Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #737
What problem you faced due to faulty tensioner pully?
Heard screeching noise from engine bay at times and AC compressor wouldn't kick in during idle running (e.g, at traffic lights)

Also, isn't this 6th service or I'm missing something?
Hope this clarifies [:)]
  1. At 1500 KMs or 1 month
  2. 6 months
  3. 1 year
  4. 1.5 years
  5. 2 years
  6. 2.5 years
  7. 3 years

7th Scheduled Service (3 years / 45K KM)

This was done on 23rd April when my car was 2 years and 10 months old and 42K on odo (but had done 15K since previous oil change). Here's the list of items I handed over along with job card.

View attachment 260342
Scheduled items were done by ASC folks without a fuss. My original intent was to try out Liqui Moly Molygen 5W30 but then my car needed ACEA A5/B5 spec which wasn't available in their Molygen range. After some more digging online & with friends, I chose Tata Motors' recommended Castrol oil can for now. Also, the regular oil used by all TASCs (in barrels) is the same as this Castrol, but I still went with can because its sealed. Also, I poured in Liqui Moly oil additive because the can was only 3.2L vs 3.5 required as per manual.

Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W30 (ACEA A5/B5):
View attachment 260337 View attachment 260338

Problem items were not resolved to my complete satisfaction. Again some of it was due to my limited time available that day, combined with the low severity of them.
  1. Tensioner pulley was found kaput and would cost around 2K for a new one. Initially they claimed it isn't part of extended warranty and asked me to wait for a couple of days to confirm. Later it was replaced after about a month, claimed under extended warranty.
  2. Entire rod was replaced instead of the broken plastic. I don't crib for this one.
  3. Steering was slightly tilted to right side and they claimed to have done calibration which apparently won't solve this.
  4. Nothing was done here .
  5. They didn't even understand my problem and I too didn't have the time to address this in detail.
  6. Noticed a small stain of oil when under belly was washed at a car wash place sometime back. Again, they neither checked nor updated me about this.
  7. Door trim opened and fixed.
  8. Rubber strips were stuck on the resting sides of parcel tray for a snug fit. Jugaad but not a bad one.
  9. Claimed to have been checked but I am not sure.

Parcel Tray Jugaad:
View attachment 260339

Dirty Air Filter:
View attachment 260340

Faulty Auto Tensioner Pulley: Replaced after about a month, under extended warranty.
View attachment 260341

Invoice: This is after a 10% discount offer during my visit (for casting my vote [lol])
View attachment 260335

PS: Today (2nd June) is the 3rd anniversary of my Tiago since D day [:D]. Stay tuned for next update with the small accident and my insurance claim experience. Until then, buckle up and drive safe!

View attachment 260344
Hi Prabhagar,
Had a query on engine oil.
The can says 3.2 litre. Billing is for 3.3 litres.
But the requirement of 1.2 Revotron is 3.5 litres. So why did they fill 200-300 ml less?
Also, why are the Paid major 15k kms and paid minor 7.5k kms labour billed?

Also, the brake fluid is 500 ml. They have added only 250 ml.
During my Tiago's clutch replacement at 22,000 kms they had replaced 500 ml of brake/clutch fluid.

I had got this air filter replaced around 25k kms interval, as they literally had choked with dust.
I too will be cautious with the tensioner belt and pulley.
Had booked for an service appointment for today, but the dealership is closed and have booked an appointment for this Saturday.

Thread Starter #739
Hi Prabhagar,
Had a query on engine oil.
The can says 3.2 litre. Billing is for 3.3 litres.
But the requirement of 1.2 Revotron is 3.5 litres. So why did they fill 200-300 ml less?
You have sharp eyes [clap]. Oil refill shortage was due to my choice of 'can' instead of their barrel. That's why I had taken my own oil additive with me to fill the gap.

Also, why are the Paid major 15k kms and paid minor 7.5k kms labour billed?
This is ASC goof up. They had 500 in here initially and after I asked, they reduced to 300 ish. Didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

Also, the brake fluid is 500 ml. They have added only 250 ml.
During my Tiago's clutch replacement at 22,000 kms they had replaced 500 ml of brake/clutch fluid.
Either they billed incorrectly or just topped it up instead of replacing. [frustration]

I had got this air filter replaced around 25k kms interval, as they literally had choked with dust.
I too will be cautious with the tensioner belt and pulley.
Had booked for an service appointment for today, but the dealership is closed and have booked an appointment for this Saturday.
Very cool, please do update your thread on your experience.

Thread Starter #740
Accident Report
It was a regular drive to home from work, with stop and go traffic at the usual pain points en route. A careless tourist bus driver to rear ended my car at one such stops. Thankfully I wasn't too close to the Amaze ahead of me which saved him as well.

The metal piece of bus tore into my tailgate and one of the extra light scratched bumper's paint and dented the black plastic below that. His extra light glass broke on impact.
1560085208032.jpeg

1560085450542.jpeg

Had to claim insurance for tailgate and bumper replacement, costing a whopping 27K (bumped up rates for insurance). Future Generali had cashless option with my ASC so the entire claims process was smooth enough and paint job was not bad at all. Adding to this, I got a loaner car for a few days while body work was going on.

Invoice: Total out of pocket was Rs 2600 including 1000 deductible, 250 salvages, 550 water wash, 450 AC cleaning, 70 wiper fluid. This also bumped up my insurance premium by 1.5+K which was a good 35% NCB.
1560085885459.png

1560096283758.jpeg

If you haven't noticed by now, my ASC added a couple of bogus entries including Rs 450 from for AC cleaning which is in no way related to the accident. What's worst? They didn't even bother to clean the AC for the bogus billing entry (no stinky smell from vents) which had upset me very much. Also I noticed that the tailgate's edges weren't painted properly and also the inner side (between the walls) of tailgate looked different from other Tiago's. In the picture below, bottom left is my car where the metal piece is not in line with the oval glue like thing vs correct alignment in my buddy's Tiago (also checked another car at ASC). There are 3 such plates inside the tailgate, all three of them align with the glue like thingy:
1560095694883.jpeg

Paint issues around corners and edges:
1560096457266.jpeg

I raised all these concerns and dissatisfaction to service GM and got the AC cleaned and paint touched up for missed spots. They didn't have a proper answer to the metal piece misalignment so it's either a change in new part or is a refurbished one from their scrapyard. This proof was sufficient for me to not take this issue further, I am ok as long as it's not the same old tailgate, repaired and billed as new.
1560095976861.jpeg

On the day of pickup, noticed they had broken the airflow direction knob of center vents and got it fixed right there. And just today I found out corner vent knobs also broken. I have no mood to take this further, will get them replaced later, probably at another ASC in town (or even an FNG).
1560095634479.jpeg

If these weren't enough, I also had a puncture in rear right tire caused by a bad screw. Thankfully it was repaired by a mobile puncture repair person even without removing it. He also had to work hard to expand the hole in order to push the repair strip inside and commended the hardness of rubber. This also explains why Yoko Earth 1 isn't comfy to drive around.
1560096188167.jpeg

Hi

I also planning to upgrade the Tyre to width 185 from present 175mm , you are mentioning that the Rim width is not suitable for the do so. Can you please explain little more on that...

Thread Starter #742
Hi

I also planning to upgrade the Tyre to width 185 from present 175mm , you are mentioning that the Rim width is not suitable for the do so. Can you please explain little more on that...
Hope this picture helps. With only 5 inch width, 185 section tyres will look a lot more bulged than usual and as per tyre shop guys, it may not last well also. 5.5 inch is the usual norm for hatchback wheels but Tiago has an unconventional size. You are better off replacing your wheels as well if you badly need to up-size tyres to 185.

1561689025579.png

Hi
Thanks a lot for the clear information.. I will stick to stock Tyre size.. I will drop Tyre size upgrade plan ...
I think for a car of Tiago size and segment 175mm is decent. My friends City (V) also has 175mm tyres. Grand i10 has 165mm tyres so not much use upgrading. Also as Prabhagar mentioned its not a good idea either. Instead of width may be getting a higher sidewall may help (not very sure though). You can also try to get a more premium tyre like Pirelli/Michelin that would cut down tyre noise and would be an upgrade overall without going for a wider tyre.

@Prabhagar, If you didn't ask for AC clean etc you should have demanded refund even if they cleaned it. I had the same issue once for which I raised a concern and in my next service got a discount of Rs 329 (even though my AC was cleaned without asking). Your TASS seems to be one of the worst. I'm not happy with their unfair milking of insurance companies.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #745
You can also try to get a more premium tyre like Pirelli/Michelin that would cut down tyre noise and would be an upgrade overall without going for a wider tyre.
My next set would be a Michelin, just for the sake of experiencing it. Yoko's seem to be quite rough from a comfort standpoint but is a tough guy to last very long time.

@Prabhagar, If you didn't ask for AC clean etc you should have demanded refund even if they cleaned it. I had the same issue once for which I raised a concern and in my next service got a discount of Rs 329 (even though my AC was cleaned without asking). Your TASS seems to be one of the worst. I'm not happy with their unfair milking of insurance companies.
Normally I would have done exactly that but then due to time crunch I had to get out of there quick. Such insurance claim malpractices are common across all insurance industries, be it automobiles or hospitals.

Thread Starter #746
Within a month's time, I got rear ended twice.

First was a minor one with a biker, who after scraping some paint off my bumper, gave a stare as if I was at fault.
P_20190720_092534.jpg

Second hit by a Figo Aspire cab who misjudged the gap and scratched more paint off the bumper (thankfully on the same side). Bumper is sligtly out of place where it meets rear quarter panel. Decided not to get this fixed anytime soon.
Tiago_Aspire_Read_End.jpg

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Get some rubbing polish and the white paint will be gone leaving just that black mark.
I don't even step out if someone hits the car from behind. Damage js done and nobody's going to pay atleast here in delhi.

Thread Starter #748
Get some rubbing polish and the white paint will be gone leaving just that black mark.
I don't even step out if someone hits the car from behind. Damage js done and nobody's going to pay atleast here in delhi.
Yea I have to use rubbing compound and also see if I can push the bulged area back to normal. If I can get such scars in Coimbatore, I can't imagine how much you guys go through in Delhi.

Top Bottom