Tata Zest Review & Pictures: Zestful Endeavour

Another update but with a problem now. Unfortunately the problem of loss of power has come back. In addition there was Engine malfunction and sensor error being displayed today. Took it to the service centre Fortune cars, Nerul, Navi Mumbai and they asked me to keep the vehicle for checking as it was late evening. Engine error codes were ON all the time and not getting reset after switch off and on.
Not happy with this at all. In fact I am thinking it was a bad decision to go for Tata now and the company is unable to do anything about it. One last try and I will give up on this. Will update here.
Another update. I am in a big problem with the car now with poor customer service and support offered by Tata and their ASC Fortune cars in Nerul Navi Mumbai. My Zest XMS RT had problem of loss of power and I had several trips to the service centre with no proper solution in sight. Latest being the problem in cluster with Engine malfunction light coming up. The service centre changed the cluster to a non Zest cluster (may be Indigo) and messed up with the wiring and now the Sport mode, Eco Mode have stopped working altogether. Fog lamp buttons are also not working. Have registered a complaint and the car is in service centre again! Earlier problem of power loss and missing is not repaired yet with at least 5 trips to the service centre and trials for several hundred kms by the service centres, I lost a lot of fuel in these trials as well. It was driven for about 145 km by their ASC in Goa already to correct the power loss problem. In addition one more problem introduced by the ASC is Petrol lid not working!
As always the ASC's don't provide any updates and you have to call them 10 to 15 times to even get a reply.!! Pathetic. Though TATA offers good products, these service centres spoil it altogether. Thinking of changing to another car now as there are too many problems in the first year of ownership and cannot imagine the future specially because of the sloppy services offered by Tata and these ASC's!!

This is really poor troubleshooting skills.

They ruined a capable car. Rajesh naik I strongly recommend you to take this issue to the competent authority.

I hope you remember the email I sent previously.

Let me know if you need any help.

Last edited:
This is really poor troubleshooting skills.

They ruined a capable car. Rajesh naik I strongly recommend you to take this issue to the competent authority.

I hope you remember the email I sent previously.

Let me know if you need any help.
Yes Kishor, I very much remember your e-mail. I did send an e-mail to the ID which you gave, but he never sent me any response till date.
The service centre has not even created a Job card for this second time "replacement of cluster". Will update when I get the car back.

Yes Kishor, I very much remember your e-mail. I did send an e-mail to the ID which you gave, but he never sent me any response till date.
The service centre has not even created a Job card for this second time "replacement of cluster". Will update when I get the car back.
If they claim that any work has been done, take everything in writing or a receipt for what is done. Every job card has to be entered in your online service record, may be that is why they didn't do it

Hi Guys,

I am taking delivery of my Zest XMS RT (Sky Grey) tomorrow in Lucknow and planning to drive it back to Delhi on Sunday if the Registration dilemma is sorted out [cry]

Anyone, who can guide me regarding the

Any suggestions on highway driving and handling of the new car ? I have heard you really can't push the engine until a run-in period of 1800 Kms. What should be a sensible speed to complete the 575 Kms stretch safely ?

Please advise.

Regards
RK

Being new, I suggest keep the rpm under 2k, which it self will give good speed in 5th gear.
If you are an experience driver, driving in highway should not be a problem that too with new car.

Have fun with your new partner [;)]

Hi Guys,

I am taking delivery of my Zest XMS RT (Sky Grey) tomorrow in Lucknow and planning to drive it back to Delhi on Sunday if the Registration dilemma is sorted out [cry]

Anyone, who can guide me regarding the

Any suggestions on highway driving and handling of the new car ? I have heard you really can't push the engine until a run-in period of 1800 Kms. What should be a sensible speed to complete the 575 Kms stretch safely ?

Please advise.

Regards
RK
First of all, congrats on getting this beauty! I myself own the sky gray one and the color is just awesome!

Now regarding the run in, what the manual says - for petrol, these speeds should not be exceeded for the respective gears:

1st - 20
2nd - 40
3rd - 60
4th - 80
5th - 100

So you can go by the manual. Ideally I too would suggest you to keep the revs below 2k rpm and it should be fine!

Regarding my Black Pearl now. The ODO reads about 1930 kms. Run in is over. First servicing done. And the car is doing great. It has been a joy to drive her. I have taken her to one long drive till now. About 180 kms drive. Since it was run in, kept the speed to 80kph. I generally drive in city mode, but during this highway drive, used the eco mode extensively. At the end of the trip, the FE figure showed 18.6 kpl in the MID. In city it gives around 12.5-13 kpl (100% AC).

Last edited:
Being new, I suggest keep the rpm under 2k, which it self will give good speed in 5th gear.
If you are an experience driver, driving in highway should not be a problem that too with new car.

Have fun with your new partner
Thanks Sudarmani. I really look forward to meeting my beauty [:D], will keep the suggestion in mind and not exceed 2K RPM. Yes, I have been driving for a decade now on my dad's faithful Alto LX. Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to the Alto before purchasing the Zest [cry]

First of all, congrats on getting this beauty! I myself own the sky gray one and the color is just awesome!

Now regarding the run in, what the manual says - for petrol, these speeds should not be exceeded for the respective gears:

1st - 20
2nd - 40
3rd - 60
4th - 80
5th - 100

So you can go by the manual. Ideally I too would suggest you to keep the revs below 2k rpm and it should be fine!

Regarding my Black Pearl now. The ODO reads about 1930 kms. Run in is over. First servicing done. And the car is doing great. It has been a joy to drive her. I have taken her to one long drive till now. About 180 kms drive. Since it was run in, kept the speed to 80kph. I generally drive in city mode, but during this highway drive, used the eco mode extensively. At the end of the trip, the FE figure showed 18.6 kpl in the MID. In city it gives around 12.5-13 kpl (100% AC).

Thank you sans_fz, I also fell in love with the Sky Grey Zest as soon as i saw it in the showroom

I will definitely pay heed to Sudarmani's and yours advice and keep the revs below 2K.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Black Pearl and I just cannot wait to get my hands on my black beauty.

Sadly though I don't think that I will be able to drive it back to Delhi in Sunday due to the Registration issue [frustration]

Hello Friends,
An update after a long time from me .
Own a ZEST RT XT.
August -16 Trip.
Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore
1428 kms. 16.2 MID. Tank full to tan kfull 16 kmpl. Only City mode full time AC.
Avg Speed 90-120
September -16 Trip
Bangalore-Varkala-Kovalam-Kanyakumari-Bangalore
1540 Kms. 16 MID . Tank full to tank full 15.8 kmpl. Only City mode full time AC.
Avg Speed 90-120
Current ODO is 23100 kms. Second year service is due next week.
Fully satisfied and happy customer
Cheers.

happy to hear Ash.
@Zest owner, has anyone tried Ceramicpro on your car. I haven`t checked the price but it sounds perfect for our Indian environment.

My zest had a hit to the speedbreaker recently and since then the steering went to right side and there is wobbling of car.
The service centre gave a quotation
My car is less than 1 year old and has gold amc.
Do I have to pay for it inspite of that ???

My zest had a hit to the speedbreaker recently and since then the steering went to right side and there is wobbling of car.
The service centre gave a quotation
My car is less than 1 year old and has gold amc.
Do I have to pay for it inspite of that ???
How much is the Quotation.

Even my zest met with an accident. Wife was taking reverse and and pressed more accelerator and have hit hard on the gate. I am very thankful to god no one was injured. The is a notable vertical dent on the back side next to the TATA logo on the diggi but nothing happed to bumper I must say the bumpers are really very strong. As I am out of town so unable to take it to ASC. Any Idea what can be the repairing cost. I have a complete insurance B2B as after the insurance claim I will be losing the NCB for next year.

Top Bottom