Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #796
How's the new brake pads ? My experience Was really bad in my santro. I changed to tvs girling and those were much much better than rane.
Hi @allhyundaicars, I couldn't feel any difference in new brake pads, probably because I don't use them much (mostly sedate driving with hardly any panic braking).

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Stock pads were 63K KM old and still had more life left but he is a bit aggressive in replacing parts (probably on a proactive mode, not sure).

View attachment 287571
Thats quite a lot of kms on OEM brake pads. This shows calm and patient driving. Very good.
Your ride is very nicely maintained and shows your love for the car. Thanks for sharing with us.

Last edited:
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: Third Service Update

Yo guys,
Got myself an armrest last week and its a special one [glasses]. It's a DIY setup created by TAIger Gurubhai bypassing almost all negative points of generic / after market arm rests.
  • Fully usable center console bottle holder (the only one in Tiago which can hold a tall and wide bottle.
  • No drilling or screwing required. Fits snuggly between front seats. Chances of being thrown around in a crash are slim.
  • Can use handbrake without lifting the arm piece upward.
  • Install and remove in seconds, no fiddling with alignments.
  • Foam padded, soft fabric for comfort.
  • Costs only Rs 500 :biggrin:

View attachment 228281

Custom made, specially for Tiago:
View attachment 228282

Fully usable center console bottle holder:
View attachment 228283

Gear shifts are a bliss now:
View attachment 228284

Can use handbrake even without lifting the arm up:
View attachment 228285

Blends well with the interiors.
View attachment 228286
Hello,
Seems pretty good, how can i get this? Want one for my Tiago!
Regards

Thread Starter #800
Aug 2021 - Continental UC6 Tyres

My previous tyre purchase was well thought out, checked out lot of models, visited a bunch of local dealers and then ordered online. On the contrary, this time all of this happened within 2 days from thought process to purchase, thanks to an irresistible offer from Amex card via Amazon platform (₹1500 instant discount + 10% cashback via EMI).

The Yoko Earth1 tyres on the car had completed 39K KM by now. Did a simple coin test and observed 2mm of tread depth left in them, enough to munch another 10K to 20K kilometers.
01 Yoko Tread Depth.jpg

After initial search for stock sizes (175/65 R14) and talks with ATOM Club members on social media channels, I decided an upsize to 185/65 R14 which is the max width my 5J rims can take. I was ok with the 2.22% speedo error because I strongly believe Tiago is already reporting odo on the higher side anyways.

1633863792196.png

Also, none of the members had wheel arch rubbing problems with this upsize. Continental UC6 was the tyre of choice for most of the folks, including our own @CRACING who had recently switched from Michelin to Conti UC6 on his Honda City. With his green signal, went ahead and placed the order for tyres and valve stems on Amazon.

1633863029930.png

The tyres reached me within a week and were in acceptable condition (though I expected a little more protection).
03 Conti Packing.jpg

Two of them were from 2020 batch and the other two from 2021. Despite me requesting latest batch, seller had sent these without caring much about customer requests.
04 Conti Mfg Stamps.jpg

Apparently, UC6 are specialized for wet grip and not really all rounders. Special features of this model marked below (gathered from YouTube/Conti site)
05 Conti Treads.jpg

My favorite Triton valve stems (also bought from Amazon). These are way better than the unbranded ones sold by tyre shops, for half the price.
06 Triton Valves.jpg

Ready for installation (had to fold down rear seatback to accommodate these guys):
07 Conti in Boot.jpg

My previous alignment with Fathima Tyres (done by FNG) was very satisfactory and hence checked if they had other branches nearby. Luckily one of them was just 3KM from my office and it turned out to be an MRF Tyre Tok shop (one of the only three in India, other two are in Chennai & Ahmedabad).

Automatic AC recovery & recharging unit. They quoted ₹1200 to run this on Tiago. I will give it a shot in a few months.
07 AC Recovery.jpg

The shop was almost empty with only a couple of customers (two wheelers) so 3 guys started work on my car. Tyres were replaced and balanced within an hour including spare wheel. Paid ₹950 for installation, balancing (spare included) & alignment and was not bad.

Robotic Wheel Alignment:
This robotic wheel alignment was new to me. It does not have plate sensors which are normally mounted on wheels for measurements. Instead, the arms on either side moves front/back and the sensors go up/down to measure values:
09 Robotic Alignment Collage.jpg

Wpare wheel & its tyre were never used (stock Good Year from 2016). This may have to be replaced in a couple of years.
10 Spare Wheel.jpg

Ready to roll in new shoes.
11 Conti Installed.jpg

Initial Impressions:
Right off the bat, the steering wheel felt super duper light and effortless even at crawling speeds. The car also felt a bit floatier at 60+ speeds on my usual roads (house to work, native place etc) giving nervousness at times. Lucikly, this wasn't the tyres but the 42+ PSI set by our MRF guys on all 4 tyres. Deflated to 33 PSI and found them comfortable to drive.
Windek Collage.png

• Ride Quality: Slightly on the softer side, probably due to increased side wall as well as relatively softer compound compared to Yoko E1 (subjective opinion).
  • Noise levels are difficult to gauge due to audible motor sound in Tiago (which some folks love, including myself) so can't comment on that. On a highway trip, I did not hear any road noise from the tyres (did a short coasting run to test this)
  • Braking: This is something I cannot comment on due to my relatively sedate driving style for the most part. However, a couple of test panic brake attempts proved to be more than satisfactory.
  • Cornering: No noticeable difference here as well on my regular routes which includes L and S curves here and there.
Conti vs Yoko:
Yoko vs Conti Rear Close Up.jpg

Conti vs Yoko Patch.jpg

Thanks to our roads, these freebies are annoying when they hit under body/wheel well and their rhythmic noise when hitting road:
Stones.jpg

Sold the Yoko E1 tyres for 4000 (1K per piece) to a Swift owner via Facebook Marketplace. Effective price of Conti came down to 12.5K [:D]
Yoko Sold.jpg

That's all for now folks! Will be back with few minor updates later.
Sign off.jpg

Thread Starter #802
If it is an MRF authorized center probably will do the calibration properly (There is a inspection process every 6 months, then only they will be given the MRF authorization). I have had a bad experience with one shop here, which uses Moving camera here. Moving camera setup isn't the best one in terms of alignment, only advantage is a more fast alignment process.

Hi Mr.Prabhagar

Kudos for wonderful long review, really impressed with your dedicated thread. I own tiago xza 2017 model, crossed 37k km, now I am hearing odd metallic sound while driving beneath my steering wheel. My local mechanic told it is an issue with steering wheel bush tentatively. Real problem could be made out only after dismantling my steering wheel, and repair time may take 2 days or more. I am totally frustrated with authorised service centre at Chennai _hygene car where I have been fooled twice earlier (pre-covid) with a whooping service bill (for ac coil replacement(12k) and poor service for minor issue not being addressed. Hence turned to local mechanic whom I found trust worthy..

Now I am in a dilemma whether to service this issue with an authorised service centre or to a local mechanic. I am not technically good like you.kindly suggest me

with regards
DR Sivakumar

Thread Starter #805
Kudos for wonderful long review, really impressed with your dedicated thread.
Thank you Doc for your kind words.

Now I am in a dilemma whether to service this issue with an authorised service centre or to a local mechanic. I am not technically good like you.kindly suggest me
I too had a knuckle sound whenever I rotate steering wheel for first time of the day (while moving out of parking). One FNG expected it to be the bushing at the end of rack and another FNG thought it was the "U" joint causing this sound. After replacing tie rod ends, I do not hear this sound daily and hence deferred further repairs until it gets worse/regular.
On your case, I believe TASC will outright ask to replace the rack (35K + labor) instead of spending time to isolate the root cause and replace the failed part. Hopefully, yours is a minor issue and is resolved without much damage to wallet. Please do let us know your repair updates.

Headlight Upgrade
View attachment 266176

Parts:
Headlights were sourced online from boodmo.com and arrived within 10 days via Fedex shipping. Kudos to boodmo for quick shipping and prompt response when I had to contact support for a payment issue. Below are the part numbers if anyone is interested. There are a couple of styles available with slight changes in design.
Can you kindly give me the information about the specification (including Ampere) of the relay (used to work with both high and low beam simultaneously)?

Thread Starter #808
Can you kindly give me the information about the specification (including Ampere) of the relay (used to work with both high and low beam simultaneously)?
Sorry for late reply. Any standard 4 pin relay will do. I had ordered the below from Amazon but never installed it due to very low highway running.

Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01HRCZKIK

Thread Starter #810
No updates since a long time ? How are the continental UC6 compared to Yoko earth 1. I have to buy new tyres for my Elantra.
Work has eaten up all my time these days.. Will post a quick update on the car this weekend :)

Conti UC6 - Definitely better than E1, you can go ahead with eyes closed. I have run about 8000 KM now and have no problems with it (except for a puncture which is not the tyre's fault). I know a bunch of TN TAI members and Tiago owners who use them and have no complaints whatsoever.
UC6 will be less noisy than E1 and also stops better too. In my case, comfort has also increased but it could be due to upsize.

The Puncture:
1652346164353.jpeg

Top Bottom