Technical Query Regarding F-150 ('06)

Thread Starter #1
Hi all, I have an '06 F-150, 6 cyl. 55K miles. Started running rough last couple of days, hesitant on accel, I even had a couple of backfires, engine light on. Came up w/ a combo of codes p0171- system lean bank 1 and and P0316 - misfire on startup. Coil and battery both check out good. It's been recommended I start with giving the injectors a good cleaning. 55k seems a little too soon for new plugs or wires, or am I wrong? Any ideas helpful. thanks.

Yes, cleaning the injectors is a good idea.

Also the problem is due to the spark plugs, try cleaning them and reusing them.If that doesn't work change the plug wires.55k kms is more than enough time for the plugs and wires to go bad.

If you have not yet changed the oil and other filters(oil/fuel/air)change them.Get your radiator and engine flushed before adding new oil and coolant respectively.

Refer to your owners manual for service intervals on various parts and consumables

Last edited:
The Codes stated the following

P0171:The mass air flow sensor has developed a problem and needs replacing.This is cause the bank 1(v6 has two banks of 3 cylinders each-Bank 1 has cylinder number 1 in it)to run a lean mixture of fuel.When you change the sensor change the filter and check for leaks in the air pipe where the sensor is located.

P0316:Misfiring:Check your spark plugs and get them replaced.Get the injectors cleaned.This problem might be due to the low quality of fuel as well.Try using higher octane premium fuel, if the problem still persists try using octane boosters in the fuel to raise the octane.If the problem still persists check the following.
  • Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Crankshaft Position (CKP)
  • Ignition System

Top Bottom