforts to do that. If that and consideration for the fellow motorist becomes ingrained in us, driving can become a lot better and safer experience in India even with the existing infrastructure.

And, another important thing that we lack in India is maintaining lanes and leaving some space to the left and right of each vehicle rather than being packed like sardines on roads. Five cars abreast in three lanes is a common site in Delhi! Throw in a few autorickshaws and two wheelers into the melee and its a fishmarket!! And then tempers start rising leading to aggression and so on...

Help required !!!

Dear All,
We are Lps safety team. i.e Laxman Public School (Hauz Khas, New Delhi),
Road Safety team. As part of an on going road safety campaign in our school we have started a blog on encouraging safer road practices, please all who can are requested to visit and comment in our blog, to make our efforts a success... Thank You !!!

S 'n' M

safenmob.blogspot.in

[drive]:help: :please:

Re: Help required !!!

My best wishes for the campaign guys.

I tried to comment on your blog but there seems to be some technical issue.

I particularly likes the second (skull) poster and the last one on how to wear helmet.

The Yamraj one doesn't strike the message, rather it looks funny.
I could not understand the Superman poster.

You need to bring more posters and ideas to bring visibility and attention of the campaign. Best of luck from our members on this forum.

Hey friends. I got this video from FB and it is really good. Every one must see it

By and large, Indians are a God-fearing and superstitious lot. Zara, a popular Tapas Bar in Chennai, in association with Chennai Traffic Police decided to address drunken driving (responsible for 70% of road fatalities in India), by leveraging the above said mindset of indians.

Yama, the God of Death from Hindu mythology was used to drive home the message, quietly arriving in the patron's car when the valet brought it back. Seeing the God of Death as a wake-up call, most patrons who experienced the live stunt opted to use the drivers-for-hire service.

Yamaraj - Drink and Get Driven - YouTube

Sethu sir,
A very nice video, i am sure any one facing this type of live stunts will prefer to use drivers for hire service, and these type of messages should be promoted.
Thanks for sharing this video

Sethu sir,
A very nice video, i am sure any one facing this type of live stunts will prefer to use drivers for hire service, and these type of messages should be promoted.
Thanks for sharing this video
Welcome Jayesh.

Actually I wanted to go have some nice time with friends. I hate to go by auto/bus. But do not want to put my sparky in trouble because of my bad habit. Just thought of this i had avoided so many occasions [Good that my health is safe hehe]

Yes it is very good promotion. I will keep sharing this video in FB. So that it will reach so many people.

How is this guys.. This is a notice issued long long ago in Chennai. Just replace cycle with any motor this will suit for most of the points except few.

539708_432638136814305_1166181313_n.jpg

551420_432638313480954_1885498664_n.jpg

How is this guys.. This is a notice issued long long ago in Chennai. Just replace cycle with any motor this will suit for most of the points except few.
on those days cycles are more in comparison to bikes and cars;

nowadays we still found cycles on roads because of fitness freaks and free cycle offered by government

Top Bottom