The 1986 Premier Padmini Deluxe

Thanks a lot, any enthusiast other than me would have done the same to same to save it from dying to rust.

I think 165/65R14 will be very low in terms of Tyre wall height, the Swift tyres are having aspect ratio of 165/80 still ride height is a bit lower. I'm not sure which spark plug wasn't working, the spark plug was the culprit though as on installation of new plugs all cylinders were working and I tested it using a litre of petrol in a bottle, it's FE almost doubled. There was a lot of petrol on all four plugs, I guess cos of carb setting too rich.
http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm
The radial type equivalent tyres for the 5.2" - 14 bias ply are listed here. Coincidentally the Wagon R Stingray comes with 155/65/R14 which is more or less a close match for 5.2-14 without compromising on the steering effort. Asked about the sparkplug because it will indicate if engine oil is getting into the combustion chamber through the valve seal or piston ring.

Thread Starter #18
http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm
The radial type equivalent tyres for the 5.2" - 14 bias ply are listed here. Coincidentally the Wagon R Stingray comes with 155/65/R14 which is more or less a close match for 5.2-14 without compromising on the steering effort. Asked about the sparkplug because it will indicate if engine oil is getting into the combustion chamber through the valve seal or piston ring.
I will check again with new plugs and get back, as of now I'm a bit busy with exams so unable to give time to the car.

Yes it is dear. I use same for my Ivtec City.

Pics for your help!

View attachment 157731

View attachment 157732

Regards

Akash
Thanks a LOT @akash1886 sir, It is really helpful.

Thread Starter #19
Took it out for a small spin day before yesterday and battery died suddenly, The Dynamo isn't working and I m planning to swap it with alternator setup, is it doable? If so, what else other than alternator do I need?

Thanks in Advance

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Took it out for a small spin day before yesterday and battery died suddenly, The Dynamo isn't working and I m planning to swap it with alternator setup, is it doable?
Rahul, you may surely use an alternator in the Premier Padmini. I clearly remember having it in my FIAT too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #21
Rahul, you may surely use an alternator in the Premier Padmini. I clearly remember having it in my FIAT too.

Regards

Akash
I searched different forums and came to know that it's a direct fit to PP from PP S1 models and 118NE. One more query, In case my car battery discharges, what is the probability of it going kaput?
Can you please guide me on tuning the carb, the spark plug showed that car was running too rich. BTW, it uses a Solex Downdraft carburetor.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
One more query, In case my car battery discharges, what is the probability of it going kaput?
Asked my dad, he told, alternator is provided for generation of current. In case the battery gets out then starting the vehicle will be an issue however, once the vehicle is started by pushing it then the alternator shall work and shall charge the battery dear.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #23
Some more pics of the car [:)]

First of all please don't curse me for not cleaning the car, it's in exactly the same condition we bought it.... Okay... Slightly better condition since my exams are going on and car will be worked upon soon including new paintjob and other things.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #24
Hi dear TAIns,
First of all I would like to apologize for my absence from the thread as I was busy with my Engineering exams. My PP finally while bringing home from Garage after a mild wash (not a through wash as they didn't have greasing facility),I and Azim were inside the car while my bike was being rode by Vinay Pal, I was on the wheel and felt like car was misfiring. We knew car has a kaput battery so it would be a pain to stall in traffic and my fears came true. Engine died suddenly and soon the battery too, I thought it was a battery issue at first so tried to push start the car but no use, later I came to to know that ignition coil had failed after I removed a plug from spark plug hole and cranked the engine. There was no spark at all. Luckily we were just 1km from my place and somehow pushed it for 100m and than it rolled downhill with engine off. I got A MARUTI 800 IGNITION COIL the next day and installed it today and bang, the car started in half a crank.
Now a few queries :
1)PP exhaust is broken /deformed as a result of rust , what replacement exhausts are available in the market?
I would like to know the near exact fuel economy of PP.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi dear TAIns,
First of all I would like to apologize for my absence from the thread as I was busy with my Engineering exams.
Now a few queries :
1)PP exhaust is broken /deformed as a result of rust , what replacement exhausts are available in the market?
I would like to know the near exact fuel economy of PP.
Hey Rahul, I hope your exams went well! Stock Exhaust could be found either with scrap dealer if he has any car or in whole-sale car market.

Why not go for a performance exhaust?[;)] As of I remember, my car use to give 13-14 km/L at time of selling in 2006. It had Maruti carburetor.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #26
Hey Rahul, I hope your exams went well! Stock Exhaust could be found either with scrap dealer if he has any car or in whole-sale car market.

Why not go for a performance exhaust?[;)] As of I remember, my car use to give 13-14 km/L at time of selling in 2006. It had Maruti carburetor.

Regards

Akash
I would for sure like to have a performance exhaust , any suggestions for it, any particular brand? [:D] We have a Gypsy Carburetor with us, unused, any possibilities of plonking it on the existing intake manifold. What Jets should I use for the carb if I use another carburetor?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hey..thats a very good job you guys are doing.Its never anything more exciting than restoring a good car.As you are a student try to keep yourself limited to 2nd hand parts in working conditions as that would be cheaper.An old aged car demands more attention and burns the pocket in initial days.All the best and keep posting.

Thread Starter #29
Well Rahul my City IVtec has the Nitto Stainless Steel Exhaust and the note is good enough for me. Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5TbGAosG0

As for the carburetor, my one had the Maruti 800 wala setup!

Regards

Akash
Thanks for that video, the car sounds pretty cool, wondering what a PP would sound like with that exhaust, it already roars.

Hey..thats a very good job you guys are doing.Its never anything more exciting than restoring a good car.As you are a student try to keep yourself limited to 2nd hand parts in working conditions as that would be cheaper.An old aged car demands more attention and burns the pocket in initial days.All the best and keep posting.
Thank you sir, We have bought almost 90% parts from scrapyard and 'chor bazars' [:)], it indeed is a cheaper and better alternative for classic cars.

PS: My exhaust which is already having four to five leaks on pipe, is exhaling white smoke, somewhat like steam, very little while running and a lot of it when revved in neutral or clutch pressed. I guess it to be a faulty cylinder head gasket, can it be any other issue other than that?
Thanks

Top Bottom