The “Suggest Me New Mobile Phone” Thread

350Z

Core Team
Hi folks. I’ve been using Moto Z2 Play and was fond of Motorola brand. However, unlike previous experience, this one didn’t turn out to be as sweet. So I’m looking for (untimely) switch. Please recommend a new cell in the range of Rs.30K. I might keep it for 4-5 Years, so the device should be reliable and age-well. I’m not inclined towards Chinese brands except OnePlus. How is OnePlus 7T? Does it make sense to buy a year-old model now?
Hi folks. A sudden twist in the tale. I decided to ditch OnePlus altogether. Moreover, I was in urgent need of a cell, so delay in Nord’s launch didn’t help either. I was virtually left with Samsung. Some ongoing discounts did help so I ended up getting Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Lite. It’s been a pleasant experience so far. I’m still exploring it though. I'll share a quick review after sometime. Thanks for the help @allhyundaicars, @TSIVipul and @Nairrk.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Congratulation on your new purchase. Please do post some screenshots of the new phone, when you have time (I know you are still experiencing with the handset and its features [thumbswink]) .

I too am contemplating on a new Phone. my requirements below
1. Should not be Chinese ( I know all phones parts are made in china, but still let the phone company owner be a non Chinese entity)
2. Should be not more than 15K
3. pure android (if I am divulging sharing my details , let me share it with Sundar Pichai and not with Xi and his gangs)
4. I would prefer good build for the phone and would love a glass back
5. Ram 4 gb or more
6 Storage 64 GB, expandable is good to have feature.
7. 4G handset.
8. Decent camera set up I don't want any 100 MP camera or 10 cameras at the back one for macro one for zoom and one for wide-angle whereby I take picture of Saturns rings with ultra detail ;)

Phew, any other specification I have missed?
Hello vikyjoshiji,

You may also want to check Nokia phones. They are good too. I'm using 8.1 since last 1 year without any issue. I believe Nairji also using Nokia 7.1 if I'm correct.
I think for around 15k, you can check 7.2 - https://www.reliancedigital.in/nokia-7-2-64-gb-4-gb-ram-charcoal-smartphone/p/491614985 (Just 2k more)
Fits almost all your criterias above [:)]

For me stock android experience is very good, regular updates, very good build quality, awesome camera quality are the plus points for Nokia (8.1 in my case). Not sure about the service though, thankfully did not have to face it yet. :)

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I believe Nairji also using Nokia 7.1 if I'm correct.
Yes, I have been using the Nokia 7.1 since last one year or so. The phone is very good (and strong too - already fallen down 3/4 times from the table, but nothing happened so far, not even a small scratch).

Two things I didn't like on this handset:
1) Heating while charging, but it seems now the heat is much reduced, maybe after latest update from Nokia.
2) Charging cable - Its not international size. I cannot use the cable for any other phone also other phone chargers will not fit on this one (so If I have to carry two phones, i.e Nokia and other brand handset, then I have to carry two sets of charging cables. I don't know about other Nokia models on this?

Yes, I have been using the Nokia 7.1 since last one year or so. The phone is very good (and strong too - already fallen down 3/4 times from the table, but nothing happened so far, not even a small scratch).

Two things I didn't like on this handset:
1) Heating while charging, but it seems now the heat is much reduced, maybe after latest update from Nokia.
2) Charging cable - Its not international size. I cannot use the cable for any other phone also other phone chargers will not fit on this one (so If I have to carry two phones, i.e Nokia and other brand handset, then I have to carry two sets of charging cables. I don't know about other Nokia models on this?
I think it has type-c port, that's why it won't fit on other phones. It will fit on phones with type-c port only. Same is with my 8.1 too.

Hello vikyjoshiji,

You may also want to check Nokia phones. They are good too. I'm using 8.1 since last 1 year without any issue. I believe Nairji also using Nokia 7.1 if I'm correct.
I think for around 15k, you can check 7.2 - https://www.reliancedigital.in/nokia-7-2-64-gb-4-gb-ram-charcoal-smartphone/p/491614985 (Just 2k more)
Fits almost all your criterias above [:)]

For me stock android experience is very good, regular updates, very good build quality, awesome camera quality are the plus points for Nokia (8.1 in my case). Not sure about the service though, thankfully did not have to face it yet. :)
I have stalled the purchase of new phone as of now, since my Chinese phone is still working. However, that change is imminent and have decided to go for Nokia 7.2 or any other model which will have a glass back ( I love the glass back, call it Glass Feitish ) and 4 GB ram, with Decent processor and Chip. Camera is immaterial but Nokia cameras are good so thats "Sone pe suhaga". Mostly will get it around Diwali when newer models may be launched.
Else if my Chinese phone dies, then will have to go for new phone earlier...

I have stalled the purchase of new phone as of now, since my Chinese phone is still working. However, that change is imminent and have decided to go for Nokia 7.2 or any other model which will have a glass back ( I love the glass back, call it Glass Feitish ) and 4 GB ram, with Decent processor and Chip. Camera is immaterial but Nokia cameras are good so thats "Sone pe suhaga". Mostly will get it around Diwali when newer models may be launched.
Else if my Chinese phone dies, then will have to go for new phone earlier...
Awesome. There are some Nokia phones which will be relesing soon here like 5.3, 7.3, 8.3 etc.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
My Nokia 7.1 battery is dead (exactly after 2 years) and I have replaced it, but the new one is heating too much and too fast. I think, it's time to change it.
I thought of buying Samsung S10E or Samsung S10 or One plus Nord. The Amazon Independence day sale is starting from 19th Jan and I want to use the discounts available during this season.

Any one using Samsung S10E or S10 or One plus Nord, if yes please give your opinions ?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Thinking of changing my Oneplus8.
I have shortlisted Realme gt2 pro(33k) and Xiaomi 12 pro(47k) which a shop suggested.
Do you have any other suggestions? Need a phone with good battery backup, no Samsung phones and top-of-the-line chipset.

Do you have any other suggestions? Need a phone with good battery backup, no Samsung phones and top-of-the-line chipset.
Both of your models are pretty good in their own front. I also suggest you look at Moto Moto Edge 30 Ultra which is set for ₹50K on Flipkart this week.
Also, Xiaomi 12 Pro will be sold for 45K on Amazon with additional card discounts to bring down even further.

I am no more a fan of One Plus phones as they have moved on far away from their original moto.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Thank you for your suggestions. I dropped Realme gt2 pro after checking it at their store and going through many reviews.
Like @Prabhagar - I too have moved on from Oneplus. They have also deteriorated their quality. My phone's USB jack is busted with just 2 years of usage and my old Oneplus 5T is still doing great. This USB problem is why i am thinking of getting a new phone. it will cost 2000 to get that fixed plus I don't know what other issues crop up.( my phone fell and a biker went over it. I had to replace the front screen, back panel plus the frame 3 months back)
Is it safe to go with Motorola?[think]
I liked the Xiaomi 12 pro but it has a camera lens fogging issue. Do you think they fixed the problem with the new units?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
My suggestion for you is to go to some shop and personally see the phones and do a comparison between Moto Edge 30 Ultra and Xiaomi 12 pro.

Here one more review on Moto Edge 30 ultra

Top Bottom