Tata Zest Review & Pictures: Zestful Endeavour

Guys,
Need advice in decision making.

I am in market for a compact sedan with AT/AMT, waited for Tigor and these guys haven’t released AMT variant and now I am not ready to wait further for Tigor AMT launch. After Tigor MT test drive, wife and son are more interested in zest.

During my conversation for Zest XMA with SA, he said a 2015 Zest XMA is available in their stock and if I am interested, he will speak with his management and get the discount and other details. I have asked him multiple times for the reason not being sold since then; he says “it’s there in our stock sir since 2015”. I checked with him on the condition of the car if it is flood affected or any accident during transit, he said no for everything. He is ready to show me the car and told me to confirm only after seeing the car in flesh.

Looks like I may get huge discount on 2015 vehicle, 2017 Zest XMA OTR is 9.03 lakhs and can get 30 to 40 K of discount.

Now I want your expert advice, to go or not to go for it.

If it is to go, let me know what and all the checks has to be performed to ensure the car is hassle free. And also to what extent I can bargain.

Seeking your valuable input guys….[clap]

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
During my conversation for Zest XMA with SA, he said a 2015 Zest XMA is available in their stock and if I am interested, he will speak with his management and get the discount and other details. I have asked him multiple times for the reason not being sold since then; he says “it’s there in our stock sir since 2015”. I checked with him on the condition of the car if it is flood affected or any accident during transit, he said no for everything. He is ready to show me the car and told me to confirm only after seeing the car in flesh.

Looks like I may get huge discount on 2015 vehicle, 2017 Zest XMA OTR is 9.03 lakhs and can get 30 to 40 K of discount.

Now I want your expert advice, to go or not to go for it.

If it is to go, let me know what and all the checks has to be performed to ensure the car is hassle free. And also to what extent I can bargain.

Seeking your valuable input guys
I would not go for this car even if the SA was bending backwards for it. 2015 Car means a 2 year old car and in the stockyards, the cars are not kept in a very clean or protected way. Apart from that, if the car is in stockyard, what's the guarantee that it's battery, disc brakes, and other things would be in good condition? An idle car for 2 years is a No from me. Yet if you wish to buy it, then talk with him for discount of minimum 1-1.5 Lac straight. And here is a link to our PDI list: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../489-new-car-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi.html

Regards

Akash

Hi All,
I am new member to this group and this is my first post on TAI forum.
This post is to update/ ownership review of TATA ZEST Diesel (QJD) XT model.
Why & how? :
I had started searching new car (especially Diesel) for my daily office run in Pune city during Aug-Sept 2016 period, however due to my office travel it got postponed till December 2016.
I had used my WagaonR LXI CNG for 4.5 years and 96K+ KM and there was immediate need to replace the ageing WagaonR. So, I am very much familiar with build quality of Maruti (My brother used Dzire (D) for similar period and 90+K KM). Hence no Dzire/Baleno was in my list (my sister owns Baleno Petrol), Feature wise Baleno is really good product however the visual build quality and touch and feel factor was missing as compare to Zest. (I am not referring any STAR rating here. It’s just my thoughts. No offence to present/ future owners. )
Shortlisting of car’s:
Must have features: (any of the features missing then will not go ahead with purchase)
Diesel (price around 9 Lk on road Pune)
Minimum 2 Airbag
ABS, Disc brakes
4 good + 1 (midsize adult) fit for 600+ KM journey in single day.
Good Build Quality (At least sturdy to observe abuse of frequent rural road)
Driver seat height adjustment
Good Bluetooth connectivity for Phone (can accept/reject calls from Steering)
Seat belt pre-tensioner and load limiter

Nice to have features: (Majority of features should be present)
Good suspension (most of the new age car has excellent ride quality).
Excellent Music system
ACC (Automatic Climate control- Automatic AC)
Exterior styling look and interior quality
Reverse Parking sensor
Fog lamp (Both front and rear side)
Auto door lock (depends on speed)
Auto rotate ORVM
Alloy wheel
Rear defogger
Steering mounted control for music systems

Features that not so important for me:
Touch screen
DRL (Day time running Light)
Any exterior chrome items which enhance the look of car like chrome lining, chrome bar etc.
Alloy Wheels
Exterior look and brand image

Depend on above features initial shortlisting:
Tata Tiago XZ Diesel (excellent Product from TATA but less space at rear as compared to Bolt/Zest)
FIAT Urban Cross /Punto (good product lack parent company support in marketing and promotions and on road price for Punto/UC is around 9.50 LK for airbag version).
Ford Figo Titanium+ (really very good VFM product in India)
Hyundai I10 G / I20 (both ruled out due to price point VFM factor and build quality)
Volkswagen Polo (too cramped rear + expensive maintenance after 3 year)

Focus changed to CS (Sub-4 meter):
Volkswagen Ameo: Cramped rear, expensive maintenance, and dash was rubbing to my left knee for my driving positon and it can’t be neglected for long journey
Hyundai Xcent: Not impressive diesel 1.1L, was not sure about build quality as I10G rating was poor in NCAP hence decided not to proceed with Hyundai
So final Shortlisting only 3 from initial 10+ cars: Without exchange of old car
Tata Zest XT D, Ford Aspire T+ D, TUV 300 T8 MHACK 100:
After shortlisting on cars, final negotiations started with above three dealers. As its year end offer season all car’s running with good offer/exchange offers. Amongst above 3
Ford dealer in Pune was least responsive, low on commitment and follow-ups. After initial visit Aspire excluded from shortlisted car ( due to Poor response from dealer and being a December month Dealer is not ready to offer any discount ( later he agreed to offer 15K for Titanium+ model so on road price around 9.20Lk for T+ model))
Mahindra local SA was responsive however not prompt on time, and TUV300 Price was 1LK above my budget. However I made up my mind to pay extra EMI for TUV, and enquired for Black / Military green colour, initially dealer committed about delivery of black / green TUV in December last week, hence I was planning to cancel the ZEST booking and go ahead with TUV, but after 2 days got call from Mahindra Dealer, he was forcing for White / Sunburst orange TUV which were in stock and said offer (discount) is only available on 2 colour only.
This one vehicle which I love and liked most. If zest was not in list then I would have booked TUV 300 after some wait when said colour available with offer.
Other side TATA SA ( Harshal) from Concorde Wakadewadi Pune was very responsive, I informed him about TUV300 and conveyed my intention to cancel my booking of zest, in spite of that he constantly followed up with me about booking process, bank formalities and colour available, and whatever possible information related to ZEST. He was very co-operative, and said sir its your choice and go ahead with your own choice which will give you more pleasure with every ride.
Tata Concorde motors (both Baner and Wakadewadi Shivaji Nager branch) were super responsive, very prompt in service, prompt in response, and followed all commitments &deadlines (more on this in later part).
I was inclined towards TUV at final stage however the quality of interior of zest, handling, excellent Music system, and suspension + on road price difference, and Manoeuvrability in city (as me and my wife both use the car) trumps zest over TUV and went ahead with Zest due to all these reasons.
Final discount on TUV300 was 45K on road hence price was 10.20 LK which is too high from my initial budget. So Zest was only option remained that time and started negotiation heavily with Concorde SA.
Final on road Price: TATA ZEST XT Qudrajet 90 BHP
875000 (with Zero Dep insurance): (initial quotation: 932000+)
4500 Reverse Camera (with small screen separately mounted on dashboard)
Extended Warranty: 8700 (2+ 2 Year)
Gold AMC 16800+ (3 Year / 45 thousand KM) (
Total payment: 906316
Final Price: 906316
Booking date: 19/12/2016 colour: Red / sky gray
Delivery date: 31.12.2016 (delayed due to red colour was not available in top end model hence opted for Gray colour as per my wife’s choice colour)
RTO registration and number: 22/01/2017
Initial KM on ODO: 37 KM
Current OD reading: 9500 KM
Long Tour: Highway
Pune Kolhapur – Belgavi- Goa-Pune - : 25/01/2017 to 30/05/2017
Total Distance: 1400KM
Initial ODO reading: 227 KM
Average (100% AC) : MID display 24.5KM/L actual ( tank full to tank full) 23.8 for 42 Ltr fill
Pune-Kolhapur- Pune = 600KM 4 Lane road
Aveg: MID: 25.7 Actual: 24.3KM/L
Pune- Aurangabad - Pune 4 Lane Road
KM = 653 Avg = MID 24.8 Actual ( 23.5 not sure exact digit but it is 23+)
Pune-Aurangabad-Nanded-Nizamabad –Nanded-Aurangabad – Pune = total distance= 2000+ KM
Aveg: MID around 23.7 (including crossing City and 100+ KM inside city for daily runabout) 90% AC
Actual: 22.8 ( T to T method).
Till date average for 9450 KM with 100% AC on (never rolled down windows while driving) = 20.7 KM/L
City Usage: Talwade IT part Pune to Magarpatta city:
Daily 64KM: MID 18.9 to 19.3 with 100% AC
Actual: 17.5 to 18 KM

Overall I am enjoying the drive and each KM on road. Nice build quality, excellent music system, low NVH, good suspension and good brakes with ABS, good all round visibility. I am very happy with the Zest and it is one of the best decisions of my life.
I will keep posting updates about zest and my service experience ( first service done at 4800 KM) with Concorde motors Baner in future.
Thanks all for your patience reading
[clap]

I would not go for this car even if the SA was bending backwards for it. 2015 Car means a 2 year old car and in the stockyards, the cars are not kept in a very clean or protected way. Apart from that, if the car is in stockyard, what's the guarantee that it's battery, disc brakes, and other things would be in good condition? An idle car for 2 years is a No from me. Yet if you wish to buy it, then talk with him for discount of minimum 1-1.5 Lac straight. And here is a link to our PDI list: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../489-new-car-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi.html

Regards

Akash
Thanks for the suggestion Akash, even I was in a hesitation to buy a 2 year old unused vehicle but the only tempting factor is the price.
I am aware of this PDI check list; my question is what else to be checked for this kind of vehicle.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks for the suggestion Akash, even I was in a hesitation to buy a 2 year old unused vehicle but the only tempting factor is the price.
I am aware of this PDI check list; my question is what else to be checked for this kind of vehicle.
Bud, in such important cases, one should overlook the lucrative pricing too. In such cars, check for any leakage, rust formation under the flooring, any signs of the car being used / abused at the stockyard like the worn out gear lever, A & B pedal rubber being worn out and scratches on the windscreen front and back. Rust on the disc brakes to be checked, Check for all hinges if they are making any noise and need lubrication. These are some points that are coming in my mind as of now.

Regards

Akash

The current reading of my petrol zest is at 12,304 kms.

The rear right door when open shows as left door open near the speedometer. The service center didn't rectify it. I told I will check it during free servicem

The moment I took the car from centre I stalled as the clutch was way too tight. The technician must have done something as the clutch was smooth before.

There was constant power drop and I had to change gears a lot even on plain roads. This was not the case before.
there was lot of heat from footwell near clutch and brakes.

I stopped the car and opened the bonnet and inspected the footwell while engine running but this time there was no heat.

The heat got cleared by itself. But the pick up is not smooth. I have to really push each gear over 2000 rpm to change to the next gear. But once it reaches 80kmph then only the 5th gear can be engaged. Over 80 kmph the zest gave good performance.

Not sure what the issue is actually. The pick up is more dull with a.c.

I got air filter checked just 1 month back.

Not aware of what the issue is.

Hello guys,
Can you guys share your Harman software version of zest. I have revetron xt 2015 model and my version is R9.6_221214 .
Can someone tell me , Is this the latest version or any update have came ?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Tata Motors celebrates 85,000 ZESTS on the roads with the special edition ZEST Premio

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Mumbai, March 5 2018: Tata Motors today added a premium touch to its ZEST range by introducing the ZEST Premio – a special edition car with 13 new features. With more than 85,000 Tata ZESTS having found happy owners all around the country, the ZEST Premio comes as a special edition to celebrate the success. It will be on sale from 1st March 2018 at a starting price of INR 7.53L for the diesel version (ex-showroom Delhi) across all Tata Motors sales outlets, in India.

According to Mr. Mayank Pareek, President, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, “We are extremely delighted to introduce the special edition of ZEST with a fresh and energetic look and are confident that this will attract our customers for its value proposition. Being the only compact sedan to be awarded 4 stars in safety by Global NCAP, the ZEST continues to provide its customers with enhanced value offering. With more than 85,000 happy customers, Tata ZEST has proven to be a loved brand and with this new special edition ZEST, we expect to strike a new chord with the young and aspirant customers. We will continue to gauge changing customer preferences and keep introducing new features in our best-in-class products to give our customers enhanced value offering.”

The ZEST Premio debuts with a host of first-in-segment premium features like dual tone roof in glossy black, piano black hued outside mirrors on the exterior, and a chic tan finished mid pad on the dashboard in the interior. Two handsome exterior colours – Titanium Grey and Platinum Silver – provide an excellent platform to highlight the exquisite finishes added to the ZEST Premio.

The exterior appearance is further enhanced with smoked multi-reflector headlamps and a piano black hood strip at the front to accompany the elegant dual tone bumper. At the rear, a piano black boot lid garnish complements the Premio special edition badge. The wheels are embellished with proud silver wheel covers. As a final flourish, buyers can add a piano black spoiler as an optional accessory.

Under the hood, the ZEST Premio is equipped with the famed, reliable, 1.3L, 4 cylinder, BS IV Quadrajet, common rail, turbodiesel engine, putting out 75PS power and 190 Nm torque. The engine is paired with a 5 speed manual transmission. The urbane interior benefits from new premium seat fabric with contrast stitching and Premio branding, which is carefully colour co-ordinated with the strikingly finished tan mid pad.

Entertainment and great sound quality are assured by our renowned ConnectNext touchscreen infotainment system by HarmanTM, with phone based apps including Navigation addressing the ever-evolving connectivity needs of our customers.

About Tata Motors

Tata Motors Limited, a USD 42 billion organization, is a leading global automobile manufacturer of cars, utility vehicles, buses, trucks and defence vehicles. As India’s largest automobile company and part of the USD 100 billion Tata group, Tata Motors has operations in the UK, South Korea, Thailand, South Africa, and Indonesia through a strong global network of 76 subsidiary and associate companies, including Jaguar Land Rover in the UK and Tata Daewoo in South Korea. In India, Tata Motors has an industrial joint venture with Fiat. Engaged in engineering and automotive solutions, with a focus on future-readiness and a pipeline of tech-enabled products, Tata Motors is India’s market leader in commercial vehicles and among the top in passenger vehicles with 9 million vehicles on Indian roads. The company’s innovation efforts are focused on developing auto technologies that are sustainable as well as suited. With design and R&D centres located in India, the UK, Italy and Korea, Tata Motors strives to pioneer new products that fire the imagination of GenNext customers. Abroad, Tata cars, buses, and trucks are being marketed in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, South East Asia, South America, Australia, CIS, and Russia.
Regards

Akash

My petrol zest clutch plate has become useless after 4 years and just 14000 km of driving. I am dissapointed as my maruti dezire works well even after 7 years and 80,000 km. Can anybody tell me what will be the total cost of replacing the clutch plate in XMS model

Top Bottom