Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review

Thank you Prabhagar for the warm welcome and quick reply. My bad that I missed out on reading the part number in the earlier posts, however I have now completely read all the posts in this thread and any new posts will start from my reply now [:D] hence will be easier for me to track this thread further.

I have booked a XZA petrol with Sunburst orange color (for my wife this is our first auto transmission in india in AMT avatar) in June last week on 23rd to be precise, since some festival discounts were running with Tiago in my home town Mangalore along with the GST price slash. I have not taken the delivery yet, due to auspicious time constraints. I have been allotted a vehicle already and trying to get as much accessories (to avoid warranty issues) as possible fitted before the delivery on August 25th. I have got a VIN already I have done initial booking with 2000 INR since I know the showroom guys very well due to previous ownership of Tata Indigo and Safari moreover the sales rep is my friends younger brother. Full payment yet to be done (loan processing done with a psu bank (my better half works here) but money not released since I have withheld the amount to be released to the dealer and will do one final payment in one shot at the time of vehicle RTO registration one day prior to delivery on Aug 24th). I have done the PDI of the vehicle to my satisfaction no major concerns overall with PDI and VIN reads with 10th character as H and 12th character as E.
Thank you very much for penning down all the nitty gritty issues of your experience with the vehicle and the continued effort to keep this thread alive with all the splendid discussions of the technical know how of the vehicle. Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Attachments

Thread Starter #497

Thank you Prabhagar for the warm welcome and quick reply.
Not a problem my friend. Thank you for your time going through the posts, appreciate that! And welcome to Tiago family as well, I have not been able to TD the XZA yet due to several constraints when I visited the showroom. Advance wishes to you on the new ride and looking forward to your ownership experience on our forum soon. [:)]

Thank you Prabhagar for the warm welcome and quick reply. My bad that I missed out on reading the part number in the earlier posts, however I have now completely read all the posts in this thread and any new posts will start from my reply now [:D] hence will be easier for me to track this thread further.

I have booked a XZA petrol with Sunburst orange color (for my wife this is our first auto transmission in india in AMT avatar) in June last week on 23rd to be precise, since some festival discounts were running with Tiago in my home town Mangalore along with the GST price slash. I have not taken the delivery yet, due to auspicious time constraints. I have been allotted a vehicle already and trying to get as much accessories (to avoid warranty issues) as possible fitted before the delivery on August 25th. I have got a VIN already I have done initial booking with 2000 INR since I know the showroom guys very well due to previous ownership of Tata Indigo and Safari moreover the sales rep is my friends younger brother. Full payment yet to be done (loan processing done with a psu bank (my better half works here) but money not released since I have withheld the amount to be released to the dealer and will do one final payment in one shot at the time of vehicle RTO registration one day prior to delivery on Aug 24th). I have done the PDI of the vehicle to my satisfaction no major concerns overall with PDI and VIN reads with 10th character as H and 12th character as E.
Thank you very much for penning down all the nitty gritty issues of your experience with the vehicle and the continued effort to keep this thread alive with all the splendid discussions of the technical know how of the vehicle. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
It seems you have got the vehicle allotted but not registered in your name yet. Is it correct?

It shows 5.36L (XZA) as your city exshowroom after GST.
- You mentioned you have an offer. Can you tell what offer is that?
- How much total you are being told to pay finally?

As I am planning to buy XZA, your info will be helpful to me.

Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: Third Service Update

Guys in the other forum there is a news reported saying Tiago XT Revotron AMT is going to launch. Still not clear whether XZA will coexist with XTA or XTA will be the sole AMT variant. What's Tata thinking ? Any news from your dealers/ insiders ?

Mostly XZA and XTA will co-exist, unless final decision makers @ TATA are stupid.

Safety Standards should be paramount from both company & buyer perspective. So scrapping XZA will be suicidal for the company.

But i am still not sure about XZ/XZA's safety features' effectiveness.
- Unless we have NCAP results for it, we will never know the effectiveness for the additional money we pay
- Should all tiago customers who have bought should petition TATA to prove the safety features' effectiveness (just a thought instead of blinding believing user manual)

Guys,
Below is how my bonnet looks inside. It is June 2017 manufactured one. I feel the rubber padding inside is missing in my vehicle. Can you all confirm how yours look?
IMG_20170812_123356.jpg

Below is the image how it should look with the rubber padding.
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 12.42.43 PM.png

Thread Starter #502

- Unless we have NCAP results for it, we will never know the effectiveness for the additional money we pay
AFAIK, the only additional safety feature that will prove in NCAP is the airbag(s). ABS, EBD, CSC are all preventive safety features which are not tested by them. Still, I would love for Tiago to be put thru NCAP [:)].

Guys,
Below is how my bonnet looks inside. It is June 2017 manufactured one. I feel the rubber padding inside is missing in my vehicle. Can you all confirm how yours look?
We heard in FB that latest batches of petrol Tiago do not have this under-bonnet insulation. I would love to test drive one of these new batches to see if it makes any difference at all.

Last edited:

Guys,
[/ATTACH]
That's bonnet insulation. And most petrols these day's don't need them. If your vehicle is petrol, then I'm sure that's not a big deal. But being a 3 cylinder, I feel that Tiago needs the insulation.

Any Tiago petrol owners can comment on this!

AFAIK, the only additional safety feature that will prove in NCAP is the airbag(s). ABS, EBD, CSC are all preventive safety features which are not tested by them. Still, I would love for Tiago to be put thru NCAP [:)].

We heard in FB that latest batches of petrol Tiago do not have this under-bonnet insulation. I would love to test drive one of these new batches to see if it makes any difference at all.
Ok thanks prabhagar. Can you guys let me know how I can join the fb & WhatsApp groups of Tiago owners you are part of.

There is a mechanism like Balancer Shaft which decreases vibration in 3 cylinder petrol engines.
- Tigor comes with this from the launch & but Tiago didn't had it when launched
- As per TASS guy, TATA have resolved vibration issues from March'17 models - that's why insulation is missing after March'17 models.
- I am thinking they might have introduced balancer shaft in Tiago also from March'17 onwards

Anyway I am following up with TATA Regional Manager to have this insulation fixed in my vehicle for better NVH

Last edited:

@badru, mine is Nov 2016 manufactured car and it comes with the insulation. Is the insulation only missing only in automatic variant in recent batches or even in the manual petrols? I guess it might be some cost cutting as their margins on Tiago were low.

@badru, mine is Nov 2016 manufactured car and it comes with the insulation. Is the insulation only missing only in automatic variant in recent batches or even in the manual petrols? I guess it might be some cost cutting as their margins on Tiago were low.
Mine is XZ Petrol (Not XZA) June'17 manufactured.

I am 100% sure - until Feb'17 manufactured ones, insulation was present.

But i am still not sure about XZ/XZA's safety features' effectiveness.
Variants without airbags are bound to score 0.

:agree:

P.S. My Manza didn't had airbags, this was one of the reason why we sold it.

Thread Starter #508

Ok thanks prabhagar. Can you guys let me know how I can join the fb & WhatsApp groups of Tiago owners you are part of.
Please search for "All-India TATA Tiago Owners Membership club (ATOM club)" group in Facebook. From there, you can contact admins and get added to WhatsApp groups.
I don't believe your TASC guy's word about resolving vibrations, unless they added balancer shaft in Tiago. Please do update us if you happen to get any official (written) feedback from TML on this.

It seems you have got the vehicle allotted but not registered in your name yet. Is it correct?

It shows 5.36L (XZA) as your city exshowroom after GST.
- You mentioned you have an offer. Can you tell what offer is that?
- How much total you are being told to pay finally?

As I am planning to buy XZA, your info will be helpful to me.
Hi Badru,

Sorry for the late reply. I had a corporate discount of 3300 on the ex showroom price to begin with. Other discounts apply on 2900 worth of accessories free (planning on getting side cladding and vinyl matting done). My negotiations began with XT model as I upgraded from XT to XZA I could bargain on more offers (my intention was to buy XZA model itself ). Then my choice of color was white since I knew White XZA are uncommon and figured out from the stockyard inspection which I did with the intent as to how these guys maintain the cars in stockyard. The showroom guys finally convinced me to go for sunburst orange since they had more stock of it. Now for the change in color from white to orange I demanded a further offer of 1200 worth of accessories and a t shirt merchandise of Messi with the promise that I would buy the new activ alloys from them.

I have a list of accessories being planned out. Negotiations still going on for the accessories.

Hope this bit of information helps you in nailing the final offer.

Thanks

Thread Starter #510

Hi Folks,
A quick report on my almost unplanned long drive to Chennai and back (to Coimbatore) this week. I was lucky to find co-riders through my office buy/sell portal, out of which one guy (a friend of mine) was also on the return trip. We started driving on 15-Aug at 6 pm and reached Chennai at 4 am. The return journey started from Chennai at 2 pm and arrived Coimbatore on 16-Aug midnight. It was fun to drive the machine at higher RPMs on the highways, as opposed to my usual drives on single lane roads under 80 KPH. We mostly cruised at 100 KPH at which I feel it is fairly easy to stop as well as increase speeds, should an overtake maneuver is warranted.

Stats:
Total Distance Covered: 1095 KM (includes 100 KM of Chennai city driving)
Average Highway Speeds: 90 to 110 KPH
AC: Always ON
Drive Mode: Always City mode
Total Fuel Consumed: 60 Liters
Fuel Efficiency (MID): 21.7 KPL
Fuel Efficiency (Tank Full): 18.2 KPL
Load (Onward): 4 adults and 4 back packs
Load (Return): 2 adults and 2 back packs

Fuel Log:
I believe the second top up has filled about 1 liter more than normal, probably due to the cut off point on that pump (or cheating). 11.49 as well as 21.32 are quite unusual for the speeds we did in this trip. Moving the extra 1 liter to third fill up results in 13 and 20.4 KPL respectively, which makes more sense going by my prior city/highway runs.
Screenshot_20170817-103205.png

Coated with dust:
IMG_20170816_091141.jpg

On the way back:
IMG_20170816_173910.jpg

Total FE on the MID:
IMG_20170816_235201.jpg

Headlights:
I know many Tiago owners felt headlights to be under powered but I never felt so, especially on the highway. High beams are bright enough and lit up a good amount of road for 100 KPH speeds. I wonder if it has to do with our perception with oncoming traffic's high power bulbs and high beams?

Left Pull:
I have earlier mentioned about a slight left pull and decided to get it sorted out before heading out on a long drive. However, TASC could not fix it even after correcting wheel alignment (off by a small value) and swapping front tires. Though it is a very slight pull which is not so prominent in city and local state road speeds (<70 KPH), on the highway it is easily noticeable. One has to make an effort to keep the car in lane, the car sways towards left after a second or two when steering wheel is let go. I will have to drop it off with them sometime next week for further troubleshooting. These kind of nuances are what TASC's are not knowledgeable enough is my opinion. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom