The Automotive Scene In India

Thread Starter #1
Guys/Ladies
Just joined & would to like to post some comments/express my views about the driving automotive scene in India. Don't no how many of you are with me but just to send out feelers I will post a few questions & let us discuss things out and share our views.
1. What do you think about the Indian Car Scene today ?
2. What do you think is the average car value undersatnding in India ?
3. How do most people choose their car in India ?
4. How good are the roads in India ?
5. How good is the understanding of traffic rules in India ?
6. How often do YOU break traffic rules ?
7. What do you think about automobiles/car prices in India ?
8. Do we understand the categories the vehicles are sold in India ?
9. Last but not least----what should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India ?

There are many more but for the time being lets live with this----we keep talking trying to make India a better driving place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

350Z

Core Team
Hello alatul,

A warm welcome to you in The Automotive India, Enjoy your stay.

Now, My answers to your questions :

Its not really upto the mark, However, Slowly but steadily its improving and car makers are looking forward to step into India and make it as their hub.

For few, They are just a tin on 4 wheels which helps to take from point A to point B and for others like us its much more than that!

We have different people with different needs. Some need cars as their status symbol and some need them for cargo puposes.Lol

Currently Hatchback segment is the hottest here with new launches now and then[Check Indian Car Scene Section]

One Word : PATHETIC!!

Most people lack the driving sense.

The Automotive India also took an Initiative few months back to teach them by organising a "Road Safety Week" in April this year which was covered by media as well.

We have plans to organize such more events in near future.

For me, Its Never! Don't know about rest.

Some cars are priced down to earth with loads of features [Eg; Maruti SX4, dZire, Fiat Linea, Mahindra Xylo etc] and some are costly at the extreme! [Eg; Chevy SR-V, Skoda Fabia, Nissan X-Trail etc]

Yes we do.

9. Last but not least, what should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India ?
Currently, It is 18 before you can "officialy" apply for license.

All the best,
350Z

Last edited:
Hi Alatul !

Welcome to TAI & have a great stay.

My response for your questions

Indian Car Scene is pretty Good & But i am still looking forward for few more Giants to ppep into Indian Market.

On an average i can say Car is just an Commutable interface. But for few its life, for few its fun, and for me its everything!!

Most people choice go with Fuel Economy, thats why we have lot of 800s & Altos still selling ! For few its status Symbol.

I will not say the roads are really up to the mark. There is still lot of things which has to be done across INDIA!

This is one major area where everyone has to think about! I don't feel INDIAN Rules are upto mark of the International Standards.

Most of the times, we dont break it.

Pricing is one area, which all companies has to concentrate on. I can say it is a mix of everything. few cars are really priced low & few cars are over priced.

Ya. Atleast me a lot!!

9. Last but not least----what should be the minimum qualification of the applicant of a valid vehicle driver in India ?
Currently its 16/18 for MCWG & All others. I would say, it can be 18 for all types.

hi buddy, my reply in bold:

Guys/Ladies

i am a guy!

very bad! its actually jealousy when i see people in other countries driving such exotic cars at half the price i paid for my scorpio.

it is synonymous with its resale value here!

first - FE
second - good & cheap service
third - good brand name

roads? what roads? there are no roads in india. the only time we hear or talk about roads is when we pay road taxes & tolls.

5. How good is the understanding of traffic rules in India ?]

again- rules? what rules? there are no rules in india. (actually there are, but drivers make their own rules. the only rule religiously followed here is that the mighty one wins!)

here, india is much ahead than other countries. nobody breaks traffic rules here as nobody follows traffic rules in the first place!

hmmm... after buying a scorpio, for the same price, i could have bought a CRV in dubai. you guess how i feel!

yes, many do. the normal public are aware of the following categories:
1) 2 wheelers
2) 3 wheelers
3) 4 wheelers
4) trucks
5) tractor trailers
6) wooden wheelers (bullock carts)
7) zero emission 2 wheelers (hand carts & cycles)

i dont care even if he is a school drop out, but he should have brains & not nuts, he should have patience & not arrogance, he should have respect & not pride.

There are many more but for the time being lets live with this----we keep talking trying to make India a better driving place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys/Ladies
guy here.
Just joined & would to like to post some comments/express my views about the driving automotive scene in India. Don't no how many of you are with me but just to send out feelers I will post a few questions & let us discuss things out and share our views.
well its improving but not if you compare to other countries where quality and safety features are first priority with affordable pricing which is not in indian car scene.
its firstly for resale value, other things comes after this priority.
well resale value as i said earlier, along with good FE are main priorityes along with minimum knowledge of that vehicle, just what people buys around you has to be good and others follows that trend, which maruti is perfect example.
hmm, where are the roads infact, no things are improving but a long long time to say yes we are developed.
well rules in india are not meant to follow, people create their own rules and authorities follow them.
15 years of driving and havent broke any till now, but still main criteria still remains there are no rules to be broken as nobody follows it, nor there;s anyway government follows to make people more aware of rules and to follow them.

the price we pay for cars here, same price in other countries gets youbetter car with better features and safety values.
Well Raj described this section perfectly, nothing more to add.

i dont think one needs minimum qualification if he is sensible enough to understand its vehicle and doesnt showoff his ownership, doesnt take roads as drifts section and creates mess around, educated enough to understand this.

Welcome onboard mate.Nice post.

Guys/Ladies

0. Guy Here
1. Its improving, but needs to go a very long way and lots more variety is begged for.
2. Only as a transport from one place to another in more comfort than public transport. Status symbol of owning a car is also there.
3. Cut-throat pricing, good aftersales, lots of features( though they donot understand half of them ), fuel economy, looks.
4. Will tell you after I see some proper roads in the country other than high speed corridors. Even there, cows walk without any sense.
5. Most know about the rules, but no one follows them because it suits them to cut lanes, jump signals, turn without signalling, etc. There is no enforcement of rules done either. So, a very dismal status.
6. I don't wish to. But then, you can't be sane in a jungle, can you?
7. Depends upon the brand and engine and legnth of the car, thanks to the smart government's smart policies. We are having to drive big cars with small engines to suit tax breaks.
8. Yeah, 2-wheelers, car, jeep, van, truck, bus, lorry, rickshaw...ain't that enough?
9. Age doesn't matter if the person is sane and can see everything on the road and passes strict PRACTICAL examination like the pattern followed in the western countries.

Top Bottom