Tata Zest Review & Pictures: Zestful Endeavour

Going by the thread, smoke grey, silver and white colour zests are everywhere in stock. I was offered 2015 Zest XE Quadrajet 75ps, smoke grey colour at discount of Ra.55000/- along with mud flaps, full mat, body cover.. will it be sweet deal?

One solution is changing rpm limit to 1500 from 1750 for turbo opening. It will initiate quicker turbo opening and reduce turbo lag as normal driving requires 1500rpm... its like doing as in Bolt RT.
But it will void warranty. Some people are doing, but no idea about performance. Have to wait and watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are unable to remove the spots, why don't you try some good car washing services at your place. I believe that will positively help.
I was also thinking of taking professional help now.
Tried with collin, colgate and harpic. But still no good news.
Will be out of station till next week. So, will try after that and update.

It's one month since I brought my Black Pearl home. Till date the odo reads approx 660~670 km. Here are some points regarding the initial experience.

1. Drivability - I have done city driving during this period. And let me tell you, I am very satisfied with the way this car drives. Yes sometimes u feel a bit of sluggishness in the low revs(especially if we let the revs fall below 1k) and working of the gears is needed, but that isn't too much for me. I have driven almost 96% in City mode, rest 4% equally in Sports and Eco. I feel city mode is the best for city driving. The Eco is a bit sluggish for me and if we want to get a quick move on, it is bound to disappoint. The sports mode makes the car a separate beast though, you can feel the change in throttle response once it is switched to this mode.

2. Ride quality, well I do not have to say much on this as everybody knows this. It's fantastic.

3. FE - My average FE meter in the MID shows 13.8kpl, while I have reached a maximum of 17.1 kpl. Given I have driven in city using the city mode and used AC almost 95%, I am quite satisfied with the figure. Once I calculated using tankful method which gave about 13.1. So its quite the same.

4. Regarding odd behaviors, only a couple of things. A couple of times the harman display did not swich on while rotating the key, although the system was on as I could fell the AC. Doing a restart solved it. Also, when standstill, sometimes rotating the steering gives a slight sound. Not always though. And while driving, there is no such sound.

A couple of days back, it rained heavily and the streets got water-clogged. And the way the car got past the water, it was impressive. The ground clearance certainly helps.

Overall it has been a joy till now to own the Pearl. I wish to have many such joyful miles ahead. [:D]

A parting shot!
View attachment abc-min (1).jpg

1. Drivability - I have done city driving during this period. And let me tell you, I am very satisfied with the way this car drives. Yes sometimes u feel a bit of sluggishness in the low revs(especially if we let the revs fall below 1k) and working of the gears is needed, but that isn't too much for me. I have driven almost 96% in City mode, rest 4% equally in Sports and Eco. I feel city mode is the best for city driving. The Eco is a bit sluggish for me and if we want to get a quick move on, it is bound to disappoint. The sports mode makes the car a separate beast though, you can feel the change in throttle response once it is switched to this mode.
Eco button is best pressed on highways. When you are on a 4 lane highway which is quite empty then simply go to 80 kph and press the eco button. Enjoy economy while cruising between 80-100.

Also, when standstill, sometimes rotating the steering gives a slight sound. Not always though. And while driving, there is no such sound.
That is because of tyres rubbing against the ground. Such sound is more evident on smooth floor or roads with slight debris. Absolutely normal it is.

I am back with an update about the power loss issue. As I was in Goa with my Zest RT and had written to Tata customer care, they routed the query to Mr.Nikhil from Tata Motors who arranged Car pick up by the Auto Industries Goa (TASC) on 11th May. After several phone calls and discussion with Mr.Nikhil, I was told they have cleaned the air filter, fuel filter, checked spark plugs and fuel pump and everything was normal. They checked error codes with the laptop and everything I was told was normal. They took a test drive of close to 162km till the car was delivered back to me on 12th May at 7 pm. They again asked for the car to be picked up for further check on 14th May and I was not told what check they are doing but was told it is inspection of the work done couple of days back. That day again the car was driven close to 82 km mainly because of the distance between service centre in south Goa and my home in North Goa. E-mail written to Mr.Nikhil about what exactly was done on both occasions is still unanswered, so cannot share here precisely what was done.
Car was delivered back to me on 14th May by evening 4 pm and I drove it for about 50km after that and the issue has not cropped up.
Will update if I experience this again. But at the end I am not too certain that this issue will not come. Many Zest owners are still reporting this and Tata motors must do some work on going to the root of this problem.
Another update but with a problem now. Unfortunately the problem of loss of power has come back. In addition there was Engine malfunction and sensor error being displayed today. Took it to the service centre Fortune cars, Nerul, Navi Mumbai and they asked me to keep the vehicle for checking as it was late evening. Engine error codes were ON all the time and not getting reset after switch off and on.
Not happy with this at all. In fact I am thinking it was a bad decision to go for Tata now and the company is unable to do anything about it. One last try and I will give up on this. Will update here.

Regarding FE, i opted to make sedate driving with city mode and 80% AC, I get 17.5 max. With full AC i get 17 max. Worst was 16.4 for RT vehicle. Its combined in moderate city traffic and highways.
Without AC i get 20 max in city mode.

If the engine is rev hard and frequent gear changes, FE drops drastically.

Need help from tai members.

My petrol zest has done 3 wheel alignments till now in 2 months. Yesterday I went for 100 kms trip and the car pulled to right again.

During 3rd visit the service centre told its fine and I have tried to ignore the pulling but when I saw the tyres yesterday they started losing rubber only the edges of the tyre.

I doubt what the issue is. How to diagnose the cause for a 7 months old car ?

i cant help on technical part but as a customer, i suggest you raise it to highest level and if you are not happy with the service, do not accept the vehicle.
I am sure you can get hold of ASM in your area

My petrol zest has done 3 wheel alignments till now in 2 months. Yesterday I went for 100 kms trip and the car pulled to right again.
My last car, a chevy beat, also had same problem. It used to pull left however it was very minor. I took it up with chevy service multiple times as FL tyre used to have uneven wear. But it was never fixed and I ended up living with it for my ownership of 6 yrs/90k kms.
Escalate it with tata to get it fixed. And make sure to:
1. Get timely alignment and rotation of tyres.
2. Maintain same air pressure in all 4 tyres.

Thanks guys. If tasc doesn't solve I will get it done at outside Bridgestone wheel balancing and see if it helps.

I will check the values from manual and tell them to do the same.

Went to a private wa/wb shop and the system detected massive wheel wobbling on the right side. The guy struggled really hard as the camber /castor values were way far from the prescribed ones.

It is really surprising that the car was checked twice by different service advisors in tasc and they found it to be perfect.

So called troubleshooting skills.[anger] These are basic things, and any driver can make out such issues. Really bad.

I drove the car again and found the right hand to be a bit uneasy.

I will see for another 50 kms or so and also on open roads to check if its rectified.

P.S. Incidentally my zest completes 5000 kms

Last edited:
P.S. Incidentally my zest completes 5000 kms
Thats really sad my zest has just completed 8000kms apart from the first servicing servicing I have not only done anything else. Shall I go for the WA and WB now. Is it ok If I get it done from outside as when I enquired about the same in TASS they said that it is good if it is done with them because if anything goes wrong the warranty may be voided.

Thats really sad my zest has just completed 8000kms apart from the first servicing servicing I have not only done anything else. Shall I go for the WA and WB now. Is it ok If I get it done from outside as when I enquired about the same in TASS they said that it is good if it is done with them because if anything goes wrong the warranty may be voided.
I still remember we both bought xms petrol on the same day.

5000 kms is the interval Bridgestone recommends.

Not much difference if you do in service centre or outside.

Top Bottom