Tata Tiago Revotron Petrol Drive Review

Recently got Tata Tiago XZ Petrol.
Few observations:
1. Those who have Iphone or plan to buy that phone MUST NOT buy this car. They will not be able to use the ConnectNext Application. Only Android phone users can use this application. I have Iphone and I can't use ConnectNext fully.[anger] Phone should have 3G/4G data enabled for authentication and further use. This info I could not see in the manual provided.
[:)] The main purpose of car is transporting people. I don't see the logic in not buying a car because it is unable to sync with a mobile brand used by just 2% of mobile users in India.

Any updates for the AMT version XZA of Tiago?
Hi Amit, the TD cars are already there in most of the showrooms. Have been seeing positive reviews about the gearbox. There is a minor lag between the first and second gear (a trait of AMT). XZA AMT comes with creep function. The gearbox is the same unit which works in Celerio and both MS and Tata source from Magnetti Marelli. Kwid (a full segment below) uses AMT but is a bare bones version of the same AMT but without Creep and other Vital functions. By the way Magnetti Marelli is the same company which makes electronics for Ducati (and many others) in World Superbikes and Motogp racing and also for their high end Production Superbikes.
Hope experts (Akash, Vipul) provide their review on Tiago AMT.

Hi Amit, the TD cars are already there in most of the showrooms. Have been seeing positive reviews about the gearbox. There is a minor lag between the first and second gear (a trait of AMT). XZA AMT comes with creep function. The gearbox is the same unit which works in Celerio and both MS and Tata source from Magnetti Marelli. Kwid (a full segment below) uses AMT but is a bare bones version of the same AMT but without Creep and other Vital functions. By the way Magnetti Marelli is the same company which makes electronics for Ducati (and many others) in World Superbikes and Motogp racing and also for their high end Production Superbikes.
Hope experts (Akash, Vipul) provide their review on Tiago AMT.
I TD it on Friday, while my Tiago Diesel was in second service.

AMT is good, upshifts are noticeable though, but nit jerky. Sports mode is too good though there is still lag in upshifting, but it hold rev till 3,800 - 4,000 rpm. Downshifting didn't had any kind of jerk, tiptonic was bit slow (second or two lag). Creep function is so helpful in b2b traffic.
When driven hard, MID was showing 10.8 kmpl.

How is Tiago XZA AMT performance against Ignis AMT? Which car has better AMT considering city and highway road conditions?

How is Tiago XZA AMT performance against Ignis AMT? Which car has better AMT considering city and highway road conditions?
For both City driving and Highway driving conditions, the Ignis is a better bet in terms of AMT. The lag between gear shifts is lesser due to the 4 Cylinder Engine. Further the Ignis also comes with 15 inch wheels.

I had compiled a detailed comparison chart between the different automatics - refer the same for a more detailed comparison:

Automatic_Cars.png
(click on Image to enlarge)

If one has the budget for an Ignis Zeta AMT, then that is definetely superior to the Tiago AMT in all aspects. If one is comparing the Tiago AMT with the Delta variant then it gets confusing as you are getting a fully loaded car in the case of the Tiago but a second level variant from bottom in case of the Ignis.

For both City driving and Highway driving conditions, the Ignis is a better bet in terms of AMT. The lag between gear shifts is lesser due to the 4 Cylinder Engine. Further the Ignis also comes with 15 inch wheels.

I had compiled a detailed comparison chart between the different automatics - refer the same for a more detailed comparison:

View attachment 225083
(click on Image to enlarge)

If one has the budget for an Ignis Zeta AMT, then that is definetely superior to the Tiago AMT in all aspects. If one is comparing the Tiago AMT with the Delta variant then it gets confusing as you are getting a fully loaded car in the case of the Tiago but a second level variant from bottom in case of the Ignis.
Nice compilation Mr. Srivastava [clap]. Thanks for the insight on the AMT and agreed with you on the engine part. But if someone matters exterior looks and interior design and quality too then the Tiago XZA beats even Ignis Zeta as Ignis looks ugly (especially from the rear) and has poor interior design. For me personally that matters the most unless the engine is too bad ofcourse. (I have a MT by the way). And if someone values smoother transmission then Grand i10 AT is much better than any AMT. AMT as a tech is inherently laggy. Grand i10 AT is much smooth and better than Ignis in every dept. except FE.

Last edited:
Nice compilation Mr. Srivastava [clap]. Thanks for the insight on the AMT and agreed with you on the engine part. But if someone matters exterior looks and interior design and quality too then the Tiago XZA beats even Ignis Zeta as Ignis looks ugly (especially from the rear) and has poor interior design. For me personally that matters the most unless the engine is too bad ofcourse. (I have a MT by the way). And if someone values smoother transmission then Grand i10 AT is much better than any AMT. AMT as a tech is inherently laggy. Grand i10 AT is much smooth and better than Ignis in every dept. except FE.
Yes - if we consider looks then the Tata Tiago is a better looking car as compared to the Ignis in all directions [:)] Then again, if exterior looks were given a very high priority then possibly the Renault Kwid beats both the Tiago and the Ignis..

In terms of Interiors, Tiago and Ignis are similar on space. The Front Seats of the Tiago are slightly better than the Ignis front seats. However, the rear seats of the Tiago are on the smaller side and offer less under thigh support as compared to the Ignis.

Agree with your comments on the Grand i10 but my judgement was based on comparing AMT to AMT. The Ignis AMT shifts are much faster and smoother as compared to the Tiago AMT.

On the topic of mileage, there are not much inputs available on the Tiago AMT Mileage. Would be good to get some realistic mileage figures from some new owners.

Yes - if we consider looks then the Tata Tiago is a better looking car as compared to the Ignis in all directions [:)] Then again, if exterior looks were given a very high priority then possibly the Renault Kwid beats both the Tiago and the Ignis..

In terms of Interiors, Tiago and Ignis are similar on space. The Front Seats of the Tiago are slightly better than the Ignis front seats. However, the rear seats of the Tiago are on the smaller side and offer less under thigh support as compared to the Ignis.

Agree with your comments on the Grand i10 but my judgement was based on comparing AMT to AMT. The Ignis AMT shifts are much faster and smoother as compared to the Tiago AMT.

On the topic of mileage, there are not much inputs available on the Tiago AMT Mileage. Would be good to get some realistic mileage figures from some new owners.
Personally I don't like the looks of Kwid except from front. The rear doesn't suit the front. The boot is too big for the small car and passenger space is heavily compromised. IMHO Tiago looks much better than the Kwid. Agreed about the space comparo but what about the design? The cockpit design is one of the strongest point of Tiago and this is an area where Ignis loses big time. And if you go for the lower variants of Ignis then you lose out the dual tone interior and the design looks too dull. I agree on the seats front completely. The strongest point of Ignis is the smooth K12 4cyl engine which is among the best 1.2 out there.

Last edited:
Ignis may not be the best VFM overall but considering the calibration of AMT, can we say that Ignis AMT is the best AMT car available at the moment today below 10L segment?

Top Bottom