Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #31
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review

Congrats on your new car. Have you checked the fuel efficiency?
Yes sir, I have checked a few full tanks worth so far. From my observations, city driving isn't yielding decent mileage so far. Below are my approx FE numbers at each full tank:

Full Tank #1: 11.8 kmpl --> Mixed city & highway
Full Tank #2: 13.9 kmpl --> Mixed city & highway
Full Tank #3: 10.6 kmpl --> More than 80% city
Full Tank #4: 15.1 kmpl --> More than 70% highway

Note: I ran more than 300kms on all the 4 full tanks and filled at the same petrol pump.

Dear Fellow TAIgers,
This post is a layman’s observation of driving around his Tiago for about 15 days/1000 KM. I am no good at writing so included several pictures save you from boredom. Looking forward to your comments and critics. Thanks!

Background
I am one of those IT guys who spent a few years abroad (you guessed it right, USA) and returned home earlier this year. One of the necessities after living a relatively luxurious life abroad is “car” and in my case I also wanted it to be safe to drive around, because:
  • I am a new dad and obviously (over)concerned about my baby’s safety.
  • I got used to driving disciplines of the west and nervous of our roads/drivers.
With this in mind, I had my requirements sorted out:
  • Strong structural body that can withstand accidents.
  • Airbags are a must (at least driver side).
  • Budget 5L (max 6L)
  • Comfortable rear seating as my baby and wife will be seated behind most of the time.
  • Nice to have: Decent ICE with steering mounted controls (I change songs/volume often).

The Search
With safety on top priority, I started my search with the Japanese car makers Honda and Toyota (I owned a Civic sedan back in the States). Test drove the all new Jazz and instantly fell in love with it. Then came my second priority - a budget of 5L. The pricing sheet of Jazz SV was slapped on my face and made me walk away with disappointment. Didn’t bother TD’ing other cars as almost all of them were missing one or the other requirements of mine under 5L budget. Safety comes at a premium in our market!

While at this confused state, a friend of mine sent the official review links of Tiago and sat down with me discussing all its good stuff (pricing was not announced back then). I wasn’t impressed with the car just because it was a Tata and for some reason it resembled Indica to me. Slowly my negative bias towards Tata faded away as I read through all the good reviews and TD feedback on forums. Shortly after that, Tiago’s official launch announced the stunning price tag.

We visited a Tata dealership at Coimbatore and found 4 Tiago’s on display. Test drove and realized all those good stuff were actually true and honest. So I went ahead and booked Petrol XZ variant on 20-Apr-2016 with a 4 week waiting period. I made up my mind to accept the risks involved in brand new engine and possible niggles with first few production batches, needless to say Tata’s ASS.

A quick note on other cars I had researched (didn’t TD any of them though):
  • Toyota Etios Liva: So-so looks and interiors. Out of my league on budget.
  • VW Polo: Emissions scandal.
  • Maruti Swift: Poor VFM and safety features. Tight rear seat experience and unusable boot.
  • Maruti Celerio: Considered only because of its AMT transmission.
  • Mahindra KUV100: No comments!
  • Renault Kwid: Didn’t bother as it had 6+ months waiting period.
  • Hyundai Grand i10: Expensive. Boring interior design IMO.
  • Ford Figo: Poor reviews on Petrol engine and arguable build quality in facelift.

PDI & Delivery
My restless wait continued while I was following Tiago news and updates on various forums/news sources. That’s when I joined TAI and also made friends with some nice people on the Tiago WhatsApp group.
My car had arrived at dealer’s stockyard on 24-May and I did a quick PDI on 28-May. Everything looked good with very minor issues (PDI Link). Wrote them a check for balance amount to proceed with temp registration and finalized delivery on 2-Jun-2016.
On the day of delivery, I visited the showroom with my family, signed the paperwork and listened to boring explanations by the CRM person. We were running out of “good” time to take the car to a nearby temple for pooja.

Dealership Experience (SRT Tata, Coimbatore):
Overall, dealership experience was decent. They had the most cars on display and were constantly showcasing their mods to promote sales. My SA’s were courteous amidst hot discussions back and forth on advance part-payment for allotment and handling charges (which I lost to them in lieu of RTO fees of 3K for temp registration). They were open to purchasing outside insurance too. I bought from Royal Sundaram for 16.5K vs their quote of 23.5K from New India. Also they didn’t have the EW and AMC booklets from TML during delivery.

Cost Split Up:
View attachment 203405

Initial Impressions:

Exterior:
  • I have grown to like the squat look of Tiago when looked at an angle from behind.
  • Being one of the few Tiagos in my city, heads turn and I am poked for on-road price, mileage etc. Gratified!
  • Orange paint appears to have two shades (at least to my eyes) in daylight.
  • The turn indicators flashes once for unlock and twice for lock. Not sure if this is the convention in our country. I am used to the opposite. No audible confirmation for successful lock/unlock though.
  • Didn't notice tail lamps at night for a few days until my dad drove it. I always though the entire red piece would glow but this is a pleasant surprise:
    View attachment 203410
  • Rear mud flaps appears do not cover the wheel fully (not sure if this is by design):
    View attachment 203408
  • Front flaps are wide enough:
    View attachment 203409

• More pictures in this post: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...go-petrol-xz-laymans-review-2.html#post505041

Interior:

• Piano black door handles are my favorite. They are placed at the best possible position for me to hold on to. At times I end up holding it even while driving:
    View attachment 203414
  • Comfy seats and rear leg room is sufficient for my needs.
  • No LATCH/ISOFIX anchors as well as manual locking retractor in seat belts (for child seat installation). I ended up using a locking clip that came with my car seat.
  • Dashboard design is crisp, clean and feels premium. Horn pad could be a little wider to be able to use my right thumb:
    View attachment 203412
  • Instrument Console is neat and lets you adjust brightness:
    View attachment 203413
  • Center AC vents can be fully shut but not corner ones.
  • Headlight leveler has a good range. Noticed shortest throw is at 3 and longest throw at 0 setting. Looks inverted to me. Experts?
  • There are two clock displays – one on MID and the other on Harman.
  • There is a black box in passenger foot well area and I hurt my leg once:
    View attachment 203415

Harman ICE:

• Harman is awesome and is neatly integrated with vehicla electronics – rear parking system, phone call handling, Navimaps, follow-me-home lamps, to name a few:
    View attachment 203416
  • All the (illuminated) buttons are well laid out. I like the neat fonts on the buttons and display:
    View attachment 203417
  • The system is smart enough to remember last played song and time even after removing USB drive for a few hours to charge my cell phone.
  • Steering mounted controls covers all the basics: Accept/Reject calls, Mute, Change folders/tracks, Change volume, Change music source. No fast forward/rewind though:
    View attachment 203418
  • Navimaps: Premium features of Navimaps unlocked for up to 4 android devices but only 4 map updates are free (max 2 years, assuming new map updates released every 6 months).
  • Navimaps: I personally prefer Google Maps over Navimaps because the latter does not read out street names during navigation.
  • High Frequencies on the higher side even at zero Treble (range -10 to +10). At times I go negative to suit my taste. Treble lovers will enjoy it.
  • The system is capable of loud volumes which makes door trims vibrate/rattle at full bass. I may have try out a Dampening DIY project down the line.
  • There is a rectangular glossy area which appears to be an IR receiver but I could not get it to work with my phone’s IR blaster (tried Harman DVD player and BluRay player as devices).

Engine and Drivability:

• Engine is eager to revv high and the pickup is decent for normal driving (between peppy and sedate). Can’t wait to reach higher RPMs after the run-in ODO of 1500.
  • Vibes are noticeable during low/idle RPMs and the gear stick vibrates at times too. This is inconsistent/subjective based on feedback from owners on the WhatsApp group.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJYapwKWgBA
  • NVH is decent up to 70kmph and folks like me will enjoy the engine note inside the cabin.
  • I am no expert in steering and suspension but can vouch for the comfort they provide.
  • FE – Did 2 full tank testing and got close to 14kmpl in city mode, mixed driving and AC for 80% of the drive. This is just an observation as I am only around 1000 KM on the ODO.
  • Transmission isn’t the best but does the job. I can feel mechanical parts’ action in my palm at some gear shifts. Coming from auto transmission, I am yet to master perfect gear shifts.
  • There is a soft chime at about 20kmph when driver's seat belt is not buckled. If seat belt is not buckled for a couple more minutes, this soft chime becomes a louder warning chime as if the car is swearing at the driver. [clap]

Some Niggles:

Most of these are minor and not deal breakers for me.

• Front left door isn’t aligned properly with the body panel and it appears as if it’s not fully shut:
    View attachment 203420
  • Often, reverse gear is stuck half way and I end up with a “trrrrrrrr” sound while throttling. Hopefully it didn’t break anything under the hood. I am very cautious these days to ensure complete slotting.
  • Rear parcel tray holder had popped out of its slot (found during PDI and fixed but popped out again). I guess something broke with its locking mechanism that needs replaced:
    View attachment 203419

Accessories on Board:

• The Basics: Got the mud flaps and rubber mats for free (as a result of my lost negotiation for handling charges)
  • No-Name Noodle Mats: Got it done at a décor shop in town for 2.4K (3M quoted me 6K).
    View attachment 203422
  • Jopasu Car Duster: Quick dust removal tool and I love it! (Link)
  • Car Wash Accessories: Ordered these online for my manual car wash cycles:
    • Armor All Wash n Wax(Link)
    • 3M glass cleaner (Link)
    • Jopasu micro fiber cloths and magic wipe (Came with a combo pack but can be purchased separately)

Accessories on Waitlist:

• Seat Covers: I feel Tiago doesn’t need seat covers unless you are at a high risk of food/liquid spills in the car (read kids).
  • Tata OEM covers (full art leather & fabric mixed) looks and feels good at 6.5 to 7K. Enquired some décor shops and none of them have Tiago’s covers yet. Custom fit covers are estimated above 8K for art leather.
    View attachment 203421
  • Vinyls: Our friends DJ bro and rythmicdias have already shared lots of creative PhotoShop designs in Tiago WhatsApp group. Definitely will add some vinyls once orange Tiago becomes common in my city.
  • Dash Cam: Almost purchased Transcend DrivePro 220 but pulled it off looking at cheap alternatives with conflicting feedback. This may or may not materialize.

Closing Notes:
I am quite happy with my decision to purchase Tiago and feel safer driving around with family. Buckle up and Drive safe!

Links/Attachments/Updates:
Vipul's Extensive Review: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...o-review-pictures-tatas-tiara.html#post503946
Tiago User Manual: View attachment 203433
Harman ICE User Manual: View attachment 203436
TML Service Website: Tata Motors Customer Care and Service networks
My PDI Post: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ck-zica-now-renamed-tiago-129.html#post502095
First Service Update: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...go-petrol-xz-laymans-review-2.html#post504965
Amazing Car & review. Am sure you will enjoy it gracefully[:D]

Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles.[clap]
Dash Cam: Almost purchased Transcend DrivePro 220 but pulled it off looking at cheap alternatives with conflicting feedback. This may or may not materialize.
Please do not purchase any cheaper alternative - especially within the price bracket of 2000-3000. Picture quality is poor.
Rather you can go with with SJCam SJ4000. Picture quality is excellent. Do not buy the one with in-built Wifi. Trust me Wifi is too slow and pretty much useless. Providing a link for your easy reference.
NEW Upgraded 2 Inch Wifi OEM SJ4000 Action Camera 1080P Wifi Sports HD | eBay

Thread Starter #34

Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles.
Thank you biplab. So far so good. [:)]

Please do not purchase any cheaper alternative - especially within the price bracket of 2000-3000. Picture quality is poor.
Rather you can go with with SJCam SJ4000. Picture quality is excellent. Do not buy the one with in-built Wifi. Providing a link for your easy reference.
NEW Upgraded 2 Inch Wifi OEM SJ4000 Action Camera 1080P Wifi Sports HD | eBay
The specs looks too good for its asking price of 6K [thumbswink]. Are you using one and if so your experience please? BTW, I had ordered this item from Amazon US and is in-transit through a friend of mine. The stealth appearance of this guy appealed to me on top of its price tag.

Trust me Wifi is too slow and pretty much useless.
Agree with you, and I don't use wi-fi in most cases.I would rather remove the SD card and plug it in a laptop vs wireless transfer methods unless it supports 802.1N/AC[:D].

The specs looks too good for its asking price of 6K [thumbswink]. Are you using one and if so your experience please? BTW, I had ordered this item from Amazon US and is in-transit through a friend of mine. The stealth appearance of this guy appealed to me on top of its price tag.
Yes, I'm using it. It's really good. Day time picture/video is clear. However night time picture quality depends on traffic condition. When you face number of oncoming cars with high beam on, camera tends to focus on the bright light and looses other areas. Still one can make out clearly what is happening.
However I like the one you posted especially stealth part.[:)]

Hello all,

I have booked tiago diesel xz, I would like to join tiago whatsapp group. Can anybody let me know how to get added to tiago whatsapp group.. Are there region specific groups for tiago?

Thread Starter #37

Hello all,

I have booked tiago diesel xz, I would like to join tiago whatsapp group. Can anybody let me know how to get added to tiago whatsapp group..
Bro, you can either:
- post your WhatsApp number as a reply here
OR
- wait for your PM to get activated after 10 posts in TAI

Are there region specific groups for tiago?
There is no region specific group that I am aware of.

Last edited:

Hi Prabhagar,

Is there any ECU upgrade/update done when you visited service centre ?

I saw one post on team-bhp where an owner mentioned there was an ECU update when he visited service centre and engine has become silent post that.

Thread Starter #40

Hi Prabhagar,

Is there any ECU upgrade/update done when you visited service centre ?

I saw one post on team-bhp where an owner mentioned there was an ECU update when he visited service centre and engine has become silent post that.
Hi Puneet,
Yes they upgraded my ECU software during first service @ 1100 kms. Did not notice any difference in engine note, pickup, mileage, or rattling. Everything felt the same except for a lighter clutch. This gear stick noise started a week ago.

On a side note, I raised a complaint for this in TSMC app and they sent a service rep to review my problems and took the car for inspection. They also gave me a loaner car until my Tiago gets back home. Sweet [:D].

Hi Puneet,
On a side note, I raised a complaint for this in TSMC app and they sent a service rep to review my problems and took the car for inspection. They also gave me a loaner car until my Tiago gets back home. Sweet [:D].
WOW ! [glasses]Are you sure it was the TATA guy and not the friendly neighbourhood thief ?[lol]

Wow. A loaner car Looks like Tata is really trying hard to improve their after Sales service. If they continue this, soon they will be back to their old glory.

Hi Puneet,
Loaner car[:)]
Seems like Tata not taking any chance with Tiago complaints and trying hard to provide as much as they can & have happy Tiago owners.

Way to go Tata. keep caring like this and soon you will top the charts in return.

one thought- Its not easy to win the customers heart however once done you will reap the best out of it, as most of the times heart wins over head; specially when it comes to brand value.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45

Hey Guys, TML service team has successfully rectified by gear lever noise & vibration problems. Here is is how it is at idle RPM now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HANqjf-RE

Watch my previous video showing the issue here

As other members pointed out, it is clear that TML is really working on improving their After Sales Service experience to its customers. Kudos to Tata Motors and their staff [clap]

Top Bottom