Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: Third Service Update

Hi Karthik,
I have not driven the Diesel Tiago except for a 500m short test drive. Please ask your question in below threads for a wider reach and response.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...99-tata-tiago-technical-issues-solutions.html
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...5-tata-tiago-review-pictures-tatas-tiara.html
Thank you. I'll post there even. For my less kms drive, if i'm opting petrol what problems do you face in your car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #527

Thankyou. I ll post there even. For my less kms drive, if i'm opting petrol what problems do u face in your car?
Well, all of my problems are already here on this ownership thread [:)]. The only open items as of now are the below:
- Slight left drag when steering wheel is left intact (found this in my friend's Tiago as well). Wheel alignment didn't fix it, will need more time to troubleshoot.
- Occasional lack of throttle response in second gear (right after up-shifting from first). It happens only for about 1 second and then its normal.

I am planning to address these during next service visit as they don't bother me much.

Well, all of my problems are already here on this ownership thread [:)]. The only open items as of now are the below:
- Slight left drag when steering wheel is left intact (found this in my friend's Tiago as well). Wheel alignment didn't fix it, will need more time to troubleshoot.
- Occasional lack of throttle response in second gear (right after up-shifting from first). It happens only for about 1 second and then its normal.

I am planning to address these during next service visit as they don't bother me much.
I guess there is no major issues to stop me from booking tiago. I heard there is cold start problem with white smoke in diesel variant. There is a video in youtube.
ok how about the mileage you get in city drive? and any mileage details about diesel variant in city drive?
Will there be any changes in 2018 edition? Because it's just 3 months more so that I can wait n get

Last edited:
Thread Starter #529

I guess there is no major issues to stop me from booking tiago. I heard there is cold start problem with white smoke in diesel variant. There is a video in youtube.
ok how about the mileage you get in city drive? and any mileage details about diesel variant in city drive?
Will there be any changes in 2018 edition? Because it's just 3 months more so that I can wait n get
Yes, I was with them when that video was shot in Yercaud during an owners meet/trip. It happens on high altitudes only and that brown Tiago has now crossed 30K km with no show stoppers.
My running is mostly on single lane highways during weekends (towards Sathy/ Mettupalayam) with low city running. By tank full method, I get 15.X with spirited driving and 17.X with sedate driving (all with 3 on board & luggage). I do not think 2018 will see changes unless you are keen on resale value.

TATA again silently increased the price of TIAGO.
XZ -P was 5.07 Lakhs Ex-showroom Kolkata now it is 5.14 Lakhs Ex-showroom.

Yes, I was with them when that video was shot in Yercaud during an owners meet/trip. It happens on high altitudes only and that brown Tiago has now crossed 30K km with no show stoppers.
My running is mostly on single lane highways during weekends (towards Sathy/ Mettupalayam) with low city running. By tank full method, I get 15.X with spirited driving and 17.X with sedate driving (all with 3 on board & luggage). I do not think 2018 will see changes unless you are keen on resale value.
Thanks Prabhagar[:)]
The Price Quoted for me (Tiago XZ 1.05D W/O alloy)
Ex Showroom : 563163
AMC 1 YR : 4270
Insurnce 0% dep : 26010
Road tax, RST,
Reg-Fee,
Basic Accessories : 71616
EWP : 7131
On Road Price : 672190
Temp Charge 4500

In the above breakup what all possibilities is there to reduce the cost?
anyway Mat and all i'm gonna buy from outer market only.
Your Suggestions Please

Thread Starter #532

Thanks Prabhagar[:)]
In the above breakup what all possibilities is there to reduce the cost?
anyway Mat and all i'm gonna buy from outer market only.
Your Suggestions Please
Please see below:
Insurance: Buy outside/online, it will cost ~18K including zero depreciation cover (bumper to bumper).
AMC: Not required. I recommend buying P2P for 4 years/60K km which is more bang for the buck.
RTO: Road Tax for TN is10% of ex-showroom price and reg-fee won't cross Rs1000, the rest is profit for dealer (with little bribe to RTO). I am not sure what the Temp Charge is for.

Please see below:
Insurance: Buy outside/online, it will cost ~18K including zero depreciation cover (bumper to bumper).
AMC: Not required. I recommend buying P2P for 4 years/60K km which is more bang for the buck.
RTO: Road Tax for TN is10% of ex-showroom price and reg-fee won't cross Rs1000, the rest is profit for dealer (with little bribe to RTO). I am not sure what the Temp Charge is for.
Insurance I 'll do outside.
Could you enlighten me what's P2P is about?
I 'll ask the TML people what can can be reduced further in the tax and accessories.
Temp charge is Temporary registration charges.

Thread Starter #534

Insurance I 'll do outside.
Could you enlighten me what's P2P is about?
I 'll ask the TML people what can can be reduced further in the tax and accessories.
Temp charge is Temporary registration charges.
Please read below posts:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-pictures-tatas-tiara-43.html#post523032
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-third-service-update-16.html#post522550
Temporary registrration is not required if you are registering in same city. It's just another way of looting by dealerships.

Thread Starter #536

I got the 'check engine' light twice this month (16th and 27th Sep) with fluctuations in RPM and weird noises while car was idling. In both cases, I had just started the car after few hours of parking. Ironically, I was called by my dealership for ECU update just one day before second occurrence so I thought something was being fixed by TML. Once I checked in to TASC, my SA found no such update for my VIN and he called up the lady who called me the prior day, only to find out it was a wrong call [lol].
Since I drove up to them all the way from home, I informed about the above issue and asked for ECU re-flash with whatever version it picks up from their servers (happens via internet). After few hours of waiting at the lounge, I was called up to take delivery. Upon asking for the version installed, they said it's RN13 which is the latest version as far as we know from social networking. I have driven only for about 20KM since this update and did not feel any difference in power delivery so far. I will update after a couple of full tanks if there is noticeable change in mileage. On a casual chat with the manager, he said a possible reason for check engine light and misfiring could be water due to rains (the whole month was rainy here in Coimbatore). Whatever the reason be, I am happy that I finally got the latest ECU version installed. A few pics for this update [:)]:

At Burliyar on a Sunday short drive up-hill:
IMG_20170910_130555.jpg

Last weekend car wash + Sonax BSD coat:
20170924_121101.jpg

Still running with asymmetric ORVM colors. Yet to shop for gloss black carbon fiber wraps for ORVMs:
20170924_120932.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: 10,000 Kms Milestone

Tata Tiago Harman Engineering (Service) Menu
Credits: This post would not have been possible if not for Sanmeet ji who shared this with fellow Tiago owners via social networks.
@prabhagar
Can you ask your friend how the reverse parking sensors, parking brake status , light controls and lick controls are integrated with the HI? Is it through CANBUS? I was planning to install a touch screen based HU to integrate the reverse camera.
I asked Tata customer for a service manual. But I'd avoid buying it if I can get the info from somewhere.

Thread Starter #538

@prabhagar
Can you ask your friend how the reverse parking sensors, parking brake status , light controls and lick controls are integrated with the HI? Is it through CANBUS? I was planning to install a touch screen based HU to integrate the reverse camera.
I asked Tata customer for a service manual. But I'd avoid buying it if I can get the info from somewhere.
Hey,
Sorry I lost his contact info, I believe he moved abroad for work and got out of our social networking groups. I got a chance to peak at the rear end of Harman unit and have posted here, if that helps you.
BTW, I am interested in that service manual, did you get an estimate from Tata?

Last edited:

Hey,
Sorry I lost his contact info, I believe he moved abroad for work and got out of our social networking groups. I got a chance to peak at the rear end of Harman unit and have posted here, if that helps you.
BTW, I am interested in that service manual, did you get an estimate from Tata?
Thanks for the photo. It seems that it is a proprietary connector.

I got a reply that someone from the Regional office will contact me soon. Haven't received any price quotation. I'll share it when I hear from them.

Asymmetric ORVMS and alloy wheels wow.
Prabhagar, I am sure you would love the BMW S1000RR superbike. It has asymmetric Headlights and fairing too. Get one [;)]

Top Bottom