Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #706
I have got around 650 KM on full tank, but that was back in July 2017
That's a great number for petrol car. I have the habit of refueling once fuel level drops to 2 bars on the gauge, except for that one trip where we thought we'd reach Chennai on a full tank.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
That's a great number for petrol car. I have the habit of refueling once fuel level drops to 2 bars on the gauge, except for that one trip where we thought we'd reach Chennai on a full tank.
it's difficult in tiago to do what i do in my verna and elantra. in elantra it's analog so i refuel at quarter mark , in the verna it's digital but has 12 bars so i refuel at 3 bars. in tiago bars are less and at second bar i am sure the range is above 150kms. don't you get tired with the repetitive trips since a lot of fuel is left at second bar.

Thread Starter #709
Actually That is good habit, I started doing the same now a days
Recently came to know that car running on low fuel might cause fuel pump failure.
Glad to know I'm not alone [:)]. I believe modern cars' pumps won't go mad when running on a dry tank.

don't you get tired with the repetitive trips since a lot of fuel is left at second bar.
I meant to say 2 bars is the trigger for refuel in my mind. After 2 bars, I will stop for a refill whenever I happen to cross one of my usual fuel stations (or any BP Platinum station). [:D]

Glad to know I'm not alone [:)]. I believe modern cars' pumps won't go mad when running on a dry tank.

I meant to say 2 bars is the trigger for refuel in my mind. After 2 bars, I will stop for a refill whenever I happen to cross one of my usual fuel stations (or any BP Platinum station). [:D]
Thank you all guys... I use to maintain one bar only or DTE around 100 for refuel coz I don't use car regularly, so far 28 months 14000 on ODO and that comes monthly average of 500 Km, which at present is actually just 200-300 KM/PM now, so thinking I don't need more fuel than this... now I will maintain at least 2 bars as to not give any chance for fuel pump failure...

and regarding FE, now a days I am getting around 15-16 only coz of full use in city traffic only... but I strongly feel even now I can get 600+ on full tank for long trips on highway

Thread Starter #711
6th Service Update:
My Tiago underwent 6th service visit in Nov-2018 with an odo of ~35000 KM.

Regular Items:
Being minor service, no oil change was needed and only a fluid level check and top up was done. As always I skipped their water wash, wheel alignment and wiper fluid items from the list which I take care of myself.

Poor AC Performance:
ASC guys found a clogged and torn AC air filter and replaced it. They also used this opportunity to do a "AC Cleaning" procedure to earn a few extra bucks. The scent of their cleaning foam was pathetic and took more than a week to reduce.
1556416231740.jpeg

Rear Number Plate Bulb:
One of the rear number plate bulbs had gone kaput and was replaced. Funny that a 65 bucks bulb costs 120 bucks labor charge. Way to go Tata!

Valve Stems:
I have always had threading issues with the valve stems put in by tyre shops. They don't thread easily on my tyre inflator and caused air leaks while topping up air. Assuming they will have OEM parts, I had asked to throw in few valve stems for my wheels. Sadly theirs seem to be even worse just by looking at them, and also costed 100 bucks each whereas Amazon sells them for a mere 30 bucks. Happily returned those crappy stems and adjusted my bill.
The one from tyre shop (left) is way ahead in build & finish vs what my delaer had in stock (right):
1556416893013.png

Invoice: Paid Rs 600 after removing valve stems.
1556415667315.png

Signing Off:
1556417406292.jpeg

PS: I also completed 7th service just this week, will share details in upcoming post.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #712
40000 KM Milestone

1556421542821.jpeg

On 23rd of March, my Tiago touched its 40000 KM milestone which is 2 years and 10 months from purchase. This translates to roughly 1200 KM per month on an average vs 700 KM estimates [evil]. Running has also increased due to daily driving to work 15 KM one way, plus weekend trips to hometown etc. Attaching customary stats of fuel, odo etc from fuelio:

Odometer & Mileage Charts:
1556422692374.jpeg

Cost Per KM & Fuel Price Charts:
1556422713212.jpeg

Total Fuel Costs (after first 2 months):
1556423932017.jpeg

PUC Check:
Emissions have gone up compared to previous test (from same shop). I suspect the oil's age itself (14K KM) for the higher numbers. Will do another test after new oil in next service
1556423009124.jpeg

After a short detailing:
1556423682054.jpeg

With big brother:
1556423720772.jpeg

Wow Prabhakar 40k kms is huge! You have extracted all your invested money from Tiago [:D]
In between, AC filter cleaning is very simple in Tiago. I have done a DIY myself as its very convenient. All you need is a small size star screw driver. There is a video in YouTube for Tiago AC filter cleaning. After doing it myself, I felt paying 350-400 is not worth to the service guys who do it for namesake.
Between, 15.8kmpl lifetime is superb for a petrol car. You're one lucky chap. How many times you have done wheel alignment and how many times wheel balancing? Mine has run 14.2k without any issues and have only done one tyre rotation and no wheel alignment or balancing as not facing any noticable issue with that.
Now waiting for your Tiago's half century [evil]

Thread Starter #714
Wow Prabhakar 40k kms is huge! You have extracted all your invested money from Tiago
Thank you Abhisek. Driving almost 30KM everyday for work lately, adding up a lot of miles (and fuel bills). [:)]

There is a video in YouTube for Tiago AC filter cleaning. After doing it myself, I felt paying 350-400 is not worth to the service guys who do it for namesake.
I too had attempted filter cleaning, but they also use a foam to clean vents & evaporator. Again this is no magic and can also be done by ourselves. I am gonna buy ArmorAll or Liqui Moly AC cleaner and give it a shot.

How many times you have done wheel alignment and how many times wheel balancing? Mine has run 14.2k without any issues and have only done one tyre rotation and no wheel alignment or balancing as not facing any noticable issue with that.
I usually do it during every service visit (about 6 months or so). Please check wear pattern of your tires, if they have worn out evenly and you don't face any steering issues then no need to do it.

Replace mesh type filter with the paper type or fabric type .

Hyundais changed the design in most of their vehicles which had mesh type to the latter , as the former was found to cause issue in long run , as dust gets entrapped and can trigger a evaporator core damage in long run (Long history of vehicle having issues with A/c in hyundai , and they ruled this as culprit ) . Else make sure sir , you clean the mesh type every 2 weeks like domestic A/c unit .

Hyundais changed the design in most of their vehicles which had mesh type to the latter , as the former was found to cause issue in long run , as dust gets entrapped and can trigger a evaporator core damage in long run (Long history of vehicle having issues with A/c in hyundai , and they ruled this as culprit ) . Else make sure sir , you clean the mesh type every 2 weeks like domestic A/c unit .
Who cleans domestic AC every two weeks? I thought its done once in an year. My AC doesn't run too much though.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ prabhagar - why was a mesh type filter replaced ? Just a water clean will make it good as new. Also I was advised against ac vent cleaning by a Hyundai advisor. He explained to me that All the vents dirt will go down To the evaporator coil and get stuck there and block some of the area and might do more damage.

@ Abhishek - you must be living in a really clean place then. I agree with Vishnu. Here in Delhi I have to clean the filter every two weeks and there's so much dust. We live on top floor and cannot live without ac.

Thread Starter #718
Even I prefer paper/fabric ones which also filter out smaller dust particles unlike mesh. I doubt if there is an aftermarket option for this type of design. If there is one, please do share.

why was a mesh type filter replaced ?
It was found broken (or broken during removing) and hence replaced. Thanks for the heads up on vent cleaning, I will try to dig more on that.

Top Bottom