Test Driven - New Wagon-R. The Blue Eyed Boy.

Thread Starter #1
Car tested - Maruti Suzuki WagonR
Model – Vxi ABS

Exterior – The new WagonR has a bit different look from the older version, but the new car is not just a facelift . In fact it is an improvised and a classy touch which has been added to this tall boy. Headlamps which look a bit similar to the bigger Suzuki Grand Vitara give an attitude to the overall face. The “Blue Eyes” which are basically the blue tinted parking lamps which make the tall boy now a blue eyed boy. Grille too is bigger and better than the previous version and has been well designed to fit with the headlamps to give a bigger look.

The rear does have some resemblance with the older WagonR. The way in which the rear lamps have been designed is great. The boot door now carries a chrome garnishing with the tall boys name on it. The VXi model which was tested carried rear wash n wipe feature which is available in almost all hatch(top end models) .The boot integrated high mount stop lamp is same as seen on the older version.
Overall the rear is not as new as the front.
Move to the side of WagonR, you can see the longer nose which gives the car the look of a bigger hatch.

Interior - As you enter the New WagonR, that’s the moment you feel the change. The interiors of this new car is completely different from the older version. From dash to the music system, everything is new in this car. The dash looks awesome with the new In dash Music Syatem which carried all features like USB, AuxIn, Cd, MP3, FM etc, but sadly no Bluetooth connectivity could be seen. The Instrument cluster with chrome lipped dials and orange glow gives a fresh feel to eyes. The upholstery is dual tone and the quality of plastics been used looks to be good when compared to the previous version. The steering wheels looks like a typical Suzuki which is carried by all the Suzukis these days.

Coming to the comfort, this is the only maruti which I find ideal for the 6fters+(Like me). Headroom is ample at front and rear. Driver seats still don’t have the height adjustment option which could have been added.
The thigh support, legroom is adequate. Tilt steering drives more comfortable, Glove box is big enough to keep your small bits. One thing which I found great was the tray under the codriver seat which can be used for carrying some bigger items(which you don’t intend to keep in your dickey) like laptops. Air Conditioner is very effective and cools up the cabin quite quickly.

Engine And Transmission
The New WagonR carries the same heart as of its sibling A Star. The EUROIV K10 engine which generates a power of 68BHP which is quite enough for racing through the traffic.
The Transmission has improved to a great extent. The smooth gear shifts add pleasure to the drive.

Specifications -
Price Range (in lakhs)* -
Ex-showroom Price Rs 3.60 lakh (estimated, ex-showroom, Delhi)

ENGINE
Fuel Petrol Type 3-cyl, in-line, 998cc Installation Front, transverse, front-wheel drive Bore/stroke 73/79.5mm Power 67bhp at 6200rpm Torque 9.17kgm at 3500rpm Power to weight 77.90bhp per tonne

Transmission
Type Manual Gearbox 5-speed
Chassis & Body

Length 3595mm Width 1495mm Height 1700mm Wheel Base 2400mm Boot Volume 180 litres Ground Clearance 165mm Weight 860 kg Tyres 145/80 R13 tubeless Spare Full size

Steering
Type Power Power steering Type of power assist Electronic power steering

Brakes
Front Ventilated discs Rear Drums

Economy
Overall 18.9 kpl (company claimed) Tank size 35 litres

Safety
The New WagonR come with an optional ABS+Airbags option which is around Rs. 30000/- costlier than the VXi.

In nutshell, it can be said that the New WagonR is not just a facelift but a new generation which is a VFM package.

Some Pics.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
As far as the braking is concerned, it has improved a lot with ABS which is quite responsive. It gives you a feel that high speeds can be controlled with ease.
Combined with a smooth and refined gear box, the drive and handling is at its best. With a bit bigger shoes the cornering can be improved. overall the handling is good, and with ABS, its safer too.
About the visibility, it is almost same as in older WagonR since the shape is not much different from the older model.

Last edited:
Hey good report Akash , the blue eyed boy is surely a VFM package and looks a lot better than the previous model!

But visibility i heard that the new WagonR has a raised dashboard and so it affects the visibility for short drivers??

And oh there are body kits in the top-end model too??

Thread Starter #6
@Ilango,cooldhaya,crazycat- Thanks guys.

I cant comment on the visibility for short drivers, but yes the dash has been raised considerably.
The skirts are just for display and not the part of standard equipment in any of the variant.

Good work Akash.

And the steering cover is OE or custom made, the finishing looks pathetic to me.
Otherwise, great car for its value.

Thread Starter #9
@RSM- The steering cover is not an OE. just put by the dealer since the car is driven by number of people being a test car. The same type of cover was there on all the test cars.

@Ilango- Even here they displayed the same skirted VXi. But those are just for enhancing the looks and attracting people.

350Z

Core Team
Well written review Akash and good pictures too. The side skirts are an optional fitment I guess and you can see them in most of the Marut Suzuki Demo model which is done to make it look sporty, thus attracting the audience, As you said already. I can see the stalls and other Maruti cars parked behind, So did MSIL guys came somewhere near to your place?

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Even I've not spotted any of New Wagon-R on Delhi roads yet but Yes, Just next day after launch when I went to showroom, I noticed a good crowd of people who came especially to check this car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hmmm but new WagonR is seen on roads in Chennai here! Infact one of my friend is selling his Alto and most probably going for this car only!

Thread Starter #14
Well written review Akash and good pictures too. The side skirts are an optional fitment I guess and you can see them in most of the Marut Suzuki Demo model which is done to make it look sporty, thus attracting the audience, As you said already. I can see the stalls and other Maruti cars parked behind, So did MSIL guys came somewhere near to your place?

Drive Safe,
350Z
An event was organised by MSIL for testing the driving skills of the candidates participating in 3 basic driving tests. One was 8formation,ZigZag, and the water spill test.

In 8 formation test, the candidate had to drive on the track(which had the shape of 8). Winner was to be decided on the amount of time required to cover the distance.
Fortunately i was the quickest one with a record time of 20sec[:)]

In the ZigZag race the track had short checkpoints in the middle and the participant had to drive the car in a ZigZag fashion in minimum amount of time.
Again i completed this race in minimum time of 23.17sec which was the minimum uptill that time.

For both the event i had New WagonR as my car.

The third was the water spill test. In this the candidate had to drive an Omni with a water filled glass on its dash board. Unfortunately i got disqualified even before i could cover half the distance.

The event was organised in Nagpur which is about 70km from my residence.
After completion of this event i requested the guy to give me some time for a thorough test drive of the test car and also click some pics. I mentioned them that i am a member of TAI and the report will feature on the site. Though they had not heard about our forum(thats not surprising, they dont even know abt their products), but i introduced them to our forum by giving them all details of our Forum.
So this was how i got the TD of the new WagonR.

The Omni test must be really difficult. And any prize for the winners in three tests??
And I have started spotting many new Wagon R's in my hometown in Kerala.

Top Bottom